PDA

View Full Version : PSU Experience- An Article from Beta for Casts/Beasts W/PIX!

AzureBlaze
Apr 23, 2006, 01:46 PM
Before I was able to get on the beta...
I knew what I wanted to see from someone who WAS. Something like this was it. Although preferably without the described troubles! This is a wordy thing, but if you're not on the beta and you're a beast or cast, this could have something relevent for you.

It also has wierd glitches, exposed eye-sockets, what NOT to do, and frusteration.

Glitch Part Skip it if you want character stuff

Jumped through the hoops (dll, lang setting up etc) to get the game going. My computer is an un-opened-case 2003 HP something, which I thought would be good enough, but since I'm not that proficient or interested in PC stats...it's not. The screen would flicker, edges shimmer and a (soon to be posted screen shots of) malfunction occurred.

On charcreate, the ENTIRE area around where the eyebrows are *possible* is translucent. Meaning the interior of EVERY beast/human/newman head is exposed through rectangle holes. Also, the skin around the eyes is MISSSING leaving their literal 'eyeballs' exposed floating in the the sockets, with the colored bits painted on. This renders it 100% impossible to choose eyelash/grasp a concept of a final face.
The game also chugs along at 1 FPS, (think walking on the moon) and that's offline/tutorial area not even any monsters. Text barely loads and every "pan" in the tutorial takes 10mins. If you doubt your PC even a bit: DONT BUY IT FOR PC! Go buy yourself an Xbox or a station or something or you'll get strobing dots, green rectangle snow, twisted double screen and flashing polygon hell.

Charcreate Lowdown!
Figuring it out is half the fun. Meh. Shift, ctrl and alt will let you change things and move sliders. If a slider doesn't look like it'll move hold ALT. Also Space Bar does the voices.

1. Voices-
VERY JP. They may end up doing a dub-eng set, and personally I wouldn't mind. Some of them have words you don't understand and all are accent-laden. Yes you can choose 'quiet-ish' voices if you're not into the whole 'insane giggle/sumo grunting' scene. But...there's no ANDROID sounding voice at all! Nothing even remotely robotic or with a metallic ring to it. I find this dissapointing...yes it means more 'technological sophistication for ficticious tech' but meh I want to sound like a machine! There is also a laugh on the 'men' side that is umm well I can't think of some other word then "utterly gay", and the word is being used in context NOT as a swear/racism.

2. Body Sliders-
There is WAY WAY WAY too much customization for fatness. You can have a billion varieties of lard. You want chunk, cellulite, beer guts (on girls) and over-weight bruisers? You got 'em on all counts. The fat-side of the slider is soooo overly extensive for customizing fat people you'd think that ST has a FattyFetish.

If you had someone built/buff/wide whatever you're gonna call it on PSO be prepped for a dissapointement here. Which is really REALLY dissapointing because I know they can do huge people--just look at the transformed beasts! Where the heck is this buffness for Casts? I don't mean putting on a hoard of boxy RAcast armor either...it's not the same. *You can't make anyone as wide as you could. Former RAmars and HUmars would be 100lbs heavier then the widest guy you can get on here who's not fat.

3. Hairs-
ALL the males and ALL the females share their hair-roster. Even the casts share the human/beast/newman hairs. That means just go watch any ol' charcreate and you've seen all the hairs already.
SUB HAIRS
Ok this is where beast/cast need to look. You can custom the 'ears' on your beast and fleshface casts. The casts get a series of snub-horns and 'blue-tooth wireless earpiece cellphones' for their ears. The girl beasts get more ears then the boys. Both can get 'combed down flop/hidden ears' for if you don't want the stick-out ear. There's also HUGE tall ears but no cat-ear ontop of your head. (I'm paying attention!)

4. Skin sliders/Eyes
Beasts can get some freaky eyes. This will delight many. There's 2 varieties of slit pupils, and one dark outer ring/blank middle eye that's nice n' freaky. Female fleshface cast can also get a nice big blank solid-color eye to turn up the creep factor. There are also huge-pupil druggy eyes which are fun on beast. Cast skin slider varies from bizzare pinkish lavender to blueish white oddity. Nothing spectacularly different but I got a nice dude with blue skin and green hair.

