PDA

View Full Version : Free roam?

NightHour13
Apr 27, 2006, 05:57 PM
No, not about cellphones lol.

In PSO, had you not zapped to a specific area you could go no where but the ship or the lobbies. This game talks about Player Controlled Vehicals of all sorts and cities..

My question is fellow Hunters: Can I warp to Moatoob say, and just walk out of town and walk around freely in a gigantic planet just for the heck of it? Or is it the same "You cannot move outside of the designated area".

basically what i mean is (for those who played Lineage II, FFXI (vomits) and Guild wars and the like) Can we explore and hang out side of the towns like that?

RFB
Apr 27, 2006, 06:08 PM
Not that I have seen. Then again, the beta is really really limited, we havent even seen a vehicle, nevermind using one.
So far, no, no free roaming. But we'll have to see.

NightHour13
Apr 27, 2006, 06:16 PM
Oh boy, Well i certainly hope there is. The whole limit thing killed me, i need mah space!!

xenokai
Apr 27, 2006, 06:17 PM
vehicles are prob for offline story online just helps talk about them for online. no1 has even noticed a shop that doesnt work for vehicels?

SgtSassafras
Apr 27, 2006, 06:20 PM
I'm pretty certain the real game will have a free roaming mode to go with it, where you can search into many areas and find randomly spawned bosses and such. I get the feeling that most of the content was taken out for the beta test, figuring that the NDA would never hold up (as you've seen).

REJ-
Apr 27, 2006, 06:32 PM
That would be pretty sweet, roaming the planet and being able to find things like randomly spawned bosses, and fighting them in vehicle, or running away if they own you.

Nuke
Apr 27, 2006, 06:35 PM
I been wondering same thing for awhile. I cant wait till this game is ready for USA !!!

voxie
Apr 27, 2006, 11:32 PM
Freeroaming would rock muchly. I'm expecting to hear more news via E3! About 2 weeks left to go!!!

PSU freeroam FTW! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

RoninJoku
Apr 27, 2006, 11:36 PM
I vote no freeroam... I really have had enough of that from other MMOs... I will take Guardian's Colony thanks...

That and I sincerely think it will stay just how it is now...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2006-04-27 21:36 ]</font>

Alexandrious
Apr 28, 2006, 04:24 AM
On 2006-04-27 21:36, RurouniJoku wrote:
I vote no freeroam... I really have had enough of that from other MMOs... I will take Guardian's Colony thanks...

That and I sincerely think it will stay just how it is now...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RurouniJoku on 2006-04-27 21:36 ]</font>

*pats his head*

Is the big world that much scary for you? =3

Oji_Retta
Apr 28, 2006, 05:12 AM
Well, If there is free roaming (I never ever considered the idea), it will probably be instanced.

Dragon_Knight
Apr 28, 2006, 09:22 AM
I've always liked the idea of free roam in MMOs....as many of the games now a days are to confined (see Fable) and offer little to look at/for. But my only real gripe about free roam would be the possiblilty that (yet again) they will make a world thats vast and teleporter free or without the option of skipping areas so you can get to places quickly.

For once teleporters everywhere could be logical and welcome in a game. But I bet if there are large open areas in PSU there won't be any warps or skips to move quickly to an event. Hopefuly at least quests and such will give you the chance to warp strait to what you want to do otherwise we might have the same problem that FF11 and most others share: Spending hours getting together a raiding party only to have to replace person after person as each one finds something else to do in RL.

RoninJoku
Apr 28, 2006, 09:27 AM
On 2006-04-28 02:24, Alexandrious wrote:

*pats his head*

Is the big world that much scary for you? =3

Scary in the sense that it would be just like the others that I hate... =.=

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 28, 2006, 09:40 AM
Actually in a sense, free roaming is in the game.

You have to roam through an area to get to the next area you want to play. Remember caves? Imagine if you were forced to go through every time even though you had activated mines just to get to the mines. That's what it's like in the beta. Its almost like... Outrun.

RoninJoku
Apr 28, 2006, 09:43 AM
You are required to play each prerequisite area each and every time you want to get to a later area??? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_barf.gif

Spacepest
Apr 28, 2006, 06:40 PM
On 2006-04-28 03:12, Oji_Retta wrote:
Well, If there is free roaming (I never ever considered the idea), it will probably be instanced.

Gawd I hope so.

*is tired of dealing with monster campers, RMTers, and a**hats in other MMORPGS*

That is one thing I liked about PSO...instanced areas for you and your party.

oShojino
Apr 28, 2006, 07:54 PM
On 2006-04-28 07:43, RurouniJoku wrote:
You are required to play each prerequisite area each and every time you want to get to a later area??? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_barf.gif

Its like this, in PSU the mission architecture uses a continuation system. What I mean by this is that you'll always have to go through the first mission to get to the second mission, and so on. This is because after you finish a mission you are brought to a sort of outpost that is inaccessiable from anywhere but the mission. However, arriving to the outpost is independent of mission difficulty. So say your friends were on Parum Mission Two, B Rank.. if you wanted to get to them quickly, you could simply do Parum Mission 1 C Rank.. and then go on to the next area and join their game.

There are a different ammount of doors within outposts depending on how many different mission paths there are. I know that the first outpost for the guardians colony has one locked off door, and the second outpost has two locked doors... so we know that theres at least 3 different mission paths that are not accessible to us yet. At the moment theres only one mission path for Guardians colony, but after Parum mission one (no matter what rank difficulty you take, and provided you're high enough level) you can pick to go to the second forest mission or do ruins.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure if Parum uses the same door system.

To get back on topic, Ive been hoping for a non instanced free roam area in PSU for a while. It would be cool to just go out meet up with others and fight random field spawns or find new missions/dungeons independent of the towns. Maybe even quests?.. I just hope PSU puts this in, I love the mission system at all.. but I miss telepiping and the immersive levels of PSO (right now missions arent as long as dungeon runs were in PSO, not on par with caves ruins or seabed).

Well see,
Shojin.

RFB
Apr 28, 2006, 07:55 PM
Parum doesnt use a door system. You use the same one to head for dragon, or for the ruins. So maybe the locked doors at the colony are... just locked doors.

RedX
Apr 28, 2006, 08:28 PM
Maybe the locked doors are for locked content(other then missions)? And free roam would be very awesome. Give it more of an epic feel.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RedX on 2006-04-28 18:28 ]</font>

Itsuki
Apr 29, 2006, 12:24 AM
Sounds alot like guild wars. Though in guild wars you can teleport between outposts at will. You don't need to fight back to an outpost. Perhaps they might add something later on that allows you to teleport between outposts if you've already made it to one?

beatrixkiddo
Apr 30, 2006, 12:49 AM
It's not really that bad to have to go through Forest 1 to get to Forest 2 or Relics. You get exp and meseta and Class Points, so it's all worth it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif