PDA

View Full Version : Weird online n00b experience

Mangledmon
May 13, 2006, 03:17 AM
Hi all...

Still new to GC PSO+ online - been playing it offline with friends for years, but finally got online the other week.

I was wondering - do people here generally play on the US/EU servers, or the Japanese ones? I've been mainly playing on the latter, and I had a weird case of xenophobia today - I had some Japanese gamers who I played with the other day tell me to go away when I joined in today because I wasn't Japanese >_< I mean, I wasn't sure whether to giggle or not (the guy said 'JP onry' [engrish is awesome!] and told me I couldn't join in), but yeah, I was wondering if anyone else had this happen to them?

I'm thinking maybe I peeved a few of them with realising it - I play as a FOnewearl and maybe I got too carried away with offensive magic? Is there any kind of etiquette I should be showing as a low-level (only lv 22 atm on this character) Force? I try and heal the group as much as possible, but I don't want to get other people peeved at me for throwing out too many foie attacks http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

So yeah, just thought I'd see what other people had to say about all that. Oh, and as a final question, I think I read that the guy who goes by the name Optimus Prime is prone to crashing games or something? I saw him a few times today and logged out straight away! I'm so paranoid!!!

Thanks for listening to a n00b rant. Hopefully I'll see some other out there!!

-Mangledmon-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mangledmon on 2006-05-13 01:28 ]</font>

Neith
May 13, 2006, 10:54 AM
Well, online, a FO is usually preferred to support than nuke. By using Resta/Shifta/Deband/Jellen/Zalure, you'll make the rest of the party's job easier. Nuking can be a pain in some areas, and is generally not liked if you nuke too much.

Also, some JP players do not like playing with EU/US players. It's always been like this, and there will always be JP players who hate playing with us. On the other side, there are also a lot of JP players who are considerate enough to play with foreigners.

metatime
May 14, 2006, 02:47 AM
Hey Mangledmon, what times do you play? I can show you around the place and get a game in too to help you with getting use to online.

Mangledmon
May 14, 2006, 02:49 AM
Cool, thanks for that mate - I'll keep in mind to do more support stuff and keep attacks down to single-enemy attacks, like foie and zonde and stuff, when I can't do much damage with my crappy saber http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Cheers!

-Mangledmon-

Drayma
May 14, 2006, 05:54 AM
PSO etiquette for playing with Japanese players is to ask if you can join first. Wierd how if you ask they say "ok".

Also they unload goodies at some point near the bank and don't pick it up, thats not necessarily for you.

Also the Japanese are different...like after a boss battle you pipe to P2 and they stay behind with the girl. ahem I don't wanna know but thats a reason they don't want you to join.

Shigecki
May 14, 2006, 03:26 PM
On 2006-05-13 08:54, UrikoBB3 wrote:
Also, some JP players do not like playing with EU/US players. It's always been like this, and there will always be JP players who hate playing with us. On the other side, there are also a lot of JP players who are considerate enough to play with foreigners.

Funny how if I did something like this, I would be call all types of nasty things. I'm a white male that is American, it would be considered racist for me to exclude someone because of nationality. You guys just go "Oh well that's how it is, ask first to play in an open game."

You consider it being considerate because someone plays a game with you? And the only thing you have going against you is an E. You guys on the Cube just sit back and take this behavior as the norm. Thank God I don't have to deal with these type of people on the Box. I can understand if they are waiting for a friend and ask you to leave, but just because you have an E instead of a J in front of you levels???

I never played with the Japanese players on DC. I didn't know it was this bad. It sounds terrible.

As far as forcing goes, the character is level 22, it sounds like you are keeping others healed, not much else you can do at that low of a level. Hitting things with foie isn't really spamming. There will be other enemies that will have the other players attention. I never understood the problem with spamming in the first place, but oh well.

DoubleJG
May 14, 2006, 07:13 PM
A good reason why many JP players do not like playing with foreigners is because the JP people are very legit (many many many JPers are legit, few use cheats). They know about how US players like to cheat and whatnot so some of them will not even give an English person a chance due to stereotypes such as us all being cheaters. All E players do not cheat though (I sure dont and I know many others that dont as well), and some JP know this and they give us a shot.

-Always ask if ok to join.

-If you see the letters JP/jp in the game's title, then do not join because it is JP only.

-It is not a racist situation with them, it is more of a security thing and in some cases enjoy playing with people that can speak their language more than foreigners that have no idea what is going on sometimes.

-Unlike the US/EU gamers who only have a few friends to rely on for games, the JP community is still quite booming and it is always easy to find an open game over there. Sometimes we need JP players to fill our teams, yet they do not need us in most cases.

-Don't take it personally. If one team kicks you out, then try the next team. If it repeats, then rinse and repeat.