I will edit this and add more ASAP. **EDITED** below

RAmars/RAmarls & Recreation
If you're trying to get someone RAmar-ish or RAmarlish, you can probably forget it. NONE of the things I was able to do give them the same FEEL. If you were a human RA, you -know- there was a feel to your chars--and you liked it. Well not here.
None of the hairs either. There is no 'military cut' or grunger type stuff and taking away the face paint and masks really runs you right out of options. You remember near no one liked the RAmar's hunchback backpack, well no need to fear it here, but you'll get no one similar, either. Sadly, it looks like bringing your PSO RA over may prove impossible to keep their look.

"Bringing Over your Chars"
So where is the good news if you want to re-create your fave guys on PSU? It's with the HUcaseals/RAcaseals. They have an EXACT replica of Elenor's maid head, you can get the butt-skirts on 'em, there's like 5 things worth of mouthless-HUcaseal faces (even a return of the pony-tail!) some sharp pigtails and a masked face/one eye face. You can dupe them easily, same with HUnes and FOnes, you can still build recognizable people--they're just clothed differently with mildly diff hairs.

You run into problems with the guys though, as (before) no big dudes and no "flashy FOnewms" or particularly pretty FOmars. Zero robes either for all you robe-fans or FOmarls who are going for elegance. It's all hippie tunicks, big pants, cowboy boots and stockings. A lot of the clothes don't do the girls justice either, they're cut to make their hips look big/thunder-thighs.

Android Heads!
I know all the androids out there are going mad for head options. I know I was. I feel that the girls got a better shot then the guys. A LOT of the male/robo/faces are really similar/ones no one will pick. They got a samurai moustache/chinbeard one that's rediculous and like WAY too many varients on 'bizzarre panneled faces with rather boring eyes'.
RAcasts may feel particularly jilted, their heads before (ie: long-face with eyespot=ohgun) had much more refinement or elegance to it. Many of the heads seem like "Novelties" or freak-show features. Among them:
-Clear brain-exposed dome glass head with mini-fin!
-FemCast head that's LITERALLY 3ft across and flat like an anvil! (WTHWTHWTH)
-Immense bazooka shaped head with horse-bit chin bar for the guys. (imagine how popular you'll be with a 4ft head that looks like an airplane engine!)
-Floating Balls with jet-engine undersides for the ladies (I always wanted MY noggin to look like a planet with orbiting moons!)

As for HUcasts with the original (kireek) face they tried to redo it for you, but I am of the opinion that it flops. A lot of 'bulbous forehead' is going on, or unneccisary goofball fins. RAcasts...they didn't make an attempt. I don't know how the gals got it as good as they did for re-creation, but they win hands down.

What about Humans/Newmans/Beasts?
They got the SEVERE AXE on 'personality faces'. Remember the scarred RAmarls/HUmars? No. Makeup for the ladies? No. Eyepatch? No. You can adjust it (meany-brows etc) but...that's about it. Where did all the options go? Into fabulous facial hair! Do you love the folicles of your face? Moustaches, beards, gotees, whatever shape you can carve hair into, they seem to have it. But WHY!! No one ever used the hairy faces before and now they put 20 more of them! It's like the balding oldguy option! NO ONE WANTS FAT ANCIENT NERDS! (with neckbeards)

NPCS-
They seem to be unique. You can't get LOU's hair, and their outfits are pretty much their own. There won't be any NOL equivelents in PSU.

Surprises!
Who wants a surprise? I do. As was mentioned earlier you can buy new clothes, so MAYbe robes are an option. And if humans can buy clothes, perhaps androids can buy more armor too, colors, or even diff heads. Android color selection is limeted to about 8, with a slider for your accents...seems slim. You may also be able to buy makeup or tatoos/markings for yourself (its plausible).

