PDA

View Full Version : Don't Fear the Reaper

A2K
May 7, 2006, 09:37 PM
Or is there a reason to? What happens when your HP goes to zero, aside from taking a bit of a nap? Drop/unequip anything? Lose some EXP?

Tystys
May 7, 2006, 09:53 PM
I certainly hope not! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

StarLionsX
May 7, 2006, 10:04 PM
Hmmm...yeah what happens?

Axios-
May 7, 2006, 10:08 PM
I heard that there isn't a penalty in the typical sense that we're used to like in PSO, but since someone died you'll receive a lower grade at the end of the run and thus gain less class exp. Someone who has actually played can probably clarify and elaborate.

pineapple
May 7, 2006, 10:17 PM
I almost wish the days of weapon dropping would make a comeback. Seriously though, what were they thinking with that?
I'm glad someone had the forethought to as this question.

Dre_o
May 7, 2006, 10:18 PM
From the data I've gathered, I'm pretty sure Axios is close to the truth (saying that no Beta people have responded) but I also believe dying will lower the money you will get in the end.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

therealAERO
May 7, 2006, 10:22 PM
If you die you lose rank and you lose money. Dying totally sucks in this game. You are always fearing for your life when you are a an A rank mission boss or something. Cause if there is one death...well there goes your S rank complete. You get -300 points for dying

Kano-Okami
May 7, 2006, 10:41 PM
Wow, death penalties...this IS very similiar to Monster Hunter. I believe it was a -500g reduction for every death, except, that game was alot strickter..only allowing 3 deaths maximum for the party. Anything over that ends the quest...so atleast you get to finish the mission here http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

uhawww
May 7, 2006, 10:54 PM
There's nothing worse than losing cash for dying...
(well maybe losing your weapon, lol), and hearing reports of how difficult getting money can be, this will add a little more challenge, seeing as there are so many moments in original PSO where suicide is just a given.

PS: This thread needs more cowbell

vitius137
May 7, 2006, 10:56 PM
i guess thats enough to keep forces healing, but some might try to continue hogging exp or something. ill just cry about it, then worry about what the game will be like when it comes out http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif .......i mean... :'(

VelosofLight
May 7, 2006, 10:57 PM
As long as you can deposit money, that's really not a problem.

Kimil
May 7, 2006, 11:31 PM
On 2006-05-07 20:57, VelosofLight wrote:
As long as you can deposit money, that's really not a problem.

No, you're thinking that you loose the money you already have by dieing, like in PSO GC/XB. They mean the prize money at the end of the mission is taken away bit by bit per death. So depositing wouldn't effect this loss

_Tek_
May 7, 2006, 11:33 PM
Yeah, and there isn't much to pick off the ground during the mission.

A2K
May 7, 2006, 11:42 PM
Moon Atomizers and Reverser are still in the game, I assume? Are you revived to full heath, or something less?

Alexandrious
May 8, 2006, 03:27 AM
On 2006-05-07 20:17, pineapple wrote:
I almost wish the days of weapon dropping would make a comeback. Seriously though, what were they thinking with that?
I'm glad someone had the forethought to as this question.

.....no -_-

Ether
May 8, 2006, 03:41 AM
Honestly I think this is the best death penalty they've come up with yet, exp loss sucks and makes people paranoid, and dropping your weapon was just flat out cruel given the terrible drop rates on dreamcast pso.

The difference is that in this you lose potential exp, that you havent actually earned yet. If you ask someone to help with a difficult mission, you probably wont get a "Sorry I'm really close to level and don't want to die" Going on a difficult mission may not yield a very large reward at the end, but you will never start out worse than when you started

kassy
May 8, 2006, 07:18 AM
Death penalties are needed in a team based game, it sucked in PSO v.1 because everyone just played with cr@p weapons for fear of thieves but eventually everyone just didn't care because everything was duped so much.

The cash loss sucked in PSO GC because there was no fear of death, making anything easy if you just brought moons, and PSO BB, well that was a step in the right direction imo but there's too many cheap one hit deaths as well as those dastardly bug deaths for it to be considered a balanced/fair system.

SO um, yeah, hopefully PSU’s system ftw?

oShojino
May 8, 2006, 12:28 PM
In a sense PSU is like monster hunter, each death brings your rank down.. 1 death A rank, 2 deaths B Rank 3 deaths C rank.. and all the beta testers know how much c rank sucks.. no meseta.. 2 class points (compared to the 16 you get with S Rank, on a A rank mission).. So after 3 deaths your better off ending the mission and starting over, unless you want base level experience. Also, moons atomizers and reverser/res do not erase a deaths penalty from the mission, however a scape doll does.

I like this system more as well, instead of losing what you already have you lose what you could potentially gain. This also motivates people to stick with a mission from beginning to end, if you join late you dont get as many rank points. The only reason to join late would be to get exp I suppose.

DeathMachine
May 8, 2006, 06:01 PM
On 2006-05-07 20:54, uhawww wrote:
PS: This thread needs more cowbell

O.o What the......

Yes, this new penalty system is exquisite(sp?). No theft, no "as long as i r t3h force, no worries! I revive j00. now give 2k meseta!" and no more people complaining over "they might take our experience and de-level us!" Thank you ST. You've done another thing right...

mech259_
May 8, 2006, 06:12 PM
I really like the PSU system so far. It's nice that you can never lose anything by dying, just miss out on getting a good reward. And even if you don't get a high reward, you still don't miss out on the normal exp that you get from killing monsters.

Faltz
May 8, 2006, 07:00 PM
I"m really pleased about the death penalty. Losing your weapon and your money sucked. Also I like how at the end of the mission you get a reward too

REJ-
May 8, 2006, 08:35 PM
This is another step forward for ST. Why didn't they think of this for PSO?

linkzone
May 8, 2006, 08:35 PM
so when you die you dont lose anything but money right? and people cant steal your stuff no more right?

mech259_
May 8, 2006, 08:37 PM
On 2006-05-08 18:35, linkzone wrote:
so when you die you dont lose anything but money right? and people cant steal your stuff no more right?

You don't lose money. You just miss out on getting more money at the end of the mission, as well as job level exp.

vitius137
May 8, 2006, 08:53 PM
this is great, if you are close to the end and someone dies then no one will wanna leave cuz they're so close to getting the final reward even though it's less than it could potentially be.

if someone does leave do you get more points/money because theres less people to divide between?

oShojino
May 8, 2006, 09:18 PM
On 2006-05-08 18:53, vitius137 wrote:
this is great, if you are close to the end and someone dies then no one will wanna leave cuz they're so close to getting the final reward even though it's less than it could potentially be.

if someone does leave do you get more points/money because theres less people to divide between?

It doesn't matter if theres one person or 6 people, the reward for the ranks is always the same. However, if the person that leaves started the mission at the beginning, if they try to come back they wont get the s rank reward. I believe it would be bad if the points increased/decreased based on the number of members, as that would encourage more people to play in locked games for a better reward and kick people alot more.

vitius137
May 8, 2006, 11:03 PM
good point.

DeathMachine
May 9, 2006, 12:11 AM
Thank you Sonic Team. You've done somthing everyone can agree on

PhotonCat
May 13, 2006, 01:45 AM
I was wondering about the DP myself and just found this topic.

I would rather no penalty at all. In these types of games you die a lot - I don't want to be punished for it. Also, it makes players not want to take risks which makes them want to go too slow and it gets to be un-fun.

But I guess after doing the missions over and over and exping, it will gain fast just the same.

Tystys
May 13, 2006, 09:00 AM
On 2006-05-08 22:11, DeathMachine wrote:
Thank you Sonic Team. You've done somthing everyone can agree on

Can't tell if that's sarcasm or not...

chibiLegolas
May 13, 2006, 10:42 AM
Alright! This makes missions sound more and more fun to play!
What would make missions even more fun now, is if it's time based. The faster you get it done, the higher the rank.
Kinda like cmode.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
I like the extra added insentive to hurry up at all costs. Keeps ya on your toes, you know? And makes you think twice if it's worth it to go after boxes, side rooms, puzzles 'n stuff.

Lyrise
May 13, 2006, 10:48 AM
On 2006-05-13 08:42, chibiLegolas wrote:

What would make missions even more fun now, is if it's time based. The faster you get it done, the higher the rank.
Kinda like cmode.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
I like the extra added insentive to hurry up at all costs. Keeps ya on your toes, you know? And makes you think twice if it's worth it to go after boxes, side rooms, puzzles 'n stuff.

There are time based misions in game as well. Granted in beta, there was only 1 mission like that.

What I liked about time-based missions is that unlike the standard ones, you don't have to kill everything. That got really annoying when you have to deliberately run into a dead-end halfway across the map just so you can KO a few monsters.

Number of deaths and ratio of (total time spent in mission/Mission time elapsed) still affects your end grade though. So getting killed is one way to miss out on your end grade, respawning into the nearest town/outpost just doubles the effect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyrise on 2006-05-13 08:50 ]</font>