PDA

View Full Version : PVP in PSO/PSU?

Ryuzen
Mar 23, 2006, 07:51 PM
Ok im new to this forum so plz keep the flames about the topic since im totally ignorant about it atm. I played PSo offline only while it was out on DC. Since then i have played CoH/CoV and lately LineageII. However i always loved the concept of PSO the best and im glad that a new game is over the horizon. My question is this. Is there pvp in PSOBB atm? and does anyone know if PSU will have pvp implements once it gets underway? I love pvp and personally i think its the only reason i would spend countless hours trying to get the best gear. tyvm

A2K
Mar 23, 2006, 08:06 PM
There's "Battle Mode" in PSOBB, but it's fairly limited in terms of scope compared to other online RPG PvP implementations. Basically you can either go down to the Episode 1 levels and play the game with Player Hit On, or you can use one of eight predetermined rules that will tweak your stats or whatever, level the playing field or not, have different winning conditions.

There hasn't been anything regarding such a mode in PSU.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-03-23 17:07 ]</font>

Ryuzen
Mar 23, 2006, 08:31 PM
so there isnt an open pvp idea or perhaps arena or zones for pvp?

A2K
Mar 23, 2006, 08:37 PM
Not so much, no. Right this moment I don't think such a thing will be available for PSU, but who knows? Maybe it will be available in quest form.

therealAERO
Mar 23, 2006, 09:06 PM
Its still way faster than most PVPs though.

Ryuzen
Mar 23, 2006, 09:09 PM
I kno for a fact that i wanna play PSU, but the only thing that will keep me coming back after a while is if there is some pvp to try those nifty lil weps u get. At least arenas where u get prizes or something...i dunno special weps for raking up points or clothing. Perhaps areas where its opne pvp and u must fight over the rights to take down special mobs etc....i mean honestly i spend 200 hours ++++ trying to get pretty weps if u cant wack someone w em. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif

OdinTyler
Mar 23, 2006, 10:16 PM
I hope that if there is a Battle Mode in PSU, it can have different versions:

1 VS 1
2 VS 2
3 VS 3
etc etc

Team Battles would rock! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ryuzen
Mar 24, 2006, 01:25 AM
well thats cerstainly getting it going. I mean there will be guilds so y not have guild battles over hunting gounds etc.....

Sev
Mar 24, 2006, 01:08 PM
I thought that they mentioned there wouldn't be Teams or Guilds in PSU. Just cards to get in contacts with friends you've met over the course of your playing time.

As far as PvP goes. It would most likely not be teamed based. There's a possibility for that of course. If you look at PvP for PSU more towards the point of... Training... Or evaluating your self against another Guardian. It could take the form or PvP. Since everyone in the game is essentially a Guardian you would have to frown upon unrestricted combat with another Guardian. It just makes sense that you would.

So if they held things like Tournaments and such... The 3v3, 2v2, 1v1, element could take place. I would think that they'd always keep it under a certain guise like that. For the most part, I don't think you would have missions where you battle other Guardians in order to reach a target in the feild, but this could apply to tournament activities.

Team Capture the flag tournaments would be fun. I'm not really expecting things like this though. PvP is fun, but I'm just not sure how they'd throw it in there is all.

OdinTyler
Mar 24, 2006, 04:45 PM
Team Battles would be a nice part of Battle Mode. Just something to add to it. Something I've wondered, but, its not necessarily in the game. They have said there wouldn't be Team/Guild setups. You can just write info on your Partner Card, as done on PSO's Guild Cards.

fumatanera
Mar 24, 2006, 04:50 PM
i never like PSO's PvP. the game doesn;t lend itself very well to player only battles. and no one wanted to play with forces *-^

DizzyDi
Mar 24, 2006, 08:36 PM
I think we should expect some sorta PvP in this game. Maybe not at the very beggining but a patch later on might add it. All the cool kids (and by cool kids I mean all the other MMOs) have PvP and it'd be kinda stupid for ST to leave it out. I think we should also expect tournaments for single players and groups...It just makes sense that it'd be added. Just a hunch I have.

