PDA

View Full Version : Possible Open Beta

DarthTyranus
May 15, 2006, 03:24 AM
Who here believes that there'll be an Open Beta arriving soon? I can't put up with this much longer.

Rihcky
May 15, 2006, 03:36 AM
I don't think so.
It wouldn't make any sense to me.

DarthTyranus
May 15, 2006, 03:41 AM
I still think it's a bit unfair that the Japanese had a Closed Beta with a player limit to start with, plus E3 finished not too long ago. I guess it'll take some time for conformation.

EDIT: Do not use racial slurs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ryna on 2006-05-15 06:41 ]</font>

Latiku
May 15, 2006, 03:49 AM
If, per-chance, there is an open Beta, how would one go about signing up for it?

DarthTyranus
May 15, 2006, 03:53 AM
Maybe psobb.com might make some links, most likely you'll have to sign up at playsega.com. I think this game has to be bought from a retailer, unless if we can download it for free, psobb.com might post a link to get the client.

Sorry, but this is all in a nutshell.

Saner
May 15, 2006, 04:04 AM
it would be better news if the game is done well enough that it's almost ready, than having to go through an open beta and possibly delay the full game further.

I think it would be great if they learned enough from the closed beta to stabilize the network code so the game will be ready this coming season! Cause that's what we are all really waiting for.

Zarbolord
May 15, 2006, 04:10 AM
Yeah, I think we're all sick and tired of waiting for it to come out...

physic
May 15, 2006, 04:58 AM
i dunno i think if they were gonna open beta it, it would have happened by now, aside from mayeb a fake open beta like 2 weeks before the game is released as promotion, then again that seems unlikely since they want to sell hardcopies of the game, and it will probably be more than a gig of info at least

linkzone
May 15, 2006, 06:21 AM
i doubt they will open a free beta. prolly charge for it if anything, like buying a demo disc or sumtan.

kassy
May 15, 2006, 07:01 AM
There will be no open beta, just my opinion anyways. An open beta for PSU would make no sense to me.

Ryo_Hayasa
May 15, 2006, 07:42 AM
It would make sense, open beta is a "Stress test" for the servers and such.

However if a open beta was to happen it would've. And well, it's strange that the Japanese Beta site was shut down, this means that they may not use it again. So why would you close down a site that could easily be used to make a Open beta site. (all you'd have to do is change all the words from closed to open XP )

Sorry guys, Sonic team is all business this time. if they're gonna do a stress test, it loosk like they're gonna do it on their own. We should just hope that now that a beta has happened. Maybe, MAYBE we can get this game soon.

Oji_Retta
May 15, 2006, 08:06 AM
The closed beta was the stress test. (correct me if I am wrong)

voxie
May 15, 2006, 08:13 AM
Nah, considering the amount of hype and money they intend to make with Phantasy Star Universe, why would they risk losing out with a free open beta? The closed beta I think was the stress test they needed.

Screenshot
May 15, 2006, 12:03 PM
Indeed, this isn't some old game rehashed with just a little bit of something new. Its a completely new game, they won't do an open beta.

Saner
May 15, 2006, 03:52 PM
On 2006-05-15 06:13, voxie wrote:
Nah, considering the amount of hype and money they intend to make with Phantasy Star Universe, why would they risk losing out with a free open beta? The closed beta I think was the stress test they needed.

exactly.

DarthTyranus
May 15, 2006, 05:22 PM
They must be putting a lot of thought into this one, Sonic Team. I guess I'll have to play the Waiting Game again.

Kayai
May 15, 2006, 05:45 PM
But the waiting game devours my soul T.T

DarthTyranus
May 15, 2006, 05:48 PM
No kidding, I'd be happen even with a demo for Story Mode. They gotta give us something to try out.

Kyuu
May 15, 2006, 09:14 PM
If they aren't going to release it within a couple months, then they sure as hell better release an open beta or a demo of story mode or something. Must... play... *weeps*

DarthTyranus
May 15, 2006, 10:16 PM
There there(Hands Kyuu a tissue), just remember to squeeze your rage into a bitter ball, then release it at an appropriate time. That's how I cut of Anakin's arm with my saber.

Numnuttz
May 15, 2006, 10:21 PM
i rahter have a demo come out cause if another beta test was to happen that would mean the game wont be comming out for some time. but whatever, all im hopin for is that it comes out in a few months.

