PDA

View Full Version : Things to complain about at E3

VR_Pilot
Apr 25, 2006, 02:56 PM
This topic is to discuss issues regarding PSU that may affect the game's success. E3 is a good place to talk to SEGA personally and express your concerns.

1. Seperate Servers
Bad move. Period. First of all, PSU will have to compete with FFXI. Wether the we hate the game or love it is irrelevant. FFXI is going to sell because of the FF label. The fact the the Xbox360 servers can play with the PS2/PC ones is a major boost to the community. We all know how well ST supported PSOX, and you can be sure the same will happen with PSU. And since the Xbox360 is still bombing in JP, SEGA needs as many happy users as possible.

2.Dual Language Option.
This is a more personal preference issue, but it could end up affecting the game in a big way. Again, wether we prefer subbed or dubbed is irrelevant, the main concern is that people be given the option to choose either. Going with one or the other is only going to limit the number of people who will buy PSU, on any platform. The last thing we need is a PSU review where the only thing keeping it from getting a perfect score is bad voice acting. Those who have played games like Virtual-On MARZ and Kunoichi (Nightshade) will know that SEGA is known for using just about anyone they can find off the street to do voice work. SEGA needs to step up to the level of good localizations done by the likes of Nippon Ichi or ATLUS, whose games often feature a Dual Language Option. Besides, it's not like they don't have enough space...

Comments?

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2006, 03:02 PM
You want to know somthing even more crokked about the VA thing, the voices are on the disk, jsut they make data so it's unreadble...

Axios-
Apr 25, 2006, 03:04 PM
On 2006-04-25 12:56, VR_Pilot wrote:

This topic is to discuss issues regarding PSU that may affect the game's success. E3 is a good place to talk to SEGA personally and express your concerns.

1. Seperate Servers
Bad move. Period. First of all, PSU will have to compete with FFXI. Wether the we hate the game or love it is irrelevant. FFXI is going to sell because of the FF label. The fact the the Xbox360 servers can play with the PS2/PC ones is a major boost to the community. We all know how well ST supported PSOX, and you can be sure the same will happen with PSU. And since the Xbox360 is still bombing in JP, SEGA needs as many happy users as possible.

2.Dual Language Option.
This is a more personal preference issue, but it could end up affecting the game in a big way. Again, wether we prefer subbed or dubbed is irrelevant, the main concern is that people be given the option to choose either. Going with one or the other is only going to limit the number of people who will buy PSU, on any platform. The last thing we need is a PSU review where the only thing keeping it from getting a perfect score is bad voice acting. Those who have played games like Virtual-On MARZ and Kunoichi (Nightshade) will know that SEGA is known for using just about anyone they can find off the street to do voice work. SEGA needs to step up to the level of good localizations done by the likes of Nippon Ichi or ATLUS, whose games often feature a Dual Language Option. Besides, it's not like they don't have enough space...

Comments?

1. I agree that the separate servers part isn't the best thing. I'm not going to get into much detail since there's a topic for this, but with the small community of 360 owners and the even smaller community of Japanese 360 owners, I just don't think that it'll be selling enough to fill up the servers at a competitive level. However, I don't have a 360 so I don't think it affects me much. I believe that the PC PSU will provide enough users to boast a solid population. Add in the large PS2 faction and we're set.

2. I don't think that the language options will be terribly significant. It's important yes, but I don't think it'll affect sales much. Most of the people I talk to are interested in PSU for the online game first and the offline game second. Seeing as how the voice acting/subbing will play a much larger role offline, it shouldn't be anything that you should be sweating.

But remember, right now all we have is basically some info from the beta (which may change) so as of now, there just isn't a whole lot to complain about.

Yet. >_>

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2006, 03:14 PM
like 40% of the people who buy the game do so for Offline. Them numbers don't lie. They'd best. some good considreation for how the voices go.
As for me, PS3 BC and Region free makes my day. XD

voxie
Apr 25, 2006, 03:48 PM
Apparently there will be a pre-E3 talk from Nintendo on 9th May (not long to go!) so fingers crossed.

I wish for linked servers, dual languages and exploitless data. Of course, that's having your cake and eating it!

Evan101
Apr 25, 2006, 03:50 PM
is this already confirmed by st that the servers are seperate. like 100% sure?

Axios-
Apr 25, 2006, 03:53 PM
On 2006-04-25 13:48, voxie wrote:
Apparently there will be a pre-E3 talk from Nintendo on 9th May (not long to go!) so fingers crossed.