Miyoko
Mar 26, 2006, 02:33 AM
PvP in PSO was nice, because it didn't interfere with the PvE. the recent MMOs I quit were ruined because of PvP. I really hate PvP, but if people want to do it, go ahead; i just don't want -my- aspect of the game ruined for something I hate again.

Keep the PvP out of PvE like PSO did, and I'll be happy.

Sev
Mar 26, 2006, 02:03 PM
Well again... This isn't an MMO. Although you will have multiple characters on the game at once, you only actually play with 6 at a time. In a true MMO, you'd be able to play with all of these characters at once, without a limit to how many are in a speciffic zone at once.

Even MMO's that limit the amount of people in a zone at once, only do it for instancing. This is excluding Guild War's where everytime you enter the field your in a seperate instance of the game, and I believe that the new D&D Online game does that as well. Guild War's seems to be the thing closest to the way that PSU is set up, but I think you can have more then 6 people in one instance at a time. As you can with other games I'm sure.

It doesn't seem like a question of if, only a question of when. They may include it for those who love that element of gameplay. The problem with PvP is... Suddenly the prices on items raise because everyone wants to be completely maxed out for PvP and it starts to mess with the economy. Like how in WoW I can sell a level 15 sword for 65 Gold... Well, I don't think we'll have to worry about that here though.

AzureBlaze
Mar 27, 2006, 12:11 AM
I would imagine that PSU will have PVP.

First off as mentioned, most other online games feature some part of PVP. It adds a valued element of replay to it as well. PEOPLE are always different, even though monsters may remain the same. In the later days of DCPSO, BA was HUGE. I was part of that community, and so were quite a few JPs (but they mostly kept to themself)

If Sonic Team actually LISTENED and looked at their mistakes from earlier BA modes, or if they even tried to -play- what they created, PSU could have a totally righteous and all-consuming fun battle.

- no one wanted to fight FOs because they were rediculously overpowered, and gamecube only made it worse. That's why battle pretty much died out on the cube, techs were way too strong = no fun

- Androids were disadvantaged. Anyone else could pick to resta or use a tech for a super powered attack. Androids had a LITTLE more HP/atp but it couldn't ever hope to balance if you were a RAcaseal

-Rangers got dumped on. RA simply couldn't fight any other but RA, in most cases cause they'd lose. There were a few exceptions, but this is not the 'user friendly' way to do it

-Cheating was HUGE. Yea it was huge everywhere but fighting vs people with inf. hp is just frusterating when it goes on your record

I was there when stuff like rule 2, 3, and especially 6 were taken to a high art. The JPs prefered the meseta rule. If you look at what it's come down to in the end (mostly challenge, because again: you're depending on real life interaction for the fun-factor once you're bored of everything else) you can see how valuable interaction based stuff like that is.

The premise of BA was that it was all done in the simulators, to help train hunters. (after all, no monster is as smart as another hunter, so they're cake once you've taken on real live dudes) It could easily be worked into PSU's plot without looking bogus.

If they keep the ability to do 'player hit/on' vs player hit/off games, it'll keep legal PK away, one of their dreaded fears. Legal pk, as the above post mentions is a legitimate fear/annoyance/damper, so they'll probably find a way to keep it in check.

Battle has it's place in fun, let's hope ST can keep it there, and make it great!

Sev
Mar 27, 2006, 01:12 PM
Yeah, I've heard horror stories of Battle Mode vs. Forces...

Most of those problems are already balanced out considering that you pick what you want to be... That helps a good bit. Being able to customize your character would be a great addition and would become very interesting in a PvP enviroment since you never know how you're opponent is spec'd.

Of course... Myself, I'd like to see multiple types of PvP contacts.

BORBAN
Mar 27, 2006, 04:51 PM
I want a pvp in it so that if anyone wants to talk crap to me. they can try to back it up

BORBAN
Mar 27, 2006, 04:53 PM
battling a force is almost certain suicide, but with 4 perfect resists and Tsumikiri J-Sword you should do okay....unless your a ranger. then there may be trouble.