Edited again:
http://www.phantasystardynasty.com/PSUShots/ScreensTestsPage.html
this is the page for photos, more will be added as soon as I can get back to the beta.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AzureBlaze on 2006-04-23 15:37 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AzureBlaze on 2006-04-24 20:36 ]</font>

voxie
Apr 23, 2006, 02:49 PM
Nice analysis there http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

So you can buff up the beasts but not the casts? Hmm, I think this makes sense, as Casts are androids, where as Beasts are flesh and blood and can eat loads of protein fat meats? lol

Ennie
Apr 23, 2006, 03:03 PM
I really like making fat characters, as weird as this may sound. I'm glad the "fatness" is more customizable. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

vitius137
Apr 23, 2006, 03:05 PM
although too much fat is never good @_@

Ennie
Apr 23, 2006, 03:09 PM
Makes a reeeeeeaally fat HUmar and goes sumoing on monsters. MWAHAHAHAH!!

Other players: o_O'''''

AzureBlaze
Apr 23, 2006, 05:44 PM
*Voxie
You can only buff a beast if you get it to transform into the beastly state. No one rises above 'pretty fit' on the natural available slider. Not even a regular beast. Pretty much all males have the same 'wide' limit, making them all quite similar. No one can have an 'outrageous' build over anyone else. Similarly, everyone can be made uber-tiny on the same scale as eachother.

It is frusterating because we KNOW that ST can make big people and maybe even scale them, due to the transformed beasts. They could of given better 'wide' options to the base char models instead of 70 varieties of fat people customizing how your gut rolls go.

mechatra
Apr 23, 2006, 05:50 PM
But isn't the whole point of beasts using their Nanoblasts to make them even more physically capeable than they already are?

It just wouldn't be right if any character could be buffed up and made huge looking like a beasts "ultimate ability" now would it?

Getintothegame
Apr 23, 2006, 05:54 PM
Aw, no robo voice?

That's kind of a let down. Good article, I'll try and add it to our article section and get that going up again.

Nisshoku
Apr 23, 2006, 06:19 PM
I need to see all the different armor variations of the male Casts...I'm trying to get some of these for my first big Fanworks project...

vitius137
Apr 23, 2006, 06:28 PM
3 foot wide anvil head? @_@

ShinMaruku
Apr 23, 2006, 06:39 PM
My statement bout the Japanese stands.

Kupi
Apr 23, 2006, 07:10 PM
On 2006-04-23 16:39, ShinMaruku wrote:

That statement being...?

On another note, I'm not too worried about the lack of robes just yet. I've heard that you can buy new outfit pieces, so I'm sure there'll be some robes in there somewhere.

Eihwaz
Apr 23, 2006, 07:37 PM
Haha, the idea of having so much more customizable body weights amuses me. Now I can make freakishly obese lobby spam characters! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Seriously, though, good article.

VR-Raiden
Apr 23, 2006, 07:50 PM
Well, I have to admit, after reading this I'm a little disappointed.
I'll be happy if i can get my HUcast's horn though...I think I remember seeing a head like it in an old character creation vid.

Uncle_bob
Apr 23, 2006, 08:32 PM
3-foot wide head? Like the one in PSO? *fapfapfap*

Can you get a picture of it, please? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

OdinTyler
Apr 23, 2006, 08:42 PM
Is everyone SERIOUSLY going to make a bunch of fat ppl? I never heard of so many wanting to do this. Anyone going to make a somewhat normally proportioned person? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Jokes aside, I hope someone decides to create videos for each race so we can see what it has to offer. Not just 1 person making THEIR char.

ShinMaruku
Apr 23, 2006, 08:43 PM
On 2006-04-23 17:10, Kupi wrote:

On 2006-04-23 16:39, ShinMaruku wrote:

That statement being...?

Japanese people are batshit crazy.

vitius137
Apr 23, 2006, 08:48 PM
they may be crazy but they did make PSU..... then again PSU char creation is supporting your statement... im so confused @_@

DizzyDi
Apr 23, 2006, 08:54 PM
On 2006-04-23 18:43, ShinMaruku wrote:

Agreed.

On topic though.
I'm not so dissapointed with the info in the article.
I've seen some cool looking characters with all races, and I'm sure ST will add more anyways, so...wuteva.

vitius137
Apr 23, 2006, 08:56 PM
On 2006-04-23 18:54, DizzyDi wrote:

On 2006-04-23 18:43, ShinMaruku wrote:

Agreed.

On topic though.
I'm not so dissapointed with the info in the article.
I've seen some cool looking characters with all races, and I'm sure ST will add more anyways, so...wuteva.

you can never be sure of what ST is gonna do...

AzureBlaze
Apr 23, 2006, 11:02 PM
*Vitius-
It is true that you can't know what ST will do. That's what the "Surprises" section asked...and I can only hope along with you that they've got some good ones in store as their current lineups while extensive on color, seem a bit un-inspired design wise.

As for the transformed beasts vs. regular big people:
No, it wouldn't make sense to be able to do a guy as large as a transformed beast in its normal state. *However* the catch is that it seems:
- transformed beast = Incredible Hulk
-Regular big cast/guy/w/e = Arnold swarzenegger-type
While Arnold is big, he's nothing compared to the Hulk. So there'd be no clashing or pointlessness involved at all. Transformed beast is true giantness on purpose that no charcreate *should* compare to. You've got nothing to worry about.

However, what I've seen so far in the tiral is the best you can get is like maybe 'olympic gymnast without the definition on him'. While it's over your average joe, it's not even approaching Arnold levels, which I know a lot of people loved on PSO. I just wanted to settle the sizes so that if anyone bugs ST about it, they know what to bug and that it's not a contradiction or a clashing issue with transformed beast.

I know that everyone needs individual videos of the chars, and I agree. However, I can't provide 'em. My own game barely runs and I don't have the software. Plus no one would enjoy the faces full of holes. So instead I did a huge post. I will likely be able to give you the screencaps you want soon though, I'll post a link to it in here once it clears.

vitius137
Apr 23, 2006, 11:10 PM
from what iv seen so far (beta players characters) the char creation system seems alright and i at least hope i can make a decent character.

ANIMEniac
Apr 24, 2006, 01:43 AM
... will i hope they tweek it more. i wanna give my my female newman i nice 4pack or something, and i would like my human male to be 2 notches under bruce lee riped.

mechatra
Apr 24, 2006, 04:49 AM
Lets not forget the number of costumes and selections has been reduced in the Beta. The ST vids show a heck of alot more options in those areas than we've seen on the beta vids.

Dhylec
Apr 24, 2006, 08:05 AM
With all the 'issues' of character creation mentioned here, it would help greatly if there are screen captures of them. This is PSU, not many are able to experience such situations, so a little visual aid would demonstrate this nicely. ;]

AzureBlaze
Apr 24, 2006, 10:33 PM
*Mechatra
How do you know they are reduced? Is there concrete proof somewhere to show that they didn't just decide to strip the whole game down? It makes sense that the beta would have less, and I did indeed think the clothing choices were a bit 'blah'. If they DID strip it down for the beta and the real release will be better then: RIGHTEOUS.

Can anyone point to NON-NPC stuff that does not exist in the beta? Like someone's test-char at a game show or something like that. I neeeed to know this isn't our only option!

I havn't found anything so far that I've really been "WHOA I gotta be this!" to.

I have all my pix so far at http://www.phantasystardynasty.com/PSUShots/ScreensTestsPage.html

They are all reasonably sized so the whole page loads with them and you don't have 1at-a-time guess n' load. They're cropped n' captioned with mini-descriptions for the bits you can't see or why stuff is like that. I'll do more as soon as I get back onto the beta, prob tues night. I'll also link it over on the scrnshots thread because it kinda belongs there, but it really goes here too to support the article.

If anyone wants to see something else or hear it talked about, I'll do it also. It doesn't look like actually "playing the game" will be much an option for me because the PC is so poor for it...as you saw. But I sure as heck will try!

vitius137
Apr 24, 2006, 10:45 PM
wow, not as bad as you described but still look rediculous

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Apr 24, 2006, 10:58 PM
woah... that eye thing is weird.... is it like that for you ingame too?

