PDA

View Full Version : Monster experience distribution?

chibiLegolas
May 4, 2006, 03:41 PM
Sorry if this was brought up earlier. But I can't find any info on the topic.

I was wondering if PSU still had the old PSO experience distribution were it forces all players to at least tag a monster to share the experience. Or have they changed it to an equal based shared experience for the group and only bonus exp. to the player who made the finishing blow to the enemy?

The whole tagging for experience really annoyed me on PSO for so long, making some players run in to gizonde everything. And concentrate on killing only AFTER once that was done. I was hoping they did away with it. And just give us a peace of mind for us to concentrate on killing ememies with our preferred weapons. (one of the reasons why I think sabers and daggers are frowned upon on PSO. Especially for HU android types.

Zephyr_
May 4, 2006, 03:42 PM
EXP division is in PSU, and tagging is also required.

RFB
May 4, 2006, 03:45 PM
And you -NEED- to deal damage, apparently. Even if you hit for zero damage, it wont count. eh, Nish? =P

VelosofLight
May 4, 2006, 03:46 PM
I was always just amused by the reaction I got when I murdered everything in a room, and then one guy was like 'd00d u n00b u didnt let me tag!'

Nuclearranger
May 4, 2006, 03:47 PM
So no real change from pso in that sence

RFB
May 4, 2006, 03:49 PM
Well, in PSO, you could tag mobs with Jellen & Zalure, which deal no damage.

But now, if dealing zero damage doesnt tag, maybe casting Jellen or Zalure wont either, so you actually may be required to do some damage.

VelosofLight
May 4, 2006, 03:54 PM
Well, I think Jellen and Zalure should count, since they're harmful to the mobs. Zero-damage hits should not though, for obvious reason. I mean, it has to /matter/.

Kano-Okami
May 4, 2006, 04:04 PM
Come to think about it, that was one of my reasons I decided to play as a force, so I could tag everything without actually having to go toe-to-toe with each and every enemy.
It's cheap, I know, but it was the way things worked.I would personally like experience for every technique you use, mainly the support techniques...and even then it was a 2 way street.
It sucks twice as bad for those players 'would-be-white-mage', or healers, who would fix & power-up their pals who are constantly in the fray yet reap no benefits and steadily cast tp away.

Reystradamus
May 4, 2006, 04:21 PM
that was ya only reason 2 be a force LOL...to each its own i guess....its not really cheap way 2 gain exp...i mean everybody gotta level as long as a force restas me up..i dont care how u get ya experience!

chibiLegolas
May 4, 2006, 04:35 PM
On 2006-05-04 14:04, Kano-Okami wrote:

It sucks twice as bad for those players 'would-be-white-mage', or healers, who would fix & power-up their pals who are constantly in the fray yet reap no benefits and steadily cast tp away.

I really hope that's not the case. I actually LIKE being the support character of the group since my play style is to boost myself up anyways so I can actually survive being a melee force. So why not share the love with your fellow teammates? But like you said, I don't want to be left out of the exp. game.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

I guess we'll just have to see when the support spells are released in beta.

Dammit. I really hated tagging in PSO.
*sigh*
Ah-well....

Kupi
May 4, 2006, 04:47 PM
On 2006-05-04 14:04, Kano-Okami wrote:

Yeah, but Jellen and Zalure counted for tags, and really, if you wanted to be a good support character in PSO, that was part of your job.

Suiko
May 4, 2006, 05:48 PM
I know beta players already have much on their plate as far as requests go, but if Jellen and/or Zalure were to be added to the game before the beta ends, could any of the beta players with Force characters try them out to see if experience is gained without any additional hits?

This system isn't really fair to everyone, particularly those who want to use strong weapons that hit single targets or have a smaller radius of attack. I kind of wish they would go with the OP's idea of sharing the experience between everyone in the party since it is an instance they are fighting in. Well, sorry to ramble & whine ; ;

physic
May 4, 2006, 05:51 PM
well maybe someone should post to have an option on to distribute exp like with item distribution, by making setting choices. i thought i posted this aready maybe i didnt

RFB
May 4, 2006, 05:52 PM
1)I really doubt they'll add anything else to the beta game. I think that the Neudaiz/NanoBlast/SUV update was like a big last "BOOM" of an update. So probably, no Jellen/Zalure for us, at least not in the form of techs.

2)Well, hitting every enemy at least once isnt difficult. Every class can use a handgun, and strafe while shooting. So you can take you a handgun, and shoot all the enemies once while strafing, then go back to killing. I'd still prefer exp to be shared another way, but at least, it's not hard to hit every enemy.

Also, pretty much all Photon Arts can hit multiple targets, regardless of the weapon. 1 handed daggers have an Area Photon Art, from what I've seen.

