PDA

View Full Version : HDD?

slayer_1327
Apr 5, 2006, 03:01 PM
Will PSU on the PS2 require you have a HDD?

Uncle_bob
Apr 5, 2006, 03:06 PM
Nope. :B

slayer_1327
Apr 5, 2006, 03:11 PM
Yes, awesome, yay.

Foxfire15
Apr 5, 2006, 04:21 PM
One wouldn't think so anyway eeing as how sony is moving away from HDD support. *shrug* I'll be getting it for PC anyway. (gives me an excuse to upgrade my PC)

Espilonarge
Apr 6, 2006, 01:23 AM
As stated in an interview with one of the Sonic Team dev's. They've stated clearly that the PS2 version of PSU will "not" require a HDD. Anything saved based will be placed on the memory card.

slayer_1327
Apr 6, 2006, 10:40 AM
Thats good, because I dont have the money to upgrade my PC >_> So looks like Im getting PSU and a keyboard for my PS2 :0

LocWolf
Apr 11, 2006, 08:13 AM
I just hope I won't have to buy a new PS2, I've had my "big body" since 01 or 02 (can't remember) it still works fine though,......hopefully that's all that matters.

OdinTyler
Apr 11, 2006, 08:46 AM
As long as it works, you should be fine. However, God forbid your PS2 craps out on you, pray that your chars won't be locked to THAT system. I had that happen on EQOA when I had to buy a new system. I couldn't access my account because it wouldn't let me transfer info to the new system. If everything is saved on a card, should it matter? Hopefully no one will have to endure what I did, for PSU. Just check your PS2 over the next few months. If any probs occur, you might consider investing in a new one (if you can).

FayteEternal
Apr 11, 2006, 09:44 AM
Nice to know I'm not the only one who has ancient relic's for consoles. I still have a 1st-gen Ps2 and Xbox, the latter of which finally kicked the bucket. I kept them both going all these years by taking the systems apart and cleaning them. It worked well but the dvd reader on the Xbox crapped out finally. If it wasn't for the 360 I would have replaced the needed parts no problem. As for my Ps2 - let's just say it's still going but no guarantee's the energizer bunny is gonna stick around forever.

physic
Apr 11, 2006, 03:07 PM
i wonder if you will be able to use teh hdd if you have it, IE get faster loading times and whatnot

Espilonarge
Apr 11, 2006, 05:42 PM
As I've said before, the PS2 will NOT being using the HDD addon as stated by Sonic Team. All save data will be placed on the memory card.

Read what I say next time because I sure as hell don't like repeating myself. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

DizzyDi
Apr 11, 2006, 05:47 PM
Wait...You said at first that it won't REQUIRE the HDD. Hinting that you won't NEED it, but you can use it if you have it/want to. I hope they support the HDD cause I don't wanna hafta buy a whole new memory card just to save my PSU data/updates/wutev else they throw at you.

OdinTyler
Apr 11, 2006, 06:39 PM
No, it was said all patching would be done through the memory card. You WILL need a memory card for PSU. Idk if you CAN use the HD for PSU. But seeing as more & more ppl are getting slim PS2s, that system does NOT support the HD. The important point is: YOU WILL NEED A MEMORY CARD FOR PSU. PERIOD.

physic
Apr 11, 2006, 08:14 PM
i dont think people can say for sure pone way or teh other yet, it has been said that it will use a memory card, but they never said a hdd could not be used in conjunction. fact is in japan teh HDD was an official peripheral for some time, and all of the 100 thousand or so jp ps2 ffxi players have it, so adding minute functionality of choosing to save to hdd isnt an insnae possibilty. They merely said it will not require an hdd

FayteEternal
Apr 11, 2006, 08:27 PM
Maybe it's assumed that if you have an HDD you obviously can use it as a primary means of saving your game data. I would think Ps2 HDD owners though might be able to take advantage of any future download perks (If anything like that will exist) such as large quests or maybe special event things. I don't have an HDD for my Ps2 so I don't know much about it. SOCOM didn't require it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

lostinseganet
Apr 11, 2006, 09:00 PM
On 2006-04-11 06:46, OdinTyler wrote:
As long as it works, you should be fine. However, God forbid your PS2 craps out on you, pray that your chars won't be locked to THAT system. I had that happen on EQOA when I had to buy a new system. I couldn't access my account because it wouldn't let me transfer info to the new system. If everything is saved on a card, should it matter? Hopefully no one will have to endure what I did, for PSU. Just check your PS2 over the next few months. If any probs occur, you might consider investing in a new one (if you can).

Isn't your harddrive what makes your computer orginal? If you transfer that to your new system with its OS still intact you should be able to play? I mean you can upgrade your computer until you have a new computer, but the harddrive is what remembers.

physic
Apr 11, 2006, 09:00 PM
well mainly, ps2 loading time sucks in general, supposedly one of teh big advantages of teh hdd was teh ability to eliminate that by running games off teh dvd

OdinTyler
Apr 11, 2006, 11:59 PM
No Lost, I couldn't do that. I played Everquest Online Adventures. Thats the PS2 game that takes place before the PC games (on PS2 only). Apparently, when you play THAT game, it locks all info to that card AND system. It wouldn't let me transfer any info over to my slim system so I was stuck. Idiotic, I know. I just hope that doesn't happen to anyone else. I can understand saved to a card...but a system?

Sev
Apr 12, 2006, 01:02 PM
PSO used to do the same thing though didn't it? Back on DC, it would register itself on one system to go online. If you switched systems, it wouldn't let you on. I clearly remember not being able to log on because my information was on a different Cast.

I have a question though...

Are updates to the game mostly Serverside? Like... Will they be able to make major add in's to the game without release expansions and installing things on your memory card?

OdinTyler
Apr 12, 2006, 02:02 PM
Updates, expansions, upgrades, patches, etc. will run through server-side & the memory card. It's already been established. Idk why this topic has run so long. LOL

Sev
Apr 12, 2006, 03:46 PM
I just wanted to know if any had an estimate of just how much they can do. I don't know too much about this sorta thing, so I was hoping someone could dumb it down for me.

physic
Apr 12, 2006, 05:59 PM
they are going to try to have much of the game server side, but yeha the amount of content they can actually add to the game, they have an 8 meg limit to actual new content to the game. they essentially have to design the game with many parts and make teh server put it together. They can never have ffxi or guildwars or wow level of additions and patches, if they want to do that they will probably release a new game like pso v1 2 etc.

Axel3792
Apr 13, 2006, 10:48 AM
maybe you will need two memory cards after a while? one for slot A and the other for slot B (this is way after they patch the heck out of the game and memory becomes a problem)

just a thought

physic
Apr 13, 2006, 11:06 AM
even so that will only be 16 megabytes, [atches in guil wars ffxi and wow, that add new content, have been as much as 200 megabytes? an thats just like 1 patch, over the years ffxi prolly has as much or more data in patches than in the original discs. basically, they probably wont be adding any new charachetrs or costumes, abilities worlds etc. But they can mix up and use whatever information they put on the original disc.

OdinTyler
Apr 13, 2006, 11:26 AM
ST has already said that 1 file would be created on the memory card. When something is updated, it will save over the file already created, updating it. Thus, it won't be multiple updates saved on your card. Just the one.

PhotonCat
Apr 13, 2006, 10:55 PM
I find it weird that the PS2 version doesn't require the HDD.
Patches that add additional content or bug fixes are always usually larger than 8MB. That cannot fit on a MC.
You cannot also "over-write" a patch because what is needed in the previous patch cannot be just discarded. It would add up and make the patches bigger.

I am just afraid that since the PS2 version does not make use of the HDD, that the PC version will get the shaft and there will not be much added content throughout the games life (Because of the 8MB limit).
Server-side content still needs to be patched in, it's not like they can really just add it to the server without a patch.
If you ever played a MMORPG you would know what I am saying.

But I could be wrong and they are doing things a different way... but it just seems like we shouldn't expect too much in the ways of content.
Which is disapointing.

DizzyDi
Apr 13, 2006, 11:01 PM
I'm hoping they don't not give us big updates because of the PS2 limit. Hopefully they'll save up big updates for an expansion, a cheap one.
Also, this was explained before (I believe Ryna explained it) that the updates and patches will pretty much be like putting puzzle peices together. On the game disc you have all this data of enemies and weapons and maps and whatnot. New quests will simply put all these things together in different combos.
But does this mean no updates with new weapons/enemies/maps? I hope not, but 8MB damn sure isn't enough to hold that sorta stuff. I wonder how ST is gunna go about this.

