PDA

View Full Version : Slightly petty rant

Blitzkommando
Apr 15, 2006, 11:46 PM
This rant is slightly petty and thus is less of a rant as much as an annoyance.

I like orange. It's a great color. I love it. I recently, as in about two months ago, did a case mod of my old computer. I decided to deck it out in full Half-Life style. I even went that extra mile and used that horrible textured spray paint. That stuff is such a pain to use with the angles and whatnot associated with computer cases it made the job far harder had I simply used a sand colored paint. I really like how it worked out. Except for one thing:

The cathodes.

I chose to purchase some cold cathodes. Did I mention I like orange? Even the case fan has an orange LED. Well, I come to find out that there is no such thing as an orange colored cold cathode. There's yellow, there's red, there's even UV cold cathodes, but alas there is no orange cathode. I scoured the internet only to find other people suffering from the same problem.

I would even consider an orange LED "rope" or something but I couldn't find those either. Alas it seems that the one color that would actually perfect my case does not exist. So I compromised and went with the UV lights. I don't particularly care for the purple hue, but the neat glowing effects on the various pieces within the computer breathed new life into it. Such is the tale of the missing cathode color.

If you are interested in seeing the, lackluster, results I have some old pictures from the day it was finished here (http://blitzkommando.com/hlmod.htm). I will make note that the cabling has since been improved, the power supply has been changed (it inherited the old power supply from my main machine), and it gained a wireless NIC.