PDA

View Full Version : Table for 6 please, non-smoking.

FayteEternal
Apr 8, 2006, 01:13 AM
Err, I really need to stop trying to research PSU information at 2 in the morning O_o;;
I'm trying to understand how the game-play mechanics of parties are going to be. I understand the Worlds are going to be huge and the lobbies capable of holding 100 people but what about out in the field?
What I mean is, if I organize a party of 6 to go hunting will we happen to come across another party fighting near our area?
If so will there be an issue of 'claiming' monsters?
This topic probably has been covered, not sure, but I'm very curious to know how things will go in that aspect. If the hunting is exclusive to 6 people anywhere you go outside of a lobby then am I correct in assuming all major bosses can be defeated by 6 people?
Thanks for your thoughts and sorry for so many questions. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif~

_Tek_
Apr 8, 2006, 03:05 AM
Do what I'm doing and ignore mostlye verything about psu

A2K
Apr 8, 2006, 03:13 AM
Actual battle in the field will be "instanced", in that, it will be separate from other players, I imagine. That's how it works in PSO, anyway.

While the lobbies will have that MMORPG feel, the actual adventuring will be separate games/levels/missions where you won't encounter others player characters.

oShojino
Apr 8, 2006, 04:36 AM
I thought only the dungeons were instanced, and the fields were open to all (except for missions). Itd be a shame if they instanced everything.

Parn
Apr 8, 2006, 06:31 AM
It'd be a shame if they didn't instance everything. Why on earth would anyone honestly want to travel through some gigantic field full of other random players over and over again? The novelty would wear off after week two. See Final Fantasy XI for a good example of what I'm talking about... it takes 10 to 15 minutes just to GET to a spot to start playing with friends because you're busy traveling through fields you've seen for the last two or three years. That's 10-15 minutes of wasted time.

Give me instanced gameplay any day of the week. After playing countless MMORPGs, traveling through expansive landscapes just to get to a destination has gotten old. Heh...

Forever Zero
Apr 8, 2006, 06:36 AM
Parn wrote:

It'd be a shame if they didn't instance everything. Why on earth would anyone honestly want to travel through some gigantic field full of other random players over and over again? The novelty would wear off after week two. See Final Fantasy XI for a good example of what I'm talking about... it takes 10 to 15 minutes just to GET to a spot to start playing with friends because you're busy traveling through fields you've seen for the last two or three years. That's 10-15 minutes of wasted time.

Agreed. I hope PSU stays far away from MMO stuff like that. The whole reason I want PSU is because I'm hoping it's NOT one of those types of games. I just want a game where it's easy to jump into and play with your friends and also easy to leave. Just like the old PSO. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

OdinTyler
Apr 8, 2006, 06:40 AM
PSU wont be an MMO because PSO wasnt an MMO. Also, keep in mind that PSU is basically an online version of the offline game. In offline, you group anywhere from by yourself to up to 5 teammates. It will be similar online in that you create a game & go XP. There are expansive fields (trust me) & with the vehicles, eventually, you wont have to walk everywhere (can't wait!).

Spacepest
Apr 8, 2006, 07:51 AM
On 2006-04-08 04:36, Forever Zero wrote:

Parn wrote:

Agreed. I hope PSU stays far away from MMO stuff like that. The whole reason I want PSU is because I'm hoping it's NOT one of those types of games. I just want a game where it's easy to jump into and play with your friends and also easy to leave. Just like the old PSO. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Oh so agreed!

Also, lets not forget the problems caused by non instanced field areas filled with too many players...MONSTER CAMPING. Nothing more anti fun then having to compete with too many other players just to kill a frigging monster. Especially when certain teams of players seem to do it 24/7. Give me an instanced area with my party any day over that!

Rubesahl
Apr 8, 2006, 10:39 AM
On 2006-04-08 05:51, Spacepest wrote:

On 2006-04-08 04:36, Forever Zero wrote:

Parn wrote:

Oh so agreed!

Also, lets not forget the problems caused by non instanced field areas filled with too many players...MONSTER CAMPING. Nothing more anti fun then having to compete with too many other players just to kill a frigging monster. Especially when certain teams of players seem to do it 24/7. Give me an instanced area with my party any day over that!

