PDA

View Full Version : Anyone plan on becoming a mercenary online?

Saner
May 17, 2006, 06:57 AM
Well of course a good mercenary should be properly experienced and at least equal or higher level than their clients. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

It might sound, what's the word....cheesy? no. I'll just make up a word. Schemeish!

but this could be a fun lighthearted thing to try out as long as you don't take it too seriously or improperly.
(I partially got this idea from my legendary experiences with PSIV, during Alys's memorable parts where she charged Hahn a certain amount of meseta for Hunter support. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif )

because after all, why would a party leader pay you to join them when they can find someone else to join for free?

That's where experience, power and tact comes in! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

*like I could charge someone 1 meseta to help them with a mission, and it is polite to only accept the money after the mission is completed.

**This removes the idea from their minds that you are some bum who is looking for a quick easy coin,
plus you promote yourself looking good as a honest mercenary who earns their meal.

** Also the value of the currency is another thing to take into account as a mercenary.
You must understand how much everything costs in the solar system to determine how much your 'professional' assistance is 'worth' in meseta amounts.

**Bonuses. It's best to negotiate with your client about drops beforehand. If they don't care what you pick up, then that's more benefits for you.

But your client's needs come first, so sometimes a good mercenary is not one who hogs all the treasure, even if they are drops you 'deserve'.

*** The relationship between mercenary and client is important because what you expect out of this job and what your client expects out of you, is a very VERY delicate balance.

A greedy mercenary will lose respect and trust and will less likely get hired again.

But for starters. charging 1 or 2 meseta may sound like nothing, but it ADDS UP. (plus that's not counting the meseta you get for completing missions)
Some people will actually not mind giving you that much after helping them out, but it's not just about the meseta as much as it's also about having a good relationship with your client, especially if you are the generous-type of mercenary who actually gives item/etc. drops you find to your client.

Your client benefits more, but in reality you steadily benefit more and more as well. The role of a mercenary and the relationship with a client is a very strategic one.

but being a mercenary truly shines when you have reached the some of highest levels of experience and power. And if the need for that power becomes very valuable and wanted. The best tips for mercenaries is: 1. Don't expect too much. 2. Don't only think about yourself. 3. Learn things other than being an extra member in a party. Understanding synthesizing can be a money-making craft that can work to your advantage.

but above all else, mercenaries serve others.

you don't even need to charge meseta, since missions give money upon completion, drops are worth meseta, and practically everyone is a mercenary!

Ya! everyone has their own ambitions and they help each other to achieve their goals and stuff to have more meseta and exp and equipment and stuff! It's a joint business to get what they want.

Of course friends and allies don't see it that way but cooperation is a tool that benefits all.

So ya you don't have to be a mercenary, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif although you can think of yourself as one if that's your style. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

you know, cooperation is not a tool, it's actually a blessing. or something like that.

Maybe I think too much...... nah. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Rihcky
May 17, 2006, 08:22 AM
Lol topique...

I am one of those people that will help out newbies, but I definately won't charge them for it.

Lux
May 17, 2006, 09:29 AM
Uhm why are you giving "hints" for being a "perfect mercenary"? I doubt anyone would do that.
Also 1 Meseta is nothing, you might as well do it for free.

I'd also prefer helping newbies for free like Rihcky as long as they're nice. It's a way better feeling to have helped a newbie than doing a "job" for some asshole that thinks he bought your ass.

Saner
May 17, 2006, 09:38 AM
On 2006-05-17 07:29, Lux wrote:
Uhm why are you giving "hints" for being a "perfect mercenary"? I doubt anyone would do that.
Also 1 Meseta is nothing, you might as well do it for free.

I'd also prefer helping newbies for free like Rihcky as long as they're nice. It's a way better feeling to have helped a newbie than doing a "job" for some asshole that thinks he bought your ass.

lol well I wasn't serious about this.

I mean 1 meseta is 'nothing', which means it wouldn't hurt them to give you 1 meseta. lol.

It's silly yet funny to do maybe in the right condition.

of course they can choose to not pay you one meseta and you can just laugh it off. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Parties shouldn't be bonded through money, but throwing a meseta here and there would be something funny to do, as long as you don't do it often. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Nisshoku
May 17, 2006, 10:44 AM
Why charge them, when you can tweak the game to get an equal share of the loot? Not to mention after every mission, you get Meseta, depending on Rank.

tank1
May 17, 2006, 10:47 AM
Ill always help people i come across online aslong as there polite.
(and i can afford it XD )

Saner
May 17, 2006, 11:44 AM
On 2006-05-17 08:44, -Nisshoku- wrote:
Why charge them, when you can tweak the game to get an equal share of the loot? Not to mention after every mission, you get Meseta, depending on Rank.

aaaah some still don't get it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

don't worry it's nothing. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

therealAERO
May 17, 2006, 11:55 AM
I get what you mean and its an interesting idea. Hopefully people will take to it, as it would add to the variety of the game. If I saw a high level person and I didn't have others to party with I sure as hell would pay him so he could help me out. Sounds like an interesting job, but in order to be a mercenary you have to be strong, like strong above all others.

Saner
May 17, 2006, 12:01 PM
On 2006-05-17 09:55, therealAERO wrote:
I get what you mean and its an interesting idea. Hopefully people will take to it, as it would add to the variety of the game. If I saw a high level person and I didn't have others to party with I sure as hell would pay him so he could help me out. Sounds like an interesting job, but in order to be a mercenary you have to be strong, like strong above all others.

ya definitely, the level difference is the key to express a mercenary's value and usefulness.

but of course a mercenary should also be humble and not charge 80,000 for a mission, or else they'll be seeking employment for a looooong tiiiime. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

RedX
May 17, 2006, 01:52 PM
I think it is a great idea. i might do it once i get strong.

Saner
May 17, 2006, 03:31 PM
On 2006-05-17 11:52, RedX wrote:
I think it is a great idea. i might do it once I get strong.

yay! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

I was starting to think it sounded too ambitious. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-05-17 13:31 ]</font>

Lux
May 17, 2006, 04:18 PM
Mmm I really just don't get to like this idea.
Imagine the game's community consisted solely of people who will charge you Meseta for any "favor", no matter how little. No one says "thanks that was kind of you, happy to play again with you sometime!" but "GIB MESETA B00N!!1". I wouldn't feel very welcome in such an online game.

mechatra
May 17, 2006, 04:27 PM
This is esentially just another RP concept really isn't it? Well it sounds interesting, and I'd maybe try it out once or twice if I'm in the position to do so, but I have to say Lux's point does seem rather valid.
<=/

Nedeti
May 17, 2006, 04:31 PM
maybe mercenary wasn't the best word... but me well ill just like i do, im more of a explorer some futuristic warrior http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif kinda like a samurai, i have a path to follow

Saner
May 17, 2006, 06:57 PM
On 2006-05-17 14:18, Lux wrote:
Mmm I really just don't get to like this idea.
Imagine the game's community consisted solely of people who will charge you Meseta for any "favor", no matter how little. No one says "thanks that was kind of you, happy to play again with you sometime!" but "GIB MESETA B00N!!1". I wouldn't feel very welcome in such an online game.

thats the thing not even 5% would be doing this idea. the community will always be diverse with all kinds of people, so you have nothing to worry about.

Maybe it was worded wrong, but of course this idea should not be used among friends and even strangers, just special occassions and really when you are really high level.

Among Guardians, everyone benefits by simply partying together, so being a mercenary who charges others will be very well, it won't work so well in this game since people can solo, plus you get meseta anyways for completing missions and stuff.

but you know, Synthesis crafting may turn out to be a major money making career since if you're good at it, you might get lots of requests to synthesize stuff for others, or even synthesize your own stuff and sell them at reasonable prices.

Fleece
May 17, 2006, 07:49 PM
If I did this seeing as its 6 person's per team I'd start a mercenary outfit where people could rent upto 5 high level people to help them do rare runs/power level etc.

THAT would be the way to mercenary success in PSU.

Obviously Times could be arranged suitable to the client and price would depend on the mission selected.
Weapons and armours taken on said missions are all chosen and cared for by my crack commando elite's who have spent hours training together to form a tight efficient battle unit.

therealAERO
May 18, 2006, 12:45 AM
Is this basically being a body guard? Cause thats how I see it. Give your life to protect the client. Now thats a noble cause.

Alexandrious
May 18, 2006, 01:00 AM
In a game like this I dun see how the "Mercenary Player job" can be done.

In a game like FFXI though, that can be easily done, I have seen people make mercenary advertisements to kill Avatars *the summoned mobs* for low level summoner wannabes wantin em before the patch came in on the lv 20 summoner solo fights.

Ive also seen mercenary players charge money to get players thru limit break quests, either by taking them to where they need to go or hunting the item they need for them. The advantage to this for the player is they can get it done quickly and fast, and not go thru the hassle of finding a group or getting higher lved lsmates to help them.

