PDA

View Full Version : Phantasy Star Universe Roleplay

Oji_Retta
May 10, 2006, 07:09 PM
I, for one, am quite fed up with the state of MMORPGs (and anything that is near that category). I think roleplaying is key to enjoying these types of games. You don't get bored so fast. But what I see kind of bothers me. People go around just lvling and getting items/rares and currency and then get bored after that. lol I think the games, regardless of their online status, are called roleplaying for a reason. ^_^

RFB
May 10, 2006, 07:14 PM
I tried roleplaying, back in WoW. In one of the RP servers.
I tried both sides, Alliance and Horde.

Never more. Wisest decission I ever made in that game, was to reroll on a PvP server.

I respect roleplayers, if they enjoy the game more that way, it is their right to roleplay, but it just isnt something I enjoy. I pretty much dislike it.

Sgt_Shligger
May 10, 2006, 07:15 PM
I have never really tried to roleplay much. The idea of an RPG was to sort-of be that person for awhile. It makes since that people fight monsters and what not. The role playing you talk about is more like acting out a certain person. I might do that but it is highly unlikely... when I am very bored maybe...

pineapple
May 10, 2006, 07:19 PM
I may. It sounds fun in theory, but unless they make a roleplaying server it is going to be hard to get with other roleplayers.

Faltz
May 10, 2006, 07:21 PM
I will definitly, may not say it outloud in game, but it does give me ideas for my mangas.

Neith
May 10, 2006, 07:22 PM
No, I won't be RP'ing, I don't think it's fun at all.

I just play for the sake of being with good friends, not to RP..

I don't have anything against people who do roleplay, but I won't be doing it myself.

Kalamari
May 10, 2006, 07:24 PM
No thanks, I for one am bothered by the roleplaying I see on FFXI. People always end up getting married to find out that their wife is played by a dude....Freaky

Oji_Retta
May 10, 2006, 07:26 PM
Now that is why I never RP romance. lol

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oji_Retta on 2006-05-10 17:27 ]</font>

Axios-
May 10, 2006, 07:29 PM
I respect roleplayers, if they enjoy the game more that way, it is their right to roleplay, but it just isnt something I enjoy. I pretty much dislike it.

What he said.

I like just playing with the community rather than their characters, basically.

Sev
May 10, 2006, 07:32 PM
You have to think about RP in different ways though.

Number one... I don't really like to "lol" on my main character. I normally use "Heh" and such. I don't make faces like ">.> <.< ^o^" and things of that nature... But sometimes on other characters I will. I guess you can consider that being in role, it can also change depending on mood. But when you make a character you're technically in character as it is. It's not like they're calling you by your real name, and it's not like to many of them know the real you. However you act, can very well not be how you are in real life. Seriously, how much 1337 do you hear spoken in real life?

And how many times do you wanna kick the person saying it in the chest and or throat?

Axios-
May 10, 2006, 07:35 PM
What do faces like ">.> <.< ^o^" have to do with roleplaying?

RFB
May 10, 2006, 07:39 PM
On 2006-05-10 17:32, Sev wrote:

Number one... I don't really like to "lol" on my main character. I normally use "Heh" and such. I don't make faces like ">.> <.< ^o^" and things of that nature... But sometimes on other characters I will. I guess you can consider that being in role, it can also change depending on mood.

You know, something like that happens to me too, but only in PSO/PSU. When I switch character, I automatically act a little bit different, as if adapting to the feel that I want my character to have, but without actually roleplaying.

But it really weirds me out, that this has only happened to me in PSO/PSU...

Zorafim
May 10, 2006, 08:10 PM
The most role playing I'll do in game is the amount I do in real life.

I may let a "nyo" or "kupo" slip, or act a bit differently than normal, but I won't go running around saying "Look at me! I'm an elf!" or anything of that nature.

zandra117
May 10, 2006, 08:13 PM
I will roleplay in PSU, I already do it in PSO, I dont really "become" my character(I might act a tiny bit different though), I just act like myself and at the same time look at the game as If it is a real place. In other words, I dont think of any online game as a game because I am not just playing with AI, Im dealing with real people behind their avatars. It is best for me to follow the same basic rules that I would in real life.

