PDA

View Full Version : What is the party exp system like in PSU?

Bastille
May 16, 2006, 09:25 PM
Even though I already know I am getting it, my friends need a bit more convincing before they might actually pay for PSU and so far I've managed to convince them that every problem has been solved except for their concerns about the exp system.

Is it the standard everyone who hits a monster will get exp, or did they change it so that everyone in a party will get exp even if they didn't touch the monster?

RFB
May 16, 2006, 09:28 PM
You hit, you get. You dont hit, you dont get. Same system as in PSO.

Bastille
May 16, 2006, 09:45 PM
Well then... I shall just have to hope that my friend will be happy enough with the ability to change from a high damaging single targeting weapon to a average damaging multi targeting weapon on the fly so that his hunter can still get exp off everything

Kimil
May 16, 2006, 09:52 PM
This sucks... -_-
This gimps Support mages then ><

Kyunji
May 16, 2006, 09:54 PM
Well, it's certainly better than the alternative of not having to do anything to get EXP. Just imagine...

"Now joining game room lolol2244. Please wait.

Rorfor62: hey

EXP +46

Runfur Lif: What's up?

EXP +52

EXP +52

EXP +68

Rorfor62: u ther man?

EXP +68

EXP +68

EXP +68

EXP +68

Runfur Lif: If you're not going to do anything, pl

Runfur Lif: ease leave.

Rorfor62: my friend cant get in

Rorfor62: go away plz

EXP +68

EXP +68

EXP +68

EXP +68

EXP +68

EXP +68

..."

Fleece
May 16, 2006, 09:57 PM
Even support mages dont stand around doing sod all. If you can only shift, deband, jellen, zalure and nothing else i believe you have a rubbish playing style.

Kimil
May 16, 2006, 10:03 PM
That's not the only alternative...

Have it so that people would get experience for being near the battle: Involved in the battle (though not specifically attack, but maybe healing

(edit)

For the Record: I'm not a support Mage so that's not my playing style) I'm Melee or Offencive Mage... or Ranger... Anything really

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kimil on 2006-05-16 20:04 ]</font>

Kyunji
May 16, 2006, 10:15 PM
On 2006-05-16 20:03, Kimil wrote:
That's not the only alternative...

Have it so that people would get experience for being near the battle: Involved in the battle (though not specifically attack, but maybe healing

(edit)

For the Record: I'm not a support Mage so that's not my playing style) I'm Melee or Offencive Mage... or Ranger... Anything really

Doesn't that still leave open the possibility that someone might just either follow the party around and not do anything, continuously cast a low PP spell, or both? I suppose that there's no perfect solution to this problem, but I think that the "tag" system will probably work out best.

Numnuttz
May 16, 2006, 10:21 PM
i think st thought of this problem already and they decided that the ability to use differnt weapons and such should correct the problem of some people missing out on exerpience. think abou it, since you can duel wield and mix weapons now. all you need to set up with is a handgun to hit it once than go attack something else with the other weapons you got. or you can always do the quick change of weapons.

Shinjiro
May 16, 2006, 10:25 PM
I think its a good system, you shouldn't get the exp if you don't take part in killing the monster.

Bastille
May 16, 2006, 10:25 PM
Well, with the lobby, you can lessen the amount of people who just sit there doing nothing and collecting exp, but I do think it would be better for those who cannot attack well or cannot multi hit well if exp was shared over a region

PJ
May 16, 2006, 10:27 PM
On 2006-05-16 19:52, Kimil wrote:
This sucks... -_-
This gimps Support mages then ><

Not... really?

You cast Rafoie, even once.

Wait, no, even weakening the enemies, assuming the system is generally the same for EXP, with Jellen/Zalure/Whatever the PSU alternatives are, you still get EXP. And if you are a GOOD supporter, you will be doing those.

Nedeti
May 16, 2006, 10:33 PM
they keep't it the same, but you will notice that the party member who will give the final blow will recieve more exp then others

AzureBlaze
May 16, 2006, 10:49 PM
From What I saw:
Nedeti is right, the 'final blow' does yeild more exp, it was that way on PSO ver/whatever after DCPSO. This was really noticible on the bosses.

You can now "Be on the team" and be in town. Odd? You bet. What this does is it shows you the HP/bar/name stat thing on your screen like in PSO (while you're in a game) but technically you're not. This causes different "Title Bars" to show up which let you know what everyone is doing without you. These go bing and boop and spew letters when they cross into new areas. Of course, you don't get EXP while this is going on.