I just wanna edit all those screenshots to fix that eye glitch...

I dunno, I thought the majority of the heads shown are very creative and cool! I'm especially pleased with the caseal selection.... And whats with that giant shoulder pad the one caseal has? Does that count under the armor customize section? Is there more stuff like it?

_Tek_
Apr 24, 2006, 10:58 PM
How skinny can you make someone? I want to see a comparison of the extremes. (like selecting the corners on proportion, top left, etc)
But as you said, the most extreme for muscles isnt that steroid induced looking, so they difference by comparison might not be too huge.

uhh what else...

Perhaps the casts heads might not look so huge when built with all other HUGE blocks that go on the arms and legs.

and ummmm...

I guess this time in PSU they were trying to make the characters clothing more sporty, more like athletic teens, unlike last time in PSO when we had robotic space suits and elegant formal gowns.

peenk
Apr 24, 2006, 11:00 PM
AzureBlaze,
Please post your PC's cpu/speed, OS you running, how much Ram you have, Vid card you using and what drivers.
I dont like the part where you said that the game is 'chuging' at 1 fps :/
Of all the video problems that one is my most hated one.

REJ-
Apr 24, 2006, 11:09 PM
That's why I'm gonna get it for the 360, I won't have to make any adjustments to my PC

Ffuzzy-Logik
Apr 24, 2006, 11:10 PM
On 2006-04-24 21:09, REJ- wrote:
That's why I'm gonna get it for the 360, I won't have to make any adjustments to my PC

Yeah, but you'll miss out on 95% of the community... >_>

_Tek_
Apr 24, 2006, 11:12 PM
I kind of like the football jet engine head.

it reminds me of MDK for DC.

And I feel I've seen it somwhere else.

AzureBlaze
Apr 24, 2006, 11:34 PM
Ok, I've got a mission now.
Skinny Guy/Short Guy/ and get a RAcast that's all blocked out then throw the head on it. (I'll do a few, UncleBob said it needs more RAcasts and I agree! I will mix n' match ASAP. (ETA is like tues/wed)

My problem with this is that there's nothing to compare the guy to, unless you go all the way thru the 2hr tutorial and stand him near something. The final pic "ProtoJet" (the blue guy at bottom of page) is probably around 7ft tall but you would NEVER know it. He TOTALLY does not look like he's as big as he is.

Don't get scared people! The tutorial really isn't 2hrs long, it just takes that long for me because it runs so slow. Also you can't read it so there's no way to know what option to choose and you end up making mistakes and having LOU talk to you more or repeat or go the wrong way and not release you. Also you can't quit your game during the tutorial so I had to CTRL ALT DEL the game...

*Crayons
Yes it is like that ingame. The only ones that don't glitch are the cast non-flesh faces.
The caseals section is OUTRAGEOUSLY better then the males. I'll do more shots and you'll see the guys get the raw deal
The jumbo-shoulder is under the "Arm Options" for females. There are only 3 options. Some more RAcaseal (remember those guards that were rectangle) and some HUcasealish. No, there is nothing else that outstanding that I've been able to make. It looks like a fluke.

*Peenk
I am not super at PC specs, but here you go:
The OS is Windows XP with serv pak 2 on it
I have 512 of ram
The video card is PROSavage3DDR
This is everything that came with it. It opened the box and then left it be. The drivers for it are like 2004 but they didnt make anymore recent ones so that's it. I'm sure if you actually put a good PC (this one is from I think 2003 it is a HP, otherwise it works fine, I wasn't aware it was as 'unworthy' as it is...yikes!) Is there anything else?

_Tek_
Apr 24, 2006, 11:41 PM
well for comparison, you could just take 2 screenshots in CC, each with differencet size/proportion settings, as long as each time its at the same zoom.

Eihwaz
Apr 25, 2006, 12:09 AM
You should get someone to post about these graphical glitches on the Japanese BBS. I'd want things like this fixed for sure for the final release. >_>;

ASCII
Apr 25, 2006, 01:40 AM
I hate to say it but isnt all this against NDA?

