PDA

View Full Version : PSU 360 BIG MISTAKE

Thaitsuki
Apr 19, 2006, 03:46 PM
Why on earth put another GREAT Phantasy Star game on a piece of shit console. Thanks ST now that PSU is gonna get hacked in a day or so.. AND I WISH THAT THEY GET THERE OWN DAMN SERVERS....

CaptainJebus
Apr 19, 2006, 03:53 PM
Err. Why such the negative comments. If I remmeber correctly the Gamecube servers were hacked much worse than the Xbox servers. The worse that happened to me ever on the Xbox servers was an FSOD, which I had only recieved maybe 4 of in a whole year. I had a curroption on the first day I went online on Gc. Honestly PSU is going to be fine, and if any of the versions are to be hacked I would say it is going to be the PC version. Stop being so negitive.

Edit: Plus you posted on the wrong board. D:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CaptainJebus on 2006-04-19 13:57 ]</font>

theepw2
Apr 19, 2006, 03:55 PM
Don't be so naive. If the game is going to get hacked, its not going to be purely down to Xbox 360 owners. I don't know what cloud your living on, but hacking occured on the Gamecube, and much worse on the Dreamcast.

qoxolg
Apr 19, 2006, 04:59 PM
some people just don't know the difference between a serverside saved game and an offline game where you can hack your savegames on your memorycard. it's not possible anymore for every little kid of 11 to hack such a game.

_glowstiq_
Apr 19, 2006, 05:15 PM
I think it's a great move by SEGA. They're going to appeal to more people this way. And as one of more earlier 360 MMORPGs, it'll probably sell well. If the servers are all connected, it will be nice to play with those who chose to buy the 360 and don't have a spectactular PC.

Kano-Okami
Apr 19, 2006, 05:19 PM
Thaitsuki, seeing as your post don't usually wind up here, let me 'lay down the law'.
Before we rant and go off the deep end, we usually make sure we have facts (or the lack there of,) before making such whiny remarks..but I digress to the point at hand

1.)The xbox 360 at a technical aspect (http://haker3000.tripod.com/id19.html) is far from "piece of shit" as you colorfully depicted.

2.)
-a.) What Online game has never gotten hacked, seriously?
-b.) PSU will be hosting server-side saving, thus having sonic team to be able to react to 'unusual activities' at a faster and more efficient pace.

3.) Sega doesn't have its own server persay, instead its using Force10's (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/680/680022p1.html) powerful servers,
because its faster and more effiecent.

So, before you spew venom about a game that you have yet to play, I'd hold my tounge.

Rubesahl
Apr 19, 2006, 05:36 PM
Please, no ranting wars on which version is better. This time unlike Ep 1 &2 we can be pretty sure every version is going to be pretty much the same goddamn thing with the exception of visual quality which won't even be that earth shattering. I completely agree with Kano, you should first gather the facts and then critisize. This is a video game forum but it doesn't mean we go around making childish remarks, try to be mature with the situation or you'll only get flamed.

With server side saving Sega is preventing with just that many of the old problems that haunted us in the older versions of PSO. At least we know characters won't probably be manipulated much and I don't think it won't go farther than maybe one or two hacking incidents and of course, like in all online games, the exploitation of bugs in the game. All in all its not the end of the world and I'm actually glad Sega is taking such a broad approach towards broadening their horizons with PSU. I wouldn't be at all surprised to hear the announcement for it on the revolution either, especially if the revolution will bring a more standard controller as an adapter which I'm pretty sure they will for the support of gamecube games.

YOnyx360
Apr 19, 2006, 05:47 PM
I greatly dissagree with you. Why all the hating on Xbox 360. I think that Xbox 360 and the XBox is better than the PS2 bar-none.
The Online On the 360 is way better than PS2. I don't think that there will be any hacks on PSU on the Xbox 360 anyway. Maybe PSU will come out on Revolution wich will be abit hard considering that its a bloody remote control but it will still be very cool. (There are many Xbox haters) http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif what a shame

Ash1ey
Apr 19, 2006, 06:21 PM
Oh grow up. If anything, PSU will get hacked on PC much easier then it will on Xbox 360.

