PDA

View Full Version : Leveling Up Classes....

ChronoTrigga
Apr 17, 2006, 05:06 AM
I wonder. I wonder if it will be similiar to Final Fantasy XI's where you can level up the class levels independantly. For instance, you can level up to level 75 black mage. Then start all over with the same character as a Beast Tamer. Wouldn't it be great like that?

OdinTyler
Apr 17, 2006, 09:00 AM
You won't be able to max out all 3 types. It's been said already. From what we know, there's a point system to attribute points where you want/need them. That's how you raise your char. There's no set class, but, there are class types to go by.

Sev
Apr 17, 2006, 11:32 AM
The only reason FFXI is like that I think, is because there's so many classes to choose from. So instead of letting you create tons of characters, they allow you to do all types of jobs on one. Of course, they also charge you for new content ID's and such but let's not get into that.

OdinTyler seems to already know how it's gonna be. Although it seems like it would be a great idea, it's not so much needed for a game like PSU. Basically, you choose the way you wanna go, and although you can't be complete Force and then turn complete Hunter, you have the ability to be a Hunter with some stats also going towards Force stats?

I wonder even how spells we'll be... I wonder if you can focus on spell types... Like my friend was saying something about wanting to be Paladin like, which would be healing techs and high def. Is this actually going to be possible?

Kupi
Apr 17, 2006, 11:41 AM
Considering how limited the Force's weapon selection is compared to the Hunter and Ranger (they get, what, Canes, Rods, and Bows?), I suspect that you'll be able to customize what Techs you learn. After all, how often does a caster care what he's bonking enemies over the head with? The real customization is in the spells for them.

DamonKatu
Apr 17, 2006, 03:05 PM
I just hope you cant level down like FFXII 0.0' whoever came up with that sould really be kicked in the ass. That would be hard for newcomers just to level without being kicked down by evil higher levels. That's a good thing about PSO that beats FF.

Lux
Apr 17, 2006, 03:14 PM
That's all the MMORPG way, meaning they want you to play as long as possible because of the monthly fee. As long as you didn't get all items there are and didn't squeeze that last bit of power out of your character you'll most likely not quit too fast. It takes years in Final Fantasy XI to "finish" a character.

Sev
Apr 17, 2006, 03:30 PM
Not to mention they add new content and characters to keep you in... Who the hell can take all those character classes to level 75 and get enough merits plus all of the space to even hold the items for each job? It's nearly impossible, but somebody'll do it.

It really doesn't matter as long as your enjoying yourself. If you wanna get everything then do it, if not, don't. If the games not fun, you quit, that's how it's supposed to be.

And leveling down... Yeah it sucks. It makes you better though, you do that much more just to not die. And if you can't take dying, then you may as well quit. You die in all games. XD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, I can't wait to see what kinda crazy combo's pop up in the end. I wonder if there will actually be people that go straight healing and buffs haha. I doubt it, it's hard to find people like that.

butzopower
Apr 17, 2006, 05:15 PM
On 2006-04-17 09:32, Sev wrote:
The only reason FFXI is like that I think, is because there's so many classes to choose from. So instead of letting you create tons of characters, they allow you to do all types of jobs on one.

But how do we know there aren't going to be just as many classes to choose from as in FFXI. The screenshot only shows 3 classes, but in a menu that could EASILY hold 8 lines of text, plus theres a number 1 above it (to be fair, all the text boxes have a number 1 above them). Where has it been said that you can't max out all levels?

The way they have it set up is that your stats change based on which class you skip to. If you can only get a certain amount of class levels, then it'd be practically pointless to level up other classes other than the main one you wish to get up, since being level 10 in Ranger (or what have you) wouldn't mean anything when you switch to 15 Force. All it means is that you are going to have a character that hardly measures up to characters with focused classes, and have no bonuses for splitting it up.

Hopefully information from the beta will clear this up.

Sev
Apr 17, 2006, 05:24 PM
Dunno, I just do. It's not the same type of game so I don't see the point in comparing them. PSU is PSU, FFXI is FFXI. There's nothing that complex about it that should be causing speculation.

It's already been said before if you read the above post.

You can put points into each stat accordingly. That makes this a more balanced game, as technically no one build should be better then another. It would depend on the person weilding the character. The bonus for splitting it up, is probably just access to certain stats. If you don't want to cast magic, then why have any stats toward force unless it was something like magic def?

butzopower
Apr 17, 2006, 06:12 PM
Your point about PSU being PSU doesn't really apply, since you are still applying how other games work to PSU, and the point I'm trying to make is that this system doesn't follow those rules.

I've read all the articles on this site, read all of OdinTylers posts on the subject, and communicated a bit with OdinTyler over PM. I still can't find where these things have been said anywhere other than speculative posts. I'm speculating, also, and I'm sorry if my posts are coming across as attacks. This is my only way of channeling my excitement for this game, as I'm sure it is yours. Now, onto my specuations:

Sonic Team themselves have said that you are going to get skill points through quests, and not leveling up. Therefore, "builds" isn't really approriate.

When you change class your base stats are modified by your class. It might be safe to assume that your base stats are based off your race and level. What class levels affect isn't for sure yet, although most think they unlock more weapon types your character can use when you are that class. I'm guessing the stat modifiers might also change as you increasee class level making you more stronger still in certain areas, but balancing it by lowering your other attributes.

There might be a situation (be it a quest, or a run through a certain level), where it might be better to be a Force than any other class, and so having your Force class leveled up would be good for those occassions. Likewise there might be a part of a quest that requires a few targets to be shot to open a door, you'd need at least one person set to Ranger, even if no one is really suited for Ranger. It brings about the kind of team work that C-Mode required.

I guess thinking about it, there could be a combined class max, so that your character wouldn't be good for every situation and force teamplay that way. Although, just by picking your race you are making it so you won't be the best in all situations.

Sev
Apr 17, 2006, 06:38 PM
The thing is that there has never really been much thought of being more then just one of the other on a Phantasy Star game. No one really expects to be both a Hunter at max level, and at random, can change to a Force max level. If this were the case, you would think that with a game like this you'd always have access to your force techniques and your hunter weapons.

FFXI is a Fantasy game. Therefore, being able to transform to different jobs, is distinctly something of that game. You don't just do it, it's a change that's only triggered through your actual Mog House and Moogle.

Unless there's a counter, that implants some type of chip in your head to switch on "Force" mode I don't see it happening. This is more or less speculating from every other Phantasy Star game I've ever touched, but although you can be a little bit of both, you can be one, then change the other, and change back to what you were before. If you can understand what I'm saying here. I don't think that there would be any system to max out more then one class.

It's not attacks, it's text, I'm well aware of this fact as I deal with text day in and day out. It's just conflicting opinions, and I mistook some of what others said for facts. If it's not true, then it's not. But we won't know until it comes out. Still, I don't think that you'd be able to master more then one class on any one character.

And yes, the fact remains that this is because PSU is PSU. FFXI is the ONLY game that I've played where one character is a master of more then one job.

butzopower
Apr 18, 2006, 12:56 AM
On 2006-04-17 16:38, Sev wrote:
Unless there's a counter, that implants some type of chip in your head to switch on "Force" mode I don't see it happening. This is more or less speculating from every other Phantasy Star game I've ever touched, but although you can be a little bit of both, you can be one, then change the other, and change back to what you were before. If you can understand what I'm saying here. I don't think that there would be any system to max out more then one class.

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=2405

There IS a counter where you go to change classes. That's why I'm even bringing this up in the first place.

One thing to note is:

The general concept behind the battles you will face in Phantasy Star Universe is focused around three types known as "hunter," "ranger," and "force."

While there very well may be only 3 classes, the first screen shot allows one to speculate there could be more since that list could hold at least 4 more lines of text. If there were to only be 3, why would they make the list that big?

Also, the second screenshot shows a confirm menu with it's own list. My speculation on this is that there could possibly be sub-classes, but of course they could just be using a second list for debugging.

I remember reading somewhere that it said changing type will also change the skills of your weapons. So basically a 'saber' might give a skill like 'DoubleSlash' as a Hunter, and possibly 'Foie' as a Force. This made me think it'd be really cool if there were either other classes or subclasses that had only certain skill types. Maybe a class called 'Lutz' which gives your weapons heal, support, and light spells. Maybe even an 'Alis' class allowing only sabers and swords with a mix between combat skills, fire based spells, and Ryuka. I think I'm getting too much into personal wishes than probable concepts.

We must also remember that PSU is NOT PS1-4, just as PSO wasn't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: butzopower on 2006-04-17 22:59 ]</font>