PDA

View Full Version : Extra Mode Offline: Who Would Play It?

Zinger314
Apr 20, 2006, 07:31 PM
As some may remember, I was a fervent PSO player way back in the Xbox era. (See Registration date. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif )

Now, after learing that PSU will now be on the Xbox 360 (I refused to play PSO on the Computer...PSOBB was such a pain to control.), I've decided to come back to PSO once it's released in the fall.

However, there's something strange I noticed: There is an "Offline Extra Mode" where you can play as a offline only custom character in places you've unlocked in Single Player.

Obviously, this character can only be played offline because you could theoetically hack the character.

But would anyone with access to Online bother with this mode? It seems pointless to play as a character who can't ever play online...

Oji_Retta
Apr 20, 2006, 07:36 PM
On 2006-04-20 17:31, Zinger314 wrote:
As some may remember, I was a fervent PSO player way back in the Xbox era. (See Registration date. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif )

Now, after learing that PSU will now be on the Xbox 360 (I refused to play PSO on the Computer...PSOBB was such a pain to control.), I've decided to come back to PSO once it's released in the fall.

However, there's something strange I noticed: There is an "Offline Extra Mode" where you can play as a offline only custom character in places you've unlocked in Single Player.

Obviously, this character can only be played offline because you could theoetically hack the character.

But would anyone with access to Online bother with this mode? It seems pointless to play as a character who can't ever play online...

I'm from the Dreamcast era and I would.

DarK-SuN
Apr 20, 2006, 07:43 PM
It can be a useful mode to test out character designs and character evolution builds without wasting an online character slot with it, since you're limited to 4 characters online.
Appart from that, it's also useful for those who are stuck offline and would like to create their own characters.

Lux
Apr 20, 2006, 07:43 PM
Uh wasn't there some report that it isn't "offline", you need online access to be able to play that mode?

Ziro_Natsuke
Apr 20, 2006, 08:20 PM
even if i have online i would still play it just to play it.

Kyunji
Apr 20, 2006, 08:31 PM
As DarK-SuN said, it is more than likely a feature made in order to appeal to those without an Internet connection. (This is also probably why the word "Online" was removed from the title.) Although most of the members of this message board are lucky enough to have high-speed Internet connections (or Internet connections at all, come to that) some of the more casual gamers may only have a 56k connection, which does not work out well for MMORPGs.

At any rate, I would/will certainly play it.

echo-2003
Apr 20, 2006, 08:34 PM
On 2006-04-20 17:31, Zinger314 wrote:

A better question would be, who would play with a character that can ONLY be played online? What will you do when PSU goes for good like PSO will eventually?

I'm going to play online for a month or two but after that there won't be any point in the long run of it so I will be playing story mode + Extra mode for thousands of enjoyable hours.

Server side saving while has it's benefits just make the whole point of playing games moot since in the end you have nothing to show for it.

Unless an option were availible that say lets you take your online only character that you've built up and take it offline only once you do there is no going back online with it.

In which case I would play online 100% till I was satisfied with my characters and take them offline where they will be safe with me for all time and for future playing sessions.

Inu_Shadi
Apr 20, 2006, 08:35 PM
I would play it when my DSL goes down, which happens a lot , and it usually down for atleast a day or so...

Sinue_v2
Apr 20, 2006, 08:37 PM
I plan to use the "Extra" mode, but not nearly as much as the Online mode.

Saraphim
Apr 20, 2006, 08:49 PM
On 2006-04-20 18:35, Inu_Shadi wrote:
I would play it when my DSL goes down, which happens a lot , and it usually down for atleast a day or so...

You will still need an internet connection to play off line. It's a security measure I assume, so if your DSL is out, so are you unfortunatly http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Ziro_Natsuke
Apr 20, 2006, 08:53 PM
On 2006-04-20 18:49, Saraphim wrote:

On 2006-04-20 18:35, Inu_Shadi wrote:

You will still need an internet connection to play off line. It's a security measure I assume, so if your DSL is out, so are you unfortunatly http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

i assume thats for the pc version cuz i know you dont need a connection to play offline ps2 cuz it wouldnt be called offline, it would be called dumb.

Skorpius
Apr 20, 2006, 09:13 PM
From what I've read, your Extra Mode character is seperate from your Online Character. Why would you need to log online to access Extra Mode just to play with a character that isn't your Online Character? Also, what would these security measures be protecting if the character is seperate?

I believe that Extra Mode will be accessable without an internet connection, given logical reasoning.

Inu_Shadi
Apr 20, 2006, 09:14 PM
well...thats it, im asking clumsy, if they do that for the america version thats just wrong, japan gets broadband for 25 dollars a month and its reliable, here it is not and it costs way more...and if they do that...im getting the XBOX360 version cause the PS2 version will well, not be so good.

Kyunji
Apr 20, 2006, 09:16 PM
On 2006-04-20 19:13, Skorpius wrote:
From what I've read, your Extra Mode character is seperate from your Online Character. Why would you need to log online to access Extra Mode just to play with a character that isn't your Online Character? Also, what would these security measures be protecting if the character is seperate?

I believe that Extra Mode will be accessable without an internet connection, given logical reasoning.

It may be that the Internet connection is only required for PC for a confirmation code, such as in Windows XP and Half-Life 2, I believe.

Inu_Shadi
Apr 20, 2006, 09:18 PM
On 2006-04-20 19:16, Kyunji wrote:

It may be that the Internet connection is only required for PC for a confirmation code, such as in Windows XP and Half-Life 2, I believe.

Gosh i hope thats what that guy meant in his blog, if not Grrrrrrr

Lux
Apr 20, 2006, 10:02 PM
In that case you could just get a crack, like ppl did for HL2