In a game like WoW its also possible. Happen to own alot of gold by buying low and selling high? Or just happen to be at max lv and farm for gold alot or craft items for sale? You wonder, what can ya do with that gold?

WoW is supposedly pvp centric. I have seen people who get ganked by a lv 60 of the other side, and get mocked or teased bout it thru emotes by the pker. So what can the victim do? Hire someone with alot of PVP skill, is basically a badarse, and have him help you find the pker, and camp his corpse till you've had enough.

Now that kinda mercenary work, I would have loved to do since back in my WoW days I was a badarse lol.

All in all, I dont see how being a mercenary would work at all in PSU, except maybe if your a roleplayer wanting to roleplay a mercenary for fun. Thats about it.

HiKeRI
May 18, 2006, 01:10 AM
I have always played the role of a mercenary, 1 meseta do not counts but i would not call helping, rather just assisting the clients which is different and depending on how i did, i get paid and i accept 100 meseta or more though, on FFXI i did the role and got famous, people knew me and i had alot of friends more to that my name was known on the whole server for doing that and everytime i went online they called me to assist them on killing somewhat monster or boss, which reminded me on Vrtra i got paid 2 millions for making a stratergy to them and how to do this and that, a mercenary is not just assisting but organizing stuff! ;D

JAR
May 20, 2006, 11:13 PM
Yeah helping people for free can turn out to be more valuable than accepting money. Charity work was a good way to build trust in my wow guild, not to mention it feels good to help other players out(well those who deserve it!!!).

Tystys
May 20, 2006, 11:17 PM
On 2006-05-20 21:13, JAR wrote:
Yeah helping people for free can turn out to be more valuable than accepting money. Charity work was a good way to build trust in my wow guild, not to mention it feels good to help other players out(well those who deserve it!!!).

Don't you juse hate it when you help me some newbie, and he uses his new found powers to push people around? Than you gotta beat him with a stick?
Yeah, I hate that

Witchblade56
May 21, 2006, 05:37 AM
I dunno I always liked walking into a room and helping friends with dark falz on hard or very hard on my Hunewearl that was level 180+. It always made me happy to help others without thought of recompense.

I can see though that this could be a form of legitimate income. I know of people in FFXI that charged for soloing the high level avatar fights for people that wanted their avatars without the hassle of soloing. You could form a guild that did just that. The possibilities are endless.

Nika
May 21, 2006, 07:15 AM
Sometimes, it is nice that someone will help other person to clear mission for money.,because when I play JP PSOBB, it is very hard to find somebody to help me clear some mission. Especially, when the mission have time limted,or very hard one. I still strick at mission 5-4 (ultimate) until now,becaz can't find a full good team to play. very few people want to play this mission and I need 4.

Shrevn
May 22, 2006, 09:57 AM
I never really cared much about meseta since i duped mine to hell, hell i doubt anyone ever cared either since it was so common. Now its a different story but i aint helping no noobies out since i'll be one on my own lol

Neo_Strife
Jun 22, 2006, 12:45 PM
"I would walk around and ask people do they need a extra hand and lend my services for free, but lets say while your fighting and the monster you both kill releases a rare what would be the best thing to do, work out a agreement."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Neo_Strife on 2006-06-22 10:46 ]</font>

Spellbinder
Jun 22, 2006, 12:51 PM
On 2006-05-17 23:00, Alexandrious wrote:
In a game like FFXI though, that can be easily done, I have seen people make mercenary advertisements to kill Avatars *the summoned mobs* for low level summoner wannabes wantin em before the patch came in on the lv 20 summoner solo fights.

Hehe, I remember this oh so well. I paid a million Gil to a group of Tarutaru mercenaries to help me take down Fenrir with my Lv 60 Whitemage... good times good times.

DarthTyranus
Jun 22, 2006, 06:53 PM
Well I'd help newd's if need be, only on a few conditions.

Sotaka
Jun 22, 2006, 07:04 PM
I've never believed in charging people for help, mostly because that means that the person I helped is more likely to become a good person. All charging does is stimulate the charge-for-everything mindset.

MMO's should be about helping eachother and having fun, not about self-benefit. Then again, my ideals are also very old.

