PDA

View Full Version : Human/Newman/Beast/Cast Differences

Kyuu
May 12, 2006, 02:02 AM
Although I'm unfortunate enough to not live in Japan and so could not participate in the closed beta, I have read a lot about how the classes work now. It seems that a lot of the uniqueness has gone away as well, and it's mostly just a difference in stats.

My question to anyone who played the beta is: do the different races/genders handle significantly differently from one other to enhance the uniqueness of your choice? (For example: how they handle their weapons, the feel and rhythm of their combos, combat animations, etc.)

Also, am I perhaps misreading, and the new class system does in fact offer a similar level of uniqueness as the old PSO system?

Edit: I'm not actually 100% new to these forums, it's just been long enough since I was an active member of the PSO playerbase that I'd forgotten my nickname/password, so I had to create a new one. ><

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-05-12 00:04 ]</font>

Itsuki
May 12, 2006, 03:16 AM
There is a certain level of uniqueness to different race/class combinations just going off of the stats. But its not too too apparent.

For example, although a FOcast or a FObeast may initially look relatively worthless, they actually have their own role. While they can't come close to the damage output of a FOnewearl, they can take hits far far better. This makes it seem like in the final version of the game, they'd be great supportive casters. Theres no way a FOnewm(earl) could slip into a mob and buff a group. But a FOcast could probably do it with ease. Same goes for healing. A FObeast is probably also the closest to a battle mage we'll get. I don't think a FObeast would be particularly horrible alternating a melee weapon, and a FOcast could probably pull of handgun/cane quite well.

Taking something like RA, a low ATA RAbeast probably won't be sporting all the rifles and such because of its low ATA. It'd probably be more likely to be, again, a more supportive RA. Perhaps choosing double handguns and mechguns over rifles and shotguns.

Some classes seem to have a questions still up in the air. Unless they give MST based photon arts, then a HUnewm(earl) would only be chosen for the aesthetic value.

Kyuu
May 12, 2006, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the info, and you touched on a subject that concerns me.

Namely, it seems like being a newman hunter will have no advantages and be merely a cosmetic choice, as you said. Will having a higher natural MST have any value whatsoever to anyone who isn't a force? I loved my HUnewearl, saddens me to think she might simply be worth less with PSU's system. =(

Also, I don't think I worded my first post very well. Basically, I was asking about the combos and photon arts, and if they animate significantly differently between races/genders to affect gameplay significantly. Anyone?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-05-12 16:13 ]</font>

PhotonCat
May 13, 2006, 01:18 AM
Although I can't answer about the different race animations/stances... I hope they are all unique to each race/gender. All I saw in screens is characters in the lobbies and they all stood the same exact way...

hypersaxon
May 13, 2006, 04:01 PM
Interesting question there Kyuu, and that leads to a question that I have:

Since it is no longer possible to cast spells without the aid of a Force weapon, do you think they will allow Canes to be equipped by non-Force characters this time around? It would be really nice to be able to use a Saber / Cane combo so you can heal yourself and use buffs and other stuff like that. I think it'd be a nice option to be able to equip at least one Cane, maybe they could make dual Canes only available to Forces to keep things fair.

mech259_
May 13, 2006, 04:09 PM
All races and classes use the same anaimations.

And Non-FOs can't use canes, or they couldn't in the beta atleast. And there are no dual canes. But there are staves, which are 2-handed FO weps that you can have 4 techs on, so it's the same thing.

Dre_o
May 13, 2006, 04:16 PM
On the whole tech to FO weapon thing, I imagine that once you get higher level, and have more badass equipment, certain no FO weapons will be able to use techs. OF COURSE they won't be as powerful as FO weapon techs, but I believe they will end up like that.