Lux
Apr 19, 2006, 06:27 PM
I actually still can't believe that ST moved their asses.. I'm still speculating that they'll have problem synching so many verisons, so much different stuff to update... that's not ST's speciality as we experienced earlier (XBox Ep1&2 still missing many quests and events aren't put online/offline at time blah).

Ziro_Natsuke
Apr 19, 2006, 08:16 PM
dude how old are you? maybe you just should read more instead of guessing whats gonna happen. dont you know that server side saving will prevent hacking unless its just a little glitch which wont mean nothin. if you dont like what sega is doin then dont even get the game! just miss out on a great, altering hack-free experience.

Ancient
Apr 19, 2006, 08:27 PM
The problems with PSO on the Xbox were mainly due to lack of proper communication between ST and M$. I'm pretty sure both sides will look to solve those problems this time, especially since PSU is far more high profile than PSO was at the time. M$ needs all the Japanese good will they can get.
Plus the hard drive on the 360 would possibly allow for downloadable game fixes for exploits, should ST fell fit to release them. Even the 360 memory card is large enough to handle the job. And I'm not sure why all the different platforms couldnt be on the same server as well, if Squenix can do it for FF11 then by golly so can Sega. Although I wouldnt cry if the 360 DID have it's own servers in order to fully implement voice chat.
All is all, this is very good news. Unless you dont own, or plan to own a 360, in which case its just news. Perhaps we'll see a Revolution port as well, who knows.

Here's a theoretical question:
If they made a Linux version of PSU...and the PS3 DOES come loaded with Linux...would a PS3 port even be needed? hmmmm
My biggest concern really, is that Sega uses properly speedy servers for PSU. So that PSO's legendary lag is left in the past.

REJ-
Apr 19, 2006, 08:58 PM
On 2006-04-19 15:47, YOnyx360 wrote:

Maybe PSU will come out on Revolution wich will be abit hard considering that its a bloody remote control but it will still be very cool.

Didn't the Revolution have a plug that can use Gamecube controllers? I remember seeing it in a picture once. That might be how the Revolution would play it. Or... since ST is having a new streak of creativity, they might be able to find a really nice set of controls for the Revolution version of PSU. That new controller might actually be really good for the game, it's different, but it's like the difference between Mouse+Keyboard and Joystick+Buttons. We'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

OdinTyler
Apr 19, 2006, 09:16 PM
Please no more versions! LOL The game's been delayed enough. If there will be other versions let those of us that have been waiting pick which version we want so we can get to play. THEN, if they want to release the game on even more systems, so be it. The beta's underway, Sega...GIVE US A RELEASE DATE, ALREADY!

Rubesahl
Apr 19, 2006, 09:18 PM
Precisely what I've been saying, especially since the Revolution will support GC games, I don't see why they wouldn't make an adapter for the GC controller, plus the GC controller is an excellent one, and its still my preffered controller for PSO to this day.

Eihwaz
Apr 19, 2006, 09:20 PM
Ugh, people constantly beg and for PSU on Xbox 360. When it's announced for Xbox 360, they whine about it and then beg for it on Revolution. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Ziro_Natsuke
Apr 19, 2006, 09:25 PM
On 2006-04-19 19:16, OdinTyler wrote:
Please no more versions! LOL The game's been delayed enough. If there will be other versions let those of us that have been waiting pick which version we want so we can get to play. THEN, if they want to release the game on even more systems, so be it. The beta's underway, Sega...GIVE US A RELEASE DATE, ALREADY!

amen to that :D

Ancient
Apr 19, 2006, 09:47 PM
I dont think the people that were begging for a 360 version before are whining now...unless its a happy whine...like that guy in the Dark Crystal
I feel happy hap-hap-happy!

hypersaxon
Apr 19, 2006, 10:46 PM
At least the Xbox version didn't have character data corruption problems like the Gamecube did... that and I could actually play games other than PSO on it lol

Eclypse
Apr 19, 2006, 11:42 PM
On 2006-04-19 13:46, Thaitsuki wrote:
Why on earth put another GREAT Phantasy Star game on a piece of shit console. Thanks ST now that PSU is gonna get hacked in a day or so.. AND I WISH THAT THEY GET THERE OWN DAMN SERVERS....

Son son son, shut the fuck up with that bullshit. Only someone with a personal bias against MSFT would post something this damn stupid. If you had any fucking clue you would know that the GC and DC versions were and are the most hacked versions of that game to date, and the Xbox version did have it's hackers, but no where near the level of the previous systems.

Put the HATERADE down and get a damn clue about whats really going on because son you have it serious twisted.

Eclypse
Apr 19, 2006, 11:49 PM
On 2006-04-19 15:19, Kano-Okami wrote:
Thaitsuki, seeing as your post don't usually wind up here, let me 'lay down the law'.
Before we rant and go off the deep end, we usually make sure we have facts (or the lack there of,) before making such whiny remarks..but I digress to the point at hand

1.)The xbox 360 at a technical aspect (http://haker3000.tripod.com/id19.html) is far from "piece of shit" as you colorfully depicted.

2.)
-a.) What Online game has never gotten hacked, seriously?
-b.) PSU will be hosting server-side saving, thus having sonic team to be able to react to 'unusual activities' at a faster and more efficient pace.

3.) Sega doesn't have its own server persay, instead its using Force10's (http://ps2.ign.com/articles/680/680022p1.html) powerful servers,
because its faster and more effiecent.

So, before you spew venom about a game that you have yet to play, I'd hold my tounge.

Amen, finally an intelligent post.

Eclypse
Apr 19, 2006, 11:52 PM
On 2006-04-19 19:16, OdinTyler wrote:

...this coming from the unofficial know it all of PSU that not to long ago swore it would not be in the 360 blah blah blah.

Why would you know want more versions to be released so more people play it, meaning a larger base and more overall fun? I think that's a rather closed minded way of thinking.....because you have been waiting....Sega should release it for those that have wanted it for so long, um haven't we all be waiting the same amount of time?

REJ-
Apr 20, 2006, 01:02 AM
Eclypse, don't double triple post. Use the edit button next time.

Eclypse
Apr 20, 2006, 01:19 AM
When I'm addressing different people I don't like to post them in the same message so I will just stick to what works for me thank you very much.

Rubesahl
Apr 20, 2006, 07:39 AM
On 2006-04-19 19:47, Ancient wrote:
I dont think the people that were begging for a 360 version before are whining now...unless its a happy whine...like that guy in the Dark Crystal
I feel happy hap-hap-happy!

Yes, its more like the one's that wanted it were whining cause it wasn't announced and now the 360 haters whine cause it WAS announced >_>;

SekotheFOmar
Apr 20, 2006, 08:05 AM
From what I've seen on xbox live no one has modded their 360...yet. I wouldn't with I screw up on it then I would have to buy another 360. I don't mod by the way

kazuma56
Apr 20, 2006, 09:26 AM
I'm with Odin...IF the 360 release is the reason for the delay then ST did a BAD move imo...I can see it being a "good" thing to have everyone start at the same pace (lvl-wise community etc) and not be thrusted into a huge change like 360 FFXI users probably will face ones going onto the rather "inflated" prices of the server they happen to choose, but I still think we PC and PS2 users should've been getting the game earlier then the 360.

DizzyDi
Apr 20, 2006, 09:39 AM
I doubt ST with delay PSU anymore just for the 360 release. It'll probably just release it for the PS2 and make all the Xboxites wait a lil bit to get thier hands on it.

Kano-Okami
Apr 20, 2006, 09:52 AM
On 2006-04-20 07:26, kazuma56 wrote:
I'm with Odin...IF the 360 release is the reason for the delay then ST did a BAD move imo...I can see it being a "good" thing to have everyone start at the same pace (lvl-wise community etc) and not be thrusted into a huge change like 360 FFXI users probably will face ones going onto the rather "inflated" prices of the server they happen to choose, but I still think we PC and PS2 users should've been getting the game earlier then the 360.

I beg to differ. I doubt the delay of PSU's release was the 360 adaptation. The most reasonable cause of delay was working out the 'kinks' with the servers & the online perspective. The biggest change in the 360 version would simply be changing the control scheme, and if it's a port of the PC version (ps2's version will be more limited, imo), then I don't see it causing a major change in the release date.
Besides, if ST was thinking about release date in those perspectives, then this game would have a world-wide beta (aside from our clever registers from our forums)& release.

Omega_Nova
Apr 20, 2006, 09:56 AM
If Final Fantasy XI on the Xbox 360 is going to be similar to PSU than I won't even bother playing when the game launches.

The main reason I'm apposed to this is because when Sonic went multiplatform the franchise pretty much went down the drain.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be playing Phantasy Star Heroes or Kireek the Robot any time soon.

They should be focusing their efforts on the PS2 and PC at this point.

Kano-Okami
Apr 20, 2006, 10:23 AM
I don't know where this comparison to FFXI as a deturant came from, but as far as I do know, Being multiplatform isn't the problem.
The only difference is the hardware, in those situations, not the software. In which case, SonicTeam is a game developer, i.e. in the software business.
The reasons the later games did so poorly, wasn't because they had games on multiple platforms, it was because ST wanted to try 'new ideas'.
PSU is more of the idea of PSO, with a splash of the PS series, to breathe new life into an existing sucessful media.
and for the record, Sonic Team has been focusing on the PS2 & PC.
Just think of the 360 as a 'happy excursion'.
The only true downside is Live (gold) fee+Hunter's License (if it's still going by that name).

Omega_Nova
Apr 20, 2006, 10:36 AM
Unfortantly if they plan on releasing all versions the same day we can pretty much expect delays then because of the Xbox360.

I can pretty much gurantee at least one version will get dumped and neglected, which is disappointing.

Sev
Apr 20, 2006, 12:09 PM
No version of the game is gong to get dumped. Honestly... They're just gonna redistribute the same content to everyone. It's serverside right? I'm guessing, but I don't think you can make changes to the game and just leave out one system when it's like that. Moreso, I don't think that you can do things like release content only for one of the systems... All of the content has to be released at once. Moreso, it has to be released for the whole world and not just one area.

When we get PSU, there will be things we'll probably need to download right from the start, the would patch problems thus far and would add content that's been available so far. Well, that's my take on it at least.

physic
Apr 20, 2006, 12:12 PM
yeah you can, just cause its server side doesnt mean you acess teh same servers. But really my biggest beef with teh 360 news, is it seems like its why we are getting a huge delay. coincidence that teh brand new platform and teh original platforms now share very similar release dates? probably not.

Sinue_v2
Apr 20, 2006, 12:13 PM
The main reason I'm apposed to this is because when Sonic went multiplatform the franchise pretty much went down the drain.

If you ask me, I think the franchise took a nosedive the moment Sega decided that Sonic Team would be given the Phantasy Star licence to adapt to their new Diablo-Clone game. Reiko Kodama and Tohru Yoshida never should have been cut out of the loop - and while it did give them time to develop Skies of Arcadia (a great game IMO), their presence in Phantasy Star is sorely missed.

I don't know about you, but I don't want to be playing Phantasy Star Heroes or Kireek the Robot any time soon.

You won't. Phantasy Star Online is pretty much a dead branch of the PS franchise at this point. The best you could hope for is perhaps a PSP port of Blue Burst - but even that I doubt.

I can pretty much gurantee at least one version will get dumped and neglected, which is disappointing.

I doubt that - considering that (to the best of my knowladge) the PS2, PC, and X360 versions will share the same servers. Any updates and enhancements to one version would have to made to the other versions as well. New quests and such will not take any real extra programming for each platform since they're all designed to run on the PSU engine. It's no different than Square making changes or modifications to the server in FFXI, which transfer over to all platforms flawlessly.

Also.. I wouldn't expect delays because of the X360 version. It's probably been in development since long before it was announced - or even rumored... and I doubt Sonic Team would hold up the release of the PS2 and PC versions if the X360 version isn't ready in time. They'd just stagger the release dates so they can at least get some return on their money.

Actually, it would probably be smarter for them since many of us who have (or are getting) X360's would pick it up for either PS2 or PC at it's initial launch - and then buy yet another copy of the game for the X360 for the LIVE and enhanced visuals. They can sell the game twice over and not have to put the same meger level of effort they slapped into v.2 for the DC.

LocWolf
Apr 20, 2006, 12:38 PM
It will probably take no time to port a PS2 quality game on the 360 considering how technically superior it is. As for people thinking that multi-platforming is a bad idea, I don't really see the point. The Xbox ver of PSO was somewhat neglected and underdeveloped mainly because it was an old ass port of a Dreamcast game. If I were MS, I wouldn't put a whole lot of money into that either. This time will be different, because PSU is a brand new game coming out on all of these systems at once. If any version is going to sink, it will be the PS2 ver.....you have to realize that in a year or two it will be nearly obsolete.

If anybody should be mad at a system, it should be the PS2 for limiting the possibilities of PSU, they have to accomodate a memory card sized cache for updates and patches. PSU would actually be a better game if it weren't coming to the PS2 in my opinion, but that's a different topic all together.

Sev
Apr 20, 2006, 12:50 PM
I agree there. I'm not a big fan of the PS2, because it limits tons of games. I just kinda deal with it though, since everyone seems to love it so much, you can't expect Sega to pass it up.

It would be better if it didn't come out for PS2, but that would limit alot of people and force them into pricey upgrades. There's also the point that it's too popular to drop. So, we'll just be limited. It's not really that big of a deal in the end.

PhotonCat
Apr 20, 2006, 01:04 PM
The Xbox 360 isn't a "POS" console. It is the same as any console - people play it and enjoy it.

It will be harder to hack this time because of the server-side saving. Although, there will be people who try to ruin it for others on every platform.
If you think all the hacking, or, attempts at hacking are Xbox specific, boy you need to get your facts straight.

Sphtker
Apr 20, 2006, 01:37 PM
if i remember correctly, nobody has acctually succesfuly modded the 360 to hack the game anyways, and even if they did, again server side saving cuts out a lot of what they could do to the game with a modded console.

Eclypse
Apr 20, 2006, 02:14 PM
On 2006-04-20 07:56, Omega_Nova wrote:
If Final Fantasy XI on the Xbox 360 is going to be similar to PSU than I won't even bother playing when the game launches.

How do you figure the series went down the drain from going multiplatform? The DC had lots of people on it, but the bottom line is tha the system was not supported and was doomed to fail anyway. Taking the combined totals of the GC and Xbox versions the total amount of people surpassed the amount of US gamers on PSODC.

BORBAN
Apr 20, 2006, 03:30 PM
On 2006-04-19 13:46, Thaitsuki wrote:

Awww you gonna cry?
by the sounds of what you're saying you're mad because you don't have one I bet and 360 owners will probably be getting a better deal. and in truth it doesn't matter what systems it's for it's still going to get hacked.
Especially if they make an Action Replay.

ANIMEniac
Apr 20, 2006, 03:58 PM
remember though, b/c of the new game engine it will take a little longer for hacks to apear. but one thing i just thought about, i hope guild cards dont take up friends list space like it does on PSOX, cause if thats the case my friends list is in trouble.

Kayai
Apr 20, 2006, 05:23 PM
Hmm so it seems that i was wrong about them doing this....well, with this info came some sort of release besides "06" so im quite happy with the news (plus my friends with 360's can play now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif)

Otis_Kat
Apr 20, 2006, 05:58 PM
If they do add voice chat I hope it's selectivly, there's a lot of people who arn't intelligent enough to express themselves without an f-bomb every 2 seconds.

Why wouldn't you want it on 360 and linked servers? More people to play with, and the "There'll be a lot of noobs" argument doesn't work, every online game has them.

Omega_Nova
Apr 20, 2006, 06:44 PM
On 2006-04-20 12:14, Eclypse wrote:

How do you figure the series went down the drain from going multiplatform? The DC had lots of people on it, but the bottom line is tha the system was not supported and was doomed to fail anyway. Taking the combined totals of the GC and Xbox versions the total amount of people surpassed the amount of US gamers on PSODC.

A bit of confusion there, I was refering to the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, not Phantasy Star.

Though compared to the original Phantasy Star games PSO's plot was far from perfect.

voxie
Apr 20, 2006, 07:07 PM
On 2006-04-20 13:58, ANIMEniac wrote:
remember though, b/c of the new game engine it will take a little longer for hacks to apear. but one thing i just thought about, i hope guild cards dont take up friends list space like it does on PSOX, cause if thats the case my friends list is in trouble.

