PDA

View Full Version : PSU Beta test coming

ecchichuu
Apr 1, 2006, 09:11 PM
http://blog.livedoor.jp/takaomiyoshi_pso/archives/50692667.html#comments

Beta details will be announced soon according to Miyoshi's blog. Before April Fool's he posted "I'd like to start the beta soon..." then everyone said he was lying. Today (4/2 in JP) he posted again saying that he wasn't lying about the beta test and details would come soon.

Hopefully it's an open beta (yeah, right). I think there's very little chance of us foreigners weaseling our way into a closed beta.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ecchichuu on 2006-04-01 18:12 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Apr 1, 2006, 09:23 PM
To my knowledge, April Fool's Day is an American holiday (I could be wrong). He COULD be telling the truth, Idk. Guess all we can do is be hopeful to see if we're included on this beta test. Btw, I can't read kanji so I can't see what that page says.

ryuartyi
Apr 1, 2006, 09:37 PM
I smell and April Fool's joke.

Ryna
Apr 1, 2006, 09:44 PM
April Fool's Day is celebrated in other countries besides the United States.

Here is the Google Translation:

Yesterday, topic of the beta test was written, but it is not lie. You think whether we can inform about detailed information in the next few days. Postponement, and sale day undecided truly you think in everyone whom you have expected without excuse. It is good truly, playing to everyone mono, in order to be able to receive, being to be persevered, also in the future we ask may. Seeing good fortune Takao

Google actually did a semi-decent job of making this understanble this time. Essentially what he is saying is that information of a Beta test maybe released in a few days. Like the XBox 360 rumor, we'll just have to wait and see.

For anyone thinking this an April Fool's joke, just keep in mind that he would be a bad sport to keep this joke up for a second day.

ANIMEniac
Apr 1, 2006, 11:37 PM
that would be VERY tasty if there was an open beta. on that note, does any1 know if there is a playable demo out like the one that was in NY last year?

Ryna
Apr 1, 2006, 11:39 PM
On 2006-04-01 20:37, ANIMEniac wrote:
that would be VERY tasty if there was an open beta. on that note, does any1 know if there is a playable demo out like the one that was in NY last year?

You'll probably be able to play a demo at this year's E3.

DizzyDi
Apr 2, 2006, 12:01 AM
OMG BETA TEST? That means that there will possibly be a US one. OH JOY OF JOYS!

ANIMEniac
Apr 2, 2006, 02:18 AM
On 2006-04-01 20:39, Ryna wrote:

On 2006-04-01 20:37, ANIMEniac wrote:

You'll probably be able to play a demo at this year's E3.

sorry if this is off topic but this brings me to a question. how could some1 get into E3 without being in the gaming industry or a winner of a contest?

Getintothegame
Apr 2, 2006, 05:01 AM
Ah, I hope this beta runs more smoothly than the Episode 3 beta! There were quite a few server problems with the PSO3 beta, and bugs in AI.

DarK-SuN
Apr 2, 2006, 05:30 AM
Hopefully they'll be careful with this PSU Beta.
Considering the ammount of VERY eager people, including beta testers, about this game, there's the slim chance one will lend it to a friend (in case it has an offline portion playable), then that friend will give it to a friend who will give it to a friend who will eventually spread it all over the place, thus causing a leak.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarK-SuN on 2006-04-02 03:31 ]</font>

Ryna
Apr 2, 2006, 09:02 AM
On 2006-04-01 23:18, ANIMEniac wrote:
sorry if this is off topic but this brings me to a question. how could some1 get into E3 without being in the gaming industry or a winner of a contest?

To attend E3, you have to be part of the interactive entertainment industry. Even then, it can cost a few hundred dollars to get into the event.

physic
Apr 2, 2006, 10:17 AM
wow this is sad, if they really want to beta test it means tehy were seriously years behind thier initial release date. it also means its really gonna be awhile, with dvds, testing on ps2 requires tehm to mail out dvds, and if the files are huge thats similar for pc. Then you consider that they are just mentioning it now. well at least its possible to get some real info about the game.

Lord_DS
Apr 2, 2006, 01:50 PM
OMFG, tell me its true, tell me its true

NightHour13
Apr 2, 2006, 05:42 PM
Holy carp. if this is true, i will litteraly attack my local moose. thats all i need. beta for PSU and im ready for the summer baby!!

Trinkster
Apr 2, 2006, 08:24 PM
I've never used a beta of anything. What exatly is it?....I know its like a test version of it but like is that the only reason they release it to the public? I would like some details plz.

Espilonarge
Apr 2, 2006, 09:05 PM
If this Beta comes true, let us HOPE to god it won't be as bad as PSOBB. The ammount of crashes I ran into (JPN) and players causing problems (US) was so extensive it was almost abussive. I never want to deal with THAT again..

Uncle_bob
Apr 2, 2006, 09:08 PM
You guys shouldn't get your hopes up.

The beta probably won't be open to the general public, and even if it is it'll likely be JP only. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

Eihwaz
Apr 2, 2006, 09:18 PM
That doesn't really mean much, though, Uncle Bob.

The PSO BB "Open" Beta was JP only, and in theory you had to live in Japan to play it. I managed to sign up, and play, the JP Open Beta, until it went p2p, and then I started paying, and continued to play.

Of course, if it's a CLOSED beta, it might be a lot harder for US people to try it out.

Miyoko
Apr 2, 2006, 09:27 PM
With MMORPGs, there's often far to much content for the developers to play test by themselves, so they open it up to the public and let them do the testing. It's not intended for you to just play the game for free, but rather, to play it, voice your opinions, as well as problems and bugs with the game. It's basicly the last step they take to make sure it's finally ready for release.

OdinTyler
Apr 2, 2006, 10:12 PM
And with PSO & PSU not being "true" MMOs, you can bet it will be a JP-only beta test. It would be nice if we could try it as I've never been part of a beta test. I've always wondered how it would be to do one. I know, it's alot of work, but, I'd have fun too. Basically, I'm agreeing with Miyoko. I don't expect a beta for us. However, if we get it, I'd like to sign up if I could.

Ryna
Apr 3, 2006, 06:03 AM
In today's blog entry:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/takaomiyoshi_pso/archives/2006-04.html#20060403

Takao Miyoshi had the following to say:

As for details of the beta test you think whether it is not to be able to inform in tomorrow. Please wait already for a while.

I would take this to mean we will have to wait a few day for an announcement.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 3, 2006, 07:45 AM
I KNEW IT! Something has gone terribly wrong. They're in such deep shit they've been forced to go to beta.

OR this could simply be sega doing advertising for the real game...at which point my next paper for media & culture just got a whole lot easier.

physic
Apr 3, 2006, 10:17 AM
heh i don't know why some of yall are so excited, if there is a beta its unlikely we will get in, and that fact that there is a beta kind of implies the release date is still fairly far off. Since they have barely promoted the game and revelaed no details, as well as a fall release schedule this will likely be a jp only beta test.

DizzyDi
Apr 3, 2006, 10:23 AM
Beta testing could mean numerous things. It could mean that the single player campaign is done. It could mean that like Jonathan said, its simply to advertise and maybe tweak the game to perfection (close to) before its release at the same time. It could ALSO mean that the game is nowhere near done. Whatever it means, I hope it means that I get the chance to play, if only for a lil bit.

Ryna
Apr 3, 2006, 10:24 AM
On 2006-04-03 08:17, physic wrote:
heh i don't know why some of yall are so excited, if there is a beta its unlikely we will get in, and that fact that there is a beta kind of implies the release date is still fairly far off. Since they have barely promoted the game and revelaed no details, as well as a fall release schedule this will likely be a jp only beta test.

For Blue Burst, the beta period happened a few weeks before the game was released. Even though it was Japanese only, Americans and Europeans were able to play. The difference in this case is that you'll probably need a Sega Link account. The Beta was used to work the final bugs out of the game and advertise it.

According to previous statements made by official sources, the game is essentially done. They are just improving the stability of the game and adding some additional content.

Sev
Apr 3, 2006, 11:11 AM
That's true, not all beta's mean to get ready to wait. Either way, for us not in Japan we should've been prepared to wait until fall. I'd love to get the game sooner, and to get into the Beta would be great, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. Just hoping that the beta goes well, so the game gets finalized.

Mewn
Apr 4, 2006, 05:53 AM
http://segalink.jp/trial/psucbt/

It's a closed beta, 10,000 people max apparently (well, that's what I got when I used web translators on a mail I got from the JP BB staff >_>)

Ryna
Apr 4, 2006, 06:15 AM
It looks like this is a closed Beta for the JP PC version of PSU. You need a SegaLink account to apply.

Could someone translate the "important" information on this page?

EDIT: Takao Miyoshi announced the Beta Registration period on his blog too:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/takaomiyoshi_pso/archives/50697735.htm

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-04-04 04:26 ]</font>

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 4, 2006, 07:18 AM
ya, i'd like to know if I was too late...

Zarode
Apr 4, 2006, 07:21 AM
If at least ONE psoworld member signs up, we'll be good with more info. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif And we can start translating all the major stuff, like drops or minor enemies, and get more details on the story.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 4, 2006, 07:25 AM
ya...the more i read, the more it looks like its going to be a lottery to figure out who gets to test. Dammit, they promised ep 4 beta testers first pickings on the next beta.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2006-04-04 05:39 ]</font>

Zarode
Apr 4, 2006, 07:34 AM
On 2006-04-04 05:25, Jonathan_F wrote:
Dammit, they promised ep 4 beta testers first pickings on the next beta.

Wait, the ep4 beta testers get first pickings or not?

If so, good thing for me because I happen to be one. :^D

Ryna
Apr 4, 2006, 07:44 AM
On 2006-04-04 05:21, Zarode wrote:
If at least ONE psoworld member signs up, we'll be good with more info. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif And we can start translating all the major stuff, like drops or minor enemies, and get more details on the story.

Don't jump the gun too much. There will probably be a nondisclosure agreement that prevents any of the beta testers from saying anything about the game until well after the beta is over.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 4, 2006, 07:50 AM
Actually if any of the zones have already been seen at E3, those we can show since they're considered fair game now, much like how i was able to show the outer crater area of ep 4 in PSM without being sued.

I'm also tempted to do so anyway since we're already breaking the rules by signing up since they request people living in japan.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2006-04-04 05:50 ]</font>

Ryna
Apr 4, 2006, 08:06 AM
On 2006-04-04 05:50, Jonathan_F wrote:
I'm also tempted to do so anyway since we're already breaking the rules by signing up since they request people living in japan.

In this case, two wrongs does make a right. I think Sonic Team would take a harder line for anyone posting information too early. Just keep that in mind if you carry out that plan.

EDIT:
The news story is up. Essentially what is happening right now is that Sonic Team is accept 10,000 applications for a closed beta. Once the registration period ends, they maybe forced to use a lottery to see who gets in.

In order to apply, you need to meet the following requirements: accept the participating agreement, have a Sega Link account, and live in Japan.

Here are the hardware requirements: Windows 2000 (with SP4) or WinXP (with SP2), P4 1.6 GHz process, 256 MB of RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 4 or ATI Radeon 8500, 3.0 GB of HD space, and broadband.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-04-04 06:41 ]</font>

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 4, 2006, 08:41 AM
I doubt they'd come after me. I've managed to get away with magashi kills Dr. Dorson for months now.

Most likely the best plan would be to release vids or what is free game, and then I'll privately pass what can't be shown onto our translation staff. That way, when the game is released, we'll have a ton of content already set.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2006-04-04 06:43 ]</font>

Ryna
Apr 4, 2006, 08:44 AM
On 2006-04-04 06:41, Jonathan_F wrote:
I doubt they'd come after me. I've managed to get away with magashi kills Dr. Dorson for months now.

I believe that spoiler was posted in several Japanese magazines last year, along with several others.

Anyways, this is getting off-topic. Let's try to stay focused on the closed-beta announcement.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 4, 2006, 08:51 AM
I guess the only question left is on the required JP SP2, if the game can detect what version you're using and if it'll block you from using other language versions.

What i don't get is why sega thinks it will take 2 weeks to fill 10,000 slots?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2006-04-04 07:02 ]</font>

coomdoom
Apr 4, 2006, 09:56 AM
it shouldn't take long at all, if gigs can get sold out in 2 hours then 10,000 slots should be filled in days, but it's a shame it is only open to JP, I wonder if ST will do an EU/US one when we get an english PSU website, *that's if we ever do!!!

*over exaturation (however it's spelt)

Lord_DS
Apr 4, 2006, 09:58 AM
When i try to register i get this message http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

http://img6.picsplace.to/img6/17/Sans-titre-3.jpg

Ryna
Apr 4, 2006, 10:01 AM
On 2006-04-04 07:58, Lord_DS wrote:
When i try to register i get this message http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Did you turn on your cookies and login before visiting the registration page?

Lord_DS
Apr 4, 2006, 10:08 AM
googles translate says "Already Phantasy Star Universe closed beta trial for application being completed. It is not possible to accept"

what the ??

and yup iam logged and the cookies are on

Ryna
Apr 4, 2006, 10:23 AM
Are you using Internet Explorer? If you are, I'm not sure what the problem is.

Rainbowlemon
Apr 4, 2006, 10:25 AM
"Already Phantasy Star Universe closed beta trial for application being completed" sounds like you've already applied, and you're trying to apply again. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Lord_DS
Apr 4, 2006, 10:34 AM
OMG, yeah ! Ty ! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Inazuma
Apr 4, 2006, 10:51 AM
ok i signed up and translated the email i recieved. it did mention that they would do a lottery if many ppl signed up and we would be notified via email.

good luck to everyone http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

coomdoom
Apr 4, 2006, 12:51 PM
i say good luck too, i might try and sign up, it would be cool to get on there. I am good at bug testing, the first thing i would do i go hunting for bugs, also i hope that they roll back all the accounts after to make it fair, but if they don't oh well.

Cynric
Apr 4, 2006, 01:06 PM
I can't log into SegaLink. It keeps giving me an error about (I think) the server connection being down. Anyone else getting this? =/

EDIT: Nevermind, PeerGuardian was blocking Sega's connection.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cynric on 2006-04-04 12:02 ]</font>

Shade-
Apr 4, 2006, 01:14 PM
ok, I got my Sega Link ID, and got the confirmation e-mail for that. Logged in and followed the links for the PSU beta and got to a page with the address http://segalink.jp/psucbt/accept_ok (i think) and the bable text is to the effect of "Sega will e-mail you later" a button that takes you somewhere else in the segalink site, and at the bottom explaining about if they get too many the will use a lottery drawing i guess? and that they cannot answer questions (I think, bable is confusing)

I checked my mail and there was another e-mail. it's all untranslated and in computer jibberish, except there is a link to the jp psu site, and a link to segalink.jp

Is this as far as I can go right now? is the beta from the 4th to the 17, or is that when regristration is open?

Does the e-mail just tell me to wait to see if I'm accepted? Someone who is on (or magicly passed) the step i'm on please enlighten me, please?

Ryna
Apr 4, 2006, 01:19 PM
On 2006-04-04 11:14, Shade- wrote:
I checked my mail and there was another e-mail. it's all untranslated and in computer jibberish, except there is a link to the jp psu site, and a link to segalink.jp

Here is the translation I get from the email:

--------------------------------------- "fan TASHI star universe" closed beta trial thank you for an application -- [SEGA link management secretariat] --------------------------------------- Thank you very much for subscribing to a "fan TASHI star universe" closed beta trial. The application of a visitor was heard. I send the notice mail of success in an election to addressing to E mail address which the elected visitor registers into SEGA link later. In addition, in the case of applicant a large number, a strict lottery will determine a successful candidate. * Please understand beforehand that it cannot reply to the inquiry about success in an election. "Fan TASHI star universe" official site http://phantasystaruniverse.jp/ Please give me the "fan TASHI star universe" and SEGA link in the future.

Essentially, it is thanking you for your application. If a large number of people register, they will have ot use a lottery. If you are chosen to play the beta, you will receive another email.

Is this as far as I can go right now? is the beta from the 4th to the 17, or is that when regristration is open?

This is as far as you can go for right now. Sega will be accepting applications until the 17th.

Does the e-mail just tell me to wait to see if I'm accepted? Someone who is on (or magicly passed) the step i'm on please enlighten me, please?

There are no other steps at the moment. It is just telling you that you have to wait.

Shade-
Apr 4, 2006, 01:26 PM
Thanks a ton Ryna. I was just a little confused on if the 4-4 through 4-17 was the actual beta, or the application window, and I was scared there were still things I had to do or I'd miss my chance. Thanks for clearing everything up. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

physic
Apr 4, 2006, 03:01 PM
well, teh beta being for the pc version solves teh problem of working with ps2 dvd architecture etc. speeds up teh whole process. 10,000 people and a closed beta, so i guess its not just for promotion purposes. Well hopefully someone gets in here and can provide more concrete info on the game.

Rainbowlemon
Apr 4, 2006, 05:10 PM
Ohhh I so hope its me. *smile*

GaijinPUnch
Apr 4, 2006, 05:57 PM

You already applied. All you have to do is click that yellow button and your name is in.

GaijinPUnch
Apr 4, 2006, 06:08 PM
On 2006-04-04 15:57, GaijinPUnch wrote:

You already applied. All you have to do is click that yellow button and your name is in.

Part of the TOS is that you have to live in Japan. I wonder how they'll monitor that. :/

Kayai
Apr 4, 2006, 08:09 PM
Hmm....i was thinking of trying to sign up but i guess they are monitering were you live =( O well, this shows that there close to completion

side note*
Im not really tech savy, can an nVIDIA GeForce 6100 run the game?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kayai on 2006-04-04 18:14 ]</font>

GaijinPUnch
Apr 4, 2006, 08:50 PM
Not necessarily. They don't ask when you sign up for segalink. Not sure about if they select you or not.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 4, 2006, 09:49 PM
They could simply restrict the IP addresses you can download from, but that's easily defeated by proxys

Jools
Apr 4, 2006, 10:06 PM
I meet all the criteria and am going to sign up shortly! I'll get my girlfriend and maybe some others to sign up too to increase my chances http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

-Jools

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jools on 2006-04-04 20:08 ]</font>

ShinMaruku
Apr 4, 2006, 11:54 PM
If anybody get's in on this spread all the info you got! This Japan only thing pisses me off.
That and I just want to see if Sonic Team has changed at all...

coomdoom
Apr 5, 2006, 02:16 AM
no, this info should not be spread until the game get's released, like jonathan_f said at some point, if he get's he he will pass information on secretly/privatly to the translation team, if i get in i am willing to do this as well. but i am not spreading to the public.

RadicalEd
Apr 5, 2006, 02:27 AM
curse all you lucky buttmonkees with credit cards! (T - T)( ``))

coomdoom
Apr 5, 2006, 07:05 AM
it's free

Zarode
Apr 5, 2006, 07:26 AM
You know, even if you guys don't release anything to the public, someone will. It's only a matter of time. And don't look at me, I'm not intrested in to treading into unknown waters. I could play Japanese BB, like most, because we have already played through most of the game. I could only see a bigger challenge from the fact that all of you are going to be playing a game you don't even understand. The translation team is clearly not going to beable to help you if they don't release SOME info. Even if it is released secretly...

I see a lot of problems from this. It might actually be best if we actually stay out...

Ryna
Apr 5, 2006, 07:36 AM
On 2006-04-04 21:54, ShinMaruku wrote:
If anybody get's in on this spread all the info you got! This Japan only thing pisses me off.
That and I just want to see if Sonic Team has changed at all...

Considering the beta is going to be using the Japanese version of the game, requiring that you live in Japan is not unreasonable. They need people that can read the in-game menus and make bug reports on the beta-only JP forums. Afterall, the point of this beta is just to work on the final nagging bugs and not to sell the public on it. There will probably only be a limited amount of material released during this time period anyways. I know everyone here is eager to play, but you may walk away with an unfavorable opinion of the game if you base your experiences soley on this beta. The servers will be prone to crashing and several nasty glitches may turn up.

Besides, most companies are fairly quick to take action over NDA violations. If you are going to apply to this beta, you should only do so with the intention of doing bug testing.

DarK-SuN
Apr 5, 2006, 07:42 AM
I signed up, let's see how it goes.
If I do get selected to beta test PSU I'll obviously be forced to follow any sort of NDA, but will share PSU info with PSOW's staff so that the PSU page of PSOW gets ready to be "released" once the NDA is lifted/the beta is over, much like J_F is thinking of doing.