Agreed x 3 >_>; That's what I love about these types of games http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif GW is another great example of instancing the part of the world that you fight in and the towns are for social and meeting up purposes.I used to think that I'd preffer a more MMO PSU but naw, for that matter I play the one I'm playing and PSU is there for real fun and not aggravation. Plus I like the tranquility of being with ur team and being able to stop and chat a bit http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif , waiting in the boss gate, talk after the boss in the boss area lol all of that and other little details is what makes PSO so awesome, and I hope these little details pass over or improve ;D In all the mmorpgs I've been ppl rarely talk in the teams lol plus its a drag finding a team in the first place sometimes, you'd have to join a guild or something to have contact with ppl to play with them a lot or like me, know 1 or more other people in real life and call urselves to play together XD Still in PSO it was necessary to play in teams and it worked in such a way that it's really natural even for not so social players. One things for sure, PSO has one of the best communities (not counting the 1st ship 1st block morons) like PSOW http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif I've met so many friendly people in PSO that I want that to happen again in PSU. My 5 cents http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rubesahl on 2006-04-08 08:46 ]</font>

lostinseganet
Apr 8, 2006, 11:47 AM
I like instanced gamming but I just want 8 players. With games that have gameplay like pso with 16 players why sonicteam WHY!

FayteEternal
Apr 8, 2006, 11:54 AM
Yeah, there definately would be people hunting specific spots and/or trying to pop rare mobs allllll day long. You'd have the issue of having to claim mobs just to hunt, respawn issues which in turn would effect exp gain per hour, Ugh the list goes on.
However, if it is for 6 people only then I guess that answers the question of all major/minor bosses being able to be defeated by 6 people. Unless of course they have some sort of alliancing option, you know, for the super hard bosses.
Dynamis in FFXI, specifically Xarcabard, is an example of needing up for 64 people in order to defeat Dynamis Lord. So many people would definately create problems in more ways than one could count...or..depending on ones preference, would it actually be better?

vitius137
Apr 9, 2006, 12:37 AM
How does the item system work? In pso for gc my friend would just shoot every moster once (he was a ranger) and take all the items from the boxes. Will the items be reserved (like in guild wars) or will I have to fight over items with my party? Being the nice person I am, I would probly let people steal all my items and I wouldn't get any rares T_T

oShojino
Apr 9, 2006, 02:06 AM
The problem with full instancing is that you lose the sense of community and any big raid/massive ammount of user activites. Sure in a non instanced world you have issues of camping and crowded areas, but thats why there are multiple leveling areas... and Ithe more expansivet he world the more spread out the userbase can be so I enjoy large world. I agree that dungeons should be instanced since most of the bosses are there and its more restrictive than fields so if lots of people were in at once it wouldnt be as fun to traverse as if it was instanced.

However by having the whole game instanced you just cant meet up with people in the field like you can with other mmos, and you lose the ability to take a large group of people to a hard field boss, or just to explore areas. If PSU is fully instanced youll only meet people on the ship, and then youll be restricted to only taking 5 people everywhere else in the game. To show others your character in actual gameplay youd either have to use fraps or invite them on your team and kick another person. This also means no large pvp events or player events because, youll be stuck with just 5 other people in actual gameplay. Also no territorial battles for castles or anything, so you loose alot of community activity with instancing. I liked PSO as much as the next guy but going over the same dungeons with a limited number of people over and over and then to get any sense of a community sit in a lobby where I could do nothing but sit and dance, got boring.

Either way Ill like PSU, but I hope they dont completely instance everything

BogusKun
Apr 9, 2006, 02:15 AM
Anything that'll make the game fun for everyone.

FayteEternal
Apr 9, 2006, 02:31 AM
On 2006-04-08 22:37, vitius137 wrote:
How does the item system work? In pso for gc my friend would just shoot every moster once (he was a ranger) and take all the items from the boxes. Will the items be reserved (like in guild wars) or will I have to fight over items with my party? Being the nice person I am, I would probly let people steal all my items and I wouldn't get any rares T_T

That will be -very- interesting indeed to see how the item distribution will be, if there will even be any such thing. It was already a toss-up on one's chances to get the red box with 4 people (unless there were prior arrangements beforehand) but now with 6 people.. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

OdinTyler
Apr 9, 2006, 08:11 AM
Well, if there's no SectionID system (God, I hope not!) that means items & rares will drop the same for all. Piping will be pointless so rare monsters will TRULY be rare. As for item drops, they drop off enemies, like before. The only items I really saw drop were monomate, monofluid, & meseta. I guess when rares drop, it's up to the group to decide who gets what. That's why I started a thread on my guild's forum. We're putting up request lists in advance. Whatever remains undecided goes into the guild bank to be distributed later.

Zarbolord
Apr 9, 2006, 09:41 AM
I hope there will be differences in drops for what you become though. If you have a higher staff drop if you train towards being a FOrce it's better, right?

ulyoth
Apr 9, 2006, 11:35 AM
Is there even red boxes? Has anyone seen one in PSU yet? With 6 people in a game there has to be more enemies = more drops.

OdinTyler
Apr 9, 2006, 01:41 PM
Well the demo has you playing chars at Lv15. Pretty hard to find a red box at 15 (not impossible, just difficult). With only 2 areas to play at on the demo, no I didn't see a red box. Your sig is 1 of the creatures I did fight tho. He's big...even for a dragon.

coomdoom
Apr 9, 2006, 03:17 PM
what demo, do you mean a video?

Pseudo
Apr 9, 2006, 03:55 PM
No he means a demo he had the pleasure of playing a while ago.

Im hoping that drops can be picked up by those who do the most damage to the monster, no amount of low level people followed me on PSO just to grab the Rare the moment they saw it -_-

OdinTyler
Apr 9, 2006, 03:56 PM
No, I mean an ACTUAL playable demo. PSOW advertised it on the front page. It was part of the Digital Life convention back in October. My 1st electronic convention. It was alot of fun & yes, I REALLY played a demo of PSU...four times! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Man, I wish we would've been given a home demo...

FayteEternal
Apr 9, 2006, 04:29 PM
Players getting preference for rares based on superior damage output over the other people in the party is unfair and unrealistic in my opinion. The idea is for players of all level ranges (Within the level of difficulty you're playing) to be able to participate and enjoy the game. To have the higher damaging players get rares first is no different than the concept of a lowbie paying their dues - which in fact is absurd. Depending on how loot functionality works in PSU I believe everyone should get a fair chance at treasure.
On the flip-side of the coin.. if you have people just leeching and not actively helping then I could see a possible issue with treasure distribution.

OdinTyler
Apr 9, 2006, 06:51 PM
Rares have to be shared equally. Too many times ppl call claiming most or all of the loot that's dropped or just randomly grab everything & not offering to share. Sharing items & rares is all part of teamwork. If everyone puts in their part, I don't see why all can't benefit & reap rewards. If you're going to group with ppl, understand that rules come with groups. Otherwise, don't bother getting online. Stick to offline & play by yourself. In other words Fayte, I agree with you.

Saraphim
Apr 9, 2006, 07:15 PM
On 2006-04-09 06:11, OdinTyler wrote:
Well, if there's no SectionID system (God, I hope not!) that means items & rares will drop the same for all. Piping will be pointless so rare monsters will TRULY be rare. As for item drops, they drop off enemies, like before. The only items I really saw drop were monomate, monofluid, & meseta. I guess when rares drop, it's up to the group to decide who gets what. That's why I started a thread on my guild's forum. We're putting up request lists in advance. Whatever remains undecided goes into the guild bank to be distributed later.

Just curious Odin, when the mates and meseta dropped, was it a spinning box again, or were they represented more realistically as small bottles or money in the case of meseta.

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 9, 2006, 08:27 PM
In my opinion, the item drop system of PSO is perfect. Sure, it gets really annoying if some stranger waltzes in and steals the rare you've been hunting for months, but that'll never happen if you only play with people you trust.

FayteEternal
Apr 10, 2006, 12:38 AM
With 6 people, what would be ideal regarding treasure and loot is a lotting system. In FFXI, when loot dropped you didn't physically see the treasure on the ground but in a treasure pool where people cast lots. This would prevent anxious (and/or greedy) people rushing the monsters when they're about to die to be first to grab the box (or whatever physical form items drop in). With a lotting system it would be fair game for all to have a chance at the treasure with no hard feelings (other than losing the lot^^;). Not having players rush to grab stuff off the ground would mean people being where they're suppose to be in battle and staying focused. Just my thoughts on it.

Sev
Apr 10, 2006, 03:07 PM
It's basically all up to players at this point. If you wanna take everything, there won't be much others can do about it. Haven't seen any type of rolling system or loot division, so for the most part things are just how they are. With the introduction of a auction like system, it may be extremely hard for people to give up items to others, instead they may take items that they already have one of in hopes of selling it.

We'll see how it works out. I'd think if you lay down rules at the beginning of a hunt, everyone will abide by them.

EJ
Apr 10, 2006, 05:25 PM
oops http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ForceEJ on 2006-04-10 15:50 ]</font>

OdinTyler
Apr 10, 2006, 05:46 PM
LOL Wrong page, EJ. I already said that. So you were at Digital Life? What day were you there? Wasn't it fun there? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

EJ
Apr 10, 2006, 05:51 PM
I was there for all 3 days with friends.

OdinTyler
Apr 10, 2006, 09:12 PM
Oh ok. Did you happen to see any significantly tall ppl? I would've been one of them. I stayed at a PSU station for awhile. LOL I bounced around between there & the Xbox360 stations mostly. I was impressed that they had the 3 or 4 stations there. Gave alot of ppl a chance to play if they wanted...& they'd be fools to not try!