PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard Controls Question

Alexandrious
Apr 29, 2006, 04:01 AM
Yes their is a topic about this kinda I know, believe me im the kinda person who doesnt like to make another thread on a certain topic, however I did respond to that topic and gotten no answer.

I want to know how comfortable and convienent the keyboard controls are. Would a person comfortable with a keyboard have quicker access to menus, equip changes, Quickkeys and such then one on a controller? Or is Controller really the way to go? Id like to know so I can decide on either sticking with board, or finding a new gamepad for my PC.

Id appreciate any beta player feedback on this.

Nuke
Apr 29, 2006, 04:57 AM
Me too ><

Ryna
Apr 29, 2006, 05:09 AM
I've been using keyboard controls for most of beta. They seem to be pretty comfortable. I have quick access to all of the item and weapon menus.

Nuke
Apr 29, 2006, 05:29 AM
what buttons move your char?

RFB
Apr 29, 2006, 06:10 AM
WASD is used to move the character.

Nuke
Apr 29, 2006, 06:12 AM
good, i played a old original pso JP demo where u moved by
holding the mouse button down.....was bad

EDIT: Do not use racial slurs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-04-29 04:41 ]</font>

therealAERO
Apr 29, 2006, 11:12 AM
Get a Xbox 360 controller or a controller similar to Ps2, and the one reason you will need the keyboard will be for typing. Also for the second analog stick you get to rotate the camera, and move it up and down. (Characters head moves toward what you are looking at with camera) I like it a lot, and I can't imagine myself playing with the keyboard at all now.

Violation
Apr 29, 2006, 11:29 AM
^ but can you move the camera with the mouse?

see, im a heavy mmo and cs player so love the keyboard. But is it really better to use a controller for this game? If so what else do I need other then the 360 controller (which I have) just not playing psu on 360 but pc

Ryna
Apr 29, 2006, 11:33 AM
You can rotate the camera on the keyboard by pressing Shift plus an arrow key.

coomdoom
Apr 29, 2006, 11:38 AM
i have a ps2 USB gamepad, i will be using it when psu comes out in the shops or if there is an open beta, oh i hope there is, because i think it will be better to use a gamepad because the way the game is made, like a console game.

Violation
Apr 29, 2006, 12:00 PM
can anyone tell me how to get the 360 controller working on the pc? what is the extra part called?

coomdoom
Apr 29, 2006, 12:22 PM
well if it is xbox360 it uses usb, just plug it into the usb port on your computer.

Alexandrious
Apr 29, 2006, 01:04 PM
On 2006-04-29 09:12, therealAERO wrote:
Get a Xbox 360 controller or a controller similar to Ps2, and the one reason you will need the keyboard will be for typing. Also for the second analog stick you get to rotate the camera, and move it up and down. (Characters head moves toward what you are looking at with camera) I like it a lot, and I can't imagine myself playing with the keyboard at all now.

I actually can type messeges pretty fast while in battle or situations. By using a controller id have to 1. Throw it down into my lap then 2. Type what I need to say, if its incombat then it will be much worse if I have to say something vital. then 3. pick my controller back up and get myself outta the way before I take a hit.

And since I got my answer I think ill stick with Keyboard since its the best way to go if you mastered using it. Considering I can type 130 plus words per minute all the better =)

DamonKatu
Apr 29, 2006, 01:48 PM
One hand for combat, the other for chating. Have any questions??

like PSO, their should be shortcuts for dancing and other movements that way it would be fun and easy to do.

Please, if you have an arguement, please take if off the boards, though vilence dosnt get us anywhere but destruction.

Velocity_7
Apr 29, 2006, 02:44 PM
The gamepad is indeed good on its own but honestly speaking, some of the keyboard functions get you to parts of the main menu a lot faster than a gamepad will. In my opinion, having both at the same time should be more beneficial than having only one or the other.

If you get a gamepad though, be prepared to get something that exactly mimicks the PS2 gamepad in terms of all the buttons and analog sticks and where they are placed. However, do not worry about pressure-sensitivity.

Alexandrious
Apr 29, 2006, 03:59 PM
On 2006-04-29 12:44, Velocity_7 wrote:
The gamepad is indeed good on its own but honestly speaking, some of the keyboard functions get you to parts of the main menu a lot faster than a gamepad will. In my opinion, having both at the same time should be more beneficial than having only one or the other.

If you get a gamepad though, be prepared to get something that exactly mimicks the PS2 gamepad in terms of all the buttons and analog sticks and where they are placed. However, do not worry about pressure-sensitivity.

Meh I may get a gamepad just incase. I am looking into one of those Logitechs that mimic a PS2s, not the new wireless one though hate those things, always have a battery you have to replace -_-.