PDA

View Full Version : Character Name Limit?

ChronoTrigga
Apr 21, 2006, 05:02 PM
Is there a limit to what symbols or how long a name is? I'd really like to use my original dreamstation name for my characters when this comes out.

Lux
Apr 21, 2006, 05:06 PM
I think it will most-likely be like PSO:BB, that makes sense to me

OdinTyler
Apr 21, 2006, 06:05 PM
You can't exactly go by the JP version. Non JP characters take up much more space (both visually & memory) so it's hard to exactly gauge it by Japanese.

DamonKatu
Apr 21, 2006, 06:10 PM
Hay, I remember a question like this back then but I cant remember who pulled that qusetion up. Uselly its 16 spaces. I should really come up with a new name for PSU.

OdinTyler
Apr 21, 2006, 06:34 PM
That might be in Japanese. Remember that PSO in English is what, 11 or 12 spaces? My chars names won't be that long, but, it would be nice to know how much space I DO have. If someone can tell me what the max is on Beta, I bet I can figure out how much space the English version will have.

vitius137
Apr 21, 2006, 06:42 PM
Odin=1337 translator

I wont need too many spaces for my name.

OdinTyler
Apr 21, 2006, 07:43 PM
Hardly! LOL I hate that kind of talk so I don't try to use it. My Japanese isn't what it should be. However, when I can help, I offer it. If someone can find out the char max on PSU's beta, I can pretty much guess what type of naming options we'll get.

ChronoTrigga
Apr 21, 2006, 11:13 PM
I just need enough space for ChronoTrigga. Haha!

Blitzkommando
Apr 21, 2006, 11:37 PM
On 2006-04-21 16:05, OdinTyler wrote:
You can't exactly go by the JP version. Non JP characters take up much more space (both visually & memory) so it's hard to exactly gauge it by Japanese.

Actually, Japanese characters take up more memory. A single ASCII character is simply one byte, whereas a single Unicode character (with Japanese being some of the more complex characters) is 1-4 bytes in UTF-8 standard usage, or up to 4x the size per character. So while visually they might take up less, physically they take up more space. That's, I assume, why the character limit was decreased with PSO:BB to 10 instead of 12 to compensate with the additional data even as little as it was. I should note that was the standard for standard Latin characters, Japanese and other complex language characters were even more limited although I cannot recall exactly how much more limited.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Norvekh on 2006-04-21 21:39 ]</font>

Somah
Apr 22, 2006, 12:14 AM
I was wondering, can people have crazy names like... I dunno... xX123ZOMGXx (captials in the middle of the name, numbers, symbols, spaces, etc) or is it like FFXI where you can only use letters, and only the first letter is capitalized?

oh, and sorry if this was already answered ><

Lux
Apr 22, 2006, 03:25 AM
You can do that, Somah. And yeah, Unicode characters take much more physical memory. You have to consider that Japanese uses syllables not characters which also explains name length differences. You write your name in english, they write 2 sentences, would be possible. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif