PDA

View Full Version : Create your own ADX files

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 28, 2006, 05:32 PM
Ok this is more for those who want to make their own adx (looping audio) files. This is from a post from the MUGEN Fighter's Guild forums.

Here's what you need to start:
ADX Encoder (Finding New Free Host)
The ".WAV" file of choice
MS-DOS Prompt (Even with WinXP; Command-Line in WinXP)

Once you have ADX Encoder, simply unzip the file adxencd.exe to a folder (any folder really, but for this tutorial use ADXTOOLS in C:), place the said .wav file in there and open up the command-line prompt. When the window pops up, it should have you in your "My Documents" folder, so just type cd and you'll be sent to the root (C:). To start encoding, simply type the name of the folder like this: cd ADXTOOLS.

Once there, simply type: adxencd file.wav (replace "file" with the name of the actual file *ie. CharChoose.wav*)

It will process the file into an ADX file and you're done. You've made your first ADX file.

Now, don't pat yourself on the back just yet. In order to get the complete desired effect (looped file), you need to loop it...but how? Here's how:

Just type: adxencd file.wav -lps0 -lpe45000

The "-lps" stands for the loop starting point and the "-lpe" is the loop ending point. The loop is measured in wave samples, not minutes and seconds, for perfect acuraccy. In order to find out the loop points in wave samples, you can use CoolEdit/Adobe Audition (My Fav), SoundForge, Awave Studio, etc.

For CoolEdit/Adobe Audition , simply click View - Time Display Format - Samples, choose the loop region (even if there is music before the loop) and jot down those numbers somewhere. CoolEdit shows the loop start and loop end in the Begin and End box where the time usually is.

For SoundForge, I've never used it, so maybe someone can shed some light on it?

For Awave Studio, simply open up the program and Open a File (said .wav file), double-click the waveform icon, find your loop and jot down the numbers located in the loop point boxes.

You have your loop points...now what? Simply enter these values into the command-line prompt as I stated above (ie. -lps345 -lp23890). Once you've done that, press enter so the file gets processed and encoded. You're done! You now have a fully-functioning ADX file that loops! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

djDarkX

Just google adx encoder and grab the one from fileplanet.

I made an adx from Zircon's Motavian Battlefield remix over on OCRemix. Couldn't be happier. download it
here (http://www.phantasystarmonthly.com/motabat.adx). Sorry about the size, and i didn't feel like editing the whole thing down. I don't know if sega will allow us to replace the music like this but if they do and there's an area like Caves, this will be ready to go.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jonathan_F on 2006-04-28 15:33 ]</font>

Wavey
Apr 28, 2006, 05:46 PM
nice one Jonathan_F http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif really handy for pso : bb!