PDA

View Full Version : Max level cap~

FayteEternal
Apr 9, 2006, 04:40 PM
This doesn't have to be a long and drawn out thread but does anyone know what the max level cap will be for players? Since PSU is going to basically be a step into a more engaging, in-depth MMO, perhaps Lv200 might be too much? I dunno. FFXI is Lv75 max with the means to furthur extend your attributes and characteristics with merit points (not additonal levels). WoW raised their level cap yeah? I'm not sure about EQ or GW's.

vitius137
Apr 9, 2006, 04:45 PM
Guild Wars' level cap is 20 >.> after that it kinda got boring for me. I have no idea what PSU's level cap will be. I'm hoping for over 100.

Sinue_v2
Apr 9, 2006, 05:37 PM
The only reason why PSO's level cap went over 100, was because of Ultimate mode being added in v.2 for the Dreamcast. After that, it just kind of stuck.

We don't know what PSU's level-cap will be. I may be 100 like it originally was - or it may be 200 to follow in PSO's precidence. We'll have to wait and see.

OdinTyler
Apr 9, 2006, 06:46 PM
It's possible. Of course you also have to factor in that you choose 1 of 3 types to start as & can raise type & skill levels independent of your character level. That being the case, the 100/200 system might be thrown out in favor of a different leveling system. It remains to be seen what is...

butzopower
Apr 10, 2006, 12:57 AM
On 2006-04-09 16:46, OdinTyler wrote:
Of course you also have to factor in that you choose 1 of 3 types to start as & can raise type & skill levels independent of your character level.

Is this fact? Are there going to be seperate skill levels?

OdinTyler
Apr 10, 2006, 01:30 AM
Well, yes. You choose whether you want to be a Hunter-type, Force-type, or Ranger-type. Then, from what we know, you do missions & gain points that you can attribute however you like. You don't have to stick to one type as you can raise your char to be a hybrid. For example, if you want to be more melee-oriented, you'd probably invest more in raising yourself like a Hunter-type. However, you're not locked into that (which is great). These would be separate from your char lvl. This is just for how you raise your char. Being an RPG, you have a regular char lvl, in addition to this new setup.

_Tek_
Apr 10, 2006, 01:41 AM
plus due to the amount of people that played PSO v1 for 1000s of hours they raised the level cap in V2, (just guessing)

FayteEternal
Apr 10, 2006, 01:51 AM
Hmm, being a Ranger has always been in my blood. I dunno when it happened or why but I just became very fond of the job. Lv200 RAmarl in Episode I and II. Ranger was my first job to 75 in FFXI (75 Bard, White mage and Black Mage too) and I'll more than likely be a Ranger in PSU, dunno. I'm gonna see how things go and think on stuff.

coomdoom
Apr 10, 2006, 02:27 AM
The 'classes' are not hunter-type, ranger-type and force-type, it is Human, Newman, Beast and Cast.

A2K
Apr 10, 2006, 04:33 AM
It would might be better to say the races are Human, Newman, Beast, and Cast, and that your occupation/types were Hunter, Ranger, or Force (avoiding that "class" distinction entirely).

Anyway, ah, for all we know, the system might be scaled very differently. A simple level cap doesn't really precisely describe the mechanisms behind obtaining experience and actually leveling up.

Is your "regular" level related in any way to your HU, RA, and FO levels? I had gotten the idea that maybe your regular level would be the sum total of the three, but that was just speculation on my part.

And based on what I've seen of mission selection (different difficulty versions of the same quest) is it safe to assume that they've done away with the Normal/Hard/Very Hard/Ultimate difficulty idea?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: A2K on 2006-04-10 02:34 ]</font>

FayteEternal
Apr 10, 2006, 04:53 AM
If they did do away with the 4 levels of difficulty then the only logical explanation would be hunting in areas/zones relative to your characters experience level, which if it were anything like other MMO's, you'd be in store for quite a hike to the harder areas (if you were semi-high/high level). Hmm, actually, that makes sense to do it that way since transportation will be in the game, heh.

Sev
Apr 10, 2006, 01:51 PM
It could just spawn monsters based on the groups overall level. If it took an average, and then spawned monsters accordingly. Of course, if someone higher joined later, that would not be incorporated. Or maybe it could spawn monsters according to your levels, spawning monsters relative to the lowest level character first, to the highest level later. I guess these are things that are still up in the air as they've not really been covered.

Dre_o
Apr 10, 2006, 01:56 PM
I assume they are going to have to modify the leveling system in accordance to your "Combat Choice" (to avoide class) Also, I assume they are going to make monsters with stats that are the average level of the team (or higher, depending on if you are in a place that has real bad ass monsters)

OdinTyler
Apr 10, 2006, 03:11 PM
On 2006-04-10 00:27, coomdoom wrote:
The 'classes' are not hunter-type, ranger-type and force-type, it is Human, Newman, Beast and Cast.

Sorry, but, I must disagree. The class types have been announced. I called them as such because that's what they're called. The homepage has a link for such information. Human, Newman, Beast & Cast are races, not classes. Race can never be class because it's something that you are born as. Class is something based on socio-economic environment & learned skills.

BORBAN
Apr 10, 2006, 06:46 PM
I hope it's lvl.200.

ANIMEniac
Apr 10, 2006, 06:57 PM
i think it might be the class lvl is different than character level. think of it this way, if you now have a level 200 (enter a race) that is a hunter... wouldent it be dum that if you changed to a ranger your skills would stay week just because you are already maxed out. if anything it should make you want to try out new things for your char once you max out. like on guild wars... once you hit lvl 20 you can still play to get more skill points so that you can unlock new skills you didn't have before even as a max lvl char.

OdinTyler
Apr 10, 2006, 09:10 PM
That's not exactly how it works, tho char lvl & type lvl WILL be separate. You have 3 types to choose from & you have the flexibility to raise what you want, when you want to. It would be pointless to max out all 3 types so naturally, you won't be able to. Basically, you're just controlling how your char lvls up instead of having set stats you're granted once achieving the next char lvl.

DeathMachine
Apr 10, 2006, 11:05 PM
I wonder what JOB levels will cap at? THAT is a question we should all think about. I may want to re-allocate before I max out; say I have 25 in hunter, 21 in ranger, and only 14 in Force, I may want that more powerful Resta, being a cast and all, could I get an item or quest to help me out with that? I know no one knows, but still........

butzopower
Apr 10, 2006, 11:35 PM
On 2006-04-10 19:10, OdinTyler wrote:
That's not exactly how it works, tho char lvl & type lvl WILL be separate. You have 3 types to choose from & you have the flexibility to raise what you want, when you want to. It would be pointless to max out all 3 types so naturally, you won't be able to. Basically, you're just controlling how your char lvls up instead of having set stats you're granted once achieving the next char lvl.

Again, can you give the source that says:
a) There are indeed type levels
b) There are only 3 types
c) What skills you have doesn't depend on your CURRENT type (IE you keep the skills you've earned in all classes)

I'm just trying to make sure this is confirmed. I have seen the "Select your type" screenshot, but I don't know if it implied those things.

I think I read somewhere that you had played the demo in NYC, if that's true is this how it worked?

voxie
Apr 11, 2006, 05:10 AM
Maybe the cap could be increased via online, like WoW and FFXI (I think??)? I don't mind either way tho http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: voxie on 2006-04-11 03:11 ]</font>

kassy
Apr 11, 2006, 08:39 AM
100 and 200 are just numbers, without actually knowing the required exp to reach either level, or effort required to a certain amount of exp, isn't it a bit pointless to compare different games which are completely subjective, and try and come to a conclusion on what level cap would be best for PSU, I mean 60 minutes has no meaning if you don't know how many seconds are in a minute.

A game with a level cap of 20 could require the same amount of time to reach level 200 in another, I guess this topic could be about what does one prefer?; fewer or more intervals to denote a players level, and in that respect it's a valid discussion.

OdinTyler
Apr 11, 2006, 08:43 AM
On 2006-04-10 21:35, butzopower wrote:
Again, can you give the source that says:
a) There are indeed type levels
b) There are only 3 types
c) What skills you have doesn't depend on your CURRENT type (IE you keep the skills you've earned in all classes)

I think I read somewhere that you had played the demo in NYC, if that's true is this how it worked?

Go to the homepage of PSOW. Look on the left & scroll down til you see the PSU section. There will be a link there for Character Customization. I believe that's the link that discusses Types. If not, 1 of those links will bring you to it. Anyway, it will discuss what is known about types so far & how you can have some say in how your char is raised, not just stuck to one specific class.

As for the demo in NYC, yep, I certainly did play. If you want, you can PM me about details as Idk if ppl wanna hear me talk about the demo over & over again (tho Im glad I was a part of it...so much fun!)

Sev
Apr 12, 2006, 01:16 PM
It's true that getting to level 20 can take the same amount of time as getting to level 50 in some games. However, the less levels you have, the less skills you normally get access to and the less stats you are able to manipulate. The games cap will be around 100. I'm almost sure of it.

EspioKaos
Apr 12, 2006, 02:04 PM
A little something extra on character type customization...

Even though we don't know the max level for each type or character, it looks like the type system has been set up to where you won't be able to make all of your attributes super-high. For example, going by the screenshots on the official site, it you start off as a hunter, like Ethan, and then go to the type select counter to get your ranger's license, certain attributes like accuracy will increase while others such as physical strength decrease. Another example I can see is with a swap to a force-type, which actually drastically decreases Ethan's HP and physical strength while increasing his mental strength. I really wish we had some better screenshots of the type counter, that way I could see what all of the stats listed are. Most of them are way too small for me to read, but here's what I can get from the screens. (The only stat I'm 100% certain about is the first one, HP, the next three I'm relatively certain about, while the last four I can't make out anything but "ryoku," the last kanji for each which means "power.")

This is what Ethan's stats are when he approaches the TSC.

HP: 843 --
ATP: 315 --
ATA: 118 --
MST: 229 --
???: 59 --
???: 123 --
???: 45 --
???: 22 --

If he changes his type to focus on ranger skills...

HP: 843 -- 603
ATP: 315 -- 287
ATA: 118 -- 177
MST: 229 -- 172
???: 59 -- 68
???: 123 -- 118
???: 45 -- 45
???: 22 -- 24

And if he changes his type to focus on force skills...

HP: 843 -- 481
ATP: 315 -- 287
ATA: 118 -- 94
MST: 229 -- 344
???: 59 -- 57
???: 123 -- 94
???: 45 -- 68
???: 22 -- 20

Dhylec
Apr 12, 2006, 02:36 PM
Hm.. interesting - variable stats based on current 'class'. While nothing groundbreaking, but this sure breaks the mold of the current PSO.

Foxfire15
Apr 12, 2006, 04:27 PM
200 would be cool, but I'm thinking it won't be unless you level very fast or they release and expansion. side note = Rangers rule all, haha.

OdinTyler
Apr 12, 2006, 06:12 PM
The level cap is almost assuredly 100 (at least for now). It's been shown that Bildebears (the new Hildebears) are in the 40s & we know they won't be the most powerful enemies. If enemies have actual lvls now (as they do), one can go on the fact that we'll see a cap of somewhere between 50-100 minimum tho 100 is the safe bet. Also, keep in mind that there are online & offline modes to this game & generally, an offline RPG doesn't go past 100. In keeping both modes in tandem, 100's the way to go.

butzopower
Apr 12, 2006, 06:50 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/images/psu/class_customization/psu-011306i.jpg

Are you able to translate at all what that message is? I'm assuming something along the lines of either it costing 100 points to change to this class or 100 points to level up this class, assuming it's the first since it shows the stat changes. Why a second menu with a seperate list, though? Sub-classes?

Class level ups not permantely sticking to your character alone makes having a max combined class level seem purposeless. I still hope for more than three classes!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: butzopower on 2006-04-12 16:51 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: butzopower on 2006-04-12 16:54 ]</font>

vitius137
Apr 12, 2006, 07:44 PM
Perhaps the max lvl cap for skills depends on your race. For example: a Cast may have a max lvl cap of 10 for force skills while a Newman can go up to 100.

Just a thought.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vitius137 on 2006-04-12 17:45 ]</font>

ANIMEniac
Apr 12, 2006, 09:47 PM
in many online RPGs the enemy level well eventualy exceed the lvls that a character can get. to promote team work. thought i should just trow that out. but that makes me think, might we still be able to earn class points though we hit max level, or even if not, possibly be able to changes points placed in one place to another to enhance a needed area. like if i had 1000 points toward atp and 100 toward ata, you could take 300 from atp and put it on ata.

OdinTyler
Apr 12, 2006, 10:19 PM
Well, it's not surprising that some races will be able to raise one particular stat higher than another. That's to be expected. However, it's a bit more realistic & easier to understand than saying comparing a HUmar's ATP as opposed to a FOmar's or RAmar's. They're all human, so why the differing attacking power? Well, now tho technically races aren't classes, a char you create will be MORE defined by their race. It's a guideline to go by as what you'll play as: melee, etc. I'm just looking foward to the seeming flexibility we're given.

As for translations, our man Espio can translate it should he find the time. Or perhaps another PSOW translator?

EspioKaos
Apr 12, 2006, 10:26 PM
On 2006-04-12 16:50, butzopower wrote:
http://www.pso-world.com/images/psu/class_customization/psu-011306i.jpg

Are you able to translate at all what that message is? I'm assuming something along the lines of either it costing 100 points to change to this class or 100 points to level up this class, assuming it's the first since it shows the stat changes. Why a second menu with a seperate list, though? Sub-classes?

Class level ups not permantely sticking to your character alone makes having a max combined class level seem purposeless. I still hope for more than three classes!
It's very difficult to make out much of the text in that picture, but from what I can see, it mentions purchasing a license for 100 meseta, then asks again if you're sure you want to make the purchase.

OdinTyler
Apr 12, 2006, 11:59 PM
A license? Uh oh. You know what this means. Time to take the Flowder/Striker out for a joy ride! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I can see it now...

SUPER FLOWDER KART RACING! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ANIMEniac
Apr 13, 2006, 01:12 AM
On 2006-04-12 21:59, OdinTyler wrote:
A license? Uh oh. You know what this means. Time to take the Flowder/Striker out for a joy ride! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif I can see it now...

SUPER FLOWDER KART RACING! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

i still say there should be a racing lobby like the soccer lobby. and hey there could even be meseta prizes ^_^

OdinTyler
Apr 13, 2006, 08:09 AM
Well you know I've been talking about races for months. No track if there is one. Just race out in the open fields. If my suspicions are correct, I know at least one 'track' that will be challenging & if you wipe out...
well...it won't be pretty.