PDA

View Full Version : Crafting/Item Synthesis

FayteEternal
Apr 6, 2006, 01:05 PM
I'm not sure if this topic has been covered as of yet but it would be neat to see some form of item creation/synthesis/crafting implemented into PSU.
Unfortunately, the series past to present hasn't been designed with this venue in mind so perhaps it wouldn't work so well http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif
In FFXI I spent a lot of time and gil getting Lv100 (+6,max crafting level) plus Lv60 (max level cap for subcrafts) in all other sub crafts. As such I made HQ (high-quality) staves, weapons and instruments for my Mages,Ranger and Bard jobs respectively. The items even have my name on it. In any case, it would be nice to see a crafting system in PSU so here's hoping (unless it's already been confirmed it wont happen).
Any long-time Phantasy Star fans who have played other MMO's and been highly involved in crafting/synthesis knows the joys (and pains) of making things from scratch (and even putting your name on it!)

Ryna
Apr 6, 2006, 01:10 PM
On 2006-04-06 11:05, FayteEternal wrote:
I'm not sure if this topic has been covered as of yet but it would be neat to see some form of item creation/synthesis/crafting implemented into PSU.

Phantasy Star Universe is going to have Item Synthesis. Look at the "Item Synthesis" section of the Partner Machinery guide:
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2367

FayteEternal
Apr 6, 2006, 01:36 PM
Hmm, interesting. I wonder how the processes will work. In other MMO's your ability to create items successfully depends on your skill level in the specific craft the item you're trying to make pertains to. To make exceptionally high-quality items means you must have particular high level of skill. I'm curious to see if item synthesis in PSU will be simplistic or if it will require investment of points (or whatnot) to raise your skill level thus applying those factors into the success/fail chances for the item. Thanks for the reply Ryna^^/

Sev
Apr 6, 2006, 01:52 PM
I'd rather it be a sipmlistic thing... Although I played FFXI alot, and leveled different characters, I never much got into crafting. Something about sitting around in a guild buying mats and constantly putting things together bugged me. The only time it ever seemed cool, is when I'd play with Rangers that would sit around and make Bolts in between fights. Or when I'd see Mages make food and such. Other then that I didn't like it much. That's just me, I'd rather spend my time killing things then leveling up a craft.

From what I see. If you go ahead and raise your machinery to synth certain items over others, that would be your skill level I'd say. This changes as your Partner Machinery levels as it says in the article. I guess you can choose which way you want it to go. Although I haven't thought about how it'd be classified. Would it be more speciffic, and what can you and can't you craft? Plus can you synth special items from this system? Guess we'll find out when we find out. Maybe I'll actually try my hand at crafting. (That's probably not gonna happen.)

FayteEternal
Apr 6, 2006, 02:11 PM
On 2006-04-06 11:52, Sev wrote:
The only time it ever seemed cool, is when I'd play with Rangers that would sit around and make Bolts in between fights. Or when I'd see Mages make food and such.

Yes, exactly. So since there are ranged weapons in PSU, the idea of maybe creating your own enhanced bullet(s) seems like a really cool idea. Even adding a certain photon element to your Staff that otherwise wouldn't be available without the synthesis.
Things like this I wouldn't mind seeing in PSU.

Sev
Apr 6, 2006, 02:22 PM
Now that I think about it, I wouldn't mind that either. Crafting in elements of techs such as Zonde and Foie. Things like that. It'd be a really great addition actually. And see as weapons in the game do have technique's on them, it would makes sense for that to be part of the process.

I would also imagine is you can grind your weapons like before, the higher you go, the less the chances of success.

FayteEternal
Apr 6, 2006, 02:35 PM
Depending on how the processes go with complex synth's/item creations in PSU, let's hope the risks of failure aren't comparable to that of losing a 6 million gil Divine Log while trying to make a Cursed Togi (Like I did..a few times) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif/
Even so though, the risks very well might be similar in that instead of losing a highly valuable item (in meseta terms) you could lose a unique rare that took some time to get, thus having a significant rarity all on it's own.