Tystys
May 16, 2006, 05:08 AM
It's nice to dream isn't it? heheh.
Like most of the people have said, an open beta wouldn't make much sense, considering they got alot of extra info they weren't originally looking for.
By that I mean the fact that American players were in the BETA as well. If they are going to link our servers with Japanese servers and see how the lag evens out only in retail, that'd be a bit dumb...
Also, one bit of an off topic question....
Just how exactly did the BETA testers get the new worlds and items? Was it handed out through patches? If it was, SEGA might just be coming up with a version for PS2 that uses the hard drive.

You never know, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Saner
May 16, 2006, 08:22 AM
you don't need harddrive to download patches.

the memory card is sufficient for that.

Dre_o
May 16, 2006, 08:27 AM
I think I just thunk.....well anyways I have an idea. Could the Closed Beta just have had a hidden test? I mean, if Sonic Team REALLY wanted to test, they could've laid a reverse psycology (spelling?) trick.

Telling people in America that they cannot play with those in Japan would be perfect for reverse psycology (spelling) idea. It would also let them test how well the connection could last. (it would also let them get pissed at us)

.......wow.....me and my conspiracy theories....but anyways, I like everyone else would kill for the game and injure for an open Beta

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dre_o on 2006-05-16 06:28 ]</font>

Saner
May 16, 2006, 08:31 AM
I feel they were expecting US players to jump right into the beta also.

They are not so naive as to think US players won't find a way in. It's all part of the beta test.

I think the closing of the beta sign is a wonderful sign that the game is almost ready and on schedule for Fall 2006 release. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-05-16 06:33 ]</font>

physic
May 16, 2006, 12:10 PM
I think if they really wanted World Players they would have not specified for only people in japan. but i really think they didnt care much as long as they could get information from jp people.
And as far as patches, for the beta patches was a feasible way to make updates and changes, for ps2 it will have to be used to a lesser degree, 1 patch was either 1.9 or 19 meg, im not sure. That is akin to beyond or 1/4 the memory card. Of course the patch they added was probably stuff they knew they d have to add. since the downlaod was only like 500 mb, and supposedly it needs much more than that. Anyhow i guess ya shouldnt worry too much bout the ps2, just know that HDD will not be required, highly unlikely that it will even be endorsed.

Saner
May 16, 2006, 01:15 PM
On 2006-05-16 10:10, physic wrote:
I think if they really wanted World Players they would have not specified for only people in japan. but i really think they didnt care much as long as they could get information from jp people.
And as far as patches, for the beta patches was a feasible way to make updates and changes, for ps2 it will have to be used to a lesser degree, 1 patch was either 1.9 or 19 meg, im not sure. That is akin to beyond or 1/4 the memory card. Of course the patch they added was probably stuff they knew they d have to add. since the downlaod was only like 500 mb, and supposedly it needs much more than that. Anyhow i guess ya shouldnt worry too much bout the ps2, just know that HDD will not be required, highly unlikely that it will even be endorsed.

you see, if they made an official invite for US players also, that would involve more sign ups than they require.

They know their business. By only making it a 'Japanese closed beta', they balance the amount of US people who squeeze their way into the beta. If it was an open invitation, they would expose the beta too much and have too many players getting a free taste of the game.

They can't afford that considering the anticipation the majority are waiting to play it. And so they made it a closed beta for Japanese 'only'.

As you can see, they took no action against the US players who made it into the closed beta, even with all the exposed media and information that came out of it.

It was all part of the plan to build more anticipation through the few who got to play the beta. at the sametime, they also measured the US connections with the Japanese connection and stuff.

They are aware of what's going on.

and it's not just the Beta, through their experience over the years with PSO, Blue Burst, etc. They don't require as much testing and research as they did before to perfect the network.

So an Open Beta is not going to be needed, the beta website closing and what they learned from the PSU closed beta, as well as the fully translated English videos found at E3, are solid clues that the full compete game is almost ready.

because really, an Open Beta will not satisfy anyone, it's not what we are waiting for.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-05-16 11:20 ]</font>

Tystys
May 16, 2006, 02:24 PM
To tell you the truth, I'd be pissed if they had an open beta....
That means more waiting! Argh!

RFB
May 16, 2006, 02:32 PM
I believe they only wanted JP people.