Ryna
Apr 13, 2006, 11:04 PM
On 2006-04-12 13:46, Sev wrote:
I just wanted to know if any had an estimate of just how much they can do. I don't know too much about this sorta thing, so I was hoping someone could dumb it down for me.

Since the memory card is fairly limited in what it can store, you shouldn't expect any massive "expansion packs."

The way the quest/event system will likely work is that all of the basic textures and monster information will be stored on the disc. When a new quest is uploaded, you will download a "blue print" about how the level is supposed to be constructed using the disc's files. As such, that imposes limits on what Sonic Team will be able to do for server-side quest/event updates.

LocWolf
Apr 14, 2006, 09:08 AM
I don't understand why ST is releasing this for PS2 and not the Xbox 360. It really limits the game, I don't see why they would not want to develop the game with much better technology. The PS2 is already near it's end, and in the next few years of PSU, it will be an artifact.

Bot-Bot
Apr 14, 2006, 09:24 AM
On 2006-04-14 07:08, LocWolf wrote:
I don't understand why ST is releasing this for PS2 and not the Xbox 360. It really limits the game, I don't see why they would not want to develop the game with much better technology. The PS2 is already near it's end, and in the next few years of PSU, it will be an artifact.

Yes, but I think I heard somewhere that one could play their PS2 games on the comming PS3 with enhanced graphics.

physic
Apr 14, 2006, 12:20 PM
they re making a ps2 version because ps2 is the system the most people have, and if they had kept to thier original date, none of the second generation games systems would have been out anyhow. The reason for ps2 is simply to hit the largest market. Its a shame that sony didnt support the hdd more, then it wouldnt limit the possibilities of he game as much

kazuma56
Apr 14, 2006, 12:37 PM
I find it weird that the PS2 version doesn't require the HDD.
Patches that add additional content or bug fixes are always usually larger than 8MB. That cannot fit on a MC.
You cannot also "over-write" a patch because what is needed in the previous patch cannot be just discarded. It would add up and make the patches bigger.

If i remeber correctly, PS2 games such as killzone and Socom series had 1 3MB file that didn't decrease nor increase with each patch so why would it be so impossible for ST to do the same? the only problem they "could" run in to is original content...which would probably need more space...but thats what the 32 or 64mb cards are for.

Sev
Apr 14, 2006, 05:10 PM
Is anyone else aware that the Xbox is a TOTAL bomb in Japan? They're gonna think about home first, Sony will get the most customers, therefore the people that will have the most access to the game will be on a Sony Console. It's a smart move of course, and I'm sure here in the states we'd love a 360 release but I just don't think it'll make enough money. Can't expect 'em to cut their losses on it.

Thanks for the info Ryna, it all makes sense. I can deal with however they have the game, it'll be awhile before I get totally sick of it anyway, and at that point, it's time to make a new character anyway. If an expansion comes within 2 or 3 years I should be ok with it.

Although having it on the PS2 limits the game, it'll still bring in the most people. I'd rather have a limited game, then not be able to play with my friends.

LocWolf
Apr 14, 2006, 05:30 PM
Well, if PSO can make some profits on horribly ****ty systems like the Dreamcast and Gamecube, I'm sure they won't have a problem with the 360. Alot of people in the US have 360s now, and even more by the time this game is finally released.

Sev
Apr 14, 2006, 06:11 PM
No, I'm sure they can't haha. You don't seem to understand, Sega went bankrupt after dreamcast, and Gamecube wasn't the only system that go PSO after, Xbox got it as well, and I don't know what kinda figures they made there. Of course, if they made money then they did. And the fact that the game was extremely novel gave them a boost on Dreamcast and on Gamecube. These systems, also didn't bomb in Japan.

Only Xbox. It's always Xbox. They just don't like the console there, so it might be a waste to work with it. Then again, if SE can put FFXI on it, Sega can do the same. But would they want to? I don't really see any profit to it in their home country.