OdinTyler
Apr 5, 2006, 08:36 AM
Well, there's one thing I can mention from the demo. I don't know if it counts as a bug. One time in passing through the Forest area, the NPCs were getting on my nerves not protecting me. LOL Anyway, I got sick of it & ran up ahead. Somehow, I ended up in another area all alone & they had no real way of protecting themselves. Eventually I managed to reunite with them. I know this isn't part of the story because they didn't do that before. Normally, they follow you around in that part.

GaijinPUnch
Apr 5, 2006, 09:12 AM
WTF are you guys talking about releasing? You realize that they're only going to allow the chose 10,000 people play the game right? You can bit torrent the demo software all you want -- w/o a valid ID that's been selected for the beta, it's just a lot of 1's and 0's.

DarK-SuN
Apr 5, 2006, 09:18 AM
We mean release information, not the demo. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
Closed betas tend to have NDAs, PSU will surely be no different, so information would have to be released only to trusted people (PSOW staff) so that the PSU page is more prepared once the NDA is lifted.
That's essentially what we meant.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 5, 2006, 09:38 AM
actually you may be wrong on that. If this does get torrented, we may at least get a sample of the soundtrack if they're still using .oggs

zandra117
Apr 5, 2006, 01:22 PM
On 2006-04-05 07:12, GaijinPUnch wrote:
WTF are you guys talking about releasing? You realize that they're only going to allow the chose 10,000 people play the game right? You can bit torrent the demo software all you want -- w/o a valid ID that's been selected for the beta, it's just a lot of 1's and 0's.

Unless you modify it and set up a private server

physic
Apr 5, 2006, 01:32 PM
its not too easy to set up a private server depending on what the game is running, and not knowing what exactly is going on server side.

EspioKaos
Apr 5, 2006, 05:12 PM
On 2006-04-05 07:38, Jonathan_F wrote:
actually you may be wrong on that. If this does get torrented, we may at least get a sample of the soundtrack if they're still using .oggs
That's what I'm hoping for. Maybe then I'd be able to work some more on my MIDI of "Raphon Plains," and possibly even finish it. That, and it'd be nice to finally have more PSU music to listen to besides "Save This World" and a few random clips recorded from SonicTeam's live video stream from last year.

vitius137
Apr 5, 2006, 06:21 PM
Hi everyone. (I'm new to forums) I recently made a PSO world account (I tried 5 different email addresses before i found out that only my yahoo.ca email worked)

Anyway, I recently signed up for the beta test (took forever to figure out the constant errors I was getting)and I just wanna wish everyone luck on being accepted into the beta test. Does anyone know how i can get a Japanese language pack for windows? When I try to turn them on it tells me that I need the Windows XP CD.... which I don't have.

Shade-
Apr 5, 2006, 06:51 PM
i imagine they set it as JP only because they need it tested and the work to translate it to english would be counterproductive to the purpose of the closed beta itself.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 5, 2006, 07:37 PM
Actually the question isn't of the language pack, its if you need an actual XP JP installation.

GaijinPUnch
Apr 5, 2006, 07:44 PM
Actually the question isn't of the language pack, its if you need an actual XP JP installation.

This is extremely easy to get around. Gotta love Windows.

And yeah -- Sega is big on their NDAs of anything. They had one for the EpIV beta. I'm sure people will be talking about it all over the net though, so no big deal. I remember IGN posting stuff about the PSO beta before version 1 on the DC came out.

Russ2576
Apr 7, 2006, 01:53 PM
Makes no sense that they're not including the PS2 version in this beta test. You'd think they'd want to test it out too, for any bugs that may only happen with it.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 7, 2006, 10:22 PM
cost too much to make the disks. windows, its just a multi gig install file.

OdinTyler
Apr 8, 2006, 06:46 AM
Now that I think about it, I may have to agree with Jonathan on this. CDs are only 1 dollar each, but, DVD-ROMs would be significantly more. Multiply this by 10,000 beta testers & that's some serious cash.

scott1114
Apr 8, 2006, 08:19 AM
well i hope for you guys to get into the beta and i also hope that if you can you can send us videos from geameplay.

cant get in my PC sux gotta have to wait for ps2...

DarK-SuN
Apr 8, 2006, 10:20 AM
Good point about the OGGs, didn't even remember that.

If what they're doing is mostly test the PSU network, the PC version would work just as well (since both share the servers), thus saving some funds in the process (as mentioned before, so I don't have to repeat why).

maoZedong
Apr 10, 2006, 04:46 PM
so when do we know who got in?...the 17th?

OdinTyler
Apr 10, 2006, 05:47 PM
Well, the registration ends then. Expect selections over the next couple of days to weeks after. I'm sure ppl would be let known by email or perhaps some page on the PSU site.

GaijinPUnch
Apr 13, 2006, 12:28 AM
I don't think we'll find out until after the 17th. They said it's only a lottery if over 10,000 people sign up. I wish it was decided by compiled hours on previous versions. I think it'd be safe to say myself and quite a few others here would get in.

coomdoom
Apr 13, 2006, 04:46 AM
but that would be unfair if it was done like that

OdinTyler
Apr 13, 2006, 08:05 AM
On 2006-04-12 22:28, GaijinPUnch wrote:
I don't think we'll find out until after the 17th. They said it's only a lottery if over 10,000 people sign up. I wish it was decided by compiled hours on previous versions. I think it'd be safe to say myself and quite a few others here would get in.

If that were the case, I'd be a shoo in. I have over 600hrs on JUST my FOmarl alone. Add in close to 450 hrs on DC for her as well. Then of course, all the other chars Ive had on both versions. Basically, we're talking thousands of hours. LOL Nah, they wouldn't go by that. To be 'fair' it has to be a random draw. Its too bad they didnt do what they did with EQ PC players. Anyone who played the original PC game & went to EQ2 got something for it. I forget what, but, this is what my stepbrother (who was playing that) told me.

_Tek_
Apr 13, 2006, 11:02 PM
I hope those who get into the beta can take videos and such to share.

maoZedong
Apr 13, 2006, 11:12 PM
if I got in the beta, I'd video tape it, and then sell the clips to people for $$$...laws against this?...so what!...
lol

coomdoom
Apr 14, 2006, 08:20 AM
ifi get in I will make some stuff with fraps, won't be very good but will be something for people who don't get into the BETA to get their teeth stuck into.

Kimil
Apr 14, 2006, 02:23 PM
I want to download the Beta test, but I need a Sega Link account... Could Someone Translate the Registration page? Or Let me use their Acount to downoad the Game?

coomdoom
Apr 14, 2006, 02:43 PM
look on the front page and look under the Phantasy Star Universe section on the navbar on the left, click on sega link.

scott1114
Apr 14, 2006, 04:29 PM
Does the registartion period end after April 17th or does the beta ends after that? cuz that's what that site meant, although I doubt it
http://videogames.yahoo.com/newsarticle?eid=449978&page=0

scott1114
Apr 14, 2006, 04:32 PM
Gamespot too now
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/phantasystariv/news.html?sid=6147257

coomdoom
Apr 15, 2006, 04:12 AM
the regstration period ends on the 17th (monday).

scott1114
Apr 15, 2006, 08:21 AM
alright thx anyways i'm not in my comp blows

Jools
Apr 15, 2006, 08:40 AM
And don't forget that Japan is in "the future" compared to America and Europe so you should get your application in the day before.

-Jools

OdinTyler
Apr 15, 2006, 05:54 PM
In other words, you really have til mid day on the 16th. After then, you risk being left out of the registration.

Jools
Apr 15, 2006, 09:36 PM
Not everyone lives in the USA though http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

In Britain for example, its 4pm or so ^_^

-Jools

OdinTyler
Apr 15, 2006, 10:16 PM
I was just estimating. From the east coast, it's approximately a 12 hr difference. Just offering help as some ppl might try to apply on the 17th & find out they're too late because of where they live. You're lucky you live in Japan. I'm dying to go there!

vitius137
Apr 15, 2006, 11:28 PM
in grade 12 im planning to go to Japan.... Me and my friends are gonna go to the XBox 360 lounge (empty) and turn it into a DS Lite lounge ^_^

BogusKun
Apr 17, 2006, 04:34 AM
On 2006-04-02 19:18, Eihwaz wrote:
That doesn't really mean much, though, Uncle Bob.

The PSO BB "Open" Beta was JP only, and in theory you had to live in Japan to play it. I managed to sign up, and play, the JP Open Beta, until it went p2p, and then I started paying, and continued to play.

Of course, if it's a CLOSED beta, it might be a lot harder for US people to try it out.

however there was a torrent for it. PSU... torrent?