PDA

View Full Version : Questions about ranged weapons

REJ-
May 15, 2006, 08:31 PM
How fast do guns shoot? also how far do the shots go?

Say how many shots they can fire per second, and the range in meters (or feet) so it's easier to understand.

Are there any semi-automatic guns? (I love my fast trigger finger)

I heard that when you use guns, you have to aim them yourself, like in a FPS. Can some weapons zoom in? Are there Headshots? How does that work if you're using a Gun/Saber combo?

EspioKaos
May 15, 2006, 10:32 PM
I didn't really use guns much at all in the beta, but I'll try to answer what I can.

On 2006-05-15 18:31, REJ- wrote:
Are there any semi-automatic guns? (I love my fast trigger finger)
The handgun that I used fired each time you pressed the appropriate button. It wasn't limited to a combo or anything like it was in PSO. So, you could just keep firing until your gun ran out of photon points. As for the rate and distance... I'm not sure. I didn't really pay attention to how far my shots went.

On 2006-05-15 18:31, REJ- wrote:
I heard that when you use guns, you have to aim them yourself, like in a FPS. Can some weapons zoom in? Are there Headshots? How does that work if you're using a Gun/Saber combo?

Right. No more auto-targeting like in PSO; it's all manual now.
No zoom feature that I know of, only the ability to switch to a stationary first-person mode.
Headshots? No. Though, I think that hitting certain enemies in the head causes more damage than hitting its leg or body.
With the gun/saber combo, you press the button to switch to your gun and shoot. Despite being able to dual-wield, you can't use both weapons simultaneously.

Kupi
May 15, 2006, 11:09 PM
You don't "have" to aim them yourself, at least not in the sense that you have to use the first-person mode. You can either use them in normal third-person mode, where the aim is slightly more forgiving (to my untrained eye watching the provided media), or you can plant your feet and get a first-person targeting reticule, which allows you to aim in any direction to pick out certain parts of a enemy body if it's allowed. Most normal enemies are just one big piece; FPS mode becomes more useful against bosses.

Speaking of FPS mode, I have a question about it myself. If another player's using FPS mode, can you tell? I mean, does their character lean back or tilt the gun upward or anything, or do the bullets just come out of the gun at an angle, as would happen with PSO's guns when you were shooting at an elevated enemy?

Saner
May 16, 2006, 03:33 PM
the mechgun looks much better this time. it fires constantly, than in 3 short bursts.

it's good firing guns don't feel like pulse combos anymore. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

REJ-
May 16, 2006, 04:58 PM
But how fast does it fire?

Lyrise
May 16, 2006, 05:04 PM
About 2-3 shots a second IIRC. Really, it eats through PP very fast.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyrise on 2006-05-16 15:05 ]</font>

Saner
May 16, 2006, 05:36 PM
its seems the camera view is always behind the character when they fire.

either that or the people in the videos were holding the camera/strafe button while firing.

Itsuki
May 16, 2006, 05:46 PM
mechgun damage is real low though. It seems more like a way to almost get things into status effects really fast. Since each bullet appears has roughly the same percent chance to do a status effect that a normal gun does.

As for fire rates... From memory, and looking at videos:
Mechgun - about 4 shots per second, but you have free movement while firing.
Rifle - about 3 shots per second, with about a 1/3rd of a second delay while firing.
Handgun - about 3 shots per second, but with free movement while firing (and doubled because you'r using 2 handguns)
Bow - Slightly slower than rifle, probably about 2 shots per second with a 1/2 second delay while firing.

So basically... they all fire pretty fast. But you're really restricted by PP usage. Sure you can shoot really really fast, but that just means you can empty a gun in 2/3minutes if needed (Hell, I know I've gone into boss battles and used ~800 PP on a bow because I'm almost continuously shooting.) In a run of Mizuraki A, I emptied ~5000 PP (5 guns) in about 15 minutes. Thats compared to on FO, where I use ~1000 PP in 15 minutes.

Saner
May 16, 2006, 05:48 PM
so... how will they recover PP? you buy ammo? or it recharges?

RFB
May 16, 2006, 05:52 PM
All weapons, and of course ranger weapons too, recover PP if you have them equipped, slowly. Also there are items to recover weapon PPs that you can buy, but they are quite expensive. And then, there's the recovery cubes. Floating cubes that restore all your weapons' PPs for a very small fee, and can be found in towns, outpost, and just before a boss.

Saner
May 16, 2006, 06:00 PM
ohhhhh so that's what those cubes are for. thanks. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

wasn't there some type of cubes in cities where players switch servers/blocks? or something like that?

Sgt_Shligger
May 16, 2006, 06:02 PM
So what do you do with the weapon when it runs out of PP? Does it run out faster on guns or is it only for guns?

Nuclearranger
May 16, 2006, 06:28 PM
PP is on all weapons and if a GUN is out its useless lol but a sword only uses PP for special atks and FOs use PP for spells. get it?

RFB
May 16, 2006, 06:31 PM
The only weapons that are still useful without PP are the melee weapons. Then again, melee weapons tend to have much less PP than a ranger/force weapon.

Yes, there are 2 cubes in towns/outposts: one for PP recovery, another one to switch server.

Itsuki
May 16, 2006, 08:19 PM
If it runs out you switch to a new gun? Or start shooting less? You'll probably recover enough PP to shoot maybe once every couple seconds. But thats not all that useful... It doesn't take THAT much time to quickly jump back to the outpost, refill and come back even though there aren't pipes, but atleast in the beta, i wasn't looked very highly at.

Numnuttz
May 16, 2006, 08:50 PM
seems like rangers this time around are going to be shafted and hunters are goning to get all teh rewards. is it me or does this game seem like hunters are the number one class to be?

Lyrise
May 16, 2006, 09:01 PM
On 2006-05-16 18:19, Itsuki-chan wrote:
If it runs out you switch to a new gun? Or start shooting less? You'll probably recover enough PP to shoot maybe once every couple seconds. But thats not all that useful... It doesn't take THAT much time to quickly jump back to the outpost, refill and come back even though there aren't pipes, but atleast in the beta, i wasn't looked very highly at.

YOu do realize, when you jump back to the outpost, your mission clock stops, and the overall mission clock is still running right? It might be ok if you can do it in less than 30 seconds, but anymore than that and its enough to drop your mission grading.

REJ-
May 16, 2006, 09:06 PM
You can be like Neo from the Matrix. Carry 12 guns in your trenchcoat, walk into a room full of enemies, unload, switch guns, unload again... repeat.

I think that when you get to higher levels, the mechgun and handgun will rise to power since you'll have your own ATP instead of relying on the gun's ATP to do damage.

Lyrise
May 16, 2006, 09:09 PM
On 2006-05-16 19:06, REJ- wrote:
You can be like Neo from the Matrix. Carry 12 guns in your trenchcoat, walk into a room full of enemies, unload, switch guns, unload again... repeat.

I think that when you get to higher levels, the mechgun and handgun will rise to power since you'll have your own ATP instead of relying on the gun's ATP to do damage.

Or you can further draw on the gun's power by grinding it a few times...5 grinds if succeeded will do wonders for ANY weapon, both attackwise and Photon Capacity-wise.

RFB
May 16, 2006, 09:14 PM
On 2006-05-16 19:01, Lyrise wrote:

YOu do realize, when you jump back to the outpost, your mission clock stops, and the overall mission clock is still running right? It might be ok if you can do it in less than 30 seconds, but anymore than that and its enough to drop your mission grading.

I did it quite a couple of times, and it's easily doable without losing rank.

Lyrise
May 16, 2006, 10:53 PM
Must be me then. The moment I slacked for even a minute, my grading gave me a 99%. Not enough for S, obviously,which seems to demand perfection.

Saner
May 17, 2006, 06:11 AM
On 2006-05-16 18:50, Numnuttz wrote:
seems like rangers this time around are going to be shafted and hunters are goning to get all teh rewards. is it me or does this game seem like hunters are the number one class to be?

well Hunters are on the front lines, while Rangers safely poke things from a distance. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

its more dangerous being a Hunter than a Ranger, so Hunters do deserve respect and rewards for fighting enemies like true warriors. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

patient
May 17, 2006, 09:24 AM
How are bows? Did anyone here that play with them have any comments.

I am really excited to have my RaCast plucking those strings?

Is it an effective weapon?

Lyrise
May 17, 2006, 09:46 AM
Bows are forces only. But they do pretty good amouns of damage, and hit pretty well as long as you don't have a Barret-art linked to it (If you do, prepare to miss a fair bit).

tank1
May 17, 2006, 10:53 AM
Hunters do deserve respect and rewards for fighting enemies like true warriors.

True warriors!? try fighting a war in real life with a sword youll be dead before the first bits of you have hit the ground lol. Just cuz we blast stuff from a distance dont make us any less manly (or womanly)we just have the common sense to stay away from teh evil gribbly aliens.
Ive also lost count of how many times ive pulled my HUmar buddy Xanoki's but out of the fire from a well placed blast from my Snow Queen.

RESPECT TEH RANGERS!

Saner
May 17, 2006, 11:52 AM
On 2006-05-17 08:53, tank1 wrote:

Hunters do deserve respect and rewards for fighting enemies like true warriors.

True warriors!? try fighting a war in real life with a sword youll be dead before the first bits of you have hit the ground lol. Just cuz we blast stuff from a distance dont make us any less manly (or womanly)we just have the common sense to stay away from teh evil gribbly aliens.
Ive also lost count of how many times ive pulled my HUmar buddy Xanoki's but out of the fire from a well placed blast from my Snow Queen.

RESPECT TEH RANGERS!

I didn't say Rangers were poor fighters. I mean that Hunters put their necks on the line more often than Rangers because they can't hit enemies while being safely 100 feet away, they have to fight up close to deliver heavy damage. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

besides you talk about real wars but most Phantasy Star monsters don't shoot back, so Rangers really don't have it as tough as Hunters do. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

tank1
May 17, 2006, 01:47 PM
Very true i just dont think we get the recognition we deserve *sob*

Saner
May 17, 2006, 01:51 PM
On 2006-05-17 11:47, tank1 wrote:

Well look at it this way, no one complains about Rangers since they provide excellent extra firepower. plus their range is unmatched. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

tank1
May 17, 2006, 02:05 PM
Lol thank you's ^.^

Kano-Okami
May 17, 2006, 02:43 PM
On 2006-05-17 11:51, Saner wrote:

On 2006-05-17 11:47, tank1 wrote:

Well look at it this way, no one complains about Rangers since they provide excellent extra firepower. plus their range is unmatched. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

It better be,
In PSO, my FOnewm had more range then any 'ranger' I ever met.
viva la zonde!
although from what I hear, zonde's a projectile now & razonde's a fierce strike from the sky (with probably some-what limited range) with that and rangers now being able to shoot without auto-target, they'll should be dropping flying baddies out the sky, left & right, while providing that essential coverage for our paw..er..hunter friends. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Itsuki
May 17, 2006, 02:56 PM
On 2006-05-16 20:53, Lyrise wrote:
Must be me then. The moment I slacked for even a minute, my grading gave me a 99%. Not enough for S, obviously,which seems to demand perfection.

Probably, it seemed like you could still make S on Dragon A at almost 15 minutes. In a good group, you'd be running dragon A in about 8-10 minutes. Running back to town for 30 seconds wouldn't be so bad, especially if your team continues.

In Relics B and early A, I would occasionally have parties where we went back to refill. Of course, at the time on my FO I was using closer to 2000+ PP. And we'd still be making S, unless someone died. (though at the time, someone was likely to die)

Lyrise
May 17, 2006, 06:35 PM
I suppose it might be the game deciding to always round up to the next percent. Of course this will be a good thing for lots of people. Spent too much time outside the mission? Let it drag to a point where the time spent over the time ellapsed equals 99.1%. Of course, this is just my own theory.

Going back on topic though, anyone ever get the max accuracy ratio for handgun-based barret arts? I know for rifles, it maxed at 81%. If the handgun accuracy ratio is too low, I may decide to just stick with Burning Hit, since the damage boost would help offset the poor hit rate. (Keep in mind, I'm no ranger, I don't have excess accuracy to overpower the hit ratio).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyrise on 2006-05-17 16:41 ]</font>

Sgt_Shligger
May 17, 2006, 07:09 PM
More questions.

1: So when the gun is out of PP it can't be used until it is refilled?
2: Do "rare" guns have more PP?

EspioKaos
May 17, 2006, 08:11 PM
On 2006-05-17 17:09, SgtShligger wrote:
1: So when the gun is out of PP it can't be used until it is refilled?

You'll be able to use it again once it's recharged enough photon energy to fire at least one shot.