PDA

View Full Version : Are newman+hunter really bad?

Nika
May 18, 2006, 04:14 AM
In fact, I want to make my main character for a melee-newman type (like Karen). But, I didn't get ID to play beta , and I heard from many of you said that it is the worst hunter. Now, I realize about that the worst hunter , but I want to know that how much suck for it?
Do this char have enough ATP to hit enemy ?or just 0?. Will you accept to let newman+hunter join your party if they asked? or just need only force?.

Tuxedose
May 18, 2006, 05:25 AM
Well I mean if the Newman Hunter would have sucked that much why in the world would Sonic Team Include the fnction to play as one??. I think all races will be able to get good in every class but not as good as eachother. A Newman will never be as good as a hunter as a cast or a human for example but it can still be a good enough of a hunter to pack som serious damage. I plan to make a newman Hunter as well in psu btw http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

OdinTyler
May 18, 2006, 07:46 AM
Two words: Nei. Rika.

Perfect examples that Newmen make very capable hunters. 'Nuff said.

Saner
May 18, 2006, 09:12 AM
Karen looks like she will be a Hunter-type, so I think despite their lower hunter potential and lack of techniques as a Hunter, they can still be good fighters.

physic
May 18, 2006, 09:14 AM
in psu, i dont think your maximum damage potential will be a big issue, barring some type of challenge like mode, that rarely mattered much in the past and seems not to matter that much now.

Lyrise
May 18, 2006, 09:24 AM
I played as one in the beta. I will say this, statistically speaking, they are the worst kind of hunter. In fact, when starting off, you're better off gaining a few levels as a force before you switch to hunter.

However, given the playstyle of PSU, this shouldn't matter. In high difficulty situations that require an *effective* party, a hunter's job isn't to kill everything front line; that job belongs to the force (the killing that is, don't send your forces to frontline). Hunter's role? It's to provide interference so the forces in your party don't get beat up on, due to the fairly crappy casting rate that tech based PAs have, and the extremely low HP they have as well. Newman + Hunter does this job extremely well, given the fairly high accuracy ratio and high evasion, even moreso if you boosted theme through units. I'm not saying that any other hunter would be worse off, since it's such a menial task, but what better way to provide interference by landing attacks and blocking the attacks of the opposition, wasting them even more time?

However, this is also not saying that Hunters can't kill anything. In beta though, it was ridiculously obvious that forces kill anything 10x faster than any other class, but occasionally, 1-2 hits, a mob, or a trampling attack from a boss can put them down easily,hence the need for running interference.

In a party without forces? You'll have hunters and rangers. I'm pretty sure regardless of what race you are, you're going to steamroll everthing fairly fast as well; nothing like swarming the opposition. You just won't get the job done faster than if you had a force.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lyrise on 2006-05-18 07:29 ]</font>

Lord_DS
May 18, 2006, 09:40 AM
You can't play an effective Newman in melee in PSU as your only chance to cast Technics is to play as a FOnewman... You should not compare the online mode to the offline one, the story mode will have SPECIALS characters with SPECIALS stats and SPECIALS abilities. In online mode, we all know the stats. And a melee Newman sucks really bad...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lord_DS on 2006-05-18 07:44 ]</font>

Saner
May 18, 2006, 09:47 AM
at least in the first levels, Newman Hunters may be the least effective Hunters, but some people will use them anyway,

and Im sure like all combinations, they can even solo on their own if they have to.

Kano-Okami
May 18, 2006, 10:30 AM
Keep in mind, there's a good chance there are race-only weapons & items that could possibly make up for the difference of the stats.
I remember someone found an item for FO-Beast earlier in the Beta, but the requirements were too high to use at the moment (the upper lv 20's).
That could be the 'ace' characters could have to balance themselves out amongst the natural advantages of the other races.

zandra117
May 18, 2006, 11:55 AM
why do people think that newmans will be bad hunters? If they will be bad hunters then why was there a Hunewearl in pso and what about Nei and Rika in classic PS. I think the weak class for newmans would be rangers. although newmans are not too bad at that either.