I wish for linked servers, dual languages and exploitless data. Of course, that's having your cake and eating it!

I'd be so giddy if there were a plan for a Revolution launch. Of course there would be server issues there too, but man I'd love too see it. Although, it would be odd for a PSU port to have Rev's controller functionality so this would be a game that I'd accept the traditional controller for.

On a side note, I've never understood the phrase 'having your cake and eating it too.' I know what it means, but who the hell has cake and doesn't eat it?

VR_Pilot
Apr 25, 2006, 04:37 PM
On 2006-04-25 13:04, Axios- wrote:
1. I agree that the separate servers part isn't the best thing. I'm not going to get into much detail since there's a topic for this, but with the small community of 360 owners and the even smaller community of Japanese 360 owners, I just don't think that it'll be selling enough to fill up the servers at a competitive level.

And that's exactly why all the servers should be connected. I'm almost positive that Micro$oft wants to make PSU on the Xbox360 "unique", so that gamers will choose their version over PS2 and PC, which isn't going to happen. And this is coming from an Xbox360 owner.

2. I don't think that the language options will be terribly significant. It's important yes, but I don't think it'll affect sales much. Most of the people I talk to are interested in PSU for the online game first and the offline game second. Seeing as how the voice acting/subbing will play a much larger role offline, it shouldn't be anything that you should be sweating.

Well, personally I'm 50/50. I'm not just a PSO fan, I'm a fan of the original Phantasy Stars as well. If PSU has a Dual Language Option, it will be the first PS game to be available in the US with JP voices. And since the SEGA Ages Phantasy Stars never made it over here, it's a preety big deal for old school PS fans.

But remember, right now all we have is basically some info from the beta (which may change)

Exactly. My goal for this thread is to get people who are going to E3, and even those that aren't going, to let their voices be heard by SEGA. It's true that everything is speculation at this point, I mean, we don't have a release date yet, but if we express our opinions early enough, there might be a chance that they will be adressed.

Nubaa
Apr 25, 2006, 05:15 PM
Unless you have friends with only 360's, or you only have a 360, I don't understand the problem. Why would you wanna listen to the random douchebags that will inevitably exist on voice chat?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Nubaa on 2006-04-25 15:17 ]</font>

Sessilu
Apr 25, 2006, 05:52 PM
Hmm, don't forget, even though most of the world is connected online, OFFLINE needs online connection also, wich i think i read at PsoW.

And well, the voice acting..uh.. i hope they make it good, and if Sega really wants to bet, they will let the japanese voices to turn off and on, with an English option, i mean PSU is BIG, REALLY BIG, in my oppinion, could possibly abolish World of Warcraft, and FFXI, but that's a doubt... So i don't think Sega will screw up around with Psu, it's just that damn big.

therealAERO
Apr 25, 2006, 06:35 PM
Putting dual language will make the disc a whole lot bigger

Sessilu
Apr 25, 2006, 06:37 PM
Yeah, but i heard it will be something like, Dual Layer, something called like that.

vitius137
Apr 25, 2006, 07:01 PM
i really want the Japanese voices. It sounds more... right. and also I want to improve my Japanese a tad (aka learn a few new words) I know I'll never get there just by watching anime and listening to Japanese games but it's a start.

Their voices just sound so awesome ^_^

Skorpius
Apr 25, 2006, 07:28 PM
Those seem like really petty things to focus on, given that the game isn't even released yet.

Axios-
Apr 25, 2006, 07:38 PM
Exactly. My goal for this thread is to get people who are going to E3, and even those that aren't going, to let their voices be heard by SEGA. It's true that everything is speculation at this point, I mean, we don't have a release date yet, but if we express our opinions early enough, there might be a chance that they will be adressed.

Well, while it's always good to post your thoughts, the amount of influence that this or anything could have over SEGA. As for the E3 part, since it's not open to the public, attendees are very limited. If anyone here is actually going, they had definitely post as much as possible about it. >_>

On another note, Sega has stated that it is attempting to be a more western company. While their focus is still Japan, they are shifting, and that may *eventually* allow people like us influence things more.

PSU is definitely huge for Sega right now and will be major at E3. Sega will most likely be focusing mostly on PSU and I'm guessing Revolution. Nintendo and Sega are becoming closer and closer and some interesting developments should come out of this. (Looks at NiGHTS sequel) Whether that will have any bearing on PSU has yet to be seen. Either way, expect big PSU news (quite possible concerning the 360) to arrive at E3.

