PDA

View Full Version : PSU PC..

Uncle_bob
Apr 10, 2006, 10:17 AM
Any announcements if we'll be able to download PSU for PC like we can for BlueBurst?

PhotonCat
Apr 10, 2006, 11:04 AM
Don't think there has been. Would be neat thoght.
I rather just pay for the game online and DL it myself.

coomdoom
Apr 10, 2006, 12:56 PM
You have to buy the game from your local game shop or an internet shop because it will be really big because of offline play.

Foxfire15
Apr 10, 2006, 01:23 PM
Well, if the game is gonna be 8GB like Sega claims, there's no way in hell i'd wanna DL it. My ISP has a DL limit of 3GB a month, and they actaully keep tabs on it. So, DLing it wouldn't make much sense. So you'll be better off buying it.

coomdoom
Apr 10, 2006, 02:28 PM
well the beta is going to be 3GB

PhotonCat
Apr 10, 2006, 10:37 PM
I'm betting the game won't be 8GB right up. It will probably be compressed to a lower size. So, 3GB-4GB initial size is probably more accurate. 8GB can't fit on one DVD unless it's dual-layered or is several discs.
But anyway, in my case, DLing would be faster than going to a store to get it.(Since gameshops around here don't get there daily shipments in 'till after 12PM and usually at game launch the DLs start at 12AM.)

Just would be nice to have the option.

OdinTyler
Apr 10, 2006, 10:40 PM
Well, I always said that ST should've release a char creation demo so we could at least playaround with SOMETHING. Maybe at least play with a demo online? Oh well...

vitius137
Apr 10, 2006, 11:43 PM
OMG I WANT CHARACTER CREATION DEMO >_<

Foxfire15
Apr 11, 2006, 02:02 AM
I could believe 2 DVD's. Isn't a DVD player supposed to be a reqirement? (Coulda sworn...*shrug*) Also, as far as I know, probably 99% of DVD drives can read Dual layer discs, so that woudn't be an issue if it was the case. Also, even if the beta is 3GB, you have to remember that not everything is included in the beta either. I'm thinking probably only a portion of the world / story is included, + not all character creation options.

Side note, A character creation demo would be nice. I'd like to know if it's better or worse that PSO. (Which had some very nice cusomization IMO....which is my only real turn off on WoW)

OdinTyler
Apr 11, 2006, 08:48 AM
Well, I'm guessing the game will be only 1 DVD. It would be a first to see a PS game on more than 1 cart/disc. As for the char creation, just check the homepage & read up. It's VASTLY improved over PSO. You can work on small details that it reminds me of EQII's creation system. Personally, I'm impressed. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DamonKatu
Apr 11, 2006, 10:44 AM
I beleave when avalible, you can go to that download site of gamespy(so sorry forgot its disk-to-drive) Xo I just hope there's US beta testing. I wounder how the testing going? have they finished the english language patch? What other bugs will occur in the game?

Congrad for finishing Ult ep 2 Odin. I bet beating DF was hard, wasnt it?

OdinTyler
Apr 11, 2006, 11:38 AM
You mean OlgaFlow (he's in EpII) & yeah, he was tough. I mean I was pretty well prepared. It's just a light attack from DarkFalz or OlgaFlow always seems to hurt like hell. I had 3 God/HPs & 1 Resist/Holy on. I wasn't about to give up. But anyway, back to topic. Given that there's a JP PC beta test, I think that will probably be the only one. They figure that's the only test they need & when that's done, they'll release the game in the usual regional order. As for a language patch, I think it's going to be the language respective to your region. In other words, JP only in Japan, English in the US, etc.

Blitzkommando
Apr 11, 2006, 04:47 PM
On 2006-04-10 20:37, PhotonCat wrote:
I'm betting the game won't be 8GB right up. It will probably be compressed to a lower size. So, 3GB-4GB initial size is probably more accurate. 8GB can't fit on one DVD unless it's dual-layered or is several discs.
But anyway, in my case, DLing would be faster than going to a store to get it.(Since gameshops around here don't get there daily shipments in 'till after 12PM and usually at game launch the DLs start at 12AM.)

Just would be nice to have the option.

It's called compression. Often times companies work with file formats that compress the data really well to allow fewer install disks while providing more for the game. An excellent example is the Unreal series. It compresses extremely easily to about 50% size in most situations, not bad when you are talking about already 150+ MB download files. Halo for PC was another that compressed really well. The disc was only 700 MB, but installed it is over 1 GB.

The other reason it could very easily be 8 GB is not just the game data included with the disc, but the data for patches and add-on content should Sega choose to add content later on. Modern games are really averaging 3-6 GB because of the higher quality content provided. We have hit a period where the cost per gigabyte of storage can easily be less than a dollar, or even half a dollar, per gigabyte. This allows the developers to use higher quality formats, which take up more storage, but give a more pleasing experience.

PhotonCat
Apr 11, 2006, 06:59 PM
It's called compression. Often times companies work with file formats that compress the data really well to allow fewer install disks while providing more for the game. An excellent example is the Unreal series. It compresses extremely easily to about 50% size in most situations, not bad when you are talking about already 150+ MB download files. Halo for PC was another that compressed really well. The disc was only 700 MB, but installed it is over 1 GB.

The other reason it could very easily be 8 GB is not just the game data included with the disc, but the data for patches and add-on content should Sega choose to add content later on. Modern games are really averaging 3-6 GB because of the higher quality content provided. We have hit a period where the cost per gigabyte of storage can easily be less than a dollar, or even half a dollar, per gigabyte. This allows the developers to use higher quality formats, which take up more storage, but give a more pleasing experience.

I know, that's what I was trying to say. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Blitzkommando
Apr 11, 2006, 09:08 PM
On 2006-04-11 16:59, PhotonCat wrote:

I know, that's what I was trying to say. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Ah, well, I was just trying to say it would require neither a second DVD or dual-layer. I suppose we both missed each other's points I suppose.