PDA

View Full Version : ogod the pressure

FOAtHeart
Mar 26, 2006, 08:13 PM
So. I am a violinist. Which some of you may or may not already know. >_>

I have to learn the Gavotte from Mignon for a recital in May, and after that (in August) I'll be auditioning for the Knoxville Junior Symphony Orchestra!

I am pretty confident I can be ready for my recital (even though I won't be able to rehearse with the pianist), but this KJSO audition has me totally stressing out. I have to know all of my scales; right now I only know two or three (as long as I've been playing I should know more, but...) in three octaves. I also have to do a sightreading piece and one that I've prepared with. It is a lot to think about, and even though 6 months seems like a long time I'm not sure it will be enough to learn and master all I need to.

There is also the concern that I won't have enough money to continue my lessons at all, which would absolutely put my plans of auditioning and playing at the recital on hold, indefinitely (because I can't prepare myself for that stuff, are you crazy D: ).

Any advice for dealing with the stress? :<

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FOAtHeart on 2006-03-26 17:43 ]</font>

Sayara
Mar 26, 2006, 10:32 PM
I hate to quote you my friend but:

On 2006-03-25 22:51, FOAtHeart wrote:
Struggle valiantly, Tingl-o!Fofo-o!

Remember not to get overwhelmed and that ya have lotsa people for support. :>

Take it slowly, like you said you have quite some time. Getting flustered isn't the smoothest move in this situation amigo.

Way to make me look hypocritical right? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Dre_o
Mar 27, 2006, 12:04 AM
One way to deal with stress is look at all the things in your life that COULD be worse (I can think of thousands right off the top of my head), then just relax, take a deep breath, and continue on.

And in the butchered words of Zeratul:
"Though we all grieve for the loss stress of mighty Tassadar Fofo, we must continue on."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dre_o on 2006-03-26 21:05 ]</font>

Maridia
Mar 27, 2006, 12:20 AM
STRRRRRRRRUGGLE VALIENTLY, FOSHNIGGY D:<

Just take it one step at a time, for learning. Rushing yourself just makes it worse, as you let yourself be intimidated by the workload. ;o

As for dealing with the stress.. well, listen to tiny tim. XD You know it'll cheer you up for at least a minute or two. And don't worry about not having enough money until it becomes a problem. Worrying unnecessarily makes for no fun. And you've got a lot of people supporting you, babe.

I'd let you slide your bow over MY strings anyday. .. wait, that sounded far worse than intended. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

navci
Mar 27, 2006, 02:17 AM
On 2006-03-26 21:20, Maridia wrote:

I'd let you slide your bow over MY strings anyday. .. wait, that sounded far worse than intended. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

I don't know how else it was supposed to sound.

*hugglez*
I've said all that I have to say.

Daikarin
Mar 27, 2006, 07:30 AM
Don't take it seriously, despite the fact that others might. When you have nothing pressuring you, you can be authentic.

Go practice to the town park or something. (Expect people to throw change at you, though)

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Mar 27, 2006, 04:53 PM
On 2006-03-27 04:30, Daikarin wrote:
Don't take it seriously, despite the fact that others might. When you have nothing pressuring you, you can be authentic.

Go practice to the town park or something. (Expect people to throw change at you, though)

Which helps however soo little on the money problem!

If you run out of money for the lessons, make sure to get in everything you can in each lesson. Stay later? Ask if you can get extra side help for the upcoming recital and audition?

I'm hoping your teacher isn't a money hungry monster here and will sympathize a little with you and give you a break if push comes to shove and money is tight.

Charmander02
Mar 27, 2006, 06:36 PM
Well practice thats all you can really do, it'll raise your confidence in your skillz. Playing in front of family can get some of the stress off playing in front of people.

Daikarin
Mar 27, 2006, 06:59 PM
Oh yeah, the money. If you really want to keep up supporting the classes, make the right financial choices - Play the game of spending money on the most vital things, and less money on the more substantial ones. I read a phrase on an add saying "Having the best is not luxury. It's a question of intelligence". Good luck.

And I hardly recommend getting a part-time, it's more stress for you, not recommendable for the time being.