Also, is anyone here going? I'm still hoping to win a contest. T_T

shinobu_seta
Apr 25, 2006, 07:55 PM
On 2006-04-25 13:14, ShinMaruku wrote:
like 40% of the people who buy the game do so for Offline. Them numbers don't lie. They'd best. some good considreation for how the voices go.
As for me, PS3 BC and Region free makes my day. XD

I think these numbers primarily feed from the Gamecube version, which probably wasn't the best information to warrant a full offline adventure.

Even when the Gamecube first premiered, it was pretty hard to find the modem/broadband adaptor for it. Also it wasn't the most friendly interface for getting the thing online. In addition, PSO being the only online game for Gamecube, I'd imagine that a lot of people didn't want to invest in it.

I really enjoyed playing GC PSO online, I probably have the most hours logged on it out of all versions, but you have to admit it was pretty inconvenient to set up.

At first I didn't like the idea of PSU being on PS2, but because of this, I'll wager that this will probably be the largest online community game phantasy star has ever had. Slim PS2's are available, plus shelves in most places are over flowing with broad band adaptors for the fat ones. It'd be too hard this time around not to take it online.

My point being that I don't think many people will care that much about the offline version. The majority this time will play through it enough to see the ending and that'll be it.

Yeah the seperate 360 servers really sucks and I hope they change their mind. It's probably sega's fault though. I'd imagine that if Microsoft provided the servers, then things would have to be seperate, but if Sega did, then they could do what they want, i.e. put the communities together.

ShadowTH1000
Apr 25, 2006, 08:21 PM
I like that second idea, I really wish they keep the Japanese voices in the game, this is probably is the deciding factor for me getting the game (well, I'm probably going to get it for the Online http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif). I really hate it when English VAs ruin games... I'm looking at you Fire Emblem: Path of Radience, but seening how the last 3 sonic games don't have a Japanese option, I don't think they are going to keep the Japanese VAs (I'm just guessing).

I really don't think PSU has the power to kill WoW or FFXI, seeing how these two are the kings of the MMORPG market, I really doubt they are going to take a large chunck of their user base

Axios-
Apr 25, 2006, 08:40 PM
PSO and it looks like PSU as well are very different games when compared to WoW or FFXI. Whether that's good or bad, I've met quite a few people who love that style and can't seem to grasp the play style of PSO and thus probably PSU too. That, along with other obvious reasons are why I don't expect PSU to deal any major blows to either game.

ShinMaruku
Apr 25, 2006, 08:45 PM
At E3 they'd better make me smile if they do what they outa do.

Sev
Apr 25, 2006, 11:58 PM
Same as always.

PSU is PSU and whether or not it can compete with FFXI or WoW isn't really the issue. It's like Axios- said. Theay aren't even the same type of game to start with. The fact that they're online, and you play with others... Is really about where the comparissons end. As far as gameplay they aren't the same, and people who are into MMO's like WoW and FFXI might not even consider PSU simply because of the play style.

There's also the bad tastes left in peoples mouths by experiences from previous PSO's. I don't really wanna get into that though, because I'm gonna enjoy myself and that's that.

As for a Dual Language release, that would be nice. I can say that I don't really mind the voices in Shining Force Neo. Seems to fit each character just about right and it flows pretty smooth. If they just compare actors they can match up voices that match with characters. That's not really what I'm worried about though. I'm sure there's an option to turn of voices if it's THAT bad. You would think so right?

Oh and to add in... Why would Sega willingly seperate Xbox from the other systems? Especially knowing that they could possibly sell more copies if the servers were all linked together. That wouldn't make sense. I'd place the blame on Microsoft before anyone else.

Nai_Calus
Apr 26, 2006, 05:11 AM
As far as me actually being excited about PSU goes, I'm really much more interested in the offline story than the online. Much of PSO's appeal to me comes from the loose network of backstory in the game - There's a story here, yes, and it's you that's putting things together and finding out stuff and saving the world. Not Generic Angsty Teen #29,001, no, you. I love the openness of PSO's storyline. PSU, though, has a full pre-established cast and there isn't going to be quite the same sense to it. (I think I understand better why I hate Endu's ending so much in Ep3 now, heh, putting it in those terms)

So since that aspect of it is taken out and the gameplay at the end of the day is rather likely to end up every bit as repetitive as PSO's after a couple thousand hours... Eh. I'm slightly more interested in Ethan and company, and whether they and their stories will live up to my personal ideals of a good RPG.

Which means I'm gunning for dual language. I'm not a big fan of voices in RPGS(Or 3D. Bring on the sprites!), but from the video game dubbing I've had the misfortune to listen to, I'd at least like to not lose my eardrums. XD (Then again, Ethan's voice can't possibly get more annoying.)

(And I dunno, as a fan of classic PS as well as PSO, I've got to say I'm rather more excited about getting a copy of the PS Compendium than I am about PSU's release. XD;;; That and my eternal, undying hope that someday they'll actually finish and release PSG3 and then release the trilogy of remakes over here...)

But yes. Please, dual language option. XD

Keiry
Apr 26, 2006, 05:34 AM
On 2006-04-25 12:56, VR_Pilot wrote:

First of all, PSU will have to compete with FFXI. Wether the we hate the game or love it is irrelevant. FFXI is going to sell because of the FF label.

Well, FFXI is old. Most that wants it got it on PC or PS2, I doubt there will be a lot of competition between those 2 games.

shinobu_seta
Apr 26, 2006, 06:26 AM
PSU wont take any people away from FFXI or WoW because Square and Blizzard actually market their product. You still see ads for FF in gaming mags...

We know Sega's track record for advertising. I think I've seen one PSO advertisement in my lifetime...an ad in a magazine and I can't even remember it. I think a lot of people didn't play blue burst simply because they didn't know it existed.

Voice option is a must. I probably wont care too much if the offline game is dubbed, however listening to things like "HOOOO HAAAA TAKE THAT!" will get annoying online. I dunno...it's just more pleasant to hear Japanese grunts and yells.

VR_Pilot
Apr 26, 2006, 01:25 PM
Also, is anyone here going? I'm still hoping to win a contest. T_T

Well, I'm going http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

One of the biggest factors that will determine wether SEGA listens to concerns or, better yet, decides to hold a beta for the US, is the game's completion. We really don't know how far along PSU really is. The beta is just that: a beta. The final product could either be almost identical or completely different. As far as I'm concerned, "Fall 2006" is still long enough for SEGA to make a few changes.

But, if this whole E3 thing doesen't wok, I guess I'll have to start a petition or something. It's more than likely that SEGA wont listen, but at least I can say to myself that "I tryed". IMO, that gives me the right to complain.

Sev
Apr 26, 2006, 01:38 PM
It's good to try, but I wouldn't expect too much.

The games about to release in Japan most likely... So the game is done. I've been pretty sure that the Offline portion was finished, and that all of the extra work up until now and the delays have been due to working with the network portion of the game. It'd be great if they had already started recording for PSU but it's not like we've heard anything reguarding that. I don't know how easy it would be to get that type of information.

More then anything I would say to ask why the servers are seperate. It'd be nice to have an actual answer to that question since it's a strange move. With this type of game, I can't see people trying to get both an Xbox 360 version and a PC or PS2 version to play with everyone. Especially since the game itself will take quite some time playing wise. I guess we'll see.

Good luck though, and give us a good report on things if you can.

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 26, 2006, 01:39 PM
Here's another one to complain about. Its not PSU but it's Phantasy Star. Phantasy Star Generation: 3. We've heard nothing of the Phantasy Star 4 remake on the PS2 since Phantasy Star Generation: 2 got released like a year ago.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2006-04-26 11:40 ]</font>

PhotonCat
Apr 26, 2006, 02:32 PM
1. Actually, I wish that every platform was separated. PC with just PC players, PS2 with just PS2 players, Xbox360 with just Xbox360 players. But oh well.

But from a buisness stand point, It kinda doesn't make sence to put PC and PS2 players together but then leave the 360 players by themselves. That will cause some people to think before they buy. ("Hey, if I can't play with my freinds on the PC/PS2 then I'm not gonna buy it for 360!")

Also, FF11 isn't really that popular. There are other MMORPGs that are hellva lot better. Last time I checked it only had like 500K subscribers. That isn't a lot compared to WoW's 5M+.

2. I really hope they do give a dual-language option. I myself are really only buying PSU for the online but I'd be more willing to try the offline if they kept the JP voices. If it is English dubbed only I am probably not gonna even bother. Mostly all English dubbed games have horrid English voices.

ShinMaruku
Apr 26, 2006, 02:33 PM
I got moles at E3 no need to go.