Sev
Apr 6, 2006, 03:45 PM
The problem is, what will be like the "Great" reward if you do well?

For instance...

You craft a Scorpion Harness, end up with a +1, and then you almost soil yourself for the joy of making that much extra off of it.

How will they duplicate that if at all? If you can fail, there should be a system to go above failing ya know? I won't really count on it, but it sounds logical to me. Whether it's in there or not, as long as synthesis is worth it, it'll be done.

FayteEternal
Apr 6, 2006, 04:09 PM
Unless there's an active economy with the buying and selling of goods (auction house etc) then it wouldn't matter because if a person wanted to make, or attempt to make rather, the same item as someone else they could follow the same skilling/leveling up patterns of the original creater and hope for similar results. Synthesis has a lot of factors involved both hidden and not-so-hidden; Skill, Materials, Probability, Luck and other variables that can add or subtract your success chances. So, if the same applies to PSU then maybe a scenario might exist where it would be eventually possible to synthesize a 12-star item if all the factors/variables all came together at that critical moment. Sorta like finding that super-rare 12-star out in the field where the same factors apply.

ChronoTrigga
Apr 6, 2006, 04:52 PM
I hope the crafting system is like Kingdom Hearts II but actually have a chance of failling the creation or upgrading.

OdinTyler
Apr 6, 2006, 05:13 PM
1. Actually, there is an auction system that will be in place to buy/sell items.
2. There is a chance at failure. Pete has been shown as saying "Please don't be mad if I fail this time." or something like that. Link please?
3. Fayte, I understand. We should trade war stories. I crafted for endless times on EQOA. I fully sympathize with the joys & pains of crafting.

A2K
Apr 6, 2006, 06:17 PM
From a PSO perspective, I imagine any case where you would "use" an item on an equipped weapon will be replaced by the Partner Machinery Item Synthesis. Magic Rock Moola, Heart Keys, that sort of thing.

OdinTyler
Apr 7, 2006, 11:45 AM
Well, from the general descriptions of PMs long ago, it was said that we feed an item to our PM (much like a mag). Only, the PM produces something from that. It's probably a combination of a standard item like a weapon, maybe an elemental orb & Idk, maybe a photon % item? A combo of such would produce a possibly desirable weapon choice. That's my take on it.

FayteEternal
Apr 7, 2006, 12:50 PM
I enjoyed crafting a lot, Odin. A lot of time and gil went into the picture before the real money started coming in but it was worth it. A personal sense of satisfaction was making my own high-quality elemental staves for my black and white mage jobs, all signed [Fayte].
Also, I made signed instruments for my Bard and Bows/Bolts/Arrows for my Ranger.
Nothing like having a reputation across the server for being a trustworthy, skillful crafter and have people come to you for commissions all the time.
Granted, I lost gil crafting and broke several synth's (both cheap and expensive) for myself and others too. In the end though it's worth it so I'm anxious to see how things are in PSU for this.

littleman2347
Apr 8, 2006, 09:34 AM
Didnt it say some where that the lvl of you pm depends what can make and your chance of failing or make good quality or something like that. : P

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: littleman2347 on 2006-04-08 07:35 ]</font>

FayteEternal
Apr 8, 2006, 12:00 PM
If the raising/feeding of your partner machinery is streamlined and has moderate learning curve then it's possible that eventually everyone will know how to create the better items. This would sort of level the playing field for everyone to have a fair chance at succeeding at synthesis and ultimately-everyone would have the same/similar stuff maybe?

Ryna
Apr 8, 2006, 01:17 PM
In addition to creating items through Partner Machinery, you'll also be able to improve existing weaponry by grinding. Look at the "Grinding" section in the Weapon guide:
http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2372

When grinding a weapon, there is a chance the grind will fail and the weapon will be rendered unusable. This makes me think that weapons with high grind numbers maybe rather weapon.