Ryuzen
Mar 27, 2006, 08:25 PM
At the very least i would like to see arenas (even if the battles are VR for "training purposes") I think its fun to fight real people since for the ost part ull be trying to get some rare drop. IMO i wouldnt see the point of playing the game if it was just to get rare drops....u can do that in any game. Now if they allow u to pvp w those neat weps, then u have a reason to get better weps or lv up.

Sev
Mar 28, 2006, 12:47 PM
Personally I've never leveled up for the sake of PvP.

The only reason that I play a game like this, is to play with others. Now, at some point, PvP might peak my interest. But for the most part the fun of the game isn't just leveling up and collecting rares. It's having a unique character, meeting up with other unique characters, and grouping up with them.

Whether it has PvP or not, for the most part, people will still get this game and play it for what it is. Even Battle Mode didn't come around til later, so you can guess they'd do the same thing. There's no point in just eliminating that aspect. It won't be my incentive to level though, although it's to each his own ya know?

Expect it to be there. It might not be there immediately though, since there were no announcements for it.

ANIMEniac
Mar 28, 2006, 06:34 PM
battling a force is indeed unhealthy, or even against a good HUnewearl. but i think what will help alot is the controls. now that you can strafe and run more smoothly it should be easier to dodge many techs. in PSO there is the dreaded walk perion where you must walk before you run. whitch sucks because i have gotten killed manytimes in and out of battle mode because i couldnt run from a tech or attack.

fumatanera
Mar 29, 2006, 12:37 PM
On 2006-03-28 15:34, ANIMEniac wrote:
battling a force is indeed unhealthy, or even against a good HUnewearl. but i think what will help alot is the controls. now that you can strafe and run more smoothly it should be easier to dodge many techs. in PSO there is the dreaded walk perion where you must walk before you run. whitch sucks because i have gotten killed manytimes in and out of battle mode because i couldnt run from a tech or attack.

yeah there are alot of things to make PvP more indepth than PSO was. quick!! slowly walk and then run for your life!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fumatanera on 2006-03-29 10:55 ]</font>

DamonKatu
Mar 29, 2006, 01:36 PM
Agree (they both tip-toed out of the FOmarl's sight)

Ryuzen
Mar 29, 2006, 05:07 PM
I think a good way to incorporate it would be to have a ship dedicated to pvp...kind of a "guardians test of ability" competitions. they can have multiple arenas withing in certain lv ranges ofc. and people could see them through eiter being there, or if they would make em in VR people may view through a watching station or w/e. I think it would be a fun way to drop back from grinding, other than just talking.

ANIMEniac
Mar 29, 2006, 11:41 PM
On 2006-03-29 09:37, fumatanera wrote:

quick!! slowly walk and then run for your life!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fumatanera on 2006-03-29 10:55 ]</font>

this is most definately going in my sig ^_^

fumatanera
Mar 30, 2006, 08:46 AM
On 2006-03-29 20:41, ANIMEniac wrote:

On 2006-03-29 09:37, fumatanera wrote:

quick!! slowly walk and then run for your life!!

this is most definately going in my sig ^_^

lol when do i get my royalty checks?? oh it's for the Orphaned Children That Want To Become Anime Superheros Charity, well that's ok i guess ^-^

Russ2576
Apr 2, 2006, 03:15 AM
On 2006-03-25 23:33, Miyoko wrote:
PvP in PSO was nice, because it didn't interfere with the PvE. the recent MMOs I quit were ruined because of PvP. I really hate PvP, but if people want to do it, go ahead; i just don't want -my- aspect of the game ruined for something I hate again.

Keep the PvP out of PvE like PSO did, and I'll be happy.

Agreed. Quite frankly, I wouldn't care one way or the other if they don't ever add PvP to PSU. It was just a boring, failed gimmick back on PSO. If they add it at some point, fine, just keep it seperate from the rest of the game.