PDA

View Full Version : So how hard is it to play without knowing Japanese?

Ryo_Hayasa
May 5, 2006, 09:46 AM
As the topic states, and i hope there haven't been TOO many of these.

Is the game really kinda hard to play and understand without knowing a single bit of Japanese? (or rather being able to read it)

This would help me out, i planned on Importing the JP Version and letting lose untill the US version came out.

also if someone could direct me to a thread that explains how the payment for PSU (the japanese version) Is like, credit cards are taken, so, what's used?

What IS net cash and how do you get/use it?

Omega_Nova
May 5, 2006, 10:06 AM
Playing a RPG in a different language can be extremely frustrating. What makes this difficult is that you can't just translate a sentence and expect an answer. Even a first year lesson in Japanese would increase your chance of enjoying the game tenfold.

Before you make the "leap" into something like this I'd suggest downloading a ROM of a RPG (one that you've never played through before) in japanese, see how far you can get with that game before you pre-order PSU.

Ryo_Hayasa
May 5, 2006, 10:29 AM
Actually i've done that. And it was pretty rough though after a while it got easier. it all came down to "Remembering what menu did what and where this was, and what you can assume these characters mean."

RPGs, and of course some Fighting games. Korean and Japanese infact.

But i assume PSU is a BIG BIG BIG leap. Since it seems to be so expansive. Then again if you're playing online all you really need to worry about is: What weapons are what? how to get more, item names, how to equip them. Techs, and the usual stuff.

thankfully.

pineapple
May 5, 2006, 11:46 AM
From looking at screen shots, if you know Katakana you'll easily be able to read the names of most items and enemies. I'm sure the story will be lost on you without extensive knowledge of kanji or a good ear though. The online portion probably won't be too difficult to understand, but you may have to hook up with some other english speaking players.

Tycho
May 5, 2006, 12:04 PM
What Pineapple said.
Are you willing to spend an hour or so learning katakana? Then, as long as you're not really trying to understand the storyline, you'll be fine.

Ryo_Hayasa
May 5, 2006, 12:15 PM
Well, that's all i needed to know. Thanks alot guys, and as i had planned i would get together with afew other english speaking Players.

Now, the next step...finding somewhere to learn some basic Japanese and Katakana....

As for the offline story, i'll wait for the English version, or wait for someone to whip up a translation guide.

Avalandiel
May 5, 2006, 06:05 PM
I have found many sites on the Internet that have Hiragana and Katakana tables, as well as many lessons on how to say and read them. Just go to Yahoo or Google and type in "Katakana", the first few sites give some good lessons =) It is also handy to print out a chart of Katakana for help if you seem to forget the characters while you are playing. I took Japanese in High School, but that was a few years ago so I will need to brush up a little bit as well http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

~~Ava

Omega_Nova
May 5, 2006, 06:52 PM
On 2006-05-05 16:05, Avalandiel wrote:
I have found many sites on the Internet that have Hiragana and Katakana tables, as well as many lessons on how to say and read them. Just go to Yahoo or Google and type in "Katakana", the first few sites give some good lessons =) It is also handy to print out a chart of Katakana for help if you seem to forget the characters while you are playing. I took Japanese in High School, but that was a few years ago so I will need to brush up a little bit as well http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

~~Ava

Katakana and Hiragana isn't a real problem in RPGs, its when kanji is used. Which unlike any alphabet, can not be organized.

pineapple
May 5, 2006, 07:37 PM
umm... kanji is organized by radical and stroke number, granted it is a lot easier to use an electronic dictionary. It would be very difficult to play story mode, with any sort of comprehension, without knowing kanji, but I doubt the online game would be a problem aside from quests.

Sinue_v2
May 5, 2006, 08:14 PM
You could always do what Gabe did and just import yourself a Japanese guy on the pretence that he's on a game-show.

"Oh Boy! Lighting Round!"

Nuke
May 5, 2006, 08:22 PM
Why is it so hard to just wait for the english version.....
patiance is a virtue

patient
May 5, 2006, 10:36 PM
I always have recomended this book:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/4770018827/qid=1146886464/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-9440026-2174405?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

By far the best book around. Unlike others it doesn't confuse when it comes to Hiragana or Katakana. The tables in the book will have you reading in no time.

linkzone
May 6, 2006, 12:10 AM
On 2006-05-05 18:22, Nuke wrote:
Why is it so hard to just wait for the english version.....
patiance is a virtue

its not one of my virtues. i want the game now.

EJ
May 6, 2006, 01:19 AM
http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~ts/japanese/shape_k.html

http://www.kanjisite.com/index.html

Both these websites are pretty helpful in learning to read teh characters.

Shade-
May 6, 2006, 03:02 AM
right now if a japanese player enters a game, I have no idea what I'm supposed to do. Part of it is I'm supposed to be japanese to be in the beta at all.

Zelutos
May 6, 2006, 03:08 AM
I always play with the japanese players on PSO, so playing with them in PSU isn't hard at all. Sometimes the menus take a bit to figure out, but otherwise, it's easy. Then again, i do know a bit of japanese...*shakes fist at Kanji*

linkzone
May 6, 2006, 07:55 AM
it wont be too hard for me cause i got japanese friends here to help, ill just write the symbols down and what they mean till i got them more or less figured out.

Dragon_Knight
May 6, 2006, 08:08 AM
Even so its not as if your obligated to talk. They may think your rude, but I've been in many online games where I've never said a word....just like I do in r/l...and it hasn't affected anything.

One of the funniest times was Ragnarok online, I had been playing Leanna for so long that people expected me only to do requests and such or follow any orders the leader had given out. Well one time an unkonwn item dropped near the end of a long dungion crawl and being an assaissins dagger I couldn't use it. So I stopped for a second and said three words "unkown Assaissn's dagger." the whole party just STOPPED and a ten minute convo about me started from there.