PDA

View Full Version : will the 360 version

Evan101
Apr 25, 2006, 06:53 AM
Have better graphics than the ps2 version?

and do you think it's online community will be as large as ps2's?

shinobu_seta
Apr 25, 2006, 07:18 AM
The PS2 will probably have the poorest port graphics wise. If you've ever moved cross platform with FF11, that should be evidence enough.

PS2 and the PC versions servers are going to be linked together. With more people having access to PC's and PS2, I'd imagine that the 360's community will probably be the smallest.

RoninJoku
Apr 25, 2006, 09:22 AM
I would imagine the graphics would be just about the same as if you played on the highest settings on the PC...

And no... Based on PSOX vs. PSOGC, the 360 servers will be significantly smaller... Especially in Japan (Which doesn't even matter until we find out if the servers will be linked internationally or not)...

YOnyx360
Apr 25, 2006, 09:44 AM
I hope so because i will be on the 360

Skorpius
Apr 25, 2006, 09:47 AM
On 2006-04-25 05:18, shinobu_seta wrote:
The PS2 will probably have the poorest port graphics wise. If you've ever moved cross platform with FF11, that should be evidence enough.

I, personally, have never seen this. But, judging from the fact that people still honestly believe that PSOBB has "better graphics" than PSOGC, I think PS2 FFXI's problem is just resolution and composite display (which are display quality problems, not graphics).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Skorpius on 2006-04-25 07:47 ]</font>

Parn
Apr 25, 2006, 10:04 AM
FFXI PC's textures are designed with 1024x768 desktop resolution in mind. They're clearly better than what's on PlayStation 2, as the textures are at 1024x1024 resolution instead of 512x512. Additionally, the PS2 version has vastly inferior draw distance. So in that case, there really is a graphical difference.

As far as PSOGC versus PSOBB, it's mix and match. One major issue with PSOBB was the water in Seaside and the Jungle areas. It looks like crap on PC. But otherwise, the games are practically identical as far as the graphics go... same resolution for textures. The faces on characters are blurry as hell no matter what resolution you're running on PC.

With Phantasy Star Universe, it's evident that the textures are designed with the PlayStation 2 in mind. I think it's akin to what was done with PSOBB... you can have a higher resolution on PC, and anti-aliasing/anisotropic filtering can improve your visuals a bit, but for all intents and purposes, the graphics look like they'll be for the most part, the same.

qoxolg
Apr 25, 2006, 11:17 AM
I don't think that the PS2 would be capable to store textures that are 512x512 with its poor low Vram.. 1024x1024 is veeeery huge for a texture (doom3 uses 512 on its highest detail, only a few higher ones).

I am hoping the 360 version will look alot better, I mean, just face it.. sega can't programm for PC's. I know that they have to make it work on all PC hardware.. but stil 300Mhz vs 1,6Ghz is an insane difference.

I hope they will make full use of physics in the 360 version of the game, cause they won't be playing with the other systems. Some realistic ragdoll physics would be cool ^.^

kassy
Apr 25, 2006, 11:44 AM
If Sega any thing about porting they'll have the 360 version running off the PC version's max settings, haven't played the PSU btrial so I can't tell you what the gfx settings options are, but the 360 can easily handle whatever the PC’s max tweaks might be, so it's down to Sega on how they port it I guess.

The main factor which will vastly "improve" the graphics on the 360 version over the ps2 version is the resolution. All 360 games according to Microsoft must be HD 720p compatible (if I'm not mistaken), which means the 360 version will run in 1280x720.

PC will still have the 360 version beat though if you have a nice enough monitor and gpu to run it smoothly at 1600x1200, which is what I plan to be running it at :3

qoxolg
Apr 25, 2006, 12:05 PM
at the moment the 360 beats most PC's right now, don't forget it's alot easier to program for a console than for a PC. just like doom3 running on a Xbox: my PC's hardware is better then the Xbox, but I can't run doom3 on even the lowest settings and the Xbox can on whatever (dunno) settings http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Don't forget that the 360 is capable of physics, and a physics card is just as expensive as a complete 360, so.. already made my choice.

peenk
Apr 25, 2006, 01:04 PM
plz dont talk about doom3, Ill try not to start a flame war but...
Doom3 is retarted both graphics wise and how it hogs PC. Try and compare HalfLife2. I can run HL2 on highest settings (all filters to max) on my 17" monitor and it looks way better than on xbox w/ my plasma HD TV. Doom3 I can BARELY run at 'high' graphics settings using the same hardware. Hell, I can even run F.E.A.R. w/ ease on high settings but Doom3 is just programed that way.

What I think, is that SEGA is going to make PC and 360 PSU about the same, except that PC will evolve and 360 will still be 360 a year or two or three from now on. To quote one wise guy from I-forgot-what-forums is "360 is a poor man's PC."

To conclude my rambling let me just say that I personally DONT give a damn what graphics will look like. I will only be happier if graphics look like back on DC but the CONTENT of the game better be improoved. PSII and IV are still superior RPGs to anything comming out today no matter how much 'superior visual effects' they try and squize into a game.

Evan101
Apr 25, 2006, 03:29 PM
if the pc will have better graphics than 360, oh smart one, then how will the ps2 be able to be online with the pc? they can't show differen't graphic images. therefore pc will have to have the same graphics as ps2. online anyways.

scott1114
Apr 25, 2006, 03:52 PM
duh? what do you mean? do you think everyone who plays guild wars for example all play on same resolution and all? no

Nuclearranger
Apr 25, 2006, 04:12 PM
The only thing that the internet means is that the games need to be the same version and they need to be running things in real time so the PS2 version could go mushroom kinddom style and be at 2 bit and they could still get it to work together./ ok i might have gone just alittle to far....

qoxolg
Apr 25, 2006, 05:22 PM
Peenk.. you don't get what I am saying.. your half life 2 looks better on your PC.. duh.. your PC is FASTER!! that was what I was talking about.. you'll never run doom 3 as good on an 733Mhz PC with a Geforce 3.. haha! same goes for half life 2! half life 2 is better programmed?? I've played half life 2 on my good old 1Ghz atlhon, 512MB ram and a Geforce 4 ti.. and hell.. it runs BAD! even on the lowest settings..

What I am saying is that PC games will never use the hardware as efficient as a console.

I do agree with you that graphics don't make games great. I even bought a sega saturn to play those good old games.

About different "graphics".. of course it can change things! the 360 is ALOT faster, so more monsters and stuff would be possible. Also realistic physics would change the way you fall to the ground when hit.. etc etc. Grahpics can't change gameplay but good physics can.

Tomeeboy
Apr 25, 2006, 10:28 PM
The game will only look as good as your hardware allows it to look on a PC, so it may or may not look better on PC. Resolution will definitely make a HUGE difference, as will anti-aliasing. I would have to agree that the PS2 version will have the largest graphics disadvantage due to it's limited resolution. However, even with this disadvantage, it could still very well look and perform better than the PC version if the player does not have a decent gaming computer. Using component cables with the PS2 will increase graphics quality a noticeable amount as well, in most cases, but this still won't do anything about the resolution.

qoxolg
Apr 26, 2006, 04:15 AM
But still, you don't wanna play PS2 games in high res cause than you can see the blurry 128x128 and 256x256 textures. a nice SCART cable already gives alot more screen quality than crappy composite cables ( at least on the dreamcast)