MXdude
May 10, 2006, 08:28 PM
On 2006-05-10 17:32, Sev wrote:
how much 1337 do you hear spoken in real life?

And how many times do you wanna kick the person saying it in the chest and or throat?

How can you HEAR l337 O.o?

Tystys
May 10, 2006, 08:29 PM
Meh, Roleplaying sounds fun...for about a couple of days. I havn't really tried role playing in a game where you're already technically roleplaying. -_-.
And yes...I like using the O_O and -_- faces, heheh

Roken
May 10, 2006, 08:34 PM
I have a full bio and all for FFXI, but barely RP since many dont. I do small RP, such as small quotes in macros such as "Come Forth!", no one seems to be bothered with things such as that, since it isnt full blown sentences covering the entire screen and all, that may just be how I'll do when PSU comes out.

Zorafim
May 10, 2006, 09:26 PM
You don't want to know.

Dahilia
May 10, 2006, 10:56 PM
I'll roleplay in PSU. In PSO, I usually kept it limited to friends who ran with me since there were so few RPers around, so I'll probably start out this way in PSU. Yet, I'd be open to anyone else outside my group who does; I always like meeting new RPers.

It'll add more entertainment to the game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dahilia on 2006-05-10 20:58 ]</font>

VAL-0251
May 10, 2006, 11:09 PM
I'll roleplay. I roleplayed in PSO with my friends, and had a good time. I roleplayed in World of Warcraft, and that was a pretty good time, too, as long as I was discerning about what I did and who with. One of the reasons many people get turned off to roleplay as a whole is that they don't fall in a crowd they can agree with on their first few tries. Considering most roleplayers can't agree on anything, that's a major problem.

And, I like calling human players "Carbon-creeps". Some of the reactions can be very amusing.

Dahilia
May 10, 2006, 11:33 PM
On 2006-05-10 21:09, VAL-0251 wrote:
One of the reasons many people get turned off to roleplay as a whole is that they don't fall in a crowd they can agree with on their first few tries. Considering most roleplayers can't agree on anything, that's a major problem.

VAL is one of my friends I RPed with. Thank you for adding tha part; I forgot.

It's often people will get thrown off by RPing from those that take it way too seriously, or, worse yet, the "bleeders" - those who mix their RP with reality and let their personal feelings get involved.

Those are the kind we avoid becoming and playing with; in fact, everyone should avoid turning into that.

_Tek_
May 11, 2006, 12:53 AM
I will act like how I feel.

Just exaggerate, but not really give my character a real past or history or something.

mostly just chat and act normal mostly.

Oji_Retta
May 11, 2006, 07:45 AM
I hope that when the game comes out an RPer directory is created so I don't have to go around asking people if they want to RP. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

DarK-SuN
May 11, 2006, 08:46 AM
I'll roleplay.
Already did in PSO (with friends and known RPers), I'll continue with PSU.

chibiLegolas
May 11, 2006, 12:04 PM
I've played D&D (pen/paper) for many years now and playing PSO feels totally different for me since I don't really know the lore of the Phantasy Star Games in general. That, and I'm used to having a DM around to further discribe things when asked and interact with NPC's for story elements. I loved the concept of the Never Winter Knights PC game. But PSO is totally different and lacking, no?

What I usually do though is recreate my old D&D characters in PSO (hence my user name title). Quote tendants my character would normally say as a quick key phrase and on my Guild Card memo.
But as for actual game play out on the field, it's all me as a player reacting, not as my character.
I suppose I'd be more in character if my teammates were in their roles as well. But that's not common.

Sev
May 11, 2006, 12:12 PM
I don't really think there will be any type of space reserved for RP. Really the best way to do it is to set up polls and then set up a list of characters that actually RP. Well... Maybe. Sounds like alotta work to me, so I don't see myself EVER doing something remotely like that.

You can speak 1337... If you've never heard someone say "ZOMG" out loud then I'm happy for you. I really am. And as far as using faces go... I just don't. It's part of my thing. If you have a certain type of character or personallity for the character your using... You just normally won't use things like that.

Granted, if I see a huge RACast suddenly making kitty faces it'll give me a good laugh.

That's besides the point though. For certain characters I simply don't act a certain way. It's no different then how I am in real life. I won't act certain ways around certain people, and for good reason. This is the same, but it's a little different. With each character I give off a different impression. But if you lump it all up... You'll just end up with how I act in real life. That's I different story though, and I'm completely off topic. Basically though, I just won't act a certain way on a certain character.

If you find it wierd then you find it wierd. It's nothin heavy, and it doesn't come to affect the way that I play the game. It's just how I act, and it actually leads to more entertaining moments when I'm with friends or random people who don't understand the way I act.

My character... Characters... Whatever you consider it does have a certain backstory already. So basically, I just play into that. Since it's already part of a story, unless I simply use different characters to me, it would seem strange not to act the same way.

VAL-0251
May 11, 2006, 12:27 PM
On 2006-05-11 05:45, Oji_Retta wrote:
I hope that when the game comes out an RPer directory is created so I don't have to go around asking people if they want to RP.
If nothing else, I intend to do this when the game comes out, in addition to asking people to post two second blurbs about their character.

The blurbs aren't so much something to say "good story" on, but more to gauge the kind of roleplayer. My own character, VAL, is an ex-slave who is burningly racist toward humans and, to a lesser extent, Newmans. MANY people cannot deal with a character that has faults like that; other roleplayers might try roleplaying a character who is blind or deaf and take note of how many people can't adapt to that. They will see that VAL is not perfect, or even very pleasant at times, and stay away.

Conversely, I will see "mary-sue" characters and avoid them. The reason I mention all this is just to stress again...if you're going to roleplay, be very careful of who you get in deep with. It's only good sense for your happiness and theirs.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VAL-0251 on 2006-05-11 10:27 ]</font>

Reystradamus
May 11, 2006, 12:52 PM
Wow..that is all i have 2 say

Nedeti
May 11, 2006, 12:54 PM
roleplaying on the matrix online was that bomb (><)

i was always on top of buildings looking cool with my hacking skills talking has if the matrix would soon die.

on PSU hm... Nedeti is realy like me, we have bigger eyes then our pockets

voxie
May 11, 2006, 01:13 PM
Meh, I just be myself. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

sami_pso
May 11, 2006, 03:16 PM
whats roleplaying on a roleplaying game anyway?

Sev
May 11, 2006, 05:14 PM
On 2006-05-11 13:16, sami_pso wrote:

Good point. Most people have their own opinion of it. Most people just figure weird things right off... It all depends. Most people on the internet are in character anyway. Not everyone would say out loud what they type into text. And not everyone would say something to their boss that they'd say to a friend over Teamspeak.

Oji_Retta
May 11, 2006, 05:18 PM
On 2006-05-11 13:16, sami_pso wrote:

I am sure you've played at least one RPG. Rolpeplaying is playing a character, not yourself. I was talking about the fact the PSU is a MORPG/MMORPG and that it is hard to find people that are actually playing roles in this genre. People just play with the community. I'm not saying that is wrong, but the game IS a roleplaying game. If it is dominantly nonRPers, the name of the genre should be changed to MMOG/MOG for (Massively) Multiplayer Online Game. ^_^

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Oji_Retta on 2006-05-11 15:30 ]</font>

RedX
May 11, 2006, 05:28 PM
I will be role-playing. Never tried in a game but I do on forums so it should be no problem.

Dahilia
May 11, 2006, 06:00 PM
A directory integrated into the game WOULD be nice, or a tag to define roleplayers, at least.
While I can't see that happening (though I'm always open to being surprised), a section on the official English site, or an unofficial website dedicated to getting PSU RPers to meet up, is a great idea.

RFB
May 11, 2006, 06:37 PM
I wouldnt expect any ingame, or for that matter, official RP identification system, or anything of the like. There wasnt in PSO, there wasnt in the PSU beta, I certainly doubt there'll be one on release.

You could use Guild Cards, tho, you can write in it that you are a Roleplayer, should suffice, at least between friends.

Rurisho
May 11, 2006, 07:05 PM
For me, speaking as my character would is perfectly enough roleplay. And since most of my characters are just facets of my own persona anyway, that's never too hard. It's only when people go overboard with super mega secret god characters and talk too much or refuse to act within believable parameters that RP in games becomes a bore.

Xerkxes
May 11, 2006, 10:14 PM
I'm probably going to Roleplay once I get the game (and a job & method of paying so I can play oneline. which I'm getting both soon)
I already have ideas for characters for myself in my head with background stories and goals...I'm all set....just....have to wait for the game.....

Dragon_Knight
May 11, 2006, 11:30 PM
Sadly my extent of "roleplaying" mearly goes to writing a story for whatever character I have. While I do have certian ways I think they would act (I've always hated how Sara could never do the more mature looking male actions in a game, I simply HATE the girl actions as they remind me of a 8 year old girl and not a grown up woman) I only express it so far. Mostly when wondering around in the game I am my self...I have little need to be "Sara" or "D. Knight" even though they have a background story (which I have yet to write) and are in fact different from me, I never express that in the game.

And before anyone asks...yes D. Knight is suppose to be me and how I see myself, but no, mary sueing myself into the story just doesn't make it intresting...believe me I tried and even I didn't like the result.

ANIMEniac
May 12, 2006, 01:52 AM
i kinda always roleplay on the x-box. when one thinks about it is hard not to rp with players when u have a mic. first, when people call your characters name, it is an auto reponse to answer to it as if it were your own. 2nd during quests or tuff times, we tend to talk like we are really there concerned with the events, if it is easy then we might talk about other things. well ither way RP is almost accidental with a mic, but maybe more effort when typing. all and all, i might RP but with mics there will be less need to "try"

Edin
May 12, 2006, 07:00 AM
I dont mind RPing, heck with some games it makes it better. I just hope no one comes up to me saying that ther looking for the bodie of Jimmy Huffa. (SP?)

Rihcky
May 12, 2006, 07:17 AM
If there are people roleplaying I'll go with, it's fun I guess. Since I'll be playing on the 360 it's almost unavoidable.
As ^ANIMEniac said, when you play with a mic roleplaying pretty much comes natural.

It will be weird with the voicechat though, cause main character will probably be female.

HatMaster
May 12, 2006, 01:07 PM
As someone said before, my roleplaying will be simply acting as I would imagine my character would act. When I finally get PSU, I plan to make a Newman Force who's extremely pompous and enjoys blowing things up (think Black Mage from 8Bit, minus the always getting screwed by the universe). When I interact with people online, that will be the type of persona I'll be putting forth. But, you see, that persona is basically me when I'm playing video games. My usual quote? "Let's go blow something up and then I'll beat you down."

So, in a way, I'm roleplaying. In reality, however, I'm just taking one facet of my personality, exaggerating it and placing it online disguised as an angry-looking Newman.

Zarbolord
May 12, 2006, 01:24 PM
I think roleplaying is basically having fun using your capabilities as your character. All you need is to have fun, be with people and interact, kinda like going to the pub and drinking 'till your out of this world, but in a fantastic world, where all troubles of usual life can be put aside and playing with friends, (blowing things up too, I like doing that with FOmar...), is(are) the most important thing(s).

Saner
May 27, 2006, 04:17 PM
Without roleplaying, people are missing a important part of these games,

and those types will end up getting bored fast, since without RPing, their experience is merely just a treasure hunt without a soul.

Axios-
May 27, 2006, 04:36 PM
On 2006-05-27 14:17, Saner wrote:
Without roleplaying, people are missing a important part of these games,

and those types will end up getting bored fast, since without RPing, their experience is merely just a treasure hunt without a soul.

Bzzzt! Wrong.

