PDA

View Full Version : Seperate for US and JP

physic
May 17, 2006, 09:18 PM
Takao Miyoshi: At this time, the servers are going to be separated for the US and Japanese versions of the game. Unfortunately, the release dates will be very different between Japan and the US. However, we are thinking of updating everything equally for players in both Japan and the United States. The updates will probably be based on the release dates. So, say Japan receives the game three months before the United States, updates will be on an automatic three month delay for the US version, or something along those lines. We can't give you the exact intervals for how long the delays will be just yet.

Bad news, seperate servers are planned, as well as the release dates being very different.
Looks like we will once again live in old news town.

RFB
May 17, 2006, 09:22 PM
The late updates certainly is no good, but I'm more dissappointed by the lack of linked servers http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_disapprove.gif
Some of my best times in PSO was back in DC v2, playing C-mode with some JPs. Guess that wont happen ever again... sadly.

RoninJoku
May 17, 2006, 09:27 PM
I second that RFB... And I so dearly wanted to practice my Japanese by hoping onto JP servers... Perhaps I will buy a separate JP copy of the game for that purpose... But hmmm... I remember hearing that a Japanese credit card would be required... Presenting a problem for me... Curses...

Yea, I'm a sad panda...

Bastille
May 17, 2006, 09:27 PM
I'll have enough fun with the 12 year olds running around trying to mouth off and show how cool they are online to reminisce about the fun I had with the asians

oShojino
May 17, 2006, 09:44 PM
Dumbest. Idea. Ever. Not surprised though.

Bastille
May 17, 2006, 09:44 PM
I don't mind people who can speak English well in addition to their native language, but it tends to get annoying when you constantly encounter people who can barely speak English

Edit: Oh sure <_< Delete your post making my message seem odd and out of place >_>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bastille on 2006-05-17 19:47 ]</font>

Tystys
May 17, 2006, 09:46 PM
Why is it a dumb idea? I'm not getting what everyone is pissed off about....

voxie
May 17, 2006, 09:47 PM
Takao Miyoshi: At this time, the servers are going to be separated for the US and Japanese versions of the game.

I wonder... o_o

Did Miyoshi-san say "At this time.." as in:

A) "This time with our game we will be having servers separate..."
or
B) "At this time the servers are seperate, but the situation may change in future..."

With B), maybe they will see how the 'hacking' or US server troubles go for the first few months/year. If they go fine, they will link servers! Maybe.

Meh, the wishful thinking never stops! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Axios-
May 17, 2006, 09:48 PM
I don't mind the separation so much since I didn't play with JPers on a regular basis, and I already accepted the server separation. What disappoints me more is that we'll have delayed updates. I was really hoping, and still am, that even though the US version comes out later, our updates would catch up to Japan's within six months.

With B), maybe they will see how the 'hacking' or US server troubles go for the first few months/year. If they go fine, they will link servers! Maybe.

Ack, I hope that there's a possibility that the linking situation will change, but I hope it's not for that reason. That'd make me feel like I'm on probation. =(

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Axios- on 2006-05-17 19:50 ]</font>

voxie
May 17, 2006, 09:50 PM
On 2006-05-17 19:44, Bastille wrote:
I don't mind people who can speak English well in addition to their native language, but it tends to get annoying when you constantly encounter people who can barely speak English

Oh c'mon, did you already forget about the genius that was Word Select? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Of course, you did get some Japanese players who seemingly refused to use it... as well as US/EU players mind!

physic
May 17, 2006, 09:53 PM
honestly, seperate servers means your at the whim of sega of america or whoever to decide to release content, if its only as much as the delay between release date id be surprised. Not linking = you can be screwed easily.

Numnuttz
May 17, 2006, 09:53 PM
i deleted my post cause i thought it was a bit to much to say on my part. in my daily life i spend time with people who can barely talk english and im find with that.

Zeota
May 17, 2006, 09:55 PM
My cynicism has been tempered by the many years of PSO.

voxie
May 17, 2006, 09:58 PM
On 2006-05-17 19:53, physic wrote:
honestly, seperate servers means your at the whim of sega of america or whoever to decide to release content, if its only as much as the delay between release date id be surprised. Not linking = you can be screwed easily.

