PDA

View Full Version : Strafing While Shooting?

Zinger314
Apr 21, 2006, 04:37 PM
The battle video posted in another topic (http://youtube.com/watch?v=mo-mRB2ksro&search=phantasy%20star%20universe ) indicates that it is possible to strafe while shooting a gun.

Obviously, any Ranger who played Episode 1+2 knows that this feature is new.

Anyone think this could possibly unbalance Ranger characters? You move much faster than the enemy...If they are chasing you, just run backwards and keep on shooting...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Zinger314 on 2006-04-21 14:39 ]</font>

_Tek_
Apr 21, 2006, 04:44 PM
That's how rangers have always been. If you had a rifle and enemies got to close you run away. That's why its called ranged combat. I think its much better.

_glowstiq_
Apr 21, 2006, 04:52 PM
I don't think it would be THAT unbalanced. I am of course hoping this is only with the pistol class. If it isn't, I believe the ATA should be somewhat decreased as you move.

ALL THAT ASIDE,

THAT IS SO FREAKIN' COOL! >_<

_Tek_
Apr 21, 2006, 04:57 PM
Plus you noticed you could missfire while strafing, because you're character starts moving in a straight line, i guess you gotta stop for it to re center onthe target again.

vitius137
Apr 21, 2006, 05:26 PM
thats right, as you strafe you no longer lock onto the target so thats a dissadvantage. and so far from what iv seen its not that cheap seeing as the enemies look easy enough to dodge even with close range combat.

Wavey
Apr 21, 2006, 05:28 PM
from what I have seen, the enemies dodge, you can dodge, etc. it all seems alot "smarter" to me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

vitius137
Apr 21, 2006, 05:58 PM
smart is good http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

OdinTyler
Apr 21, 2006, 06:03 PM
You can move to avoid being hit, but, if you're in First Person mode, you can NOT strafe. ST already said it & I played the demo & it was definitely not possible. Unless they did something last minute, expect it to be the same.

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Apr 21, 2006, 06:10 PM
I kinda think Rangers were unbalanced in PSO, so this new feature might make them even more unbalanced....
I agree, It should decrease your ata if you are moving while firing...

vitius137
Apr 21, 2006, 06:11 PM
im fine with that (wow im bored, ok ill stop posting like 20 times in a row now)

lol, im just making 3 word comments..... ill just watch psu vids some more and check back on the forums every 40 mins.

Zinger314
Apr 21, 2006, 06:13 PM
On 2006-04-21 16:03, OdinTyler wrote:
You can move to avoid being hit, but, if you're in First Person mode, you can NOT strafe. ST already said it & I played the demo & it was definitely not possible. Unless they did something last minute, expect it to be the same.

You would only need to be in First person mode for flying enemies and such. Otherwise, you could equip 2 Handguns and unleash hell while walking backward.

I know I plan to make a Ranger Cast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

OdinTyler
Apr 21, 2006, 06:32 PM
Actually, FPS is also for targeting weak points on an enemy. It's especially true on a flying creature so you can target it's wings. However, FPS can be used in a variety of ways. You just can't move while doing so, sadly. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

DizzyDi
Apr 21, 2006, 06:59 PM
On 2006-04-21 16:13, Zinger314 wrote:

You would only need to be in First person mode for flying enemies and such. Otherwise, you could equip 2 Handguns and unleash hell while walking backward.

I know I plan to make a Ranger Cast. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Lets hope ST has already thought of a way to balance that. And if not, someone should comment to ST about this during beta, one of our translators.

Kupi
Apr 21, 2006, 07:12 PM
From what I've heard, guns of all kinds consume PP even when using their normal attacks. If you're going to just keep firing, you're going to run out of ammunition and have to wait for the PP to recharge.

Razon
Apr 21, 2006, 07:15 PM
On 2006-04-21 17:12, Kupi wrote:
From what I've heard, guns of all kinds consume PP even when using their normal attacks. If you're going to just keep firing, you're going to run out of ammunition and have to wait for the PP to recharge.That's true, it kinda sucks.