To register for the Beta, you needed a JP Sega Link account, for which you have to write, or well, at least fake some JP data, and even write in Japanese.

Also, I think I remember someone writing somewhere around here, that ST was pissed about the non-JPs that had made a ton of Sega Link accounts, got 2-3 beta ccounts, and Ebay-ed them for real money.

I really think they only wanted JP players.

Axios-
May 16, 2006, 02:39 PM
They probably were looking for JP players, but that doesn't mean that they didn't expect or want US players too. These are big companies that we're dealing with. If they didn't want US players in, they would have enforced it.

Of course they're going to get mad about that eBay thing. If I made a free product (beta account) and someone else made a profit off of it, I'd be pissed too.

In the end, they did want some US players, but it wasn't the focus because it was still a domestic test. They still got useful information out of the US players. They knew they would be there.

And I really hope that there won't be an open beta. Sure, it could be a quick fix, but I'm waiting to dive into the long-run. An open beta would delay our dreams of making our real characters. I seriously doubt that they would make such a move.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Axios- on 2006-05-16 12:40 ]</font>

Saner
May 16, 2006, 02:41 PM
On 2006-05-16 12:32, RFB wrote:
I believe they only wanted JP people.

To register for the Beta, you needed a JP Sega Link account, for which you have to write, or well, at least fake some JP data, and even write in Japanese.

Also, I think I remember someone writing somewhere around here, that ST was pissed about the non-JPs that had made a ton of Sega Link accounts, got 2-3 beta ccounts, and Ebay-ed them for real money.

I really think they only wanted JP players.

well it sounds like they were only upset about people selling beta accounts for real money, which is natural to be upset about.

how would english players harm the beta test by simply playing in it?

there was never a beta test done in the US when the first PSO came out.

Testing in Japan is sufficient, but foreign connections is positively a great opportunity to test and study those things too, since they will have to confront those factors sooner or later.

RFB
May 16, 2006, 03:02 PM
I'm not trying to prove that they wanted us out or anything like that. If they wanted to, they could have banned all non-JP IPs. They didnt.

What I'm saying is, tho they didnt care about a small little bunch of non-JPs, their aim was the JP players. I dont think they'd make you go trought a registration process where you have to fake JP data, and write a JP name in half-width Katakana, and keep the beta only to the JP site (I havent seen anything at ALL about it in Sega.com or sega-europe.com), if they really wanted US/RU players.

And considering how few we were, I doubt they could really test much.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RFB on 2006-05-16 13:04 ]</font>

Saner
May 16, 2006, 03:17 PM
On 2006-05-16 13:02, RFB wrote:
I'm not trying to prove that they wanted us out or anything like that. If they wanted to, they could have banned all non-JP IPs. They didnt.

What I'm saying is, tho they didnt care about a small little bunch of non-JPs, their aim was the JP players. I dont think they'd make you go trought a registration process where you have to fake JP data, and write a JP name in half-width Katakana, and keep the beta only to the JP site (I havent seen anything at ALL about it in Sega.com or sega-europe.com), if they really wanted US/RU players.

And considering how few we were, I doubt they could really test much.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RFB on 2006-05-16 13:04 ]</font>

well there is your answer. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

They took no action against US players so that is a sign that they could benefit from their presence in the beta.

it is focused on Japanese but they are aware of many things they do not express publicly, and the few US players could in fact be sufficient for some tests.

The manner they do these things is so complex that one can only perceive that they think ahead and cover all bases so that there are no surprises.

They may be even here seeing what we share and have to say. They took no action against this site board sharing media and information.

It's their way of allowing anticipation to build.

we don't see it but they are not going to lay everything on the table showing what they allow and what they expect.

The beta website closing is another sign that there will be no open beta. They have been preparing for this since their experience with PSO and especially Blue Burst.

there is so much going on that we can only speculate but there's really more to it than a Japanese-exclusive closed beta.

RFB
May 16, 2006, 03:35 PM
On 2006-05-16 13:17, Saner wrote:
They took no action against US players so that is a sign that they could benefit from their presence in the beta.

Oh yes, benefits from US/EU presence... shall I talk about the benefits they got from the PSOBB Beta? Youknowwho certainly got something out of it... I'll not explain what, since I could be breaking the site rules, but the US/EU presence in BB beta probably hurt them more than helped.

the few US players could in fact be sufficient for some tests.

