PDA

View Full Version : Stale news, but still ^^ (regarding Forces)

Spellbinder
May 13, 2006, 04:15 PM
Beta testers can now use the fearsome Long Bow and Staff. The staff allows a person to equip up to four techniques on one weapon while the Long Bow gives people another ranged-weapon to play with.

Was anyone else relieved to know there will be Force weapons that can hold more than two Technics?

oShojino
May 13, 2006, 04:20 PM
Ya, its nice to have a staff with 4 techs but you give up some cast speed. Also putting the same element of techs on a wand gave the techs more damage with continued usage.. so I predict staffs will probably be used for support techs, due to the slower cast speed and the number of slots.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oShojino on 2006-05-13 14:21 ]</font>

Fleece
May 13, 2006, 04:25 PM
If i was a force id carry multiple staffs, one for each group of techs, especially seeing as theres a slot in the shop that increases casting speed.

Spellbinder
May 13, 2006, 04:37 PM
Interesting notes you guys. I never knew a staff would yield a lower casting speed. I'd probably use them for everything anyway because
1.) They look hot (or at least the screeny of one I saw)
2.) With a slower casting speed it might help me learn to pace myself, lest I become a tech spamming maniac and constantly run out of PP.

But what do I know~ I haven't played yet so only time will tell how things will actually play out.

Fleece
May 13, 2006, 04:54 PM
I have a bow in real life, kind've gutted loads of people will be taking bows because they're new.

avai
May 13, 2006, 06:07 PM
Congradulations! on having a bow in real life! lol the techs gain damage from having the same type of tech on the same wep? if so you could do some good damage with the staff's.

Itsuki
May 13, 2006, 06:32 PM
you'd need all of the same element of tech to gain the bonus. So I would imagine this would mean atleast 3, probably 4 of one element to make a staff work that way. And that was impossible in betta since there were only normal and RA techs (and then resta and regen, which were the two light elemental techs).

The casting speed may slow down your PP usage, but in the end, the REAL reason the casting speed is a problem is because you lose the ability to get out of the way of attacks, and you lose the ability to aim. This could really easily be seen in mizuraki. Multiple monsters cast barta. With a staff, you BARELY had enough time to move out of the way. I mean a couple tenths of a second could mean you getting hit. While with a cane, you could pretty easily cast and dodge. Also, the spell comes out at the end of the animation. So you spend all this time winding your staff up, while the monster is free to run away. And these spells don't work like rafoie used to. If the monster is no longer directly in front of you when you finish the cast animation, the explosion is straight ahead of you a set distance. Of course, if the monster is directly in front of you, it will blow up centered on the monster.

A second problem with staves was the time it took to load techs. There was a certain delay after you equip a staff before your techs become usable. If the weapon you're switching to has the same techs as the weapon you're switching from, those wouldn't need to load up, and once loaded, they'd stay loaded for a while. I'm not sure on the specifics of it, but say you had resta in your last slot (techs loaded in this order: down -> right -> up+down -> up+right), if you switch to a staff, it may take 20 seconds before you can cast resta.

oShojino
May 13, 2006, 09:57 PM
You dont have to have a majority of one element techs or all of one element techs to make a Staff/Wand elemental, you can have one spell of an element type on a wand/staff to make it that element.. however no matter 1 or 3 spells of one element, you cant have any other spell type on the wand/staff or the wand/staff will just be normal element.

Itsuki
May 13, 2006, 10:32 PM
ahh, didn't realize. But then that begs the question. If you're only going to have 2-3 techs on the staff, why even use the staff? I think the real advantage of the staff is that you can always have resta.

PhotonCat
May 14, 2006, 12:58 AM
Well... that's better than 2.

But, I kinda think it's dumb that you'd only be able to have up to 4 spells ready because your limited by your staff/cane. I would rather it be like PSO AND let you not have a weapon equiped. I remember with my FO I would have nothing equiped always because I liked the hand animation casts and it was faster. Ocasionally I would have some type of blade or gun equiped.

Screenshot
May 14, 2006, 02:25 AM
On 2006-05-13 22:58, PhotonCat wrote:

But, I kinda think it's dumb that you'd only be able to have up to 4 spells ready because your limited by your staff/cane. I would rather it be like PSO AND let you not have a weapon equiped. I remember with my FO I would have nothing equiped always because I liked the hand animation casts and it was faster. Ocasionally I would have some type of blade or gun equiped.You can always switch your weapon really quick though, so its not really a problem.

oShojino
May 14, 2006, 08:47 AM
On 2006-05-13 22:58, PhotonCat wrote:

But, I kinda think it's dumb that you'd only be able to have up to 4 spells ready because your limited by your staff/cane. I would rather it be like PSO AND let you not have a weapon equiped. I remember with my FO I would have nothing equiped always because I liked the hand animation casts and it was faster. Ocasionally I would have some type of blade or gun equiped.

Agreed, if it was this way Hunewm Hunewerals or even Fone/Fonewearls could be a mix of melee and magic, the way Newmans have always been. People bring up balance issues though...