PDA

View Full Version : Recommended joypads for PSU PC?

voxie
Apr 26, 2006, 12:52 PM
Just wanting to know what the Beta users are currently using, and if they support the games vibration option or not?

Thanks in advance http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Tomeeboy
Apr 26, 2006, 01:20 PM
I'm not playing the beta, but I would recommend a Logitech Dual Action Rumble Pad... it's just like a PS2 controller and very easy to use (in my opinion).

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 26, 2006, 01:26 PM
Not sure about vibration, but i'm using an Xbox controller with a standard USB extension on it. Very easy to pick up for no more than $10. Infact you can find extensions for the PS2 controller as well, but i wouldn't reccomend this for the GC controller as there aren't enough buttons and the beta will complain about that.

Sev
Apr 26, 2006, 01:28 PM
Tomeeboy, that's not the controller with the square area for the analog sticks is it? If not great, if so... Meh... I used it before... Made me run left... All the time. But that was just my experience.

My friend seem to use the Nyko Airflow. I myself had a PSX to USB adapter, but it's dead right now. Dunno if I should take it back to Radioshack or not.

RFB
Apr 26, 2006, 01:38 PM
I agree with tomeeboy. Anything thats like a PS2 controller, or simply a PS2 controller plugged to an adapter will work very very nicely.

Tomeeboy
Apr 26, 2006, 01:45 PM
Well, there is a dual action gamepad from Logitech (which is the cheapest), and then there is the dual action rumblepad, which is better quality and supports vibration. I have owned a couple of the regular Logitech dual action gamepads, and I did have to replace them both due to problems with the left analog messing up. I haven't had any such problems with the rumblepad so far. Its layout is nearly identical to a PS2 controller:

http://www.pso-world.com/images/rumblepad.jpg

You can also use the very nice Logitech Profiler gaming software to map out your own gamepad configuration and customize things to your liking. In a way, it essentially allows you to create macros as well, by recording multiple keystrokes to a single gamepad button.

Sev
Apr 26, 2006, 01:51 PM
I see. So this is a different version then the craptacular one that I had.

How long have you had this other controller? I'd just like to know, since I'll probably go out and buy whichever is the cheapest between the Airflow or this one here.

Brus
Apr 26, 2006, 02:20 PM
360 controller works very well if you get the xbcd drivers.

Tomeeboy
Apr 26, 2006, 02:21 PM
I've had the Rumblepad for at least a year or so, I believe. The regular dual action controller was nice when it worked, but I wouldn't waste my money on another one... I'd definitely go straight for the Rumblepad version as there is a noticeable quality improvement.

Otis_Kat
Apr 26, 2006, 03:06 PM
I dont play the beta, but for bb I use a 360 controller, works great and it automatically works.

voxie
Apr 26, 2006, 04:25 PM
Cool, thanks. Got my eye on the Dualpad and 360 one. Just need confirmation on vibration now..

vitius137
Apr 26, 2006, 05:08 PM
lol, i have a logitech dual action controller...... its alright but i dont like the d pad. and no rumble.

MEGAHAWK21x
Apr 26, 2006, 05:24 PM
Ill probbaly get the XBox 360 PC controller. To me, its exactly like a PS2 controller (same button layout), only more comfortable.

voxie
Apr 26, 2006, 08:45 PM
On 2006-04-26 15:08, vitius137 wrote:
lol, i have a logitech dual action controller...... its alright but i dont like the d pad. and no rumble.

Aww, you mean no rumble with PSU?? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Inazuma
Apr 26, 2006, 08:48 PM
i use a ps2 controller and the vibration DOES work. i even made a topic about it, but i guess no one noticed it. the game defaults to no vibration, so youll need to switch it on in the options menu in-game.

also make sure vibration is set to on in your control panel settings.

voxie
Apr 26, 2006, 08:51 PM
On 2006-04-26 18:48, Inazuma wrote:
i use a ps2 controller and the vibration DOES work. i even made a topic about it, but i guess no one noticed it. the game defaults to no vibration, so youll need to switch it on in the options menu in-game.

also make sure vibration is set to on in your control panel settings.

Okay, just to be sure - you're using a PS2 joypad, with the PC converter? Or the PS2 style pad mentioned above?