-Nisshoku
-Ryna
-Kei
-Ada
-Shojin
-Halcyon
-Beatrix
-Zephyr
-DarkEpyon
-Aero
-Kyori
-Donkey
-Nedeti
-Parn
-Inazuma
-Razon
-Me

Those are about all the beta accounts owned by english speakers, many of them shared. 17. Add say, 5? 6 more? just in case. maximum 25. 25 non-JP accounts.

They may be even here seeing what we share and have to say. They took no action against this site board sharing media and information.

It's their way of allowing anticipation to build.

They way SoA and SoE are, and how SoJ has never really given a damn about non-JPs, I already found it amazing long ago, when I found they knew of the existence of this site.

And if you want anticipation to build, if you want the word to spread, you do NOT set an NDA on the terms of the Beta.

there is so much going on that we can only speculate but there's really more to it than a Japanese-exclusive closed beta.

I think there is nothing more than a bit of server stress test and a bit of massive bug seek&find.
PSO has never been a well known game outside JP. PSU is, certainly, not getting much more attention.

Saner
May 16, 2006, 03:52 PM
are you kidding? PSO is well known in the US!

back then PSO was Dreamcast's pride and joy.

and when it came out for Gamecube, those owners started claiming it as 'their own' (look at how mad they are about PSU not going to gamecube).

and PSU will really make a mark in online gaming when it comes out for PSU, PC and Xbox360.

even in the U.S. PC market, which is riddled with western online RPGs left and right, will welcome it with open arms.

FF11 is dry to the core, WoW is showing its age, and the other online RPGs have people anticipating PSU as much as we are.

and that's not counting the U.S. newcomers to online gaming, the people who normally play other types of games, etc. etc.

more so than Sonic, Virtua Fighter, and anything else, PSU is attracting U.S. audiences all over.

and this will be the first time a online Phantasy Star game is delivered to a much larger audience than Dreamcast and Gamecube combined ever had.

the PS2 and PC especially, will be successful in U.S. sales and will grow with new and devoted fans. I don't need to explain why but it's all there.

And it isn't just because its being released on successful systems with powerful online communities, PSU itself will do its part in delivering a universe we can call home.

It has the talent, it has the features, and it has the love to make it succeed, especially in the U.S. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

RFB
May 16, 2006, 04:02 PM
And once more, someone proves me that, sadly, "Spain is different"... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif

Still, good to hear that it's really getting a nice share of attention in the US. Here's hoping that we'll get at least the same amount of english speaking players as PSO DC v1 had. Save for the cheating morons, of course http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Nedeti
May 16, 2006, 04:29 PM
don't forget canada ^ ^

DarthTyranus
May 16, 2006, 06:06 PM
My first PSO experience was on my DC which I still have, now this PSO that we all know and love really takes the cake. But somehow its not enough, especially for veteran's who game for about 15 years.

Saner
May 16, 2006, 06:06 PM
oh ya, v1 was my first online RPG experience! it was so great.

you know v1 was in fact the first console online RPG. it's funny Sega got there first, just like how Phantasy Star 1 was the first videogame RPG released in the U.S. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-05-16 16:06 ]</font>

Saner
May 16, 2006, 06:13 PM
On 2006-05-16 16:06, DarthTyranus wrote:
My first PSO experience was on my DC which I still have, now this PSO that we all know and love really takes the cake. But somehow its not enough, especially for veteran's who game for about 15 years.

'not enough'???? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

you should be grateful it will even offer so much! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/burger.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/hotdog.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/frenchfries.gif http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

DarthTyranus
May 16, 2006, 06:19 PM
I apologise that I may have offended you a little, but I'm a serious gamer. I can't just play one type of game, I'm very eclectic.

Mr_Confused
May 16, 2006, 07:51 PM
they might put out a demo on the 360 live marketplace?

Numnuttz
May 16, 2006, 07:59 PM
is this a question or a statement? but if i get this right i dotn think they will. it doesnt seem like the 360 is getting much advertisment when it comes to psu. it might be because there arent many people who own them still.

Cetus
May 16, 2006, 08:14 PM
They could do a Open Beta but not for online play but for the One Player game.and would'nt make real sense since it may come sooner thant we think.The game must be already ready for japan but they only need to do better server that all*.

RFB
May 16, 2006, 09:23 PM
Dont expect a LIVE marketplace demo until the release date draws near, and I mean REALLY near. That is, if they ever upload a LIVE marketplace demo...

