PDA

View Full Version : How much button does it need (PSU Beta Tester can you help)

Cetus
May 15, 2006, 07:12 PM
I have been wondering the question for sometime but how many button will PSU will need.Is because i want to use my Gamecube controler.I is pretty good for PSO BB but does PSU need the extra 2 button that the PS2 controler have or not?...if so i will buy a 360 one because my pc gamepad button the 2 extra button are misplaced and don't really like the PS2 look of where the D-Pad is placed.

Axios-
May 15, 2006, 07:16 PM
If I remember correctly, I *believe* that yes, it does need one more button than GCN controllers have, but you can assign one of the lesser used buttons to the keyboard and still put everything else on the controller. I think that's how it is, but I may be wrong.

Cetus
May 15, 2006, 07:18 PM
Thank Axios.Is someone is more certain about it tell it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Tystys
May 15, 2006, 07:40 PM
The control scheme looks like it is going to need one or two more buttons.

vitius137
May 15, 2006, 08:21 PM
i think the xbox 360 controller is probably your best option if you want to buy one. im going to try the keyboard first and then ill try one of the cheap joypads i have. then ill decide whether or not to buy a new one.

Kamica
May 15, 2006, 08:32 PM
I use the gamecube controller for PSU and you can really get a great setup on that controller. You will naturally need the keyboard for a few things no matter what controller you have. But, in the thick of battle, gamecube controller does the job.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kamica on 2006-05-15 18:33 ]</font>

Kyuu
May 15, 2006, 09:09 PM
This ties in to a question I have. I hook up an XBox 360 controller to my computer for my retro-gaming needs (emulation, shhh! don't tell anyone >.>). I was wondering if whatever keyboard/mouse scheme is set up for the PC PSU is easier to work with, or if it feels better using a controller...?

Axios-
May 15, 2006, 09:20 PM
I can't say from PSU experience, but for me PSOBB felt very clunky with a keyboard and mouse so I opted for the controller. Also, PSU has been stated as an RPG with a console base and was designed to be able to play on a controller as well.

Cetus
May 15, 2006, 10:57 PM
thank everyone i think i will wait for it to come on store before doing my final opinion.il try with my gamecue controler and the if it really doest need 2 more button that are really important il try the keyboard and if i doesn't find it comfortable i will l buy a 360 controler as the map our is pretty much the same except for the A B X Y whic for 3 are in a + shape while the gamecube is more a position that enable a easy sliding between A B X http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cetus on 2006-05-15 20:58 ]</font>

Cetus
May 15, 2006, 11:44 PM
On 2006-05-15 20:57, Cetus wrote:
thank everyone i think i will wait for it to come on store before doing my final opinion.il try with my gamecue controler and the if it really doest need 2 more button that are really important il try the keyboard and if i doesn't find it comfortable i will l buy a 360 controler as the map our is pretty much the same except for the A B X Y whic for 3 are in a + shape while the gamecube is more a position that enable a easy sliding between A B X http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Well i look at this page http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=110949&forum=20 an d it had the answer to my question and well after seeing the gamepad configuration they give i tried to assign gamecube one it and it work perfectly as actually it doesn't miss 2 button but that the PS2 and 360 have 1 that are unecessary to this game.I did some kind of configuration while comparing the number necessary to my gamecube.I will mostly change it when i will play the game as i don't know how it fell are my example with the gamecube map out

Function | Key
Confirm, Talk, Investigate, Pick Up Item | Y
Cancel, Bring Up Action Pallet | A
Normal Attack, Bullet, Technic | B
Melee Weapon Skill, Tech Weapon Technic | X
Lock-On Camera, Turn Page Left | L
Change Weapon, Turn Page Right | R
Turn Page Left | L
Turn Page Right | R
First Person Camera On/Off | D-PAD UP
Main Menu Show/Hide, Movie Skip | Start
Chat Log | Z
Camera Left/Right | C Stick
Camera Up/Down | C Stick

² i did this double post because i found the answer after the first one and by editing the tank you whould have been unessesary to it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Shade-
May 16, 2006, 12:32 AM
If you prefer the gamecube controler, it can be made to work. It really only has one less button, and that is easily mapped to the D-pad for a lesser used button like the chat log or first person mode.

Itsuki
May 16, 2006, 04:59 AM
You need the d-pad for navigating the menus though... unless you opt to not have a camera joystick.

