PDA

View Full Version : The Memory Card Crap >.

Kimil
May 7, 2006, 06:33 PM
To get past this memory card proplem for the PS2 version of PSU, why can't they just Include a memory card that can hold a large amount of memory with the PS2 version of PSU? (GCN made one, their 1019 Memory Card, storing 20 times thei first one)

Better yet, why doesn't ST make a HD themselves?

Ryna
May 7, 2006, 06:39 PM
Why doesn't ST make a hard drive? Money. It would cost too much to make a special hard drive just for PSU.

Reystradamus
May 7, 2006, 07:08 PM
i think people are making a big deal out of this hard drive problem thing...how about we play the game 1st...be4 we start crying?

Tystys
May 7, 2006, 07:10 PM
Maybe it'll all work out in the end...who knows...

StarLionsX
May 7, 2006, 07:10 PM
So true Reystradamus.

Kimil
May 7, 2006, 07:18 PM
On 2006-05-07 17:08, Reystradamus wrote:
i think people are making a big deal out of this hard drive problem thing...how about we play the game 1st...be4 we start crying?

For the record: Wasn't Crying

Zelutos
May 7, 2006, 07:39 PM
A HDD isn't compatible with the new slim PS2's. If they did that, all the Slim PS2 owners would be left out, including me >=[

pineapple
May 7, 2006, 07:48 PM
It's worth noting that the Memory Card 1019 holds the same amout of data that PS2 cards always have.

Nuclearranger
May 7, 2006, 07:59 PM
But if sega made the game 10-20$ more and included a -say 512mb card they could stop hacking all together with consistant updates...

_Tek_
May 7, 2006, 08:09 PM
Problem is sony's stuff has a good chance of screwing up. So you might end up buying another card anyways,.

Alexandrious
May 7, 2006, 08:09 PM
Better question, why couldnt they have just waited and released it for the PS3 instead? sighs -_-

If they did that then we wouldnt have all this complaining ya?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alexandrious on 2006-05-07 18:09 ]</font>

physic
May 7, 2006, 10:36 PM
the psu forum is all about wining about the game before its out, or praising it, or stalking it. not much else to do when teh game doesnt exist for us yet.
As far as sega making an HDD, being a software producer and a hardware producer is very different, and is contingent on Sony anyhow, sony killed the hdd on purpose with their slim models.
there prolly is no solution other than later seperating servers and making it upgrade to ps3. which is kind of crazy, so probably their will be no solution.

vitius137
May 7, 2006, 10:52 PM
On 2006-05-07 17:08, Reystradamus wrote:

cry first, ask questions later. lol.

VelosofLight
May 7, 2006, 11:19 PM
Can someone explain what the problem is? The thread doesn't really say.

vitius137
May 7, 2006, 11:28 PM
the problem is that most likely we wont recieve patches beacuse the ps2 version wont hav HD support and patches will either be done on the memory card or not at all.

VelosofLight
May 7, 2006, 11:31 PM
No, I think there'll be patches, but they'll come on a disc and have a price-tag. Ok, so there probably won't be patches.

Shade-
May 8, 2006, 12:33 AM
ok, we know ST, we know how they work. they are good at screwing up. This may be thier big screwup this time, or the memory card might not be a problem. But the other thing we know is, there will be a PSU v.2, or eppisode 2, or something. When that is released, I have money it wont rely on the PS2 as the limiting hardware, they will put it straight to PS3, so it can use the HD. Hopefully this time around too, do to the bigger scale of the game, they will let us transfer characters. If not, oh well, starting over is always the best part anyway XD.

Face it there will be a v.2, and we will hate it and love it at the same time.

Zephyr_
May 8, 2006, 12:40 AM
Lol @ bitching over a Memory Card. How big do you think the patches are? If anything, the patches will only be for security, meaning simple kb's of files of just script to tell the anti-hack software on the game disk to operate differently. You speak as though there will be weapon updates and whatnot, but, how will that happen if they realise all the content at once?! My god, is that prospect so far-fetched that noone has thought of it!