With hacking in mind, the Japanese Beta is using 'Game Guard'. Not totally sure what it is, but I think it's a security precaution?

Hopefully the EU and US version will be using something similar?

Zinger314
Apr 20, 2006, 07:20 PM
On 2006-04-20 17:07, voxie wrote:

On 2006-04-20 13:58, ANIMEniac wrote:

With hacking in mind, the Japanese Beta is using 'Game Guard'. Not totally sure what it is, but I think it's a security precaution?

Hopefully the EU and US version will be using something similar?

PSOBB uses GameGuard, and we all know how well it works.

GaijinPUnch
Apr 20, 2006, 08:13 PM
I agree that Sonic Teams games got bad once they went multi-platform. Look at all the corners cut in Sonic Heroes (the camera work is awful, and the control is not nearly as tight as it should be). The problem is b/c multiplatformed games are desigend with middlewear involved. Having some middlewear between 3 pieces of hardware and one software engine is never going to use any hardware to it's fullest. Just the way it goes. Not like their games are horrible -- they could just be better.

Porting from PS2 to Xbox360 would NOT be easy. Their architectures are entirely different. Porting from anything to the 360 at this point would be a task, as it shares no common architecture w/ anything -- even the Xbox.

At this point, I could only assume that the Xbox360 servers will share w/ the other two. I'm basing this on the fact that the JPN 360 is not being ignored. It's install base is pathetically low (way lower than the original Xbox, which sucked). Regardless if other regions are connected, they would still want a nice population of Japanese 360 players to play w/ someone. Just my speculation,.

voxie
Apr 20, 2006, 08:20 PM
Zinger314: Is that sarcasm? lol I'm guessing it is, as I've heard a lot of hacking goes on in PSOBB, though no where as bad as GC and XBOX PSO...

GaijinPUnch: Yep porting is a risky business (ever experience Half Life 2 on XBox, OMFG! Why did they even try!?). And I believe they'd be porting the PC/Windows version of PSU to the 360, which makes more sense, not porting from the PS2??

Sinue_v2
Apr 20, 2006, 08:52 PM
Though compared to the original Phantasy Star games PSO's plot was far from perfect.

Not really...

Only one of the original Phantasy Star games had a strong narative and characterizations. I - III's scripts were increadibly light and riddled with plotholes, mistranslations, and mistakes. By contrast - PSO actually has more of a storyline than the original series (sans PSIV) when you take into account all the quests, episodes, ect. And yes... PSO I-IV is all technically ONE game.

The only PSO game different enough to be considered a sequel - is PSO EP III. The others are all just expansions to the original Dreamcast release - which is why Blue Burst contains all the Episodes (sans III). PSO Ep III was considered just an Episode, however, because of the structure of the releases they had built up. It wouldn't make much sence to have PSO Ep I, Ep II, PSO II, PSO Ep IV now would it?

Now.. as to which series has the better storyline? That's a matter of personal choice. The original series draws much of epic nature from the fact that all three games are, comparitively, closely connected. PSO, however, is just a loose conglomeration of several seperate storylines which ocassionally cross paths and revolve (but are not necessarily connected to) a central event.

It was only Phantasy Star IV which really glued the original series together, and that is something that PSO lacks.

GaijinPUnch
Apr 20, 2006, 09:00 PM
The thing is, I really am never moved by a storyline in any RPG. I miss the old days, with heavy gameplay, light story. Phantasy Star is what I lost my RPG virginity too, so always holds a special part in my heart. Oh, one other thing "non-linear gameplay". This started going out the door in the 16-bit era, and AFAIK, was gone in the 32-bit.

Eclypse
Apr 20, 2006, 11:30 PM
On 2006-04-20 16:44, Omega_Nova wrote:

On 2006-04-20 12:14, Eclypse wrote:

A bit of confusion there, I was refering to the Sonic the Hedgehog franchise, not Phantasy Star.

Oh then I agree with you completely, I thought you were refering to Phantasy Star.

I would consider the plot for PSO to be shabby at best, and Sonic was the shit on Genesis, but completely feel apart once it stopped competeing with Mario.