Lyrise
May 18, 2006, 12:00 PM
Lets face it, there will always be people who just don't get it. All the classes are balanced IMO. Sure every class has it's weaknesses, some more glaring than others, but its not about how you avoid weaknesses, but its how you turn those weaknesses into strengths. (Got Low HP? Learn how to manually evade better instead of just stand there or find a way to boost evasion stat and HP.)

chibiLegolas
May 18, 2006, 12:12 PM
The HUnewearl has been fan favorites throughout the Phantasy Star genre for years (as others have already stated). I'd be surprised if Sega would give them the short end of the stick. If anything, I think they're one of those race/class combos that maybe a bit more difficult to level up in the beginning, and would be easier at higher levels (for unknown reasons that are too early to tell). Who knows, maybe accuracy and high evasion really do works wonders this time around at higher levels.

Jasonsama81
May 18, 2006, 12:15 PM
I'm going to pray that ST comes through, despite all the negativity recently... There were unique weapons in PSO that were Race specific, and that's been a thing that's overlooked... Who knows.. ? Perhaps there are some weapons/items that will allow Newman Hunter's to cast techs.. like some sort of Saber or whatnot (a la Elysion) Least that's what I'm hoping for. Variety is the spice of life afterall.

Personally I plan on playing a HUbeast, so I never expected to be able to use techs, but I really think the Newmans and Humans are getting jipped if they can't...

oShojino
May 18, 2006, 12:19 PM
Newmans make bad hunters in PSU because they were stripped of their magic like Nei Rika and Hunewerals in PSO. I played as one and granted they aren't -horrible-, after playing a HUbeast there is much to be desired. But then again, Lyrise played a female Newman which gives more eva tap and endurance then a male Newman. In the end my male HUnewm had only 7 more ata then my HUbeast, (though my hunter level was 3 on my newman and 10 on my beast).. but even when there was a 20 ata difference my HUbeast didnt miss very much at all. I played along side Lyrise with my HUbeast and even though her damage was adequate..I still out damaged her and she had Light Blades/Dark Blades.

Newmans wont be horrible Hunters, but they wont have anything unique about them and they'll be outclassed. Even more so for Male Hunters, as they have more ATP DFP ATA and HP, all of which they are outclassed in by other races...at least Female Newmans have EVP and TAP going for them. But thats also the same with Fonewerals, they outdamage Fonewms as well.. so in actually Male Newmans are outclassed in everything.. lol.

Ah well, I dont even care anymore. Point is no uniquness, they wont be awful but the only reason people will play them will be for asethetic reasons... oh we can dream cant we?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: oShojino on 2006-05-18 11:27 ]</font>

chibiLegolas
May 18, 2006, 12:46 PM
On 2006-05-18 10:19, oShojino wrote:
they wont be awful but they only reason people will play them are for asethetic reasons... oh we can dream cant we?

Ihope not. But take a look at the newman hottie here.
He SO wants to be a hunter, no? Well,at least I'll try and make one to see where they shine at high levels.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/media/psuartwork/roughsketch3.jpg

oShojino
May 18, 2006, 01:27 PM
On 2006-05-18 10:46, chibiLegolas wrote:

On 2006-05-18 10:19, oShojino wrote:
they wont be awful but the only reason people will play them will be for asethetic reasons... oh we can dream cant we?

Ihope not. But take a look at the newman hottie here.
He SO wants to be a hunter, no? Well,at least I'll try and make one to see where they shine at high levels.
http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

http://www.pso-world.com/media/psuartwork/roughsketch3.jpg

You and me both, heh.

Tuxedose
May 18, 2006, 05:34 PM
Hunter Newmans may have bad stats in comparison to ther hunter races, however I believe that they will be able to hold their own in battle anyways. I mean its fully logical that beasts, casts and humans will have better stats in the end and give more damage to enemies however that will not make hunter newmans bad especially not if they are given a bit more evp and such. And as Lyrise said if you have a bit low hp and damage I littlebit less than other classes then dont stand there hitting them without moving try and avoid them instead. A good player can make any race good at anything. Thats what I think http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif.

Nika
May 18, 2006, 06:28 PM
I think it would be better if they can cast a tech. It may need to combine between hunter and force job with high LV ,or need to equip some certain weapons(or unit) to do that . I 'm really wish for it.

oShojino
May 18, 2006, 06:30 PM
I agree Nika, in fact newmans should be able to carry magic into any job they choose... just like beasts should be able to have higher level pas on melee weapons in any other job and casts with guns in any other job.