PDA

View Full Version : The (false) IGN info of 1-16 players got me thinking.

Shade-
Mar 30, 2006, 02:57 PM
I know it's false, they put it up with thier general data, all of which is wrong by now *sigh*

Anyway, most of the other sucessfull MMOs (PSU isn't a true mmo, i know...) have a focus on small group stuff for leveling and general questing and such, right? But, they also have "End game" content, usually made up of crazy difficult areas, and massive MASSIVEly hard bosses, that would be impossible to take down with the standard 5-6 people. As far as we know, there is a strict limit to 6 players. I assume this is to fit hardware limitations of the PS2, the ram specificly, but, there can be over 100 people in a lobby? That dosen't add up, does it? Is the combat engine really that intensive that the PS2 could only handle 6 players without slowdown? If that's the case, It's kindof dissapointing, because I would like to see specific events where you can take groups of 12/16/24 people go into one instance and fight some engredible battles.

Pure hoping and dreaming, I'm bored ; ;

Kayai
Mar 30, 2006, 03:00 PM
actually that is a very good point...it would be cool if the did have a lot of people in there fighting a boss...that also means that the boss will be less dificult...o well

A2K
Mar 30, 2006, 03:12 PM
I imagine the game will only load (and consequently you'll only be able to read the chat of) players who are actually nearby to you in the lobby. It doesn't make any sense having a 100 people in the giant room all talking at once, filling each other's screens with text.

I wouldn't say it was an issue of simply graphics performance but also bandwidth. Combat in PSU looks to be really fast--and more importantly it's a real-time action RPG. MMOs are, although real-time, still very much turn-based, which I imagine helps the server process data about attacks and damage and healing and etc. from so many users at once (since they aren't exactly rapid-firing).

Shade-
Mar 30, 2006, 03:30 PM
good point A2K (are you the IGN A2K?)

The point would not be to make the boss easier though, it is to make an imposible boss somwehat beatable. It would only be for certain missions, but the bandwidth thing makes sense, and would likely be thier reasoning to not include this sort of thing, too bad ; ;

physic
Mar 30, 2006, 05:15 PM
you dont really need to have 12 to 16 people to have a tough boss, look at final fantasy oflline games, where you had weapon class or worse enmies you had to face. Personally i think the many people fighst lessens the importance and relevance of each person. It would be cool to have a real tough boss that required high levels of skill and strategy from 6 people.

BORBAN
Mar 30, 2006, 07:21 PM
Fighting with up to 16 people would definately be a plus but if you had to fight like you were in a bad slom motion picture then I would rather only 6.

Kano-Okami
Mar 30, 2006, 09:44 PM
Heh, bad slowmo.
Reminds me of fighting that crustation in Episode 2, Barta Ray, and it's 'special attack',
the "Lag Bomb".
In essence, high polygon counts can severely slow down gameplay if it isn't coded right, so I look at the 6 player count as more of a blessing then curse..and I mean after all..do you really need 16 people to take down 1 anything?

Duelle
Mar 30, 2006, 11:59 PM
Don't forget what would happen if 50 FO's cast resta at once. I think the big slowdown would be in the particle effects for that many characters.