Kyunji
Apr 21, 2006, 07:19 PM
On 2006-04-21 17:15, Razon wrote:

From what I've heard, guns of all kinds consume PP even when using their normal attacks. If you're going to just keep firing, you're going to run out of ammunition and have to wait for the PP to recharge.That's true, it kinda sucks.

But which is worse - not being invincible, or having everyone on the game be the same character class just so that they don't have to worry about being killed?

vitius137
Apr 21, 2006, 07:22 PM
ammo for the guns? hmm................ i really hope it wont end up being a big pain in the A double S

Razon
Apr 21, 2006, 07:22 PM
On 2006-04-21 17:19, Kyunji wrote:

But which is worse - not being invincible, or having everyone on the game be the same character class just so that they don't have to worry about being killed?Well I say it sucks because, I faught against the dragon for over 20 mins and ended up dying do to running out of all my healing items- getting only so little gunshots in as it recharged slowly. On a side note, there are items to restore it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Razon on 2006-04-21 17:23 ]</font>

Kyunji
Apr 21, 2006, 07:24 PM
On 2006-04-21 17:22, Razon wrote:

But which is worse - not being invincible, or having everyone on the game be the same character class just so that they don't have to worry about being killed?Well I say it sucks because, I faught against the dragon for over 20 mins and ended up dying do to running out of all my healing items- getting only so little gunshots in as it recharged slowly.

Okay, you might have a point there. However, that's probably the sort of thing that would increase with your stats. (Don't ask me how that would work logically, but from a gameplay standpoint, it would only make sense.)

Razon
Apr 21, 2006, 07:26 PM
On 2006-04-21 17:24, Kyunji wrote:

On 2006-04-21 17:22, Razon wrote:

But which is worse - not being invincible, or having everyone on the game be the same character class just so that they don't have to worry about being killed?Well I say it sucks because, I faught against the dragon for over 20 mins and ended up dying do to running out of all my healing items- getting only so little gunshots in as it recharged slowly.

Okay, you might have a point there. However, that's probably the sort of thing that would increase with your stats. (Don't ask me how that would work logically, but from a gameplay standpoint, it would only make sense.)Well in the shops, for example.. 2 guns that both cost 800, one has higher pp and lower attack while the other has lower pp and higher attack. So it works like that, pick either power or shots. Maybe there's way to grind them higher, or something like in pso.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Razon on 2006-04-21 17:27 ]</font>

DizzyDi
Apr 21, 2006, 07:29 PM
However the system works, I just hope rangers don't turn out to be uber in the higher levels like in PSO. The types should be balanced so that no one type is better than another.

Zinger314
Apr 21, 2006, 08:13 PM
On 2006-04-21 17:29, DizzyDi wrote:
However the system works, I just hope rangers don't turn out to be uber in the higher levels like in PSO. The types should be balanced so that no one type is better than another.

Rangers were only uber because they get uber weapons (Frozen Shooter and Spread Needle)

However, it's dissappointing to know that Normal Shots do consume PP.

vitius137
Apr 21, 2006, 09:14 PM
wonder how much PP the SUV weapon attack will use ( i know theyre not equippable weapons and that you can use them after recieving certain amount of dmg)

CAPACRAZE
Apr 21, 2006, 09:18 PM
well rangers will still have problems picking up rares before all the hunters grab them

vitius137
Apr 21, 2006, 09:26 PM
thats true, my friends looted so many damn rare items from me.... i remember at lvl 8 i killed a shark and he dropped a Dragon/HP+ and my friend stole it >.>
i mean it was my game so i just transfered the item later. but that was unnecesarry work

Shade-
Apr 21, 2006, 10:49 PM
On 2006-04-21 19:26, vitius137 wrote:
thats true, my friends looted so many damn rare items from me.... i remember at lvl 8 i killed a shark and he dropped a Dragon/HP+ and my friend stole it >.>
i mean it was my game so i just transfered the item later. but that was unnecesarry work

Speaking of, has it been confirmed how items drop in this game? same way as pso? direct to random players inventory? into party loot pool to be rolled on?

mechatra
Apr 22, 2006, 03:43 AM
I think we've seen meseta or something be dropped in one of the vids. Seemed like the character just ran over it to pick it p, but they might have pressed an action button. I'm afraid I'm not sure.

