PDA

View Full Version : the only down side

linkzone
May 1, 2006, 06:32 AM
well from what ive read you cant play offline with your online character. unlike PSO were you could log off and keep playing. i know that PSU will be online for a number of years but when they stop updating the servers and discontinue service then my online guy is done. i cant log off and keep my stuff. please correct me if im wrong. seriously.

Ryna
May 1, 2006, 06:44 AM
That's right. You won't be able to use your character once the server dies or your database entry is deleted. This is presumably one of the reasons that Extra Mode was created.

RFB
May 1, 2006, 06:49 AM
Thats not a down side, anyway. Yes, once the game servers die, it's over, your character will go "pof", as well as all your items.

But if the characters were to be stored in the PS2 memory card or in the PC/360 Hard Drive, it'd be a piece of cake for cheaters to illegally improve their characters offline. And we dont want that.

Evan101
May 1, 2006, 06:57 AM
I think that this and seperated servers were bad moves on st's part.

linkzone
May 1, 2006, 07:00 AM
well i guess in order to stop cheaters its worth not having my online go offline. i hate cheaters, almost as much as midgets.

voxie
May 1, 2006, 07:10 AM
It's a downside, in a way, that in say 15 years time you can't relive the moment playing with your character file. But hey there's now a smaller hole for exploits, and there's Extra Mode. I'd say it's a fair enough trade http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Hopefully, the servers will be kept updated on the latest exploits that arrive online, and uh, search and destroy lol. I don't know how they'll be doing it, I presume they'll have bots of somekind constantly scanning the servers for exploits and bad users... *doink* Okay, enough babble lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: voxie on 2006-05-01 05:12 ]</font>

TheStoicOne
May 1, 2006, 08:17 AM
And are you only allowed one Extra mode character?

Feran
May 1, 2006, 08:32 AM
no, 4 i believe. all extra mode is, is online mode solo-style

Mitz
May 1, 2006, 08:40 AM
I like it. I don't see a downside :3

Sessilu
May 1, 2006, 08:54 AM
This is normal of course but, is pso from the old days servers are still up ( I tihnk ) I Doubt Psu's will go in some reall long years..

RoninJoku
May 1, 2006, 10:03 AM
My only problem with server side saving is the aesthetic value... I can't grab my memory card and say... "This here is my PSU character... This here is my life!" I won't be able to physically hold my character in the palm of my hand... Extra mode remedies that a little bit... But only in the sense that you can still make custom characters and play with them offline... You will never be able to play online with them...

Also I'm hoping ST will be kind and keep your character around on the server for a bit longer after someone ceases payment on an account than most MMOs... I really hate that I have to keep paying just to keep my character alive, even if it is a slow month for playing the game... Oh well...

Jozon
May 1, 2006, 10:59 AM
On 2006-05-01 06:54, Sessilu wrote:
This is normal of course but, is pso from the old days servers are still up ( I tihnk ) I Doubt Psu's will go in some reall long years..

Yeah, they are making the UK, maybe a different country, but they are making V2 for the dreamcast servers free so you no longer need a hunter's license, so I assume it's gonna go on for awhile.

Wavey
May 1, 2006, 11:10 AM
I think this is a great idea. If online only means no cheaters, then online it is. Lets think about it. We have Offline mode with a story to it. and then online mode to kinda "continue" the story. I think it makes sense.

TheStoicOne
May 1, 2006, 11:22 AM
And then theres "Extra mode" to continue your "Story mode" experience

VR_Pilot
May 1, 2006, 12:29 PM
Oh, I really hope Extra mode has offline multiplayer...

Sessilu
May 1, 2006, 12:45 PM
Lan would be nice, yep <.<;

shinobu_seta
May 1, 2006, 12:51 PM
Play PSO on GC for any amount of time and then you'll see why server side saving is the best step ever for the series.

Sessilu
May 1, 2006, 12:53 PM
Yep, i heard GC was hacked to death, lol.

Axios-
May 1, 2006, 01:01 PM
I don't know which version hasn't been obscenely hacked, but PSO was unique in that I didn't find the hacking to matter much. With all the duping, multi-equipping, and stuff that I ran into on GC, I found that it wouldn't bother if you didn't associate with it...as opposed to other games where the hacking seemed to just taint the game as a whole. Either way, PSU should be better (even though it will most likely be hacked eventually) and server side saving is a very good move for this. Not much of a downside for me. ^.^;

TheStoicOne
May 1, 2006, 01:06 PM
Someone once said having a good business sence is knowing when tom pull out before everything is lost. So I say all good things must come to an end at some point, and I'll be ready when that happens.Nothing lasts forever.

Kai-SIN
May 1, 2006, 01:13 PM
Dude lame so i guess no offline multiplayer.... and just when me and my freinds are obssesed with PSO 1&2 offline multiplayer http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Kai-SIN
May 1, 2006, 01:17 PM
Sorry for posting again so soon but i think we should still have our characters. i mean PSO should have died out when DC was dicontinued yet i still have love for the game. the point im trying to make no matter if things come to an end like FF7 people will still love it and still have love for the classics.

mechatra
May 1, 2006, 01:18 PM
to be honest the only reason that offline multiplayer was good for me and my friends on PSO was because some of them didn't have reliable internet connections. Now they've sorted it out, s where's the point of leaving the comfort of my room to go to each others houses, when we can have the real PSU experience the way its intended to be had.

Lets not forget splitscreening would probably butcher PSU.

It's not biggie to me really.

Axios-
May 1, 2006, 01:21 PM
On 2006-05-01 11:17, Kai-SIN wrote:
Sorry for posting again so soon but i think we should still have our characters. i mean PSO should have died out when DC was dicontinued yet i still have love for the game. the point im trying to make no matter if things come to an end like FF7 people will still love it and still have love for the classics.

Yeah, that's true, but client-side saving would mean risking increased cheating during the game's height in exchange for the appeasement of the minority of people who will want to play 7 years after its release. Yeah, sure it would be nice for those in that minority, but it's just not a fair trade from an objective view. At least you'll still have story mode =P

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Axios- on 2006-05-01 11:22 ]</font>

shinobu_seta
May 1, 2006, 01:22 PM
PSOBB is a good example of how much more beneficial server side saving for the game is. For a time people had figured out duping and some hacks, but eventually it was weeded out. If you play it now, it's mostly legit.

Basically server side saving keeps little 12 year old Timmy from using his Action Replay ^_^

Sessilu
May 1, 2006, 02:04 PM
True, Action Replay sucks, and so does Duping/Hacking..
Of course, it will come..but what if Sega made such a powerful anti hack system, that it was almost impossible to the average user to do it? XD

Doubt it anyways...

Well Server Side is good, yay!
I hate when they delete your characters though..

Itsuki
May 1, 2006, 03:05 PM
Will you even be able to play extra mode offline? My understanding was that you would still need to be online to access single player mode (atleast for the pc version). I would assume this would be you'd need to be online to access extra mode aswell.

Wavey
May 1, 2006, 03:24 PM
if it turns out to true Isuki, then yes :S

MXdude
May 1, 2006, 03:30 PM
It would have been an interesting idea is ST would allow you to save your online character to a memory card, yet not allow you to upload it. Lets say you play for 2 years, decide to not play onlien anymore. Then you could save you online character to memory unit and play with him in extra mode and continue using your character. However, if you wish to play onlien again lets say a month later, you cant upload any progress you have made. So once you play online again, its the same place you left off a month ago.

Just a though.

Sessilu
May 1, 2006, 03:33 PM
That would be neat, seriously.

VR_Pilot
May 1, 2006, 03:36 PM
That's just what I was going to say. And if you ever decide to go online again, then quit a second time, the new online data would just overwrite the old. Brilliant.

mechatra
May 1, 2006, 03:38 PM
That's not the worst of ideas I must admit.

Someone shoud sugest that in the beta forums.

DizzyDi
May 1, 2006, 03:40 PM
Hackers would probably find a way to hack and upload thier characters.
Its a little risky and ST might not wanna chance it.

_Tek_
May 1, 2006, 03:59 PM
But once the official servers die, its off to privte servers, which usually allow cheating, so you could hax your character back to was it originally was if you wanted.

kassy
May 1, 2006, 07:36 PM
Serverside saving is the best thing that happened the PS series!

Do you know how easy it could be to change player data if it was simply stored as a saved file on your PC, look at PSO PC....if you could play offline with your character it would only be a matter of time before someone out there found away to cheat. Serverside saving is a godsend, it's the MORPG norm, and people should'nt see it as a downside, isn't this what we've wanted for years?