StarLionsX
Apr 26, 2006, 02:34 PM
A release date soon?

Puppet_Papaya
Apr 26, 2006, 02:38 PM
Of course, that's having your cake and eating it!
Well, why not? What's the point in having a cake if you can't eat it?

Sev
Apr 26, 2006, 02:59 PM
It's not that being seperated would be completely bad, but it's simply annoying. I really would hate to choose between systems just to play with people I know. That's kinda crap when you think about it.

Everyones trying to seperate from each other, when it's just alot easier to stick together and be connected. Well, I'm all for unity, love and peace, all that good shit. I guess.

I'd definitely prefer to be able to buy the game without any English Dubbing and just translations so I can just play it. I have no problem reading subtitiles. Ethan's gonna be annoying in any language though.

kyori
Apr 26, 2006, 03:11 PM
On 2006-04-26 11:39, Jonathan_F wrote:
Here's another one to complain about. Its not PSU but it's Phantasy Star. Phantasy Star Generation: 3. We've heard nothing of the Phantasy Star 4 remake on the PS2 since Phantasy Star Generation: 2 got released like a year ago.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2006-04-26 11:40 ]</font>

Actually word is that PS4 was canned and PS Collection remake won't see the light of day in america due to finacial trouble for conspiracy games.

TheStoicOne
Apr 26, 2006, 03:35 PM
I think it would be a good idea if ST added a lottery feature, like if players put their character info into say a machine in their rooms, then they pick numbers, and the machine auto-picks some numbers, then a month later you log on and BOOM!! some unsupecting player gets automatically rich!! I think this would add an extra *umph* that would make this game that much more exciting

Sinue_v2
Apr 26, 2006, 03:49 PM
Actually word is that PS4 was canned and PS Collection remake won't see the light of day in america due to finacial trouble for conspiracy games.

Conspiracy Games is bankrupt, or practically bankrupt. As far as I know, they've dropped off the face of the Earth. That's not a big deal though. Conspiracy, after all, didn't publish the Sega Classics Collection did they? No.. Sega did. In fact, 3DAges isn't even doing the SegaAges collections anymore. Sega was displeased with the quality of the job they were doing and decided to bring the remakes in-house. The lineup for releases has been changed, and we really haven't heard anything more about it since then.

As for Phantasy Star IV, I've heard two rumors.

Rumor 1 - When Sega brough the Ages collection in-house they distributed the remakes among their development houses. Sonic Team got the Phantasy Star series, since they're already in charge of the franchise. Rather than just releasing it, and the collection, seperately - Sonic Team has worked on PSIV and is planning to release the collection with PSU as hidden mini-games. This follows on the previous rumors that Sonic Team was considering packaging the Phantasy Star Trilogy in with PSU as a "Special Edition" for a few bucks more per copy.

Rumor 2 - Sega has simply lost the original source code for Phantasy Star IV, and therefore cannot recreate the game 100% faithfully on next-gen hardware. This is also the reason why Phantasy Star IV was not included on the GameBoy Advance Phantasy Star Collection. Though, this one may be unlikely as well consdiering that Sega released a Phantasy Star Collection for the Saturn mid-way through it's life. They should still have copies of the source from that release at least.

I have no idea what the validity of either of these rumors are... take with a grain of salt.

physic
Apr 26, 2006, 04:49 PM
actually 500k paying customers is a pretty large amount for a mmorpg, each of those customers giving up 13 bucks a month whats that 6.5 million dollars a month? not to mention they got like 600k more characters at a buck a pop.
i dont know the stats on WoW but aside from wow, what are teh other stats on mmropgs, my guess is not close to that for 90 % of them.
Anyhow thats not really here or there. I think psu may cut in to ffxi in the way that any new game that will prolly take most of your time would. for most people there is only enough room for 1 online game. But its not in direct competition, it will get some different players. and there will be some players who would not enjoy psu who love the other games.
the seperating of xbox, ehh i cant say i really care, and really i dont know how many xboxers will care, because most xboxers prolly have a pc or a ps2 anyhow

scott1114
Apr 26, 2006, 05:26 PM
C'mon guys you don't really want SEGA to add things in PSU..... it's already been delayed 1 year farther, do you want it another 6 months?

Axios-
Apr 26, 2006, 06:04 PM
No one said anything about adding stuff to PSU. Even if the speculation of earlier PS games being in PSU were true, no one said that it would still have to be done.