Shinjiro
May 16, 2006, 09:29 PM
I wish there would be an Open Beta, to pass the time a bit... I'm unsure that it will happen, but all I can do is hope. I just want the freakin' game to come out ;_; Lucky, lucky Closed Beta testers!

Nedeti
May 16, 2006, 10:14 PM
open beta probably around july

RFB
May 16, 2006, 10:16 PM
On 2006-05-16 20:14, Nedeti wrote:
open beta probably around july

Whats the source?

Shinjiro
May 16, 2006, 10:22 PM
I hope thats true; I'm not going to get my hopes up before it happens though... That'd be perfect for a summer game...

Nedeti
May 16, 2006, 10:30 PM
i was just saying... no source personal tought

NightHour13
May 16, 2006, 10:43 PM
Personally I think an open Beta would ruin it for me. Up to this point i'v been waiting for so long, the Beta would make me feel as if I already have the game and all thats going to change when it's released is some extra tidbits. Perhaps thats taking it too far, but I would just rather wait for the release. Im sure you can all share the thought of that special feeling when you sign online for the first time. Seeing the great beautifull planet before you, getting to know the controls. I think thats apart of the game experience. Since I have been waiting for this so long, I would like to experience that full effect on the day of it's release.

Nedeti
May 16, 2006, 10:56 PM
Open Beta will ease this drug effect some of users on the forum have come to develope.

Tystys
May 17, 2006, 05:37 AM
On 2006-05-16 20:56, Nedeti wrote:
Open Beta will ease this drug effect some of users on the forum have come to develope.

Who cares about those junkies? They can wait for their fix! lol

Saner
May 17, 2006, 05:46 AM
On 2006-05-16 19:29, Shinjiro wrote:
I wish there would be an Open Beta, to pass the time a bit... I'm unsure that it will happen, but all I can do is hope. I just want the freakin' game to come out ;_; Lucky, lucky Closed Beta testers!

actually an open beta would just push the final version release date farther away.

An open beta will not satisfy. it's like getting a pizza crust and you're waiting for a whole pizza.

Saner
May 17, 2006, 05:56 AM
On 2006-05-16 20:43, NightHour13 wrote:
Personally I think an open Beta would ruin it for me. Up to this point i'v been waiting for so long, the Beta would make me feel as if I already have the game and all thats going to change when it's released is some extra tidbits. Perhaps thats taking it too far, but I would just rather wait for the release. Im sure you can all share the thought of that special feeling when you sign online for the first time. Seeing the great beautifull planet before you, getting to know the controls. I think thats apart of the game experience. Since I have been waiting for this so long, I would like to experience that full effect on the day of it's release.

ya, an open beta would harm the sales for the final game.

Open Beta users would play and some would get bored and not feel like getting the full version.

plus the Open Beta would not be the full version of the game, so players are not getting the full experience.

and Open Beta characters would not be saved. so that means when open beta closes and final version comes out, you'll have to start from scratch all over again.

To simply want an open beta for the sake of just playing some piece of PSU, is quite sad considering they didnt spend all this time just to have players play a free open beta that won't even last long enough to experience everything, and even if players could, it would just wear out the interest of many potential buyers when the full version comes out. They already played it before; it's not as 'new' as it could have been if they waited for the full version.

A glass of cranberry juice is in fact more satisfying in one gulp than a tiny sip. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Dahilia
May 18, 2006, 09:22 PM
I can see having a closed English beta to iron out akward translations I remember seeing in PSO so rampantly. A reliable team could do this as well, but players actually running through it would do it for free.

Tystys
May 18, 2006, 09:35 PM
Double Post much? O_O

RFB
May 18, 2006, 10:22 PM
English translations, awkward? friendly advice: NEVER set a PSO, regardless of version, to Spanish. If you think the english version is bad, you'll be taking your brains out with a pencil if you see the spanish version.

Back to topic: I really didnt think there could be a Beta, but now that Miyoshi said that they wouldnt mind a closed US beta... god only knows. It'd probably be a Beta with about the same terms and limitations, tho. And it's probably best for them. They wouldnt like to show the full game before they release.

I'll be crossing my fingers for it, I'd love to play and actually be able to understand all the text, and also, have a sneak peek at the NPC and original character voice acting.