PDA

View Full Version : You want a PS3?

Sord
May 13, 2006, 06:05 PM
One of my friends has been saving for the thing since it was announced they were working on the system. Same goes for Xbox 360. Since he also has a job (dog groomer) and is good at saving money, he actually has enough already and has had it for some time now. He’s low-middle class, blue collar. Has two younger siblings and has to deal with school. So how could such a positively normal teen manage to get that money when so many others with the same opertunities supposedly can’t and complain about it?

Here’s how:

If people would stop bitchin about the price and think what could they do to save money.

Instead of going out to eat, eat at home, and put the extra money in a saving account. If your the type of person that eats junk food or soda all the time, drop it and save that money. Not only is it healthy, but you could be saving $20-$50 a week.

$500-600 dollars is not a lot of money if your willing to PLAN you finance ahead of time, and are actually willing to do some WORK and make some CUTBACKS on crap you DON’T NEED.

Yes, this is significantly harder for people who don't have a job because they are to young, but most still have a chance. Mow some lawns, do 10 each week for ten dollars. Do that for six weeks, that's a month and a half. If you live in a cold snowy area, shovel lawns or something.

Desert and suburban people, can't really help you on that, but as for urban areas, your the ones that tend to eat the most junk food here in America. The fattest places are all cities, not towns and rural farm areas. Your the ones that if you were willing to drop some of the fast food and snack food, could easily save up for the system.

Yeah, I know there are people who have a lack of jobs around, and can't persuade locals to let them work, and are already eating just the essentials, are poor and can barely get buy as is . But people with all those attributes are the MINORITY, and it's the majority that's complaining.

There is so much crap you could stop buying and put your money towards the system

movies/DVDs----------$5-20 a peice
cable/sattelite TV---$20-40 a month
high-speed internet--$20-30 a month
Music CDs------------$13-20 a peice
Cigs-----------------$20-40 bucks a carton, and that's 1 form of tobaco
NewCD or MP3player---$10-200 and the quality MP3 players are higher
Rental Movie/Game----$5-10 a peice

Point is: there is so much crap we buy and pay for, that isn't even needed. Suck it up and go without it for a few months and SAVE the money, DO NOT spend it under any circumstance. Make a friggen financial plan instead of buying impulsively, and ACTUALLY WORK to obtain a goal instead of sitting around all damn day and complaining about it.

If a new game system is so god damn important that you have to whine about it to everyone, stop complaining about it and DO SOMETHING!!!!

this isn't intended toward this forum in general, but also to many others who I have heard complain about it. I admit that most of my knowledge is American based, as we are the fattest country and the biggest consumer of many things we don’t need or could moderate.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sord on 2006-05-13 16:11 ]</font>

CupOfCoffee
May 13, 2006, 06:15 PM
I admit that most of my knowledge is American based, as we are the fattest country and the biggest consumer of many things we don’t need or could moderate.

I'd tend to call an expensive video game system such as the PS3 a "thing we don't need or could moderate," but I see and largely agree with your point. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

KodiaX987
May 13, 2006, 06:33 PM
I don't care if I have just one or a million dollars. I will not spend 600 bucks on a gaming console. Not now, not ever. I consider the gaming console to be the alternative of a gaming PC. Instead of buying a PC that does games, printing, processing, E-Mailing and all that stuff for two grand, well, what if I want something just to game? This is where the console comes in.

Picture this. I could go buy myself a shining new graphics card for my PC at 350 bucks and I'd get to play games with bells and whistles of near-equal quality than that of a PS3, Revo or 360. That, and I'm not forced to use a controller but may rather choose to go keyboard and mouse, joystick or steering wheel. And the joystick and steering wheel that I used to have 6 years ago will still work with the new games, and so will the keyboard and mouse, and so will my gamepad if I ever choose to get one. Point is: a graphics card has more bang for the buck than a shiny new gaming console! At least PS3-wise.

Microsoft at least had the wit to get theirs at a somewhat more reasonable price. And as far as Nintendo goes, knowing their philosophy, they'll do anything to have the lowest-costing console they can put out.

Skorpius
May 13, 2006, 07:31 PM
Shuri's post in one sentence:
People aren't bitching because they can't save money, they're bitching because they shouldn't have to save that much money just for a gaming console.

Solstis
May 13, 2006, 07:37 PM
I'd rather be able to eat out and go to the movies every so often than suffer for several months.

Not to mention that playing the PS3 all day isn't all that healthy.

PJ
May 13, 2006, 08:46 PM
I should show this to my friend.

It'd help him pay me back faster http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

But yeah, good calls good calls

Blitzkommando
May 13, 2006, 08:52 PM
On 2006-05-13 17:31, Skorpius wrote:
People aren't bitching because they can't save money, they're bitching because they shouldn't have to save that much money just for a gaming console.

I completely agree as well. It was hard enough to swallow spending $300 on my PS2 but to spend twice that for the new version makes the increasing prices of graphics cards look very minor in comparison. Heck, at least with graphics cards the price is somewhat offset by declining prices for processors with greater performance. If I want a $600 machine to play games on on my HDTV I'll build a budget computer that can do all the media things, has a larger harddrive and is compatable with all the hardware I have sitting around my house ready to be used. I'm not arguing about whether or not the PS3 is going to be good, I am arguing the idea that a purely media and gaming machine with no other features is costing twice what the previous generation did. If that is one thing about computers, they tend to scale very well over the years performance-wise compared to consoles. I shouldn't have to change my lifestyle for months in order to afford something that I might occasionally use to play games on.

navci
May 13, 2006, 10:19 PM
On 2006-05-13 17:31, Skorpius wrote:

I think Sord's point is more like, if you want something. Tighten that belt and work on saving it up rather than bitching about how they can't afford it. Not just PS3, things in general as well.