Well, let's look on the bright side and hope that having the US/EU and JP servers separate will be the slap in the face SOA/SOE needs - Hopefully, it will make them pay more attention to us and keep us updated! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Reystradamus
May 17, 2006, 10:00 PM
that was a bad career move on ST's part IMO....*shrugs shoulder*...but dam I WAITED FOR THAT CHEESY INTERVIEW DAM!

lostinseganet
May 17, 2006, 10:05 PM
This lack of linked servers is very disturbing to me. They do not have faith that they can control the hackers from america and europe. So they will own the servers for the rest of us. The orginal purpose of PSO Playing gamers from all over the world is dead. Updates comming at later dates shows perference for jpn players over the other nations...AND no 8 players (^_^).
Regular PSO is looking alot better now. Wow its kinda surprising how one interview confirming fears, and such can so deeply affect your individual hype for the game.

Reystradamus
May 17, 2006, 10:08 PM
yea I WAITED For that interview still no release date...o well *goes back 2 playin new super mario bros*

physic
May 17, 2006, 10:12 PM
well, he said before he even did teh interview that they werent gonna get a release date. As far as hacking, i doubt thats teh main reason for seperation, i think it just boils down to wanting to seperate them

oShojino
May 17, 2006, 10:16 PM
So much for "Scream(ing) help in 7 different languages".. PSO lost its whole international ticket with PSU. As others have mentioned we lose dedicated content too... I doubt SoA/SoE will give nearly the attention to updates that SoJ will (just compare the websites -_-). Also we wont get to play with a diverse group of people, and thus the population will be smaller.

One of the many disappointements of the interview.

SephYuyX
May 17, 2006, 10:37 PM
ST proves theyre fools once again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-05-17 20:38 ]</font>

Cetus
May 17, 2006, 10:53 PM
actually it doesn't affect me because i only play online since PSO BB,i played it offline on gamecube.So i was always use to this segregation between us/eu and jp.but what they should do (if it was like it in the past sorry i didn't know)is by default sending us to our own server depending of our region and in the city,on a counter give us the ability of changing of the region server ex:us/eu to jp and vice versa.and had the option in the menu of the game by giving us the choice of default server.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

vitius137
May 18, 2006, 12:05 AM
On 2006-05-17 20:37, SephirothYuyX wrote:
ST proves they're fools once again.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SephirothYuyX on 2006-05-17 20:38 ]</font>

I no longer need proof for that. I'd like to work there just for 5 minutes to see what the funk they are thinking/doing down there.

RoninJoku
May 18, 2006, 12:13 AM
On 2006-05-17 20:53, Cetus wrote:
actually it doesn't affect me because i only play online since PSO BB,i played it offline on gamecube.So i was always use to this segregation between us/eu and jp.but what they should do (if it was like it in the past sorry i didn't know)is by default sending us to our own server depending of our region and in the city,on a counter give us the ability of changing of the region server ex:us/eu to jp and vice versa.and had the option in the menu of the game by giving us the choice of default server.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

That's exactly what it was like... it was perfect :'(

Inazuma
May 18, 2006, 12:16 AM
thank god! sega has really been doing a great job lately. i was so worried they would link the servers and curse psu to become like pre Blue Burst vers of pso.

yea it sux not being able to have everyone together. but at least i can play on a ver w/o any cheating. all of the eng players i was w/ during the beta really seemed like nice ppl tho. i hope a you guys consider joining me on jp ver.

ppl like broomop will pick eng ver over jp. and all of the idiots and cheaters will also pick eng over jp. its the sad truth but sega really doesnt want to risk their game that they put so much time and money into making. im not saying everyone on eng ver is bad, just that psu should work out exactly like blue burst did.

3500 hours across 2 years of playing jp BB and i NEVER ran into a single problem from a jp player. on the other hand, there were a few problem players on the jp ver, however none of them were japanese.

RoninJoku
May 18, 2006, 12:21 AM
Haha... Will the Japanese version require a Japanese credit card? Because if not, I will deffinitely think about that option... Simply because I really sincerely desperately wanted to practice my Japanese, and the seperated servers totally put a damper on my plans... grr...

Though if I did get the JP version, I would still get a US version too of course... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

kazuma56
May 18, 2006, 12:49 AM
Hmm, I wonder about the whole hacking thing really, the "rumour" of the Parasite Gene:flow dropping in PSO was said to be "found" by a JP player, meaning that they probably hacked the game and got the item....and i've been in a couple of JP games on the GC version on JP servers and saw people running around with Dark bridges/flows among other things which seemed "hacked" imo.

Nai_Calus
May 18, 2006, 01:20 AM
I think what small interest I had in PSU just died. *checks* Yep.

There's a small chance of the offline story not sucking, but I'm really not getting my hopes up.

It really does seem like they're trying desperately to cash in on the name, with the disturbing blatant PS references seeming like something they're trying to do for some sort of bizzare street cred. "Look! Look! Remember that guy in PSII, y'know, that space pirate named Tyler? Lookie, we have a space pirate named Tylor! Oh and he has a ship named the Landeel, just like Tyler! Oh, and remember Lutz? We named a guy after him too! See, we still remember you! Love us? Please?"

Did Dark Force take over ST or something? Sheesh. Less time spent on references, more time spent on creativity and originality. Actually, can the references entirely. This isn't Algol. There's no need for them. There's no need to even call it Phantasy Star, actually, and it might have been better if it hadn't been. As 'Phantasy Star Universe' it has to try living up to both Phantasy Star and Phantasy Star Online. As 'Random RPG Name #282,919' it wouldn't have that kind of expectation to live up to, cutesy references to waste time on and it could be free to be its own game. But I suppose they're just trying to count on the name to sell it...

Sigh.

Link the fucking servers. Put in the modes. >.<

Ancient
May 18, 2006, 01:30 AM
I dont see that its really so bad. There are still plenty of crazy french canadians and south americans to play with here if you want to scratch your head at people chatting in another language.
And as far as when we get updates? Who cares? If you are getting it in the same relative time frame as the japanese (compared to launch) then how is that getting screwed? It's being treated the same. As long as they release holiday content on time I have no qualms at all with us getting things a couple months later. If anything, it gives them the time to work out the bugs before they give it to us.

And what's with attacking Sega for having references to previous PS games? OMG they recycled names! OOOO! Heavens! Frankly when I first saw PSO I thought having a male magic user wearing 6" platform shoes,a giant puffy hat, and a bustle was possibly the stupidest thing ever conceaved! But here we are 5 years later and I've grown to seriously love PSO. Why are you people spitting so much venom at this game about trivial things months before you've even played it?
The core of this game isnt who's named what, or when we get updates, or even if the servers are linked. Its the gameplay, and the community. Both of which PSU seems to already have.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ancient on 2006-05-17 23:41 ]</font>

PhotonCat
May 18, 2006, 01:58 AM
I was expecting this and I am glad. There is really no reason to put us all together. The majority of NA players rather play with only English speaking players and Japan rather play with only Japanese speaking players.

But I think when he meant "NA would get it in a 3 month delay" that it would mean basically we'd get all the updates from when the game launched in Japan till it's NA release. I don't think they are gonna delay updates for more than a week or so after the game is released in English.

Even then I would not mind because the updates can't be anything special besides a quest here or there because of the PS2's memory card limits. Just have fun and play the game instead of worrying about that. After playing PSO I would think you'd be used to not getting updates.

Skorpius
May 18, 2006, 02:02 AM
I think what's more disappointing is the number of closet racists that are coming out because they won't be able to look down at English speaking players while playing with Japanese players.

Brus
May 18, 2006, 02:03 AM
it says the release dates are drastically different. that SUCKS. By drastically different it better mean something like tuesday in japan and thursday in america...

PhotonCat
May 18, 2006, 02:04 AM
I also do not know why everyone think that only English players hack/dupe. You know JP do it as well. A JP server isn't gonna be the safe little haven you think it's gonna be.

physic
May 18, 2006, 02:11 AM
those who believe in seperate but equal, its foolish you wont be seperate but equal, the interview saud point blank it will be at least a similar delay between teh release. But the fact is, in teh past they havent been on time, and really, how well its maintained wont have much to do with sonic team japan, it will be up to the american counter parts. Look at japans psu website, at their pso websites, at how often their hunter liscence page was updated with info compared to US, and you believe it will be merely a 3 month delay? It is possible, but its not very likely.

Fleece
May 18, 2006, 03:46 AM
God......You guys are taking thing too literally you have to remember everything he said was translated from Japanese to English via translator so basically he didn't say the dates were drastically different he just means that they arn't releasing at the same time worldwide AND your other point of undedicated updates is wrong, he said they'll be updating in the same timescale that japan is updating, meaning we have regular updates just at the same pace japan did :

I.E If an update is released 3 months after game is released in japan, then the U.S update wont be at the same time. It will be 3 months after the game is released in the U.S.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fleece on 2006-05-18 01:48 ]</font>

physic
May 18, 2006, 03:53 AM
he said that it would at least be that. However the past shows that when seperated we get less than jp, or get it a lot later. Its possible it could be on time, but we will see. and he used 3 months as his hypothetical in the other part of the answer, this implies that number is in his mind. keeping in mind that it is almost the June, with no announcements for a japan release date, the earliest they will probably see it is july, most likely they may get it september, then with approx 3 months that pushes us into 2007.
Which really, is a damn long time.

Rihcky
May 18, 2006, 03:56 AM
Well, lets just hope for fall 06.

Ifrian
May 18, 2006, 05:05 AM
Bah ..... this about the not linked servers really decebt me.....

Tystys
May 18, 2006, 05:16 AM
I still don't see why people are pissed off.
Sure, the fact that we won't be playing the game with other people all over the world is a bit of a let down, but that doesn't mean the game is going to be any less fun!
I don't get why people can't accept that, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

voxie
May 18, 2006, 06:04 AM
On 2006-05-18 03:16, Tystys wrote:
I still don't see why people are pissed off.
Sure, the fact that we won't be playing the game with other people all over the world is a bit of a let down, but that doesn't mean the game is going to be any less fun!
I don't get why people can't accept that, http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Some people are pissed off because basically, Sega of America/Europe's attention to online updates with items, quests and such, has reputation to be pretty darn rubbish!

Sega of Japan however, spoil themselves. And SOA/SOE seemingly can't bring themselves to translate half of what the lucky JP players get, for us US/EU players.

This presumption is based on their behaviour before with PSOBB. And the fact that SOA/SOE's website currently have NO PSU fan content whatsoever, except the usual release (http://www.sega.com/games/game_temp.php?game=psu) update (http://www.sega-europe.com/en/Game/176.htm). Sega of Japan however, get all (http://segalink.jp/mall/mall_list.asp?CategoryIdx=151000) kinds (http://segadirect.jp/Catalog/CustomPages/CustomDetail2.aspx?File=psu.htm) of goodies.

My fingers are crossed though, that there is more to come. As unlike PSOBB, PSU is a brand new game, aiming for a brand new and bigger audience. So surely, now with much of our online lives in their hands, they will give us a lot more attention compared to before? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

What we need to convince us now is not only an interview with SOJ, but also those in charge of Phantasy Star Universe for the EU and US. Hope you read that PSOW! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Nika
May 18, 2006, 06:12 AM
This is what I sad..... I have no idea that I should play JP first? because I can't wait !! However, I have no JP language skill. it may be hard and not fun for me with that. Do any of you plan to play JP ver. first?

physic
May 18, 2006, 06:37 AM
basically what voxie showed, its obvious that SOJ will be involved and develop on a regular basis, they mention or add some news about pso, the development team, merchandise at teh very least once a week. Our site has practically not changed since its inception. One might argue that its because teh release dates will be different, but most of that stuff and the consistency of info being put out in japan has been going on for more than a year. Think to yourself how informative the Sega of anything but japan has been.
These are the people who will be primarily responsible for what content we see, and how timely we see it. Keep in mind that content was always supposed to be the same in the mid of ST for all versions, and yet many things we have never seen. Linking of servers was the best bet for having comparable content, and thats gone. The game may still be entertaining, heck maybe its great offline, but whether it will be a similar experience to what japanese gamers will get is somewhat doubtful.

Saner
May 18, 2006, 10:02 AM
people rarely party with Japanese players anyways.

it's unsettling not being able to understand each other.
and socializing is impossible. the most you can do with them is just fight monsters together.

lostinseganet
May 18, 2006, 02:14 PM
On 2006-05-18 08:02, Saner wrote:
people rarely party with Japanese players anyways.

it's unsettling not being able to understand each other.
and socializing is impossible. the most you can do with them is just fight monsters together.

Back in the dreamcast we had the word select. It was not very good, but when two people want to communicate they find ways. Gamers would associate letters with feelings and other sentences. It was Literary like the 13 warrior. You watched you tried, and observed the response. Other people who succeded would tell others in their language what means what. A small basic language started to delelop.
Socializing was not impossible when you can convey feelings to situations, and basic language.

Tystys
May 18, 2006, 02:17 PM
Ah, OK, now I see. SOE/SOA really needs to clean up it's act. Hopefully they'll get the idea this time around.

Saiffy
May 18, 2006, 02:20 PM
On 2006-05-17 22:16, Inazuma wrote:
thank god! sega has really been doing a great job lately. i was so worried they would link the servers and curse psu to become like pre Blue Burst vers of pso.

yea it sux not being able to have everyone together. but at least i can play on a ver w/o any cheating. all of the eng players i was w/ during the beta really seemed like nice ppl tho. i hope a you guys consider joining me on jp ver.

ppl like broomop will pick eng ver over jp. and all of the idiots and cheaters will also pick eng over jp. its the sad truth but sega really doesnt want to risk their game that they put so much time and money into making. im not saying everyone on eng ver is bad, just that psu should work out exactly like blue burst did.

3500 hours across 2 years of playing jp BB and i NEVER ran into a single problem from a jp player. on the other hand, there were a few problem players on the jp ver, however none of them were japanese.

This isn't racist at all.

Zeota
May 18, 2006, 03:15 PM
"I want the Japanese servers to connect with the US servers."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/epyonic/jpsentence.png

To whoever can translate, does that look right?

The time has come for us to rise up and take this message to ST ourselves!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DarkEpyon00 on 2006-05-18 13:21 ]</font>

Spellbinder
May 18, 2006, 03:28 PM
On 2006-05-18 12:20, Saiffy wrote:

On 2006-05-17 22:16, Inazuma wrote:

This isn't racist at all.

Not not racist, just sounds like prejudice to me. You may not have ran into a single problem with a JP player, but it doesn't give you to freedom to parade on as if they're a culture that knows no wrong, where everything is perfect, and just assume all the cheaters will flock to the English version, it just seems ignorant, at least to me.

Although it may not be the best comparsion, I played FFXI where the Japanese and English players were mixed together on the servers. Now I will admit I saw my fair share of poor English speaking players, but I promise you the worse things I saw, and the most horrible things I'd ever seen spoken in my two years playing that game, were from Japanese/Chinese players.

Despite my horrible experience with Japanese players, I'd still like the servers to be linked, because I know not all Japanese players are jerks just like not all English players are jerks. While the servers are seperate, we're not pitting a Utopian version against Gutter trash. It's just two versions where the primary languages are different.

Parn
May 18, 2006, 04:02 PM
On 2006-05-18 00:02, Skorpius wrote:
I think what's more disappointing is the number of closet racists that are coming out because they won't be able to look down at English speaking players while playing with Japanese players.
Ahahaha. That's so hilarious because it's true (with obvious exceptions to the rule of course).

But anyways, lack of linked servers is kind of lame, but I'm not too surprised since Word Select was missing in the beta. But as I said in the other thread, write to Sonic Team. Posting here about it won't change anything. It's still not too late to do something about it (see: partner cards listing region for players which means they COULD bridge them if they wanted).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Parn on 2006-05-18 14:03 ]</font>

Kyunji
May 18, 2006, 04:27 PM
I really don't mind the servers not being linked. Maybe it's because I missed the "old" days of PSO and only played PSO: BB when it was in free open beta (although I've since downloaded the original PSO), where the servers were never linked, but I don't think that my playing experience would be as fun playing with people who can't understand me. Word Select really doesn't cut it, in my opinion - you can only do so much with it.

physic
May 18, 2006, 05:35 PM
playing with japanese people was a different type of thing, it was somewhat fun just to see how well you can play with a person and communicate just with what you got, nobody was forcing you to, most the US ships are US and Most the JP are JP. Its not like they will force you to play. I do find it weird that yall really think language is the big issue, when EU is usually conneceted to US and only England is a native english speaking country. If language is such a big problem, then why do US people Play with french german and spanish countries, if server lag is the big deal how come I can play with people in AUstralia? lets be honest, no one at ST said that servers are seperated due to language, or distance, an issue of being able to do it. Its simply because they dont want to.

DarK-SuN
May 18, 2006, 05:46 PM
On 2006-05-18 15:35, physic wrote:
playing with japanese people was a different type of thing, it was somewhat fun just to see how well you can play with a person and communicate just with what you got, nobody was forcing you to, most the US ships are US and Most the JP are JP. Its not like they will force you to play. I do find it weird that yall really think language is the big issue, when EU is usually conneceted to US and only England is a native english speaking country. If language is such a big problem, then why do US people Play with french german and spanish countries, if server lag is the big deal how come I can play with people in AUstralia? lets be honest, no one at ST said that servers are seperated due to language, or distance, an issue of being able to do it. Its simply because they dont want to.

You took the words right out of my mouth.
Thanks, this is exactly how I see it.