_Tek_
Apr 25, 2006, 01:48 AM
Well if we know of someone who can speak japanese it shouldn't hurt.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _Tek_ on 2006-04-24 23:49 ]</font>

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 25, 2006, 03:06 AM
Actually was in the dressing room earlier, you can remove the cast shell and such.

mechatra
Apr 25, 2006, 03:52 AM
Hey Azure. I'm getting the feeling that they may have taken out at least one or two little things from the character creation. Particularly clothing.

On ST's "Network of" video, there's clips showing costume options for a male human.

Maybe try watching that video then you can see if they've left out all that much or not?
Hope that maybe helps?

_Tek_
Apr 25, 2006, 03:56 AM
I remember that video. I also remember them scrolling through the 50, and several of witch were identical jackets but of different color schemes.

I don't have the beta so I can only ask questions and speculate.

DarK-SuN
Apr 25, 2006, 10:03 AM
Those glitches are related with your graphics card.
Nisshoku has them as well (his are actually worse than that), yet, I don't (and many others don't).

About fatness:
It's not more fatness options, the proportion "square" is split in four quadrants.
The horizontal movement (left and right halves of the square) control thin/fat, the vertical movement (top and bottom halves of the square) control muscle mass (full buff and no buff).
That's why it gives the illusion you have a lot of "fat" customisation, because unlike in PSO, you have a whole half of the square devoted ONLY to "fat", while in PSO you had 1/3 of the square devoted to it.
Height in PSU is controlled by a seperate slider and not by the square itself, thus why it takes one half of the proportion square instead of just 1/3 of it like in PSO.

Also, about being tough to make RAcasts.
Depends, if you want to do buffed up, tank like, RAcasts, then no, you can't do them.
If you prefer to do them along Gundam/Transformer proportions, then you can.
Since my RAcast was within these "realistic" proportions I could replicate them very accurately in PSU, he's roughly 85% PSO accurate, with a few very tiny exceptions.

So, yes, PSU's proportions are within a more realistic limit than those of PSO, thus not letting you accurately make tank sized (wideness wise) RAcasts.

Chest area pieces, legs and so on to make RAcast like Casts are also available right off the bat.
Legs wise: one for " agile RAcast" style legs, 1 for HUcast style legs and another for "RAcast tank" style legs.
Chest wise: one HUcast style (somewhat similar to an Evangelion's chest), one RAcast style (similar to Temjin's and Apharmd's chest, which in turn is similar to the PSO RAcast chest with minimum wideness) and another which is even thinner than the usual HUcast armor.

Cast helmet wise, you have the NPC Gilian helmet (with some variations, but still a helmet with a visor covering the Cast's optics), the "hammer head" helmet, the "brain in a bucket" helmet, a samurai like head (based on another PSO had, with some alterations) and some other heads I'm not remembering right now.
Also, remember, PSU Cast heads are not just a helmet and that's it; you also choose the head without a helmet, which can change the ending result of the head completly.

I'll be making a video of character creation soon, it'll enlighten everyone about the options.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarK-SuN on 2006-04-25 08:24 ]</font>

Dhylec
Apr 25, 2006, 10:26 AM
Well, that's a good reply DarK-SuN. I guess, certain graphical issues are machine/card specific.
Hm.. half of a square to control body volume, no wonder there is so much 'fat'. ;D

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Apr 25, 2006, 10:36 AM
Great, I can't wait to finally see a video!

Anyway... I think cast creation looks pretty damn cool... Not only can you make casts that look similar to the old HUcast/RAcast models, but you can also make the new "Humanoid" style cast. Or you can mix and match.... racast tank legs... but with a human face.... Man would that look weird O_o

Props08
Apr 25, 2006, 10:42 AM
GEN!!! What's up man, it's Virus! I haven't used my account here in years (just started coming to the site again for PSU info) but when I saw your post I had to say whats up. What's your AIM?

RoninJoku
Apr 25, 2006, 10:46 AM
PM's FTW! ^

Huzzah! Thanks DarK-SuN! The prospect of enlightenment has me very excited! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif