PDA

View Full Version : Kelli Sae Interview -- Opinions?

Tycho
May 14, 2006, 04:49 PM
I don't think there have been any threads about this yet, and since the news wasn't put into a regular news article we could reply to...

What do you guys think about the interview with Kelli Sae?

I didn't really know about her before PSU, but I think Sonic Team doesn't seem to have treated her in the same way as, say, Tanaka Rie (though.. wasn't she related to the staff or something?). She seemed pretty nice in the interview at least, but I can't help but to feel that with the way ST gave her only a bare minimum of information about the project, or perhaps not even that, she was sort of treated like a doll. I hope she will have a nice career nonetheless -- the OST was good.

Maybe this topic isn't what it's supposed to be, but, what do you people think?

voxie
May 14, 2006, 04:52 PM
I thought it was alright. But not all that interesting, as Kelli herself doesn't know about the actual game itself, nor played it. But an interesting gem, more or less.

ShadowDragon28
May 14, 2006, 04:56 PM
Her singing voice is very pleasant on the ears, and she's cute.

It's to bad she didn't know anything about PSU, and it can be very hard to sing lyrics to a brand new song that someone else wrote,
with little info on what tonal inflections or the emotions the song should help stir up.

It can sometimes be a bit hard to get feel for the "spirit" and "essense" of the song. But from what I've heard so far she did a darn good job. The interview was alright.

Fleece
May 14, 2006, 05:07 PM
To be fair she sounds like a nice girl and she is very pretty, shame she doesnt know what the F*** is going on around her.

NightHour13
May 14, 2006, 11:17 PM
Thats the work world that she's in. Her position somtimes calls for that sort of thing ya know? But you all are correct and i concur; Theres no way any one could put their heart and soul into somthing if they don't have a lick of sense about the thing their singing about. Overall through that, she did a darn good job so...*applause*

Tystys
May 15, 2006, 12:33 AM
To tell you the truth, I think she sounds terrible as a singer, O_O

Itsuki
May 15, 2006, 01:42 AM
Terrible is such a harsh word. I think the largest problem with the PSU theme is the lyrics, which she didn't write. I mean, her voice is fine. She can, by all means, sing, but the lyrics, and perhaps her over enuciating of some words, makes the PSU theme come off as akward in places. I'm not even ragging on the lyrics because they're so corny, but rather because they sound like they weren't written by a native english speaker. They just... don't flow properly.

But I think you're expecting a bit much if you expect her to know something more about the game than we do. Though I agree it does make her out to seem like somewhat of a doll. You get the idea that Sega was looking for someone that natively spoke english, that could sing their song their way, with minimal questions.

But the interview wasn't bad for what it was. Not much information, but you get a feel for the who the voice behind the song is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Itsuki-chan on 2006-05-14 23:43 ]</font>

Saner
May 15, 2006, 05:28 AM
Sega made a great choice! She is a very good singer! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

physic
May 15, 2006, 05:32 AM
She is just doing a work for hire, and she is probably singing the song trying to find meaning in the words. If a song is good, you wont need to play a game to appreciate it. A soundtrack usually represents a spirit that isnt only native to the project.

Reystradamus
May 15, 2006, 11:18 AM
she looks good???...whoeva said that got bad taste IMO

BahnKnakyu
May 15, 2006, 01:41 PM
- Rey's on the money. She's not ugly, but she's not pretty, but whatever. Looks don't make the singer, unless you're a US pop star. But she needs to go easy on the lipstick. That's overkill.

- Yes, if her singing voice is good, then whether or not she's been pulled around like a doll for the singing shouldn't matter, but a lot of the better singers out there have a faint idea as to what they're singing about. Singers for anime usually have some idea what the anime is about/what the general theme for the anime is, and admittedly, even though a lot of them don't compose the lyrics for the songs they're gonna be singing, they know how to get the "words" right to make it fit the anime.

- Didn't really want to ask for vocals for what was already a good track without it. Whether she was having difficulties with the song because she couldn't find the words or not, from my view the track still has problems, and IMO is not worthy of being the "theme" for this game. She should've been given more time to get a feel of WHAT this game is and to compose better lyrics that match the song. If they weren't willing to give her more time (and really, you could get away with using the original orchestrated theme because it's that good) then they shouldn't have used her in the first place.

Zarbolord
May 15, 2006, 01:47 PM
She sings well... yeah it's the 'easy' lyrics that kinda ruin it.
Who says we are lost again in this lonely world?
I say we can start again, we're on the same ship....
Also the music is a bit... It's a style I'm not use to... But whatever, it's just fine, I'm looking forward to the game... AND the background music http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Mewn
May 15, 2006, 01:47 PM
She made the best of a bad job IMO (those lyrics are horrible <_<), she seems quite talented.

The interview was interesting enough in it's own way.

TheStoicOne
May 15, 2006, 02:23 PM
I don't know her voice sounds a LOT deeper than the girl who sang PSO's ending theme. And IMO that chick could sing, but this Kelli female...IDK... Maybe the should have shot for a soprano, not an alto. And I sort of get a feeling that maybe, well frankly she's lying. There is NO way ST would go through all that trouble just to snatch her up and say "Sing DAMNIT!"
Then Kelli, says"Save this world...yadda, yadda, yadda"(thats her singing)
Maybe before they let her loose at E3 they(ST) gave her a rundown, of what to say and what not say. (Maybe Kelli's not just a singer, maybe she's ALSO an actress?) Idk overall I think the song sounds a bit awkward... I wouldn't have minded if they kept the song in japanese. But thats just my opinion

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TheStoicOne on 2006-05-15 12:24 ]</font>

RoninJoku
May 15, 2006, 02:37 PM
I agree that she did the best she could with awkward lyrics... I definitely can also agree that the song seems like it was written by someone without a very good grasp of english... Because the lyrics absolutely don't flow like they probably should... It sounds like a JPop song, but it's english... But aside from that, I think she did a great job...

And I really don't think they would have really given her much of a rundown of what the game was about... <.<