PDA

View Full Version : haking and PSU

ANIMEniac
Apr 3, 2006, 10:16 PM
the other day i was talking to my friend about how i heard that PSOBB experiences hackers also even tho it is server side saving then it hit me! PSO had been running on virtualy the same engine since dreamcast, so ofcourse hackers would be able to grow better at hacking the game.but since PSU is gunna be running totaly different, hackers wont be able to use programing that they used for the PSO's because it is a totaly different game engine. umm yea this just hit me... and tho i cant say that NO ONE will hack, because it even happenes on games like WOW and GW, that it hsould be a while, take longer, and easier to keep supressed. hey if Guild wars can do it and they are a free server... PSU should mose def be able 2.

BORBAN
Apr 3, 2006, 10:28 PM
I really hope they don't ever get any hackers.
Mainly for the fact that they take all the super rare weapons and spread them all over so much that it's common to see even the greatest and rarest of weapons and in the hands of everyone at that.
That pisses me off and all the other people who found their weapons legit. Though I'm not sure some of mine are. Since I've heard all Dark weapons are hacked. Still I really hope there won't be any hackers at all.

A2K
Apr 4, 2006, 10:23 AM
Duping will likely be among the first (and maybe only) things to crop up. It always is. It's hard to say what else is going to go on, but based on PSOBB alone it will probably be free of some of the scarier hacks (unless some large security hole crops up).

I imagine it will depend on GMs and the presence of an easy-to-access "cheater hotline" for reports of unscrupulous activity.

Ryna
Apr 4, 2006, 10:30 AM
As with any game, cheats will probably be released at some point. This is especially true for the offline Playstation 2 game. For online play though, Sega seems to be taking security rather seriously. All characters will be stored on the servers. Also, it is likely that the PC version will require Gameguard, even for "offline" play. There is also a good chance that Sega will be employing a new network encryption model for the online game. That will take a while to break. As such, you won't be seeing any proxy programs for a while.

F-o-x
Apr 4, 2006, 10:59 AM
I hope and pray that we don't have any hacking at all in PSU, and I take comfort in the fact that Sega seems to be taking it very seriously for PSU. If there is some sort of hacking that crops up, lets hope its on a very small scale comparable to say, FFXI.

Foxfire15
Apr 4, 2006, 12:44 PM
Hmm, well, I'm hoping that it doesn't get hacked as well. I started playing on the GCN, and I enjoyed it, that is, until the FSODer attack basically wiped out all population on the US and UK servers. >_<

Pseudo
Apr 4, 2006, 04:46 PM
If you look at games like Maple Story for instance, they have gameguard which is updated with every patch. Even though there are people who can bypass such security measures, the method turns away most hackers as it gets increasingly difficult to 'trick' gameguard with every new patch.

The server side saving is a godsend, believe me, i rarly see any hacked items or levels in maple story, not to say they dont exsist. One of the key problems pso had on the dreamcast and onwards was player killing and the notorius LVL5 deleveller that turned your character into NOL.

Lets hope Sonicteam have learnt from this over the years and put up hidden security measures to prevent or at least slow down hackers.

ShinMaruku
Apr 5, 2006, 12:00 AM
It will most certainly be hacked, it all depends if the hackers are worht their skill.

kassy
Apr 5, 2006, 07:59 AM
Basically, the reason PSO BB got hacked is because of Gamegaurd and it's overall crummy-ness, alot of things in Blue Burst were still done client side, so all you needed to do was modify a few client side numbers, the only thing stopping you from using a Hex/Mem editor is Gamegaurd, and by now we all know how well that did it's job( lol not very well)

If PSU hopes to stay "mass cheat free" they need to have more of the game's elements done server side and have better cheat detection (please do not use gamegaurd again!) but the most important thing they can do is actually have a GM presence in this game, and/or an active team in place, there solely to detect and ban cheaters as soon as possible. PSO is stilled flawed in the sense it relies on other players to report cheaters. PSU will most likely be hacked, like every other game out there, it's nigh impossible to keep it 100% secure, the difference between the PSO series and other MMORPGS is you get banned when you cheat on other games whereas in PSO you just reap the rewards with little or no consequences...

OdinTyler
Apr 5, 2006, 08:32 AM
For the most part, I agree with you, Kassy. I disagree that in other MMOs those that cheat get banned. Not all of them get banned & not all the admins & GMs in those games really do their jobs. If there is even one bug in a game, it can & will be exploited...unfortunately. Yes, it helps that players be responsible & let GMs know what's going on. It's also up to GMs to be responsible as well for running the game. Sadly, not many are deserving of such a position. One thing that can help prevent mass hacking is not allowing real money to be used to buy in-game items. Hackers that are willing to ruin the game experience for others shouldn't be allowed to protect themselves anymore than a GM willing to look the other way.

ShinMaruku
Apr 5, 2006, 11:30 AM
This all boils down to human nature.
If ya wnat to do away with cheating, drop the human population a few billion

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShinMaruku on 2006-04-05 13:26 ]</font>

physic
Apr 5, 2006, 01:30 PM
ehh their are a number of games where cheating has never come close to the level of pso, its more than people, its how well you design your system, and how well you and said system can adapt to changes. in ffxi the only lasting hack while i played was fish bots and bots for spamming to clam NMs. I hear that wow as well is not hacked up.
basically some amount of cheating will occur/ try to occur how well its delt with is up to Sonic Team, because it is not infact impossible to have a game that isnt hacked to pieces.

Foxfire15
Apr 5, 2006, 04:29 PM
I play WoW, and hacks wise, I haven't heard of anything. there's always exploits, but those that are a big deal get fixed as they become know or in the next patch. Bots were weeded out early on,(somewhere around patch 1.3 or 4 I wanna say). One should also take into account that not all hackers do it just do damage or destroy the game. A lot of them do it because they can. meh, either way, I pray PSU doesn't get hit like the DC/Xbox/GCN PSO's got nailed.