If you don't like how the PS2 will work, play the PC. ST is giving you a choice, you are not force to play on the PS2 if you do not want to.

Hotsuma
May 8, 2006, 12:52 AM
If they do release content, it'll probably be released on the server and the patches sent to the memory card will just be files telling the game how to read those files, I doubt the patches will be actual game data, that will most likely be kept on the servers if any new game data will be released, and knowing ST.. they like to add things so.. new quests and junk.

physic
May 8, 2006, 02:14 AM
Though this has been said a lot, seems some dont get what people mean by no updates.
Yes the game will unlock new things as time goes on, new weapons, new enemies new areas, new ways to get weapons new clothes etc. Seasonal changes etc. Similar to what went on pso GC and pso v1 and v2 and whatnot
What will be highly unlikely on either version, since they are connected is them adding actual NEW STUFF, IE after they have teh game out for say a year, and have used up their preprogramed stuff, they will not be adding anything really new, graphic, music, video voice etc. If you played FFXI and noticed how they were able to add new weapons, new garments, new areas new music without you buying a new disc, this will not happen. furthermore even with a new disc, it will require everything be on the disc already, so the total size of the game, as long as its supported by ps2 will not be greater than a ps2 disc.

Why would they do this you say? well honestly pso is a 40 hour rpg regardless of its online capabilities, PS2 is the system with teh highest saturation and currently the highest played system of its class through out teh world. Also most of teh downsides, (barring a huge bug in teh game) wont come into play in the first 6 months to year of the game. (after they have unlocked most teh content in the actual game disc) What can ya do about the memory carrd jazz? just about nothing, sony has closed that door for you. And sega put you in that room. Honestly unless they have a major bug, it probably wont bother people much

PrinceBrightstar
May 8, 2006, 03:45 AM
What's really stupid is the fact that game companies apparently have no idea what the system's capabilities are. JUST USE A USB STICK FOR PATCHES.

sami_pso
May 8, 2006, 07:53 AM
whats the size of 1 memory card anyway?

anyway i bet ST already got something for this..either new memory cards or just no updates.
but why updates on the client and not on server?

kassy
May 8, 2006, 08:10 AM
The standard official PS2 card is 8MB

Reystradamus
May 8, 2006, 09:25 AM
i dont think ST will screw as most of u believe...they been workin on this game for like 2 years i believe......i think it was smart for them 2 release it on the ps2...who says that everybody is gonna get a ps3 when it comes out???....the safest bet was 2 put it on ps2.....i say lets wait till the game is released be4 people start complaining and biotchin.

RoninJoku
May 8, 2006, 09:48 AM
Not saying they would do this, but theoretically couldn't they do content updates for PC owners and just not allow access to the new content much like V.1 playing with V.2 (or even more drastically, with GC as well if you know what I mean)? I mean if there were new areas, simply bar PS2 users from going... And if a PC user had a new weapon, it would display as a special "placeholder" graphic for the PS2 user...

I realize that would be pretty unfair to PS2 players... But it's unfair to PC users not to realize it's full potenital... Who knows, maybe they could support content updates for PS2 users through periodic content discs, or HD or even USB download support... I dunno, I was just wondering if they could do it...

kassy
May 8, 2006, 10:13 AM
On 2006-05-08 07:48, RurouniJoku wrote:
Not saying they would do this, but theoretically couldn't they do content updates for PC owners and just not allow access to the new content much like V.1 playing with V.2 (or even more drastically, with GC as well if you know what I mean)? I mean if there were new areas, simply bar PS2 users from going... And if a PC user had a new weapon, it would display as a special "placeholder" graphic for the PS2 user...

I realize that would be pretty unfair to PS2 players... But it's unfair to PC users not to realize it's full potenital... Who knows, maybe they could support content updates for PS2 users through periodic content discs, or HD or even USB download support... I dunno, I was just wondering if they could do it...

Yep, all possible, they could have new clothes/ weapons visible on the PC version and PS2 users would just see a stock or old weapon/clothes model/texture.

If they did that though can you imagine the amount of PS2 users who would complain? Boards would be flooded with angry fanboys, haha, I can live without new content added to the game, a game either has that option or it doesn't, in this case because of no HDD, PSU won't have that option, fine.

It's the fact that when/if cheating/exploits arise will no HDD support affect ST patching it? is 8MB enough? but of course that as hangs on whether or not ST will actually patch PSU at all, I mean look at their past history; they either don't patch a bug at all, patch it far too late or make things worse when they do patch something. Lol@SonicTeam

Wavey
May 8, 2006, 11:05 AM
I know people are wanting new content, like maps etc. But lets think. Did PSO have these? no. Did PSO have as many levels, actual planets, graphics, etc as PSU? no. I think its going to be fine. We will be addicited to this just like pso. I am shure there will be things released later. And that will feel like new content. In fact we should be moaning WHEN the game is released. Like shade~ says, new content is for PSU ver 2 : brand new planet we accidently missed!!

StarLionsX
May 8, 2006, 12:26 PM
So true Wavey.

Oji_Retta
May 8, 2006, 01:01 PM
I can't imagine seeing any new areas (not on disk) anyhow. Everything on the planets is already in offline mode I would think. The only way, I suppose, would be the sudden appearance of a new planet. I can't imagine new enemies either really. I'd think they are indigenous (besides SEED which is already on the disk) or something like that. The only new materials I can imagine being added to the game at this point somewhere down the line would be clothes and new weapons/weapon styles (I'm even doubtful of that. I think all the options are already coded and that there a lot locked in the disk).

Saiffy
May 8, 2006, 01:18 PM
The way download quests worked with PSO was simple, they downloaded to the memory card of choice and you could load the quest from either memory card inserted. Perhaps you'll have to buy another memory card for downloadable content. I don't imagine a lot of stuff being too big either way, though.

For the record, the biggest quest file is 91.7 KB with both parts. And that is Seat of the Heart.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saiffy on 2006-05-08 11:19 ]</font>

kassy
May 8, 2006, 01:45 PM
I for one hope we don't see a "PSU version 2 episode 4 slash B"

I simply won't be buying another Phantasy star game after PSU unless it's a true sequel, I don't want to be playing a rehashed version of PSU(like we are with Blue Burst) in 2012 thank you very much http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

shinobu_seta
May 8, 2006, 02:55 PM
Server side patches don't exist anymore?

True, without a hard drive or sorts, we wont see anything hugely added (like an episode 4-ish addition), however they can still patch for cheats and things.

Zelutos
May 8, 2006, 03:13 PM
On 2006-05-07 18:09, _Tek_ wrote:
Problem is sony's stuff has a good chance of screwing up. So you might end up buying another card anyways,.

I've never had that problem.

shinobu_seta
May 8, 2006, 03:20 PM
Sony is becomming a little more known for breaking hardware than anyone else is though. True there are lots of people who can say nothing has ever gone wrong with their stuff, myself included, however I have at least 3 friends who have burnt out PS2's. Not necessarily from playing them all the time either.......they just don't make a very solid product.

This is getting off subject though, sorry ^_^;

-Klaus-
May 8, 2006, 04:09 PM
On 2006-05-07 18:09, Alexandrious wrote:
Better question, why couldnt they have just waited and released it for the PS3 instead? sighs -_-

If they did that then we wouldnt have all this complaining ya?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alexandrious on 2006-05-07 18:09 ]</font>

Actually,

i was thinking they'll release it for the PS2...but when the PS3 comes out, they'll start making patches ect because they figure the PS2 owners will just move to PS3. But that's just my opinion. >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: -Klaus- on 2006-05-08 14:11 ]</font>