PDA

View Full Version : Miyoshi-san says offline first...

RoninJoku
May 17, 2006, 09:03 PM
Miyoshi-san really seemed to want to stress that everyone plays the offline mode before they head online... With this in mind, do you think you will change your mind about when you play what??

RFB
May 17, 2006, 09:06 PM
No way. I'll try to keep it balanced, but no way in the blue monkey hell I'll go full offline first.

Those of us that are waiting PSU as old PSO players, we learnt to love PSO for the online. For the people. The community. PSO was great because it was O-nline. A natural disaster of epic proportions would have to happen to stop me from going online the very first day the game reaches my hands.

Numnuttz
May 17, 2006, 09:06 PM
i plan to play maybe the first part of offline first to get the hang of things but than after that im online. than when i cant connect to the internet or teh servers are beign worked on ill try and finsih offline.

Ryna
May 17, 2006, 09:09 PM
The reason that Miyoshi-san wants people to play offline first is to learn the basic game mechanics. Also, it seems there will be some elements in online mode that tie into the end of Story Mode.

YohYoh
May 17, 2006, 09:09 PM
Im gonna go online first, so I can try the character creation.

mech259_
May 17, 2006, 09:18 PM
I might start to balance between offline and online after I've been playing online for a month.

Axios-
May 17, 2006, 09:20 PM
I think I'm still going online first because, as a PSO player, I know I can't resist it. However, I think I'm bumping the story mode up in my urgency list after reading the interview.

Aside: I remember telling somebody about PSO on GCN, and they tried to convince me that GCN can't go online even though the game was called Phantasy Star Online.

Shinjiro
May 17, 2006, 09:22 PM
I'll probably play online for a couple hours to get the hang of it then play online, I dont wanna look like a total noobcake! XD

RoninJoku
May 17, 2006, 09:24 PM
Personally, I will probably play online first, just because I have never gotten to experience an online game in the first days of it's release. And the idea really excites me to be a part of it all... However, After I get a good fill of online in, I will gradually start incorporating the story mode... At which point, I'm sure I will become entralled and it will take up the majority of my play-time until it is finished... Hopefully I won't spoil any elements of the story from playing it online first...

mech259_
May 17, 2006, 09:24 PM
On 2006-05-17 19:20, Axios- wrote:
I think I'm still going online first because, as a PSO player, I know I can't resist it. However, I think I'm bumping the story mode up in my urgency list after reading the interview.

Aside: I remember telling somebody about PSO on GCN, and they tried to convince me that GCN can't go online even though the game was called Phantasy Star Online.

GCN can't go online, n00b. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

VR-Raiden
May 17, 2006, 09:26 PM
When I get this game, I'm immediately making my character and going online...after that I doubt i'll be able to play story with me knowing i could be online.

It'll be a while before i play offline.

Alexandrious
May 17, 2006, 09:27 PM
Ill probably balance it out. However, if their are server down issues, which can most likely happen with new release and all, hopefully you can still play Storymode since you do have to connect online to even play it.

But then again, it makes no sense to make the completely seperated "offline" mode attatched to any servers, except maybe the Patch servers.

Zarode
May 17, 2006, 09:28 PM
I'll be playing offline first. I mean, cmon, he's worked so hard on the story, why not give it a try? Besides, I like to see what I can do with my characters before I go mess it up online...

Zeota
May 17, 2006, 09:31 PM
Maybe I'll play offline during the inevitable online boredom spells.

Tystys
May 17, 2006, 09:45 PM
I'll play offline to learn the basic game mechanics, than jump onto Online. Ofcourse I will need to finish Single Player mode...just so I can say I did it, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

NightHour13
May 17, 2006, 09:59 PM
Bah! I dont know what to do. Im a story fanatic but at the same time...I fear suffering that ultimate pain that is beeing level 1 when you see people who are level 30 already. FIRST DAY.

Im always worried about not beeing able to see the frontier with the front line, but then again the online story may seem lifeless and incomplete if i didnt know what happened before it. I may rush through story mode like a mad man, then fly online to make my character.

Reystradamus
May 17, 2006, 10:02 PM
im goin straight ONLINE..not even readin the instruction manual!

astuarlen
May 17, 2006, 10:53 PM
I'll most likely stick to online. If, however, I run out of money for the monthly fees, I might consider playing offline. But story mode doesn't interest me; I prefer to create my own character.

Kupi
May 17, 2006, 10:56 PM
On 2006-05-17 20:02, Reystradamus wrote:
im goin straight ONLINE..not even readin the instruction manual!

I suppose you'll be the one asking HOW I MINE FOR FISH? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/twak.gif

In all seriousness, I'm definitely going to start with an offline play session. No matter how close to "the frontier" I may get, someone's always going to be ahead of me, so I'm not going to try to beat the rush. Plus, I'd like to be well-aquainted with the canon before I start writing fanfics (assuming my current work is actually finished by then, XD). And if the interview is any indication, online characters may progress at an offline-character rate. Read: it's Version 1 all over again. I mean, the Beta capped class levels at 10. If the overall cap is 20, even if it's a little harder to attain... that doesn't bode well for powerlevellers.

Cetus
May 17, 2006, 10:57 PM
What ever he said in the interview didn't motive it to do it as i was already planing to play it offline first untill 2007.As for now ican't made my own account on their billing site.I needed to ask my mother for PSO BB and don't want to take the one she made or make her a new one when i can wait and have my own.I could always play The Story mode and the Extra mode to wait.and if i had a urge to play online il go to PSO BB whic i will cancel for 2007 .Also i like to be helped by higher level giving me a bigger chance to survive by beeing protected.Also they can bring me to zone whit ennemy that give more exp and i LV up faster.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cetus on 2006-05-17 21:02 ]</font>

SephYuyX
May 17, 2006, 11:02 PM
Ive always played offline first. This enables you to get more money, rares, levels and game play experiance than it would online.

Kyuu
May 17, 2006, 11:18 PM
On 2006-05-17 21:02, SephirothYuyX wrote:
Ive always played offline first. This enables you to get more money, rares, levels and game play experiance than it would online.
You do realize that your offline character is 100% seperate from your online one, right? As in, nothing you get playing the offline story-mode will transfer over to your online character, unless perhaps there's some little bonus you get for beating story-mode.

SephYuyX
May 17, 2006, 11:28 PM
On 2006-05-17 21:18, Kyuu wrote:

On 2006-05-17 21:02, SephirothYuyX wrote:
Ive always played offline first. This enables you to get more money, rares, levels and ||game play experiance|| than it would online.
You do realize that your offline character is 100% seperate from your online one, right? As in, nothing you get playing the offline story-mode will transfer over to your online character, unless perhaps there's some little bonus you get for beating story-mode.

Also, was stating in general including older PS games. As well as what you have said, perhapse there is a bonus you receive upon completing offline. Id rather screw my character up offline, than my lvl200 (w/e) online character, depending on the similiarites of on/offline.

Kyuu
May 17, 2006, 11:38 PM
Ah, well I can certainly agree with the game play experience part, but the mention of money, rares, and levels confused me a bit. >.>

hypersaxon
May 18, 2006, 12:47 AM
I'm gonna play offline first, but I'll first quick set up my online account and fiddle with the character customization of course http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Tuxedose
May 18, 2006, 12:51 AM
Well I planned all the time tp play offline first. I mean the story seems great!!!. And if the game is 40 hours max in offline length then it will not take to long to finish it and go online. I am going to love offline and online in that game http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif. But offline first for an epic story http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif wich is one of the best things with rpgs.

Rihcky
May 18, 2006, 03:39 AM
On 2006-05-17 19:20, Axios- wrote:

I feel the same way. I really want to play the storymode. REALLY.
But I know that when I get the game I just have to go online.

Tystys
May 18, 2006, 05:25 AM
I bet I can be one of the top 10 people to beat it, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

ShadowDragon28
May 18, 2006, 06:46 AM
I'm playing Offline storymode first, then Extra Mode,
then once I've gone like 50%-80% (or completed) storymode, and *if* I can afford any online fee their may be, then I'll play online.

I'll have like lvl 1 character online after it's been out for 3 mo., and ppl will think I'm a noob, even though I've played PSO for over 5 years and been playing PSU ofline for over a month. LOL... ah well.

Saner
May 18, 2006, 09:33 AM
Takao Miyoshi: One of the recommendations I have for the fans is to play through PSU's story mode first so that you can really enjoy the game.

As you progress through the story, the characters can be customized and you'll get to know more about the playability of the characters, as well as the other elements and features in the game.

After you've done story mode, go online and play, it will be much more exciting. When you go online, just enjoy the experience of exploring all of the storylines and features. As mentioned, I think of PSU as a long project, so enjoy the game as long as you can.

I am convinced. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

1.While there is no wrong way to play, I think his recommendation is a smart one, especially if you plan on going full-time online, why not save the best for last?

2.Besides online's story takes place after the offline story, so it really helps to play through the offline story to full understand everything about this solar system. Not only the characters, but also the cultures and the driving forces behind everything.

3. the online experience would be much MUCH more exciting if you save it for last after completing the offline story, by doing so, the game feels like a whole bigger universe this way.

4. I too want to play online but jumping straight to online, I realize it would be awkward to experience the future without learning the past. By doing so, the solar system feels more natural and grand since you are aware of things you normally are not aware of if you save the offline story for later.

5. I think his recommendation should not be taken lightly.

Some people will still balance between offline and online, others will just focus 100% on online, but I see what he means and playing offline first (all the way) will definitely make the online experience after it much more grand in ways that can't even be described! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Play through the offline story, and the rest of the time can be yours online, all the time! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Saner
May 18, 2006, 09:35 AM
On 2006-05-18 04:46, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
I'm playing Offline storymode first, then Extra Mode,
then once I've gone like 50%-80% (or completed) storymode, and *if* I can afford any online fee their may be, then I'll play online.

I'll have like lvl 1 character online after it's been out for 3 mo., and ppl will think I'm a noob, even though I've played PSO for over 5 years and been playing PSU ofline for over a month. LOL... ah well.

there's nothing wrong with that. there will still be newcomers at level 1, and even veterans using new characters that start at level 1, so don't worry! you won't miss out!

Shivore
May 18, 2006, 10:08 AM
GCN can't go online, n00b. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_rolleyes.gif

I can't tell if that was sarcastic or not, so I'll assume it wasn't. Underneath the GC is a slot for a modem attachment. Read the GC user-manual, it's right there. I have seen the modem in stores, not recently but I have seen it. PSO is the only GC game I have ever heard of to use it, but yes: the GC CAN go online.

On-Topic: I'll still go online first without a doubt, but I'll also go heavy into SP shortly there-after.

Stepper
May 18, 2006, 05:14 PM
What Saner said makes a lot of sense to me. If you play through the whole story mode, you get to experience more of the game, which IMO is much more satisfying than having a good online character early on.

Also, one of the things I've been looking forward to is being able to experiment the different classes, weapons, etc. with Ethan before I decide how I want my online character to be set up.