Skye-Fox713
May 4, 2006, 05:59 PM
it still be interesting to see a diferent form of distributing exp from sonic team

TheStoicOne
May 4, 2006, 06:10 PM
Well if there is no J/Z then you (tose who wanted it) should buy traps and set them OFF EVERYWHERE!!!!!! (thats what I used to do in a room full of forces w/ my hucast)LOL!!!

vitius137
May 4, 2006, 06:13 PM
maybe in the full version they will add an option of whether to distribute exp to everyone or only to those who have dealt damage. the same way you can choose whether to distribute items randomly or use "first come first serve"

Nisshoku
May 4, 2006, 06:28 PM
On 2006-05-04 13:45, RFB wrote:
And you -NEED- to deal damage, apparently. Even if you hit for zero damage, it wont count. eh, Nish? =P

Don't remind me, RFB. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif I could've hit Lv20 a whole lot faster if I did at least ONE point of damage. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

RFB
May 4, 2006, 06:42 PM
I had to, man, I had to! it's stronger than me! =P
and yeah... next time, aim for z3h wings =P

linkzone
May 4, 2006, 07:04 PM
i think its good that you have to deal dmg to get exp. this prevents people from having a high level buddy take them to the big monsters and letting them tag then then hide in the background while their friend kills every thing and they get exp for nothing.

Kaeorii
May 4, 2006, 07:08 PM
I think EXP should be like most other MMO.. Shared, but only within' a certain radius of the combat. It prevents leechers who would simply hang back a safe distance and do nothing, and still leaves everyone in the party happy. If someone still isn't doing their job, then the party would know it, and could act accordingly.

physic
May 4, 2006, 08:53 PM
well, its a 6 man game so its gonna be pretty obvious what some ones doing, and as to the dmg, fos got no probs leeching exp. but primarily i think most exp will probably come at teh end of missions possibly later some missions will give bonuses for performance or something

therealAERO
May 5, 2006, 02:02 PM
Just bust out your hand gun and strafe from left to right shooting everything than go attack with your uber weapon. Thats what I do.

chibiLegolas
May 5, 2006, 02:20 PM
On 2006-05-05 12:02, therealAERO wrote:
Just bust out your hand gun and strafe from left to right shooting everything than go attack with your uber weapon. Thats what I do.

I know. That's my problem with PSO. It's distracting when in other games, exp. should just be shared among the group who's in battle. In PSU, that means someone who wants to specialize in a hard hitting single enemy weapon would also naturally level up a 2nd type that just hits multiple enemies. Or like you said, a hand gun.
But time spend leveling up the secondary weapon could of been spend leveling up my primary. That's the problem I see for certain folks.

But as an example:
Challenge Mode reminded me how fun it was just to rely on a saber and wadeing through the hoards without worrying about tagging or delaying my actions just so that the rest of the team can get their hit in.

It's just plain distracting to me.
Am I alone here? But what's done is done. If PSU's experience is similiar to PSO, then I'll suck it up. I've already done so after 5+ years...
I was just hoping they changed it after having years of PSO to improve on it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2006-05-05 12:23 ]</font>

MXdude
May 5, 2006, 02:25 PM
I agree with you. When you entered a room in pso, everyone would starting hiting each monster once, or useing pointless techs to make sure they get exp. Its more efficient if everyone tried to kills things from the start, not only going for the kill once they have tagged everything possible.

RFB
May 5, 2006, 03:00 PM
On 2006-05-05 12:20, chibiLegolas wrote:
In PSU, that means someone who wants to specialize in a hard hitting single enemy weapon would also naturally level up a 2nd type that just hits multiple enemies. Or like you said, a hand gun.
But time spend leveling up the secondary weapon could of been spend leveling up my primary. That's the problem I see for certain folks.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chibiLegolas on 2006-05-05 12:23 ]</font>

I agree with you that having to tag is bad, but it's not THAT bad. You dont have to train guns. You cant train guns. Any race, of any class, can use handguns, and you dont need any kind of special training of no short whatsoever to be able to fire it. Just equip when desired, strafe + shoot, done.

Anyway, if you're going FO, trust me, you wont have a problem tagging... the non FOs will be the ones having problems tagging all mobs before you turn them into ashes.

therealAERO
May 5, 2006, 04:25 PM
You should have a hand gun no matter what class you are. Also make sure to get a Photon Art for your handgun so you can level it up. Its always good to have a long range weapon.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: therealAERO on 2006-05-05 14:26 ]</font>

PhotonCat
May 5, 2006, 05:18 PM
I really wish they would just make it so: Your in the group = You get exp.
That's the way it is in other MMOs(MMORPGs especially).
I just think it's dumb to force ppl to have to "tag" everything and go nuts. (no pun intended)