PDA

View Full Version : I hope this isn't the final box art

A2K
Apr 3, 2006, 06:42 AM
http://www.sega.co.jp/pc/psu/images/package_l.jpg

Forgive me if this has been posted before, but am I the only one who notices the, er, rather "strategic" placement of the spaceship (is that the Landeel?) in relation to Magashi?

It should probably be revised, is all I'm saying. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Ryna
Apr 3, 2006, 06:45 AM
This topic has been brought up before and the same statements about the position of the ship have been made...

EspioKaos
Apr 3, 2006, 09:31 AM
On 2006-04-03 04:42, A2K wrote:
Forgive me if this has been posted before, but am I the only one who notices the, er, rather "strategic" placement of the spaceship (is that the Landeel?) in relation to Magashi?

It should probably be revised, is all I'm saying. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif
Is it really that bad? I probably never would've thought about it that way had so many people not brought it up.

DarK-SuN
Apr 3, 2006, 11:22 AM
Same here, I'd have never thought of the ship position being "so close to you know where" for the same reason.
Some people and their sick minds. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif
I still look at it and see it as purely casual.

Bot-Bot
Apr 3, 2006, 07:09 PM
Personally I like the box art, it kind of reminds me of the Episode 1 & 2 box.

Eihwaz
Apr 3, 2006, 09:16 PM
Ugh, I don't much like this box art. Too much purple on the right, and I only just now noticed the phallic context of the ship. >_>;

Magashi at the top and Ethan in the middle look fine, it's just the edges that bug the hell out of me. I'm personally hoping for the minimal white box art that was used for the cover of some pre-order thing Ryna posted pics of a while ago.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2006-04-03 19:16 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Apr 3, 2006, 09:23 PM
Can't anyone see the ROLE-PLAYING aspects of this? The cover is easily explained:

1. Forget about 'all the purple on one side'. It meshes well with the darkness on a good part of the cover.
2. The ones Ethan he knows he can trust are on one side. Tylor, the 'mystery man' is on the other.
3. Magashi being the resident villain looms in the back as those of the dark ways usually do.
4. Ethan being the hero of the story naturally takes center place.

It's as simple as that. Oh...& stop focusing on the phallic-ness of the Landale (Landeel is the JP spelling). If people keep focusing on that, maybe it's the mentality of some people that wanted that image to be conveyed on their design or others that choose just to notice that above all else. Guys & girls are going to be playing this game. It's really poor taste to keep bringing that up.

Eihwaz
Apr 3, 2006, 10:27 PM
I don't care about the "role-playing" aspects of the cover. I want a cover that is pleasing to look at. I can't "forget about all the purple on one side." It's a big huge blob of purple, and it drags your eyes to it. It's annoying.

I'd much rather have a nice, clean, minimal cover. Or, hell, a simple cover that's not overloaded with OMG STUFF! Or, at least, something that has balance. PSO's cover has a lot of stuff on it, but it works well because it's pretty well balanced.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Eihwaz on 2006-04-03 20:28 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Apr 3, 2006, 10:38 PM
I disagree. Depending on which version of PSO you own, the regular NPCs are all over the place on the cover. If you're going to take it from an artistic point of view, it's not consistent as PSU's cover(s) are. The one thing that the PSO covers had in common is that a HUmar (being Ash) is the centerpiece.

Eihwaz
Apr 4, 2006, 12:06 AM
I know that it's not Ash on the cover. Rather, it's just the default HUmar. I know this because Ash's section ID is Viridia, but the HUmar on the cover is clearly a Redria. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

OdinTyler
Apr 4, 2006, 12:54 AM
Picky, picky. You know what I mean. Just like you could say the RAmar is "Bernie" etc.

Espilonarge
Apr 4, 2006, 04:14 AM
*snickers* I won't comment about the ship placement. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DarK-SuN
Apr 4, 2006, 04:28 AM
On 2006-04-03 19:23, OdinTyler wrote:
Can't anyone see the ROLE-PLAYING aspects of this? The cover is easily explained:

1. Forget about 'all the purple on one side'. It meshes well with the darkness on a good part of the cover.
2. The ones Ethan he knows he can trust are on one side. Tylor, the 'mystery man' is on the other.
3. Magashi being the resident villain looms in the back as those of the dark ways usually do.
4. Ethan being the hero of the story naturally takes center place.

It's as simple as that. Oh...& stop focusing on the phallic-ness of the Landale (Landeel is the JP spelling). If people keep focusing on that, maybe it's the mentality of some people that wanted that image to be conveyed on their design or others that choose just to notice that above all else. Guys & girls are going to be playing this game. It's really poor taste to keep bringing that up.

Amen, Odin.

A2K
Apr 4, 2006, 10:46 AM
I'll have you know that I've only brought it up once. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

As far as RPG covers, go, I suppose it's par for the course. The purple doesn't really bother me a whole lot, although it does seem a little unbalanced. The phallic placement of the Landeel/dale is a serious oversight, in my opinion, purely on the observation that people keep noticing it. The game would do well without that kind of attention. Yes, it's immature and in bad taste, but that doesn't change that it's there. The last thing people should attach in their minds to PSU is that "it has the ship hilariously placed on the cover."

And, I'm aware that "Landale" is the standard Romanization. It's nags me a bit, though, at the slight discrepency between the sounds; if it was 100% absolutely supposed to be Landale it should be using slightly different kana, but I suppose overall it's more than acceptable. At least I didn't bring up what the "Farasu" for Dark Falz is closer to (which would bring things full circle considering the original premise of this thread.)

F-o-x
Apr 4, 2006, 10:53 AM
I didn't even take notice of the placement of the ship until someone brought it up in another thread, and I'm the biggest pervert I know.

Also I can't remember who said this (in the other thread on the box art) but I agree wholeheatedly: "The box can be rendered in crayon for all I care, I just want the game."

Mewn
Apr 4, 2006, 02:37 PM
I like the box a lot, I don't usually stare at box art much but I have for PSU.

And I never noticed the ship placement.

_Tek_
Apr 4, 2006, 02:53 PM
"it looks like his penis, hilarious, let's make a thread about!"

Skuda
Apr 4, 2006, 04:22 PM
On 2006-04-03 20:27, Eihwaz wrote:
I'd much rather have a nice, clean, minimal cover. Or, hell, a simple cover that's not overloaded with OMG STUFF! Or, at least, something that has balance. PSO's cover has a lot of stuff on it, but it works well because it's pretty well balanced.

I must agree with you Wazzy. The minimalistic box that we saw months ago with the PSU logo surrounded by white was rather striking. Infact, I was hoping that would end up being the cover.

This one is much too crowded for my liking. It seems as though their target audience is halfway between small children and teenagers. And really, how many of us are buying PSU because of it's offline mode? I'd personally like less focus on ethan and more focus on online.