I've also read that if you do 0 damage, you get 0 exp.
-PSO was NOT this way for HU. Like on ultimate PSODC you had like a hune with a spread needle tagging 0's off everything for EXP till she got the ATP.
-PSO GOT TO BE this way for FOs/fleshies, because all the JP support fo's had a conniption over their Jellen/Zalure not being able to tag monsters, so they switched to 'any tech hit yeilds exp'

Personally, (I'm a cast) I think they should keep the "any tech hit=exp" because FO is ruff enuff as it is. Jellen/Zalure SHOULD count as a strike, even though they don't directly damage. It keeps exp theives in check, and rewards the FO for being helpful to the weapon users.

ANIMEniac
May 16, 2006, 10:52 PM
well now there wont be any worry of playing with a guy that has a lvl 200 mag and god/equips on a lvl 4 char while you are trying to start a new char.

you: hey! save some kills for me

guy: well then keep up

you: i cant...

guy: your 5 lvls higher than me, just cast rafoie

you: for the love of mud im a lvl 9 HUmar!!!

NightHour13
May 16, 2006, 10:53 PM
Just like PJ said.

In a party, the Support mage would cast all the general spells for support but RaFoie the entire mob of monsters once or twice. This makes it especialy easy for them to get EXP because they can just walk in a room and worry about nothing haha. Once people's Deband and Shifta ran out, they would just put it back on. Other then that..yeah, RaFoie and run around wacking things randomly.

Bastille
May 16, 2006, 11:02 PM
On 2006-05-16 20:52, ANIMEniac wrote:
well now there wont be any worry of playing with a guy that has a lvl 200 mag and god/equips on a lvl 4 char while you are trying to start a new char.

you: hey! save some kills for me

guy: well then keep up

you: i cant...

guy: your 5 lvls higher than me, just cast rafoie

you: for the love of mud im a lvl 9 HUmar!!!

I think at that point I would just leave and create a private game for myself to solo in

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bastille on 2006-05-16 21:03 ]</font>

NightHour13
May 16, 2006, 11:06 PM
lol Im with Bastile

Bastille
May 16, 2006, 11:24 PM
Oh yeah... Is PSU going to be ala WoW where you buy the game at a store and then pay a monthly fee, or is it going to be like PSOBB where we download it? I assume it is going to be like WoW by the size

Axios-
May 16, 2006, 11:26 PM
It should be pretty safe to assume that we'll have to buy this game when you compare its scale to that of PSOBB.

NightHour13
May 16, 2006, 11:29 PM
Well, they have the box art for it...So unless they want to give out empty art boxes...I think we'll have to buy the game hahah

Bastille
May 16, 2006, 11:41 PM
You never know... They make box art for things and completely change it later <_<

Numnuttz
May 16, 2006, 11:56 PM
i would say it depends on what system you plan on gettin git for. im sure it you get the pc version theres goning to be a site to dowload it from sooner or later. but teh ones on ps2 and 360 will have to go to the store and buy it.

physic
May 17, 2006, 12:26 AM
I think they should give another option, ie you can set how teh exp is distributed. Though really, i never really had too much problem with pso exp, then again pso if you really wanted exp you d prolly just solo for a bit offline or so.

chibiLegolas
May 17, 2006, 01:10 AM
I have some beef on this "tagging" system for experience since it's too distracting. When I see enemies, I wanna kill them in the most effecient way possible right from the start and not be penalized for it cause I chose not to go around to make sure to tag the enemies hiding in the back.

On PSO, I loved my Hucaseal weilding daggers and sabers but am forced to waste my 1st attacks with a pistol/slicer/partisan, etc. just to tag and not be jipped of exp. Challenge Mode showed me how much fun it was to not worry about such things and concentrate on just taking down the enemy at hand at fast as possible.
I just thought the tagging system should be done away with.

BTW, I totally second your idea of an optional exp. distribution Physic. Give us the choice to decide. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

An older thread located here on the subject:
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=111688&forum=20&27

Tuxedose
May 17, 2006, 02:18 AM
I think that the exp system for PSo and Psu is perfect. I mean on psobb I have a humar with Cross Scar and Yamato. Both weapons hit only one enemy at a time. When I play with a force with rafoie or hunters with big swords well since my weapons usually hit pretty fast I have time to hit one or more enemies to get exp. I mean there is far from an enemy shortage. And usually if the ones with big swords and rafoie have a few enemies that they are holding in one place then I usually take the ones that they dont have control of. This actually makes kind of a good team work as well cause they dont have to worry about getting hit by those creatures that they forgot http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. Anyways I havent found it to hard to get exp in pso. Just have to be fast http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. and I think there will be enough enemies for everyone to get exp in psu and if u have that handgun ready as a hunter just to get a few first hits on enemies then I think it will even out the scores greatly http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. Nad when it comes to support forces well ehat can I say?? U have a can with shifta and deband maybe use them to buff the party. Switches to ur Staff with four attack magics in it and when the buff dies on other players u just switch back and buff again. Its not like the buff dies at once http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. I think that Pso and psu have the best exp systems cause it completly stops exp leeching. And if the level 200 character joins in and takes everything for himself??? Well that may be the only b ad thing however I usually dont habve that problem in psobb at least. Dunno why thou?? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. Lol.

Exp system grade form 1-10: Strong 9 http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tuxedose on 2006-05-17 00:19 ]</font>

Alexandrious
May 17, 2006, 02:42 AM
On 2006-05-17 00:37, Alexandrious wrote:
[quote]
On 2006-05-16 23:10, chibiLegolas wrote:
I have some beef on this "tagging" system for experience since it's too distracting. When I see enemies, I wanna kill them in the most effecient way possible right from the start and not be penalized for it cause I chose not to go around to make sure to tag the enemies hiding in the back.

On PSO, I loved my Hucaseal weilding daggers and sabers but am forced to waste my 1st attacks with a pistol/slicer/partisan, etc. just to tag and not be jipped of exp. Challenge Mode showed me how much fun it was to not worry about such things and concentrate on just taking down the enemy at hand at fast as possible.
I just thought the tagging system should be done away with.

BTW, I totally second your idea of an optional exp. distribution Physic. Give us the choice to decide. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

An older thread located here on the subject:
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=111688&forum=20&27

Guess its based on playstyle then. As for myself, I dont care about tagging, I can get exp anytime anywhere I want, I majorily play a Humar and yes I could throw a few Rafoies out to tag exp, but I dont do so, why?

Cuz im more focused on killing things as quickly and effeciently as possible. Faster you kill, faster you can progress thru the area and get on with whatever it is your trying to do. I will switch between weapons constantly and quickly to meet every situation, in order to kill as quickly as possible, so the team im with can move on as well.

I see three mobs ahead? I rush up taking out my sword and whack away at them, I see 6 mobs a bit far away? I take out my slicer, hit at them while I approach, quickly change to sword, Rabarta to try and freeze if need to and again bash at em, I see two mobs away from sword range on different sides of me, I take out my Twin Swords, kill whichever one first then get the other unless one of my teamates got em. I can change weapons in bout .60-1.80 seconds. Just takes practice.

If its got a pulse, its dead. Thats my mindset, and thats how I enjoy PSO, same with how ill enjoy PSU. So dont worry bout tagging, dont worry on the exp, if your doing some solid group with friends all the time and want to keep levels even play an alt while they catch up or somethin if thats the case. Simple as that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alexandrious on 2006-05-17 00:43 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alexandrious on 2006-05-17 00:45 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alexandrious on 2006-05-17 00:46 ]</font>

physic
May 17, 2006, 04:49 AM
people say teh exp system is good cause every body got to work, but really its easy for a fo to tag everything, or a ranger to pull out the old shot and do crap dmg to everything. Some situations its cool, like a pick up game or two, but if you playing with friends you might rather just share it out. though early on its easy to tag because yu have long fights, by later on when everyones super powered they will prolly be mowing down enemies like insane monkeys. That said, most of us are used to this system and it wont be that annoying if we got to do it the old way.

Saner
May 17, 2006, 05:15 AM
considering the speed and pacing, parties should have no problem tagging all visible enemies before finishing them off.

if it's too much you, just solo or try to keep up. party member should be courteous enough to make sure everyone tagged the enemies before going all out.

But it's really first come first serve.

There's no exp system to satisfy everyone, but the tag system is much better than a system where lazy people get away with free exp for nothing.

Saner
May 17, 2006, 05:21 AM
On 2006-05-16 22:26, physic wrote:
I think they should give another option, ie you can set how teh exp is distributed. Though really, i never really had too much problem with pso exp, then again pso if you really wanted exp you d prolly just solo for a bit offline or so.

well you can't use offline characters online and vice versa in PSU, but you can still solo online.

this is why communication can really help in situations like this. parties can come up with something to say to let people know they haven't tagged all/most visible enemies.

like the party leader could say "Exp set?"

and if a member says "Not ready.", then they know to hold off until they say "Go."

This would work with patient parties that are making sure no one is missing out on exp.

Tystys
May 17, 2006, 05:24 AM
Yeah, I think the PSU exp system isn't all that bad....
Besides, if you're worried about someone just staying there and leeching EXP, just get a party together that you trust in the lobby, and just go on from there.

Saner
May 17, 2006, 05:26 AM
On 2006-05-17 03:24, Tystys wrote:
Yeah, I think the PSU exp system isn't all that bad....
Besides, if you're worried about someone just staying there and leeching EXP, just get a party together that you trust in the lobby, and just go on from there.

lol that won't be easy right away, since everyone looks innocent, except the mischievous looking ones. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Tystys
May 17, 2006, 05:31 AM
I guess you're right, heheh....
OK ALL PSO-WORLD PLAYERS!
Let's agree on one thing! DO NOT JIP OTHERS OUT OF EXP! lol
There. Considering that most of the people playing PSU will be coming from here, we can all agree on that, heheh

Saner
May 17, 2006, 05:44 AM
On 2006-05-17 03:31, Tystys wrote:
I guess you're right, heheh....
OK ALL PSO-WORLD PLAYERS!
Let's agree on one thing! DO NOT JIP OTHERS OUT OF EXP! lol
There. Considering that most of the people playing PSU will be coming from here, we can all agree on that, heheh

Ya. besides, it looks like there's plenty of monsters to whack, so even not tagging a monster or two wouldn't hurt. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Shrevn
May 20, 2006, 11:12 AM
As a ranger on pso for gcube i never had a problem for exp you just have to know what to do... hell lv 145 if after all that work you dont know how to do things... i pitty you... noobs will be noobs and on this game they'll just shine more specially since they cant heal themselfs

Ancient
May 20, 2006, 02:01 PM
I think people should be more concerned with killing things than exp anyway. If all you want to play a game for is to watch a number rise, then grab a calculator and entertain yourself. I never really had much of a problem getting exp as a Hucast, every class has its own prefferable way of hitting multiple enemies. And besides, you can kill bosses for quick exp.
The tagging system is simply a solid way to make sure you get out of the game, exp wise, what you put into it. Players that don't know how to work and kill efficiently arnt going to get the big returns.
Of course any system can be abused, either by godly xp hogs or slovenly xp leeches. It's up to the players themselves to kep that to a minimum. Sega can't compensate for everything.

Rihcky
May 20, 2006, 02:05 PM
^
Yes, I'd rather enjoy the game than concentrate on rising my level as quick as I can.

GhostDog3
May 20, 2006, 04:54 PM
Hi. I'm glad to hear about the exp achievement.

Tystys
May 20, 2006, 05:06 PM
On 2006-05-20 12:01, Ancient wrote:
I think people should be more concerned with killing things than exp anyway. If all you want to play a game for is to watch a number rise, then grab a calculator and entertain yourself. I never really had much of a problem getting exp as a Hucast, every class has its own prefferable way of hitting multiple enemies. And besides, you can kill bosses for quick exp.
The tagging system is simply a solid way to make sure you get out of the game, exp wise, what you put into it. Players that don't know how to work and kill efficiently arnt going to get the big returns.
Of course any system can be abused, either by godly xp hogs or slovenly xp leeches. It's up to the players themselves to kep that to a minimum. Sega can't compensate for everything.

WE NEED MORE PEOPLE LIKE YOU, lol

REJ-
May 20, 2006, 05:41 PM
There's a simple way to perfect the EXP system so that support Forces get an even share for being involved in the fight. When a team-mates that have Shift/Deband on them attack an enemy, it counts as a hit for the Force that cast it.

SirenV
May 20, 2006, 09:45 PM
Well... I'm not sure how easy that would be. What if you have two, three forces? Since a more powerful Shifta/Deband (if it's anything like PSO) is likely to override a weaker one (and they won't stack)... there may be some competition going on. In that case, the supporter could just leech experience greatly that way, and that wouldnt be fair to the others. If it only worked once for the whole duration - that'd be pointless. If it worked for everyone who was S/D 'd the whole time anyone's attacking that supporter wouldnt really have to do much else, and the others would still really have to work at it. Unless the values wouldnt matter and somehow it would just recognize the fact of you "casting it on x who destroyed y" and giving you exp anyway - even if its not being functional... I don't know.

Like several others have said though - it falls back on people themselves to be consciencious of others. But annoyingly enough, many players aren't this gracious.

This being said however, the new Partner Machinery system will help alleviate this. There was nothing more annoying than having a low-level force (or whatever) with a level 200 mag fly in when you're trying to play with a team and destroy everything before you can get to it - and on top of that be a total jerk about it. So I'm sure things will require a little more effort to kill (as long as things stay legit) and in this there will be a bit more balance and time to tag enemies (or at least they'll be more split up among team members for balance).

Also, as Ancient said - although it's annoying to not really tag everything you want it's good to keep moving. Bosses really are the big ticket for experience. I mean rushing for the sake of rushing is sort of pointless too - you should probably take the time to enjoy the game, but I'm sure they're doing their best to keep things balanced... And if you just "play" things should move fast enough. Like a few have said - it's impossible really to keep everyone satisfied. Personally I think it is a bit unfortunate for supporters when you need to heal and whatnot and things can die before you always get to hit them. But like I said - the closer to legit the game stays I'm sure the easier this will be.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SirenV on 2006-05-20 19:57 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SirenV on 2006-05-20 20:24 ]</font>