Dre_o
Apr 26, 2006, 08:53 PM
Tommee, I have that pad you showed and I have a question. When I blay BB, I just plug my controller in (without the Longitec window open) and it works automaticly and perfectly, is that what it's built to do?

DarK-SuN
Apr 26, 2006, 09:11 PM
I'm currently using a PS2 pad for PSU.
Works wonders and I setup the buttons accordingly to how it is in the PS2 version of PSU (you can find that out by checking the PSU.ini and then matching all the gamepad buttons to what's in there).

Here's a quick rundown for those interested, so that they can setup their controllers as close as possible to the PS2 version, to avoid confusions in case they buy both versions (my case, thus why I did it).

All the stick axis work (left analog for movement, right analog for camera control, it's usually setup automaticly), the d-pad is to navigate in menus and access chat shortcuts (if you press d-pad right you access itm also usually setup automaticly), Square is attack, Triangle is special arts, X is confirm/action, Circle is cancel/weapon selection, R1 is to use the "off-hand" weapon, R2 is to advance a page (when in menus with multiple pages), L1 is to lock-on/camera reset, L2 is to go back a page (when in menus with multiple pages), R3 switched to the FPS view, L3 does nothing, Start accesses the ingame menu and Select accesses the chat log.

vitius137
Apr 26, 2006, 09:30 PM
do all the axis' for the logitech pad work?

Tomeeboy
Apr 26, 2006, 09:35 PM
On 2006-04-26 18:53, Dre_o wrote:
Tommee, I have that pad you showed and I have a question. When I blay BB, I just plug my controller in (without the Longitec window open) and it works automaticly and perfectly, is that what it's built to do?

Yeah, you don't HAVE to use the Logitech Software, as many games come with built-in gamepad/joystick support. The software is more for games that either do not fully support gamepads, or do not support it well.

DarK-SuN
Apr 26, 2006, 09:38 PM
Yes, they do, since converters emulate the logitech pad (or any other third party PS2 pad) as if it was a default Sony PS2 pad.

I'm using this one, to be more exact: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/PT/EN,CRID=2277,CONTENTID=8157
Works like a wonder, plus it's wireless; I actually bought it JUST for PSU PC, I use regular Sony official pads in my PS2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Edit: In case the link doesn't work, select the whole thing and copy/paste it into the address bar.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarK-SuN on 2006-04-26 19:39 ]</font>

Dre_o
Apr 26, 2006, 10:15 PM
Yea, I bought my controller just for PSU myself but it works for BB also, but thanks for clearing that up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Omega_Nova
Apr 26, 2006, 10:18 PM
I myself am trying out a Xbox 360 controller for the PC. I've yet to get it sent out yet but I dare say I would prefer the PS2 controllers. However in the spirit of open mindedness, I'm giving the 360 controller a chance to prove itself.

Inazuma
Apr 27, 2006, 08:01 AM
yes i use a sony ps2 dual shock controller w/ a pc adapter. and everything including virbration works great

Dragon_Knight
Apr 27, 2006, 08:55 AM
Tomeeboy- Hey thanks for the advice...I have the same pad Sev does and the exact same problem too. I've had the basic one for a year and in the recent months its been going nuts on me. I have to plug/unplug it ten or more times before it settles down now. I may as well buy a new one.

googles
Apr 27, 2006, 10:08 AM
Reading about psu made me get psobb again. My logitech controller didnt work anymore so i went out and bought a regular wired xbox 360 controller, and then downloaded the drivers from microsoft.com. Works great.

RoninJoku
Apr 27, 2006, 10:52 AM
I will be using a PS2 controller with a PC converter as well... Hopefully the rumble will work with my converter... (Was made for use with DDR pads http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif)

drmcst45
Apr 27, 2006, 01:46 PM
Those USB xbox360 controllers are bad ass =)

Zephyr_
Apr 27, 2006, 03:18 PM
I use a Logitech RumplePad2, A basic PS2 clone with a nice feel to it. Not to mention Logitech's Pad managing software http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif. I have found it to be EXTREMELY nice in PSU, expecially with default config1.

voxie
Apr 27, 2006, 04:02 PM
I think the 360 pads are more comfy that the PS2 ones, personally. Anyone know if the 360 wired pads work with PSU's vibration?? (sorry to repeat myself http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif)