PDA

View Full Version : Who's going to use voice chat on the PC version?

Axel3792
Apr 17, 2006, 11:18 AM
Just a poll... who here is going to use voice chat programs like Ventrilo when they play PSU?

Axel

Lux
Apr 17, 2006, 11:29 AM
I'm gonna buy a microphone for that. It's way more casual than always having to put your controller aside to type. Also you can chat with your friends much faster that way (no matter how fast you type).
When joining a Ventrilo server etc. you also know who you talk to, it's not like on XBOX live where immature people are annoying you with leet talk all the time and just won't shut up. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Sev
Apr 17, 2006, 11:35 AM
Probably. I mean, when playing with my group being able to use Teamspeak would make things alot easier. We used to just call each other, or go to each others houses. That still meant that for people outside of our town, we would have to type to them. This is an easy way for us to all talk, even if we're not grouping together at the time.

That would mean I need to get a new mic... I don't want people complaining about the echo.

Kyunji
Apr 17, 2006, 11:41 AM
I would... if my voice weren't so annoying. Seriously, though, it annoys even me, so that's not a good choice for me.

Additionally, I feel that using voice chat removes some of the game's "feel," if you know what I mean. Sure, you can have an eight foot seven cast, but the entire effect is ruined if your voice just doesn't match your character.

Forever Zero
Apr 17, 2006, 01:55 PM
No way. I hate voice chat programs. I'm a really shy person so this wouldn't help me much at all, lol. I'd prefer the keyboard.

kazuma56
Apr 17, 2006, 02:22 PM
if i went the PC version I still think I wouldn't use voice chat...my brother uses it sometimes and it ppl get cut out sometimes and it seemed far easier to get into an argument over "tactics" in some games...

OdinTyler
Apr 17, 2006, 02:24 PM
Well, I've tried out Ventrilo & I have to say it's MUCH better than a chat room like Yahoo or any other chat format. Idk if TeamSpeak is good, but, with the right setup, Ventrilo works. Very clear & you can control who gets invited as opposed to chat rooms. Anyone interested in VC should try it.

Ash1ey
Apr 17, 2006, 02:31 PM
I like the programs to fool around with a friend, but just that. I try to hide my moody attitude (or when someone annoys me) when I'm online, and that wouldnt work well with voice chat.

Plus there are certain people that actually hearing what they say, rather then reading it would just drive me NUTS.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve II on 2006-04-17 12:32 ]</font>

Kano-Okami
Apr 17, 2006, 02:34 PM
I wish I could but I doubt I'll be able to. Hopefully, the voice chatters won't leave the KBers out of the loop.

Lux
Apr 17, 2006, 02:42 PM
On 2006-04-17 12:34, Kano-Okami wrote:
I wish I could but I doubt I'll be able to. Hopefully, the voice chatters won't leave the KBers out of the loop.

Naaah voice chat isn't that popular / most people don't have a microphone. You don't need to fear that http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

DamonKatu
Apr 17, 2006, 02:54 PM
I wont sence I hate to hear a high pitch voice on the computer. >.> XD <,< its that horible to hear, exspecially in some online games. How many online games have that??

Pseudo
Apr 17, 2006, 03:48 PM
I dont think i'll be using voice-chat, i've got the software and all, by apparently i sound like a cross between Megatron from Transformers:Energon and Deem Bristow's Dr Eggman. -_-

Rubesahl
Apr 17, 2006, 07:11 PM
On 2006-04-17 12:31, Steve II wrote:
Plus there are certain people that actually hearing what they say, rather then reading it would just drive me NUTS.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve II on 2006-04-17 12:32 ]</font>

I totally agree. Plus I'm also a very shy peron :/ Honestly, I think voice chat in general isn't as popular in certain genres cause a lot of gamers are less social people. I actually enjoy being social through typing and I really am more social, more or so than in real life >_>; I'm not generalizing either but that's the image I have, dunno how close to reality it is.

Another thing is even though I speak very fluent English with almost no accent, my native language is still Spanish and people usually don't understand me as well when in voice chat cause of my small accent and order of words in the sentences.

Honestly, untitl the day where voice chat is just as clear as a phone, or more clearer than a cellphone to be exactt, I won't try it as my main use of communication unless I play with someone who speaks Spanish >_>;; For example, the cell phone quality in XB LIVE only makes me anxious and nervous since I don't hear myself like in the phone >_>;; I'm only calm speaking in the cellphone in spanish and I hate calling for english support for anything in a cellphone.

In the end I think text based chatting makes online games more accessible to everyone, I do think the option should always be there since I really like playing online and talking to friends through the phone and sometimes with teamspeak.

Ash1ey
Apr 17, 2006, 07:57 PM
Google Talk is actaully clearer then a phone, but it only lets you talk to one person at a time, but then again for me, that isn'tso bad.

I'm not really shy, its just alot of the time I talk too fast, too low, or end up mumbling. But I like to voice chat with one person at a time, if its a close friend it can be fun to just mess around http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/heartcookie.gif

Oh and theres the fact that I am LOUD , and alot of the time my mind is in the gutter when talk to friends http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif I dont want parents hearing that stufff

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve II on 2006-04-17 18:01 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Steve II on 2006-04-17 18:04 ]</font>

Rubesahl
Apr 17, 2006, 11:00 PM
Haha, that's yet another reason I don't like voice chat. Especially since I feel uncomfortable when others hear me talk English lol Otherwise with close friends I don't like talking in front of anybody for similar reasons >_>; that depends though, on the subject.

On a side note, I guess I'll give google talk a try...

vitius137
Apr 18, 2006, 12:04 AM
im gonna try it too. anyone wanna add my gmail account? it's [email protected]

Blitzkommando
Apr 18, 2006, 12:28 AM
If there is a built in voice chat of some sort that will make me drop the game that much faster. 99% of the time I don't want to hear the other people playing and the other 1% of the time can be done typing. That and that all of those highbandwidth chat feeds would absolutely kill the servers.

SekotheFOmar
Apr 18, 2006, 08:52 AM
I plan on using speak but if there are annoying people in te lobby or screaming/shouting forget it!!

Sir_Laguna
Apr 18, 2006, 02:10 PM
I'll likely be using some form of voice chat (Ventrilo, Teamspeak, etc.) as I'll be playing the PC version. I think voice chat's a very good thing... when it's used responsibly. It's a hell of a lot easier to just talk to someone in the middle of a battle instead of having to stop, type type type, and then continue fighting. If PSU will have some sort of built-in voice system, perhaps it'd be easier to have an "Allow" list where you only hear the people you want to instead of having to mute everyone you come across?

Besides, how else will I be able to share my imitation Solid Snake voice? I'm told it's very good. ;P

Ludian
Apr 18, 2006, 08:16 PM
im going to have to vote yes on this because simply your team is better when they can chat with you with just a push of a button and makes gameplay better strategic and such when you can communicate faster and everything its just so obvious on what to VOTE [YES]