PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for messing up my laptop!

Saraphim
May 17, 2006, 09:55 PM
Ah yes, I got my laptop back from Best Buy today. They "fixed" it, or I should say that Geek Squad sent it off to Dallas to get it fixed by Toshiba.

I only needed them to replace the Power cord jack that had been knocked loose and would no longer recharge. They fixed that, which is great.

They also wiped my hard drive, and re-installed WinXP and all the other useless crap that came on the laptop when I bought it (I worked sooo hard to fully delete all that stuff).

But here's the icing on the cake, they appearently installed some sort of set up program that I can not find on my hard drive, and it pops up on start up. It asks me if I want to reseal the hard drive, audit the installation, or test factory settings. No matter what I choose it reboots the computer. If I just close it I get an alert from Windows that it must shut down to protect my pc and then reboots in DOS! WTF!?!

I called Geek Squad, and they said that it is a software related issue (DUH!) and that I need to take it back to Best Buy. I know where this is going, as my warranty doesn't cover software problems. In other words they want me to pay them to fix a problem that they created.

The only thing that I can think of is to re-install Windows my self with the disk that came with my laptop. I am unsure how to do this, and I really don't want to make things any worse than they already are.

Sigh, I am sooo angry. I wish they would have just lost the damn thing, then they would have to replace it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif (this looked like it might have happened for a while as they couldn't confirm that they sent it or that it was recieved, but that's another issue)

Oh well.....

KodiaX987
May 17, 2006, 10:21 PM
You shouldn't have much trouble reinstalling Windows at this point. Since your data was wiped already, you don't need to backup anything.

First of all, look at the Windows CD and look for the word "For PCs without Windows" If it's not written on there, then I can't guarantee my method will work.

So. First, start up the laptop and immediately press DELETE. This will take you to the BIOS menu, which tells the computer what to do on startup. Go through the menus until you find something called "boot sequence" or "boot order". No matter what the order is, make sure the CD drive goes before the hard drive. What does it mean? The computer will look for a CD and try to boot from it. If it can't, or there's no CD, then it tries from the hard drive.

Now, save those settings and restart. Pop the Windows CD into the computer and it'll eventually say Press any key to boot from CD. Do that, and you'll be taken to the Windows installation. From there, you should be able to have the installer format your hard drive and install a clean version of Windows.

I can't guarantee the installation will get you rid of the pesky programs. It's entirely possible your Windows CD has been custom-tailored for the laptop and by installing Windows, you end up installing all the other third-party shit too. At that point, your solution is to remove them by hand, one by one.

And if you don't want to lose that precious setup once it's done, there's always Norton Ghost. Ask me if you want more info about it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Firocket1690
May 18, 2006, 02:27 AM
Hmmm, I highly doubt shuri's method will work well. At least, not with today's laptops. I bought my vaio back in 2002, and it came with three cds, which would restore to "factory settings" third party shit included. In my case, sonicstage/mastering studio, and another 3 month license with norton antivirus. In any case, I'm pretty sure the new cds would restore to factory settings as in how the laptop came when you bought it. If you really want to go by shuri's method, go buy a $1.2k version of Windows XP, and use those discs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

korifugi
May 18, 2006, 05:52 AM
With the newer Toshiba laptops you can boot from CD really easily (although I suggest using the system restore CD that came with it...).

When you boot the laptop a mainly black screen wiil come up showing the toshiba logo, under the logo are a small number of icons. One will look like a stack of disks, another will look like a CD, another like a floppy disk and there will probably be one that looks like two networked laptops.

On this screen press the left or right cursor keys (doesn't matter which) and a small orange/pinkish bar will come up beneath one of these icons, using the cursor keys move it to the 'CD' icon and that will allow you to boot from the CD.

From there it should be easy to restore the laptop back to it's factory settings by following the on screen prompts. (yes, you will get all the apps it had when you first got it but they can be removed via add/remove programs)

You can also hold 'C' to boot from CD but i've seen before where that doesn't work.

Hope this helps.

*edit* aaaargh, dammit - typo faeries strike again!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: korifugi on 2006-05-18 03:55 ]</font>

KodiaX987
May 18, 2006, 07:33 AM
On 2006-05-18 00:27, Firocket1690 wrote:
Hmmm, I highly doubt shuri's method will work well. At least, not with today's laptops. I bought my vaio back in 2002, and it came with three cds, which would restore to "factory settings" third party shit included. In my case, sonicstage/mastering studio, and another 3 month license with norton antivirus. In any case, I'm pretty sure the new cds would restore to factory settings as in how the laptop came when you bought it. If you really want to go by shuri's method, go buy a $1.2k version of Windows XP, and use those discs. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wacko.gif

Are you sure they were actually sequenced together? My two Dell laptops have three CDs: One for Windows, another for the programs, and another for the drivers.

Saraphim
May 18, 2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the advise and tips, but I got it fixed. It turns out that Toshiba never finished setting up my hard drive, and was in a "pre boot mode" as the guy at Best Buy explained. He finished the set up, and even removed all the excess junk (like Norton http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif Macafee FTW!). My Dlink wireless cards driver was responible for the crash, as the "pre boot mode" isn't intended to have drivers installed while running.

I still do not know why they wiped my hard drive, but there is nothing that I can do about it now. All that is left is the updates and reinstalls.

VioletSkye
May 18, 2006, 08:33 PM
Just so you know, the resealing and audit stuff is from the Sysprep. It is used to make a factory image from which you can restore your pc. I used to use it all the time when I was the head IT person for a company (which will remain nameless lol) Basically all the sales people had the same model laptop, so every now and then I would setup a test machine, get everything updated and run SYSPREP on it to seal the image and ghost it in Norton Ghost to put that reinstall image on the network. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

basically it sounds like they goofed the sysprep and have it coming up each time you turn your pc on. I would use a recovery disk and wipe out their installation.