Also about the guns using ammo. It seems that PP recharges slowly. MY question for anyone who's tried the beta (or anyone who might know infact) is how many weapon setups can you have on your character?

In one f the vids it seems the handgun a lvl 5 char is using has 3oo and something PP.

I think it'd take a fair while for that to run out while your strafing and firing as it recharges slowly aswell. And if it may run out, can't you just switch to another gun anyway?

OdinTyler
Apr 22, 2006, 07:56 AM
Well, I know in the demo, you can hold up to 6 wep setups (tho not all 6 were used). Im guessing you can have at least as many as that, so 6 or more weps. Probably however many weps you can hold at the time.

DamonKatu
Apr 22, 2006, 09:42 AM
On 2006-04-21 15:28, Wavey wrote:
from what I have seen, the enemies dodge, you can dodge, etc. it all seems alot "smarter" to me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Smarter? try genus!! I been doing that in PSO but the controls on PSU seems smooth enought that you can dodge around the corner of an monster attack. In pso, you have to move back and forth which was a problem sence the monsters would suround you and they removed that problem by adding more charter movement thus you can move easily without the clunky walking in perverous pso games.

Violation
Apr 22, 2006, 12:19 PM
Well what I am wondering about is if you have like (for example) 3 pistols. If you use up all the pp for one of them and then switch to another one, will the one you put away recharge pp even though it is not equiped and is in your inventory?

Striker_X_360
Apr 22, 2006, 02:11 PM
OMG I NEED PSU NOW!!!!

OdinTyler
Apr 22, 2006, 02:52 PM
That's a good question, Violation. I'm guessing that maybe standing still (like in PSO) it will recharge. Odds are you'd have to have it equipped, but, I can't say for sure. If that's the case, I'd switch it to my offhand (left hand) wep so it can charge while I'd still attack. Can anyone from the beta test offer input on this?

Uncle_bob
Apr 22, 2006, 06:05 PM
Does handgun PP regenerate reasonably fast?
And how much PP does each normal shot use? The videos were blurry to me so I couldn't quite tell. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Uncle_bob on 2006-04-22 16:06 ]</font>

kassy
Apr 22, 2006, 07:08 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the strafing animation looks really bad? as if the character is sliding over the ground rather than making contact with it, lol.

I know it's not a big element, heh, just looks awkward looking to me, also I hate the repetitive speech the character makes when she makes a combo in that video. Kinda disappointed to see the 3 combo system is still a big part of the game thus far from the beta videos I've seen, but I guess I expected that from the official battle videos I'd seen in the past

However, wielding two weapons does look like a nice change of pace.

ANIMEniac
Apr 22, 2006, 07:48 PM
well i think the unfairness depends... on pso from lvl 1-35 rangers seem ALOT better than hunters becuse they are almost just as powerful and dont have to worry about close quarters. but later on the power goes more to the hunter side, untill u get weapons like yaz 9, frozen shot, and spead needle.

i think the big deal will be any possible battle mode (PvP) between hunters and rangers. but i guess the hunters can strafe also making then harder to hit them. and i hope that also makes force techs easier to dodge.

SekotheFOmar
Apr 22, 2006, 07:54 PM
There also might be monsters like in ep.4, Yowie I think, that are not affected by range attacks

Jinto117
Apr 23, 2006, 12:25 AM
That would make sense if it did charge. Kinda like in fighting games where you are playiing a tag team match and while you switch characters whoever is out slowly recharges health. I only hope the FPS aspect is solid. Not to bash the Japanese or anything but they aren't to proficient in FPS'S. Dirge of Cerberus is a good example. But when it comes to RPG's the U.S. has their problems to I suppose.