NightHour13
May 27, 2006, 05:16 PM
It's tough really. i love RP'ing, though it is a bit difficult to pull off when 90% of the people dont do it. I guess we'll have to stick to groups that you know if you want to RP.

Personally my attitude is that of the character i made myself out to be. I'd rather talk and act out somthing different then my real life, cause real life is boring.

I dont think any one here would want to hear me speak my mind normally, so just be happy i decide to act like somthing else hahah. I never RP romance, thats rediculus (spelled wrong and everything).

Stray_Mag
May 27, 2006, 06:09 PM
I second that. Back in FFXI, I was in a Role Playing Linkshell (Community) but people quickly became distracted by constant leveling, leaving very little time to do any RPing whatsoever. The linkshell numbers dwindled from 20+ to 2, the linkshell creator and myself ; ;...

Saner
May 27, 2006, 10:51 PM
Bzzzt! Wrong.

who are you to say what's right or wrong. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

Saner
May 27, 2006, 11:07 PM
On 2006-05-27 16:09, Stray_Mag wrote:
I second that. Back in FFXI, I was in a Role Playing Linkshell (Community) but people quickly became distracted by constant leveling, leaving very little time to do any RPing whatsoever. The linkshell numbers dwindled from 20+ to 2, the linkshell creator and myself ; ;...

ya when they treat the game like a routine, they have nothing to hold on to except their goals and that's it.

Some feel too ashamed to role play or they don't know how to balance fantasy with reality so they can have fun while not taking it so personally.

Perhaps they just don't know where and how to direct their feelings or the feelings or their character, and think too hard on what there is 'to gain' from all this. It doesn't take much to RP and still progress in what you're aiming for.

Many don't understand role playing so they probably shouldn't even try. It's just too bad they are missing out on the 'essence' of a role-playing experience. I mean it's a major part of why we even bother playing these games. But 'they' can't even understand something as simple as that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Axios-
May 27, 2006, 11:39 PM
You're wrong to say that people will get bored if they don't roleplay. I don't roleplay, and I don't get bored any easier than the next guy. For me, it's about community, not roleplaying. People will play the game for whatever reasons they choose. Don't assume that every person who doesn't agree with you is getting any less of an experience, and don't stereotype.

Saner
May 28, 2006, 12:11 AM
On 2006-05-27 21:39, Axios- wrote:
You're wrong to say that people will get bored if they don't roleplay. I don't roleplay, and I don't get bored any easier than the next guy. For me, it's about community, not roleplaying. People will play the game for whatever reasons they choose. Don't assume that every person who doesn't agree with you is getting any less of an experience, and don't stereotype.

I didn't mean all of those types would get bored, although it seemed to sound that way.

ya community was one word I was looking for, and is a good alternative to concentrated roleplaying.

it's not so much about roleplaying as much it is about the social atmosphere of your experience with the game online with others. That was the point that was tricky to bring out.

NightHour13
May 28, 2006, 12:42 AM
Well hey, end all be all; i'll be more then happy to play with all the RPers on Pso-world. Im sure everyones got an awesome story to tell and a personal goal they wish to get to.

If you dont like to RP, then by all means don't and vica versa.

As a fellow RPer i can see what Saner is trying to say. Its an entirely different atmosphere IF your into it. If not, then you usually walk out scratching your head and vowing to kill every last one of us...Or somthing along those lines.

Axios-
May 28, 2006, 01:08 AM
On 2006-05-27 22:11, Saner wrote:

On 2006-05-27 21:39, Axios- wrote:

I didn't mean all of those types would get bored, although it seemed to sound that way.

ya community was one word I was looking for, and is a good alternative to concentrated roleplaying.

it's not so much about roleplaying as much it is about the social atmosphere of your experience with the game online with others. That was the point that was tricky to bring out.

Ok, thank you. It sounded like you were demeaning non-RPers. Thanks for clearing that up.

TheGreyCliche
May 28, 2006, 02:03 AM
i absoluetely roleplay, i even avoid using the voice chat most of the time. i usually stick to preset sentences and what not based off of my character. for instance, i had a few characters based off of the heroes from "Skies of Arcadia". so i for one enjoy it, but it doesn't bother me when others don't.

Tycho
May 28, 2006, 02:56 AM
I'll probably give my Cast funky shortcuts in (Japanese) leet to emphasize his wackiness, though I wouldn't use them much. But still, really, what's more fun than to just roleplay yourself? If that's not interesting enough, then maybe change yourself. XP

Uri
May 28, 2006, 01:05 PM
I may roleplay some in PSU. Though I'll probably end up playing it like I played PSO. The funnest thing about PSO wasn't about roleplaying but about playing a fun game with good friends.

Keyeszx
May 28, 2006, 05:14 PM
just believe in l337

Stray_Mag
May 28, 2006, 05:53 PM
I'm with NightHour and Saner. After its 3rd anniversery, virtually every FFXI player was at End Game. If anything, this should have broken the cycle of Obsessive EXP Disorder, but any cure failed to surface. The in game missions seemed like an interesting means of immersing your character into a storyline, but I like many others found myself hammering the X button to skip through vital cinematics and Cut Sceens. Half the walkthroughs on Missions primarily focus on what to do rather than the plot of the game. You could ask any Rank 10 (all missions completed) "What happens in the storyline?" And they could only answer "uhh... I did it for this item..."

I've been keeping my Release Date Anticipation at bay by playing the .hack// series. I'd do just about anything to have PSU RPing like that of .hack// ; ;

If anyone *hint hint* wants to start some RPing group, count me in. End Game boredom is the last thing I ever want to experience (again...)

Lunar-Wolf
May 28, 2006, 07:17 PM
I may role play... to a point, my character has a personality that is similar to mine anyway so that wont be hard, although I would say his persona is slightly darker/colder than mine.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lunar-Wolf on 2006-05-28 17:20 ]</font>

Dahilia
May 30, 2006, 03:53 PM
Hm, at this rate, a site/forum dedicated to PSU (and maybe any other Phantasy Star series) roleplaying seems like it REALLY would be the best thing, considering the mixed views here.

No, not restricting it to the site/forum for roleplay, but the website can be used as a connection place as well as a place of extended roleplay outside the game. I've probably said this before, but now, it sounds like a very good idea. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Oji_Retta
May 31, 2006, 04:39 PM
I suppose I could make one, but it would only be a listing and a loose forum. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif I'm not a fan of RPing in forums so much so I wouldn't set aything up really. I'd let the mods handle it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif I'm still thinking about it.

HiKeRI
May 31, 2006, 08:32 PM
Roleplaying for me means roleplaying, Get Rich, Get Rares, Lv up when you lv up you role play because you... Adventure, explore, and do missions so... Even getting rares makes you role play because... when you do missions you find rares.. What makes the game survive from not getting bored is not getting repetitive.

justinbrady
May 31, 2006, 08:34 PM
roleplaying gives another section of the game to explore...and enriches and brings the world of PS alive. everyone should TRY roleplaying..along with everything else.

HiKeRI
May 31, 2006, 08:37 PM
Roleplaying is the same thing as that lol, or it'll be like this "Hey bob you want to explore to this [city] or [area] BOB: I've been there already found a rare, the place looks ok...

Nuclearranger
May 31, 2006, 08:40 PM
I accualy herd a few people saying stuff like I R Uba and i R 1337 in a MCdonalds once lol

HiKeRI
May 31, 2006, 08:43 PM
lmao I R Pw0z5@ y0 A B47l@ hjgfdsvjudshfvkujh wierd people

justinbrady
May 31, 2006, 08:46 PM
On 2006-05-31 18:37, HiKeRI wrote:
Roleplaying is the same thing as that lol, or it'll be like this "Hey bob you want to explore to this [city] or [area] BOB: I've been there already found a rare, the place looks ok...

what are you talking about lol

HiKeRI
May 31, 2006, 08:48 PM
ITS BOB man BOB

justinbrady
May 31, 2006, 08:50 PM
rofl k