Which I agree.
You already don't really have to spend a lot to pay bills to keep yourself fed and warm, if you really want something, shuddup and start working on it. Stop whining.

opaopajr
May 13, 2006, 10:54 PM
i may not NEED all those everyday conveniences that makes life bearable, but neither do i NEED a PS3 right out of launch. considering consoles regularly plummet $100-200 after a few years, and become wholly cheap towards the end of its cycle, i can just as easily wait and enjoy life in the meanwhile. video game consoles are nowhere near a priority on my list of things to suffer and tighten my belt for -- they're just mere entertainment, not property or a personal business.

Sord
May 13, 2006, 11:14 PM
Navi has pretty much hit the head on the nail here. I do make it a point to talk about PS3 because that is what people are talking and complainging about right now. However, I make a much bigger deal on the lazyness and lack of financial coordination that seems to be extremely common today.

I actually prefer PCs over anything, since most good games for systems have a chance to make it on the PC as well. Not to mention a PC can end up having just as many to a lot more funtions. Hundreds of controllers and styles out to fit any hand and give in advantage in any game, the ability to swap out parts for newer ones. You can't run your taxes or make a spread sheet on a game system. Honestly I don't plan to buy any of the systems.

Back to the topic of Financial Planning:

Its just the whining, moaning and bitching I hear from people that they can't get it or it's to much, meanwhile they are carrying the latest cell phone model and the most powerful iPod in their pockets. I figure, hey, if you had just planned ahead instead of wasting money on all that crap, you would be much closer. If it meant so goddamn much to you could have planned ahead, but you didn't. It's your problem, I don't care, shut up.

I mean, come on. This is the day and age of planned obsoletion. If you aren't smart enough to plan ahead, do some work for the money, and set a goal for yourself to obtain something that doesn't get a new model every few months, than you are a financial idiot who deserves a swift kick in the ass straight into a Consumers Math class.

Naturally I want to burn any rich kid alive that complains. Luckily I have yet to meet one.

InfinityXXX
May 13, 2006, 11:21 PM
It'll be a while before I can afford it.(years) Recently, My family's financial problem is bad(my mom is a single parent) and we're barely making the bills.(my mom has a masters degree but shes getting paid as if she had no degree.)

Not only that but this summer I'm going to a required paid band camp thats $1000(I'll be paying $500 in installments though) so my summer job's money is going on that. I'll only be able to work until school starts and due to summer being only about 2 months long(before my camp) I dunno if I'll even be able to make that payment.

Now adays,I rarely get neat accesories and most things I get are given to me or sold to me bootlegged or hot(at a discount). My mom is also a health nut so we eat about once or twice a month.

I'm not gonna break my neck for it because its not a need but I'm still mad at them for charging all that much for it and making it almost impossible for people(at least in my area) for ever owning it.

I know what your saying Sord but its easier said than done. Especially when all your money is going to some collector as soon as you get your check.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: InfinityXXX on 2006-05-13 21:33 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
May 13, 2006, 11:43 PM
I do prefer a PC over consoles. Before I got a my new computer, I always thought that consolse were way better than PCs would ever be but after some research, talk with computer guys, and self-examination, I figured out that PCs are better in most ways.

The PC can have it's outdated hardware and software updated. Gaming cost next to nothing compared to consoles. You have a huge selection of control options if you are willing to look around (I recently bought an Xbox 360 controller for my PC and it has done wonders for me.)

Consoles, as computer geeks and research told me, tend to look better in a lot of cases for a few reasons.
1: They only do one thing... play games so they focus on all parts needed for good gaming. A console shouldn't "lag" while playing it's own game.
2: You (generally) will have a better/bigger screen to work with.

The consoles main flaws are the fact it can't be upgraded... you have to buy a new one. They are expensive because they are basically gaming computers. They don't do anything besides games.

A computer has it's own flaws to, don't get me wrong. PCs cost a lot of money to upgrade if you don't have any good parts or your PC/parts are outdated by a few years. PCs do have teh chances of getting viruses (though this isn't really common for newer ones.)

Sinue_v2
May 14, 2006, 01:52 AM
I agree with Kodia... It's not that I couldn't afford a PS3 if I really wanted one. It's that I refuse to pay that outrageous of a price for a game console.. expecially one which is only that expensive because it has a bunch of BS features that I'm not interested in. There is absolutely no good reason on god's green earth why Sony had to include the uber-expensive BlueRay technology for the sake of gaming. It's a move, purely, to establish BlueRay as the standard media to replace DVDs so that Sony can draw licencing fees off of it.

I'm not going to tighten my belt so that Sony can use my purchase as a foothold into an entirely different industry. Expecially when, knowing Sony's hardware track-record, you won't just be spending $600 on their console - but instead spend $1,200 to $1,800 overall after replacing broken units.

I'll get a PS3 eventually, but not until it drops to a reasonable price, goes through a few hardware revisions, and gets a decent library of games which interest me. Nothing they've shown at E3, aside from MGS4, piques my interest in the slightest.

Mewn
May 14, 2006, 05:01 AM
I'm not paying 600 bucks (however much that is in GBP) on a games console, not now, not ever.

And since I have a job and recently spent more than that on a laptop for when I go to university money isn't really a big problem for me. I just don't see why I should spend that much money.

I'd rather spend the money on something that actually interests me anyway.