Ryoten
Jun 23, 2006, 10:31 AM
I agree with you. Since almost everyone on here will be playing PSU in no time, we should help other newbies out in the game. Since monster have their own level & such, high level characters will be in great need.

xMutex
Jun 23, 2006, 11:54 AM
It all depends on the mood I'm in i dout I'd ever charge someone because would take to long to find takers to pay you instead I'd jsut join up another party and be having instant fun http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif but like I said never know it's all about the mood http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ZekeStargazer
Jun 23, 2006, 11:51 PM
Even if being a mercenary "won't" work out most of the time, it would be quite an amazing experience to hire or be hired for your power and knowledge of the game. Every different kind of person is needed in a game and the mercenary roleplayers have always been "let down" to the eyes of everyone else and those who can't imagine it as a profitable job to do. But to those who roleplay as a mercenary, the experience is incredible. It isn't making the game work for you so much as you adding to the game by bringing your own ideas and roleplaying thoughts.

KuroNetsune
Jun 24, 2006, 03:22 PM
definetly planning on implementing a mercenary group of sorts along with my boyfriend, but, this is just a RolePlay thing, of course, to me nothing is better than sneak around to help low levels and specially newcomers to the game, not by giving them strong items or beating the game for them, but to actually teach them about it

but of course, for those who are well int othe RP fields, we will most likely be offering our services as a team X3

it all eventually comes down to the focus and the priority

but of course >.> that wont be that soon, first have to get a good grip of the game and a decent level <.<

Saner
Jun 24, 2006, 03:33 PM
yup it's definitely more fun in a lighthearted role-playing style. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

KuroNetsune
Jun 24, 2006, 06:14 PM
I agree with many, just outright jumping in the lobbies shouting out to help players in exchange of meseta is not only lame but also gives a bad greedy image

but if things are handled in a nice In-Character way, wich can be to announce your 'services' on a registered forum, or even site, you know, have it be organized , it can even aid for us RP enthusiasts to create a more lively environment :3 and the ones who dont care for it, will not be bothered by it

ZekeStargazer
Jun 24, 2006, 10:53 PM
Being able to help others is a big contribution to the game. I don't know if anyone else can relate (I think we all can), but I know that I took my first steps into the game with the help of an older wiser player. This is what the game is about. I don't want to seem like I am advertising, but Freelance is a guild that is bringing people like yourselves together. It is not only a place to meet new friends, but also a spot for you and your old friends to regroup and reorganize yourself. Through the capabilities of the site ( http://fl.shorturl.com ) you can do just that and more. Whether you enjoy adding the roleplay aspect to the game or just like to level up through the game's mechanics, Freelance is the place to be. I enjoy the adding the roleplay aspect into the game as much as possible becuase I think that I get more out of it that way.

Sotaka
Jun 24, 2006, 10:58 PM
On 2006-06-24 20:53, ZekeStargazer wrote:
Being able to help others is a big contribution to the game. I don't know if anyone else can relate (I think we all can), but I know that I took my first steps into the game with the help of an older wiser player. This is what the game is about. I don't want to seem like I am advertising, but Freelance is a guild that is bringing people like yourselves together. It is not only a place to meet new friends, but also a spot for you and your old friends to regroup and reorganize yourself. Through the capabilities of the site ( http://fl.shorturl.com ) you can do just that and more. Whether you enjoy adding the roleplay aspect to the game or just like to level up through the game's mechanics, Freelance is the place to be. I enjoy the adding the roleplay aspect into the game as much as possible becuase I think that I get more out of it that way.

I hate to tell you this, but you should really write for commercials. >_>

KuroNetsune
Jun 25, 2006, 12:58 AM
*joins the guild without even giving it a second thought* =o~

Ryo_Hayasa
Jun 26, 2006, 05:38 PM
Bah, we need to get more of these Role players together, it sounds like fun enough, hah!

It would be interesting, there's a monster or boss that are giving a young group of heroes trouble, so the leader of the group is forced to use "His/Her" Card.

Heh, interesting enough.

SekotheFOmar
Jun 26, 2006, 05:57 PM
Psh, why ahead of you buddy, I planned on doing that in every game before I bought them. Unless theres a pretty lady, you got to admit when theres a girl in the group that needs help you would probably charge nothing

KuroNetsune
Jun 26, 2006, 10:52 PM
On 2006-06-26 15:57, SekotheFOmar wrote:
Psh, why ahead of you buddy, I planned on doing that in every game before I bought them. Unless theres a pretty lady, you got to admit when theres a girl in the group that needs help you would probably charge nothing

considering a large percentage of female characters are male, I would rather not do discounts XD

Ryo_Hayasa
Jun 26, 2006, 11:15 PM
I might be getting carried away with this, but wouldn't it be interesting: (Taking this conceof course)

you appear in the party, and before you in a small unit of Money. You pick it up, and all you say is "Alright, Where's the problem."