This is how I played on a ps2 controller:
D-pad -> Menu navigation
Left Analog -> Movement
Right Analog -> Camera
X -> Attack 1
O -> Attack 2
Square -> Accept/Pick up Item
Triangle -> Cancel
L1 -> Strafe/Center Camera
R1 -> Change Weapon
L2 -> Page Left
R2 -> Page Right
Select -> FPS mode
Start -> Menu
R3 -> Chatlog

Now, argueably, You probably don't need both a Page left and a Page right if I Remember right (One should be fine). Chatlog also is kind of optional... That'd leave you only needing a place for an FPS mode if you used a GC controller.

::looks at GC controller a bit:: Hmm... Put Page right/left and chatlog on the keyboard and use Z as FPS? Thats probably your best option if you want to use a GC controller.

EDIT: Camera stick doesn't change to navigate menus when menu's are up in PSU if I remember right... I know I always used the D-pad...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Itsuki-chan on 2006-05-16 03:01 ]</font>

Tystys
May 16, 2006, 05:12 AM
One question, what kind of equipment or program did you guys use to make this happen? I would like to use my PS2 controller on the PC version as well, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif.

Kamica
May 16, 2006, 06:04 AM
Keep in mind that the game does not allow for two buttons to be used for one thing

Lyrise
May 16, 2006, 10:26 AM
On 2006-05-16 02:59, Itsuki-chan wrote:
You need the d-pad for navigating the menus though... unless you opt to not have a camera joystick.

D-pad -> Menu navigation
Left Analog -> Movement
Right Analog -> Camera
X -> Attack 1
O -> Attack 2
Triangle -> Cancel
R1 -> Change Weapon
L2 -> Page Left
R2 -> Page Right
Select -> FPS mode
Start -> Menu
R3 -> Chatlog

Now, argueably, You probably don't need both a Page left and a Page right if I Remember right (One should be fine). Chatlog also is kind of optional... That'd leave you only needing a place for an FPS mode if you used a GC controller.

::looks at GC controller a bit:: Hmm... Put Page right/left and chatlog on the keyboard and use Z as FPS? Thats probably your best option if you want to use a GC controller.

EDIT: Camera stick doesn't change to navigate menus when menu's are up in PSU if I remember right... I know I always used the D-pad...

Pretty close to the PS2 default setup. In anycase, for convenience, I would keep the page left key on control as opposed to page right, since it also serves to access your HUD menu, for quicker access to mission details and received mail, as well as mission grading.

Saner
May 16, 2006, 11:02 AM
the Xbox360 controller reminds of the Dreamcast controller a little, but much better. Fond memories of PSO v1 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

The only controller that rivals Xbox 360's is the PS2 controller, which is very comfortable, enough buttons, and everything well shaped.

Zarbolord
May 16, 2006, 11:21 AM
DO you think I could manage without a controller? Just using the key board? I think this isn't looking good...

Lyrise
May 16, 2006, 12:32 PM
Lots of people managed with a keyboard, so you shouldn't be outside the norm. However, for precision control, a gamepad will be necessary.

Axios-
May 16, 2006, 12:41 PM
I always found the Gamecube controllers to be the most comfortable. PlayStation controllers' analog sticks feel misplaced for me. However, I'm using PlayStation based gamepad, and that should provide for easy button translations.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Axios- on 2006-05-16 10:43 ]</font>

Cetus
May 16, 2006, 02:49 PM
Well chat is not a real usefull shortcut if i have my keyboard directly in front of me.It would work pretty much like PSO BB.

Sgt_Shligger
May 16, 2006, 03:27 PM
Can I set up the controller for the traditional FPS set up? I am using an Xbox360 controll pad but how do you strafe in the game? Do you hold a button down to strafe or hold a different key to strafe left and right?

I want to know a lot about eh controlls needed...

Saner
May 16, 2006, 03:57 PM
well they posted this:

D-pad -> Menu navigation
Left Analog -> Movement
Right Analog -> Camera
X -> Attack 1
O -> Attack 2
Triangle -> Cancel
R1 -> Change Weapon
L2 -> Page Left
R2 -> Page Right
Select -> FPS mode
Start -> Menu
R3 -> Chatlog

looks like you hold a single button to be able to strafe when you move left or right.

DamonKatu
May 16, 2006, 04:40 PM
Hay, they said that the Wii will STILL be using the Gamecube controler when they revealed Super Smash Brothers brawl for the new system. so maybe if nintendo sold a Wii keyboard then maybe they COULD have vers. 2 for the Nintendo Wii. But Im not sure if you guys can find a good point for this topic unless....well...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DamonKatu on 2006-05-16 14:46 ]</font>

Cetus
May 16, 2006, 08:10 PM
Well i finally think that i may buy a 360 controler as my usb adaptor have some problem.like call the menu when i didn't do it.And i would be usefull to enjoy a good game experience http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif.Other thing now since i had my first answer this tread is not really usefull anymore.

Alexandrious
May 16, 2006, 08:57 PM
On 2006-05-16 08:26, Lyrise wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-05-16 02:59, Itsuki-chan wrote:

D-pad -> Menu navigation
Left Analog -> Movement
Right Analog -> Camera
X -> Attack 1
O -> Attack 2
Triangle -> Cancel
R1 -> Change Weapon
L2 -> Page Left
R2 -> Page Right
Select -> FPS mode
Start -> Menu
R3 -> Chatlog

Hmm this makes me wanna use a Logitech, but I do like gamecube controllers also.

Can anyone post a link to that controller adapter for the gamecube controller? I'd appreciate it.

Cetus
May 16, 2006, 10:23 PM
sorry i can't post you a link as i had see it in a advertisement in a panflet for the store.but i can tell you the mark i have is Wasaki.But sometime i have little problem as i said in my last post.It call the menu sometime or accept event thought id didn't press on the button.But it is worth the little problem who happne rarely.

Alexandrious
May 16, 2006, 10:25 PM
On 2006-05-16 20:23, Cetus wrote:
sorry i can't post you a link as i had see it in a advertisement in a panflet for the store.but i can tell you the mark i have is Wasaki.But sometime i have little problem as i said in my last post.It call the menu sometime or accept event thought id didn't press on the button.But it is worth the little problem who happne rarely.

*reads his post several times tryin to understand*

ok so its called a Wasaki? Ok cool thx.

Cetus
May 16, 2006, 10:29 PM
i not really it name but is the name of the company who made my gamecube to usb adaptor.

Axios-
May 16, 2006, 10:32 PM
My guess is that he is talking about this: http://www.gocybershop.ca/customer/product.php?productid=574&cat=10&page=1

Alexandrious
May 16, 2006, 10:39 PM
On 2006-05-16 20:32, Axios- wrote:
My guess is that he is talking about this: http://www.gocybershop.ca/customer/product.php?productid=574&cat=10&page=1

Hmm, so how does that compare to the Super Joybox 13?

Axios-
May 16, 2006, 10:41 PM
I really have no clue. I just found a Wasaki GCN -> USB adaptor and posted a link. >_>;

Alexandrious
May 17, 2006, 12:53 AM
On 2006-05-16 20:41, Axios- wrote:
I really have no clue. I just found a Wasaki GCN -> USB adaptor and posted a link. >_>;

hmm...any PSU Betaers that used the GC controller to play can comment on this? As in, which adapter did you use and how well did it function?

Although considering that, I do like how comfortable a GC controller feels...but the PS2 controller has like 3 extra buttons...

Saner
May 17, 2006, 07:36 AM
maybe you are better off getting a Xbox360 controller since the analog sticks are positioned like Gamecube and it has many buttons like PS2. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Rihcky
May 17, 2006, 08:12 AM
The wired 360 controller is very comfortable, has plenty of buttons and is PC compatible. The GC controller used to be my favorite, but the 360 controller is just as comfortable and feel less cheap. The only downsides is the clunky guidebutton.

Don't even touch the wireless one though. Placing a huge batterypack right there, what were they thinking?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rihcky on 2006-05-17 06:13 ]</font>

Alexandrious
May 17, 2006, 09:26 AM
On 2006-05-17 06:12, Rihcky wrote:
The wired 360 controller is very comfortable, has plenty of buttons and is PC compatible. The GC controller used to be my favorite, but the 360 controller is just as comfortable and feel less cheap. The only downsides is the clunky guidebutton.

Don't even touch the wireless one though. Placing a huge batterypack right there, what were they thinking?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rihcky on 2006-05-17 06:13 ]</font>

Hmm, yea your right I shoulda thought bout it before. Looking at it now its like a combonation of both GC and PS2 pads. Plus theirs an official PC version of the controller on the market. Now if only I can get a hold of one to see how my hands like it. Ill probably go to a nearby gamestore and mess with one, heard they got their xbox 360 setup on Oblivion right now.

Edit: Looked it up, its been said that the Xbox 360 controller provides no configuration or game profile program in its installation disc. If any of you used one for the PSU is it easy to setup anyway?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alexandrious on 2006-05-17 07:39 ]</font>

Saner
May 17, 2006, 09:41 AM
ya the Xbox360 controller reminds me of the Dreamcast controller.

It's colored just like the Dreamcast controller too! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif it's very comfortable and the best controller out there.

I also love the PS2 controller too.

Alexandrious
May 17, 2006, 10:00 AM
On 2006-05-17 07:41, Saner wrote:
ya the Xbox360 controller reminds me of the Dreamcast controller.

It's colored just like the Dreamcast controller too! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif it's very comfortable and the best controller out there.

I also love the PS2 controller too.

Aye they are pretty good. Now if I can just find user input on if customizing the Xbox 360 controls for any game, or at least for PSU, is easily done, and how customizable it is for either of the two GC adapters x_x

Rihcky
May 17, 2006, 10:09 AM
I'm a total newb at these things, I Don't even game on my PC. But do you mean something like this?:
http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/index.html

Alexandrious
May 17, 2006, 10:33 AM
On 2006-05-17 08:09, Rihcky wrote:
I'm a total newb at these things, I Don't even game on my PC. But do you mean something like this?:
http://xbcd360guide.50webs.com/index.html

Hmm that seems to be a added driver installation the owner of that site created due to the Xbox 360s controller lack of of button map feature.

Its all well and good. Now if I can get a PSU Betaer who actually used a 360 controller to play and have his input. I can make my decision.

Saner
May 17, 2006, 11:54 AM
Hmm that seems to be a added driver installation the owner of that site created due to the Xbox 360s controller lack of of button map feature.

Its all well and good. Now if I can get a PSU Betaer who actually used a 360 controller to play and have his input. I can make my decision.

or you could flip a coin if their input isn't enough. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kamica
May 17, 2006, 01:35 PM
I use super joybox myself.

With super joybox, you can download a free calibrater

Cetus
May 17, 2006, 02:45 PM
myself i am still hsitating if i should get it because for PSO BB it ok the small problem i have.but for PSU i want to play freely wit no problem.So i may get it.I also have a Computer Gaempad as i told in a latedt post but it wireless ans look like PS2 whit the L2 and R2 removed and placed as normal button,and the two battery they gave does not last for long.I may get the Xbox 360 gamepad.

Oji_Retta
May 17, 2006, 02:54 PM
I wasn't paying attention up to now, but I've just noticed that the topic title is very gramatically incorrect ("How much button does it need.") ^_^

VioletSkye
May 17, 2006, 02:55 PM
On 2006-05-17 12:54, Oji_Retta wrote:
I wasn't paying attention up to now, but I've just noticed that the topic title is very gramatically incorrect ("How much button does it need.") ^_^

Not everyone speaks English as their native language http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Cetus
May 17, 2006, 03:00 PM
On 2006-05-17 12:55, VioletSkye wrote:

Not everyone speaks English as their native language http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

Yes he got it english is not my native language.Even thought i live in North America,my native language is French the official language of the province of quebec.sorry for the mistake but i do the best as i can.

Itsuki
May 17, 2006, 03:01 PM
On 2006-05-16 22:53, Alexandrious wrote:

On 2006-05-16 20:41, Axios- wrote:

hmm...any PSU Betaers that used the GC controller to play can comment on this? As in, which adapter did you use and how well did it function?

Although considering that, I do like how comfortable a GC controller feels...but the PS2 controller has like 3 extra buttons...

As stated, those 3 extra buttons probably wouldn't effect the game too much. Lyrise does make a point that you might want page left / HUD. But that is also something you wouldn't use in battle, so its not entirely necessary (since its mainly used for post-mission logs and for quick access to mail, two things you don't want to do in battle, though actually, you can't even check mission logs in battle)

Oji_Retta
May 17, 2006, 03:03 PM
On 2006-05-17 13:00, Cetus wrote:

On 2006-05-17 12:55, VioletSkye wrote:

Yes he got it english is not my native language.Even thought i live in North America,my native language is French the official language of the province of quebec.sorry for the mistake but i do the best as i can.

No no no. I am sorry. It was my mistake for not remembering that people from other countries post on these boards. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Sanjiro
Oct 19, 2006, 09:17 AM
Hey could one of you guys do the pc version like that? Show me which keys do what function.