PDA

View Full Version : PSU on the Wii

Axios-
May 17, 2006, 09:11 PM
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Axios- on 2006-05-17 19:15 ]</font>

RoninJoku
May 17, 2006, 09:15 PM
Sure! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif Let's just make sure it's on the same servers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

However, I'm not sure if I would want the wiimote to take a back-seat yet or not...

RFB
May 17, 2006, 09:16 PM
I wouldnt mind a Wii version, but I really cant see it happening...

NightHour13
May 17, 2006, 09:17 PM
Sounds great! Why the monkey not =)

vitius137
May 17, 2006, 09:17 PM
Sure why not. I think the best control scheme (for me) would to make it like a third person shooter sort of way. If anyone here has ever played gunz online, that is kinda what I mean. (Gunz used guns as well as melee weapons like swords)

you would have a cursor that always stays in the middle and moving the wii-mote would turn you around. You can tilt up/down to change position of your melee attack and maybe aim properly with rangers.

Bastille
May 17, 2006, 09:39 PM
If it does come out for the Wii, it will come out way later than the rest due to the release date of the Wii.

Axios-
May 17, 2006, 09:43 PM
Yeah, I assume it would come out later. I definitely don't expect this version of PSU to be ported. Since the longevity of this project was stressed, I'd imagine that'd it come somewhere along the lines of multiple PSU versions (similar to PSODC v1 -> PSODC v2 -> PSOGC, etc).

Bastille
May 17, 2006, 09:44 PM
Sega knows far too well if they pull that again, they will suffer greatly

Axios-
May 17, 2006, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I certainly hope that they don't go as overboard as they did with PSO, but if PSU were to be constrained to its current situation I feel that a Wii version would be a bit less likely.

Shinjiro
May 17, 2006, 09:55 PM
Although its a cool concept, its not very likely that this will happen; If it did though... Wii, all the way! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shinjiro on 2006-05-17 19:57 ]</font>

HiKeRI
May 17, 2006, 11:26 PM
If it comes on Wii, im sure the Nintendo Wii will overcome Ps2 Xbox360 and PC why? You controlling your char by moving or sitting down targeting mobs moving the controller shooting will be easier or moving controller targeting mobs casting spells... Wii all the way, and this will attract alot of people FOR SURE, i mean the reason i got the GC is cause i wanted to continue playing PSO, and the only game i have on GC is PSO ever since it came out i got it for that game, bcuz i loved the DC version, and im sure if it comes out on the Wii ill buy it bcuz of the controller + PSU...

SephYuyX
May 17, 2006, 11:31 PM
I dont think Wii would utilize the remote very well on PSU. Wii is my next gen of choice, but I dont see PSU/PSO gameplay working very well with it.

Skye-Fox713
May 17, 2006, 11:34 PM
yes i think psu should be on the Wii as well, and is that the pic of the offical guide book cover?

DamonKatu
May 17, 2006, 11:40 PM
Remember the last piost I made about the Wii? (somepme please pull that back up. I miss place the last quote)

Axios-
May 17, 2006, 11:53 PM
I don't think that the PSU would utilize the remote as completely as many other Wii games, but I don't think it needs to use it too much. If all it did was what I said in an earlier post, I'd be happy. It's about having controller functionality yet not making that functionality seem forced. If they put too much weight on it, it'd kill the natural flow of the game that the Wii controller demands.

And no, that's not the official cover. In the original interview topic, there was a discussion about official PSO and future PSU guides. Someone posted a picture of the Versus Books PSO guide. Then I made that PSU book up, but the topic was locked just minutes before I was going to post it. ;-;

Latiku
May 17, 2006, 11:57 PM
HUZZAH!!! VERSUS!!! You sir have made my day!

HiKeRI
May 18, 2006, 01:37 AM
I would really love to see PSU on ps2 or wii, bcuz im getting them both... i dont like Xbox360 that much, all though im planing on playing it on the pc

FD3S
May 18, 2006, 01:56 AM
Also remember that the Wii is compatible with the Gamecube controller...so it does not need to use the Wii-mote at all. I think since the game is almost finished it would be somewhat counter-productive to try and re-work the controls to fit the Wii-mote.

If the Wii is a success (which it most likely will be) the next game in the PSU series can make some very interesting uses of the Wii-mote.

blueboy92
May 18, 2006, 04:16 AM
i can see the star wars fans going around swinging the Wii controllers around like it was lightsaber =x lol

ShadowDragon28
May 18, 2006, 06:56 AM
A dream ...yes. perhaps a PSU vers.2 on Wii someday?..that would be coolness id such came true.

Is that Versus Book image for real? or a Photoshop mock-up?

As a digital artist, to me it looks like a fake image made in Photoshop.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-05-18 04:57 ]</font>

Axios-
May 18, 2006, 07:42 AM
I think that the built-in controller's speaker would also be a nice addition. It'd be cool to hear the sound effects from swinging a saber or shooting a handgun coming from your hand.

That cover is a mock-up I did after a topic about Versus books came up in and earlier thread, and as a digital artist, it looks as fake as the real cover does.

Saner
May 18, 2006, 01:01 PM
I don't agree with porting PSU to more systems.

while it offers access to different system users, including the Xbox360 was a little more than necessary, that server might be separate anyways so that cripples the community.

also it's not easy adapting these games to each system, it takes a lot of time and money, which is better used to improve the PS2, PC and Xbox360 experience.

I never heard of a online game available for more than 3 systems,
I think it would be too stressful for Sega and Sonic Team to build and manage all of these servers and test the offline and online components of the Wii version, just for the sake of Wii owners who don't feel like getting at least a PS2 or upgrade their PC to play PSU.

as the gamecube version has proven, Nintendo doesn't seem to have a strong enough online community like PS2 and PC does, so why spread out so little butter on too much bread?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-05-18 11:03 ]</font>

Latiku
May 18, 2006, 02:01 PM
:::Sigh::: I noticed it looked like it was photoshopped (get an eye for that kinda thing by lurking at 4chan). I just wanted to believe it so much. Baka, should have known it was too good to be true.

Saner
May 18, 2006, 02:02 PM
almost fooled me but no guide would say "Official Complete Guide" right in the center like that. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

ShadowDragon28
May 18, 2006, 04:45 PM
the blurring around the text and the busy-ness/crowded logos, and the varient resolution of parts of the image (some parts look crisp, others look a little blurred) kind of gave away that it was a photoshop mock-up. Unless Versus books usually look that busy/crowded design-wise. (i don't remember what they look like off-hand. lol)

A fairly well-done mock up though.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShadowDragon28 on 2006-05-18 14:48 ]</font>

Axios-
May 18, 2006, 05:19 PM
Thanks, I imagine that I'd make it better if I were getting paid, but, yes, the quality of the image is a turn-off. However, the Versus cover I was imitating is here:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0970347375.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I think, for a professional book, it looks pretty cheap. Thus, I made mine look cheap too, but I suppose if the quality of my image were lower, it'b be better. And as for the title text, "Official Perfect Guide" sounds pretty stupid so I went with "Official Complete Guide" since it's stupid too. >_>

Keyeszx
May 28, 2006, 04:54 PM
the wii has other controllers like the classic or zapper i think they were called
http://gamevideos.com/video/id/3752

Axios-
May 28, 2006, 04:57 PM
And, of course, it accepts Gamecube controllers (which I think I'll be using over the classic one)

Keyeszx
May 28, 2006, 05:05 PM
i wonder if tey're going to change the classic so it is either smaller or fits
better in ur hands

Saner
May 29, 2006, 01:06 AM
making a Wii version of PSU is no easy task.

people are already whining about expecting more updates and stuff from Sonic Team AND they expect them to do a Wii version which would obviously 'have' to support Wii's controller features.

if they even decide to make a Wii version, that's a lot of time and work on their hands, better spent focusing on the versions they already established.

I never seen a online game available for 4 systems, and since Wii's online service is free, many Wii gamers would expect PSU to be free online too. haven't they learned anything from Gamecube's lackluster online community?

I mean Xbox360 is lucky as it is to even get a PSU version of it's own. Sonic Team is not made up of a million people.

Even working on THREE version of PSU, they have other projects they are working on too.

I just feel a Wii version wouldn't be worth the time and money to make. Sega would not benefit from it as much as they will from PS2 and PC and even Xbox360.

one could either upgrade their PC, get a PS2, or Xbox360 if they wanna play PSU THAT badly.

I don't think they'll even look at Wii until they see the sales PS2, Xbox360 and PC make. And they would make a lot more sticking to those systems than porting, reprogramming, testing and disturbing a couple of 100,000 copies for another system that will most likely not sell as many as the other systems.

They are ALREADY planning PSU to be a series of its own with possible sequels, and making it available for 4 systems is just stretching their net too wide. They would lose more money than they would profit.

cause really, if PSU was only for PS2, or PS2 and PC, we wouldn't have as many delays.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-05-28 23:07 ]</font>

Axios-
May 29, 2006, 01:13 AM
I think that you're underestimate the earning power of PSU on the Wii. First, it doesn't have to support the Wii controller. Nintendo only wanted a lot of support to show that it's not a gimmick. That was proven beyond a doubt at E3 so it's not as huge of a priority as it was pre-E3. Next, Nintendo is not shunning games that don't support it. SSBB will undoubtedly be a best-seller, and it does not support the controller. Most importantly, however, is that the Wii does have this online service, but there are barely any titles using it, and none of them are a killer app. I wouldn't expect PSU to be a killer app, but if the Wii user base is going to be as large as the survey's keep saying, then it'd be amazing to be just about the only online game. That would satisfy a lot of people's ORPG cravings on their new console.

Part of me is just being selfish, though. I'm getting a Wii, and I prefer console gaming over PC. I gotta keep the hope alive.

DraginHikari
May 29, 2006, 01:23 AM
In fully honsety I would imagine even with the controller features that alot of games still won't use it. I kinda see PSU in the same thing they said towards the Wii features in SSBM: Brawl, that the control concepts would have been too complex for the type of game it was.

Axios-
May 29, 2006, 01:26 AM
Yeah, Nintendo just wanted a majority of the games to use the controller's functionality, and E3 proved that they will. Nintendo isn't shunning any game that doesn't want to conform so have PSU there with traditional controls would be fine.

Tycho
May 29, 2006, 03:09 AM
I don't care about the new controller functionality, but if there was a Wii version, I'd buy it. I imagine the Wii version might get kind of popular.

Saner
May 29, 2006, 03:16 AM
On 2006-05-29 01:09, Tycho wrote:
I don't care about the new controller functionality, but if there was a Wii version, I'd buy it. I imagine the Wii version might get kind of popular.

Well if I didn't have a PS2 or Xbox360 and I wanted a Wii, I would surely rather buy a PS2 and network adapter to play it online than waiting possibly another year or more for a Wii version. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

Axios-
May 29, 2006, 02:34 PM
Yeah, but if the Wii version we're connected to the right servers, then we could even buy a new version and keep playing the same characters. That's just my best-case scenario. Keep the hope alive!

Saner
May 29, 2006, 03:18 PM
well ya its good to expand PSU to many systems. especially consoles.

that way if you need a new copy in the future or whatever, you could at least find one of the console versions much easier.

kassy
May 29, 2006, 04:09 PM
PSU doesn't need wiimote support, adding wiimote support would make it cumbersome to play imo, the only element I could see it enhancing is aiming in the first person mode.

I'm not against a wii version of PSU, the more platforms it's available on the merrier, it would work perfectly with the GC controller, my guess is Sega will have a look at Nintendo's online strategy before they decide on anything.

But please Sega, no more rehashes of PS games, I don't want to be playing PSU version 2 episode 5 in six years time.

Ryoten
May 30, 2006, 01:38 PM
I say it should come out for the Wii. Like the Gamecube, it shouldn't have that much of a loading time like the PS2.

Saner
May 30, 2006, 02:49 PM
But please Sega, no more rehashes of PS games, I don't want to be playing PSU version 2 episode 5 in six years time.

occasional 'rehashes' aren't so bad.

Rebuilding things from scratch is not easy

those rehashes can infact be beneficial.

look at PSO ep1+2, that started the whole offline splitscreen multiplayer fanbase, which made PSO that it was before. (but of course GC's online community was no where near as good as DC's.)