I just fnd it weird, we complain about no server-side saving character corruption, and now people complain about not being able to keep your characters, it's one or the other. PSU is a party based online game, frankly, when the day comes for the servers to be shut down I won't want to play with my character if it's not with other people.

Authenticate
May 1, 2006, 08:06 PM
It'd be nice if they did what D2 did and give people the option of taking their offline character online on "Open" servers or whatever they were called. Then keep it like the way they have it now so people can play legit on those. That way those that want to cheese the game can, and those that want to play legit will play legit.

I'd only ever play on the online only servers, so I don't mind at all if they don't put offline character servers in. I'm just saying it would help make everyone happy.

Axios-
May 1, 2006, 08:13 PM
I think we need to find a way to play an online game without the use of servers or our friend internet. >_>;;

Sinue_v2
May 1, 2006, 09:57 PM
That way those that want to cheese the game can, and those that want to play legit will play legit.

I don't think it would be wise for Sega to bow to the cheaters in any form or fashion. They need to keep a hardline attitude so as not to set the precidence that "if we keep screwing the game up enough, Sega will eventually do what we want to keep us happy". Not to mention that a Sega sponsored online testing ground for dissassembling their game would be a disasterous PR and legal move for Sega to make.

Mokona99
May 1, 2006, 10:11 PM
What's this "extra mode" you guys speak of?

Dragon_Knight
May 1, 2006, 10:24 PM
Its in the one player mode of PSU after you do a mission it will open up. This allowes you to make a character and wonder around as that character instead of Ethan, you can even call up any of the offline characters Ethan has the cards of, however you can only go to the places Ethan has already been to.

Itsuki
May 1, 2006, 10:45 PM
On 2006-05-01 13:40, DizzyDi wrote:
Hackers would probably find a way to hack and upload thier characters.
Its a little risky and ST might not wanna chance it.

That doesn't seem like it'd be a possibilty if they only allow the downloading of characters. They just have to not give you the ability to upload, its a one way street. It would be a good idea, but I don't think it'd be a likely one.

linkzone
May 2, 2006, 03:04 AM
I really wish there was a way to 'save' your character. Like someone said, what if i log off for a time and then want to play again. I mean, take me for example, im in the military, the marines for that matter, i dont get to play online when i get deployed, or at least not nearly enough to pay for it. but i dont want my character deleted. what id like is for them to 'save' my guy on a sorta 'spare' server for maybe a 'not gonna be on for awhile' holding account, so i dont have to pay full price but dont get to play online again till i do pay full. something like that, cause i really dont wanna have to start over every time i go on a deployment. this would also reduce hacking cause i cant copy and paste my guy or something, they would still have control over him.

echo-2003
May 2, 2006, 11:25 AM
I have always said this about server side saving, Why can't we just play with our online characters online till the servers go down or when you the indivdual player is done playing online (or can no longer afford to http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif)

Why not allow us to d/l our character to the memory card and thus all that work and play time and not lost and we can still play the same character. You just can't go back online with it.

Since you can't do that anyway I see no way for the cheats to win here.

This would solve this whole dilemna since I too am in the same position as the creator of this thread is.

I see no point in playing when it is all for not. Just doesn't make sense.

oh well, I will play online for about a month or so but anymore then that is a waste of time.

Reystradamus
May 2, 2006, 11:55 AM
y would playing online for longer than a month would be a waste of time?the purpose of this game is online!!!!!!!

linkzone
May 3, 2006, 01:54 AM
i just dont want to pay for time i dont get to use. they should have a safe account at a minimal price for those times when you cant pay or arnt gonna get to play.

Areku
May 3, 2006, 09:17 AM
I think that allowing you to save your charater after you're done playing online to be a great idea. Perhaps they could do this throughout the servers are working, but if nothing else they could at least offer this if the servers ever decide to go down for good. It would be a nice touch in order to allow players to continue with their character offiline after spending so many hours online with them. Of course, as others have said, you owuldn't be able to reupload it once you have played offline with them

linkzone
May 3, 2006, 06:18 PM
yes thats what im talking about. you dont actually keep your character. but they save it for you for a 'holders fee' till you can get back online or they get the servers up.