PDA

View Full Version : Final nail in the coffin? (Server Separation)

McLaughlin
May 18, 2006, 02:50 PM
The interview revealed that Voice Chat would be Xbox 360 exclusive. How would one go about linking servers that have different features? I'm not trying to be pesemistic, because I really hope they're linked, but I don't see how that'd work.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Rihcky
May 18, 2006, 02:59 PM
Well, the 360 player can voicechat and the PC/PS2 players can't. That doesn't mean they cant link.

rena-ko
May 18, 2006, 03:05 PM
take microsoft into account. they'd rather drop the game than allowing their precious ethernet being linked to non-xbl-servers.

Saner
May 18, 2006, 03:06 PM
well 360 players would have to get a keyboard to communicate, unless they wanna text chat with a controller.

naturally they can only voice chat with other Xbox360 users, most likely through the private chat guide button menu.

Unless the Xbox360 version will have a feature similiar to what True Fantasy Live Online planned to have, they might not be able to voice chat with more than 1 person at a time.
doubt it though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Saner
May 18, 2006, 03:07 PM
On 2006-05-18 13:05, rena-ko wrote:
take microsoft into account. they'd rather drop the game than allowing their precious ethernet being linked to non-xbl-servers.

you have a point there.
Live is pretty isolated the way it is.

they might not link it to the other servers.

McLaughlin
May 18, 2006, 03:46 PM
I don't think they'd force people to use the Private Chat option, because You'd only be able to talk to 1/5 people. It's be kinda moot. On the other hand, I probably won't buy a Keyboard either, because the shortcuts I have on PSO-X work for what I need.

MS isn't as selfish as the 3rd poster made them seem. FF XI is linked, and I'm sure if Sega came up with a good way to implement a link, and MS liked the idea, they'd do it.

ShadowDragon28
May 18, 2006, 03:57 PM
not linking x-box 360 servers to the others may not be such a bad thing when their are brats/jerks like this on X-Box Live .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfwOqlnCKQs

Do we really want spoiled little brats like that on PSU's servers? LOL

I hope their are not too many jerks like that kid on PSU...

McLaughlin
May 18, 2006, 04:05 PM
There are Asshats on every console (including PC). I'm an Xbox Live user, and I love the service. I'll be buying PSU for my Xbox 360, and I'll be a very happy camper. I've run into some real pricks, but the mute feature is there for a reason. Please don't condemn all of us when only a few are at fault.

Tomeeboy
May 18, 2006, 04:25 PM
On 2006-05-18 13:57, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
not linking x-box 360 servers to the others may not be such a bad thing when their are brats/jerks like this on X-Box Live .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfwOqlnCKQs

Hah... hillarious video. I've encountered such things playing headset-enabled games on PS2 as well, though. I think the reason why people are under the impression that more of these annoyances exist on Xbox Live is because all Xbox Live games have voice chat built into them. I don't have any doubt that it would be just as bad on PS2 if every game supported voice chat.

Skye-Fox713
May 18, 2006, 04:37 PM
yes it is indeed hillarous video and i do agree with Tomeeboy on the voice chat

voxie
May 18, 2006, 05:10 PM
Aww.. you almost feel bad for him at the end. Feel like slapping him for the rest of it though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Bastille
May 18, 2006, 05:10 PM
It has been proven that if you give a person anonyminity online and an audience, there is a high chance they will act like a complete idiot

Numnuttz
May 19, 2006, 10:27 PM
o man i remember that video so well. that made me crack up so many times when i watch it. even now i still laugh at it. but yea alot of teh xobox live community revovles around people saying stuff about other people. i hate to admit it but thats the truth about live. yea it happens all over the place but i think it happens more on live than anywhere else for some reason. thats one of the reason why i stopped playing online games. i just cant stand lil kids complaning about their problems. i remeber when i was playing pso live some kid kept bugging me about his problems with his mom. i barely knew the kid and eveytime i tried to reason with him he complained i wasnt listen to him. man that was a weird night of pso.

DjDragoon
May 19, 2006, 11:06 PM
Unless the Xbox360 version will have a feature similiar to what True Fantasy Live Online planned to have, they might not be able to voice chat with more than 1 person at a time.
doubt it though. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Sigh... how I miss TFLO. I agree that with Tomee that if you gave PS2/PC players the ease of communicating with a mic, they'be be just as annoying as the kids some stereotype on Live(Teamspeak on some MMOs). Not everyone on Live is a jerk.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DjDragoon on 2006-05-19 21:13 ]</font>

A2K
May 19, 2006, 11:26 PM
Simply put, if they can be linked. Either, PC and PS2 players simply wouldn't be able to hear what Xbox 360 players were saying, or like what was mentioned before, it might be limited to private chat only.

_Tek_
May 20, 2006, 02:09 AM
After duducing, I decided i wouldn't want voice chat anyways.

But I can imagine voice chat and text chat being linkable, its just that the ps2/pcers would need their volume up, and then the xboxers would need to know how to read. lol it'd be too stilly.

Shigecki
May 20, 2006, 02:50 AM

I have been playing on XBoxlive since almost day one, and have been playing PSOX since day one. Sure you do come across the occasional brat, but it's usually in this type of game. I haven't had this type of problem on PSO, this usually happen in the FPS's type of games like Halo and such. This is where the anonymity comes into play and bratty behavior happens. I have a feeling this kid would be a brat whether or not he had voice chat. So quit with the stereotyping.

For the most part this type of game (PSU) is going to be played by a more serious gamer, not some future serial killer that played too many FPS's as a child.

Witchblade56
May 20, 2006, 08:33 AM
Well considering I played the PS2 version starting around a month after it came out and then transferred to 360 I cant see why they wouldnt do the same for PSU. Honestly I would be very disappointed if I couldnt play with my friends that are on PC as they are now in FFXI.

My God in heaven I'm glad we cant hear some of the crap little kids say to their parents. . . reminds me of when my mom drug me out of my chair into the living room and sat me in a corner for three hours when I got out of line once -_-

Witchblade56
May 20, 2006, 08:37 AM
Voxie,

Love the sig, PSOGC was my first experience at online gaming so i can relate to it http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

linkzone
May 20, 2006, 08:43 AM
what i dont get is why i cant voice chat on my PC. i mean microsoft makes PC stuff, and the xbox is their creation. why not PC chat?

physic
May 20, 2006, 09:43 AM
you ll prolly able to voce chat, you will just ahve to use some outside program and serevr to do it.

PrinceBrightstar
May 20, 2006, 11:06 AM
Well for PC users there's the option of using ventrillo or a similar program for voice chat, and I see it catching on given how difficult it is to type compared to PSO. (text boxes are tiny compared)

Shivore
May 20, 2006, 04:33 PM
There is no automated PC chat because no one company such as Microsoft, has a monopolistic say in what goes in virtually every game for the system, thank heavens.

-Klaus-
May 20, 2006, 05:01 PM
On 2006-05-18 12:50, Zeta wrote:
The interview revealed that Voice Chat would be Xbox 360 exclusive. How would one go about linking servers that have different features? I'm not trying to be pesemistic, because I really hope they're linked, but I don't see how that'd work.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

On FFXI they had linked servers and 360 was one of them. They had live chat too, but you ahd to start one with another 360 user, I think.

zandra117
May 20, 2006, 05:47 PM

That is what xbox live voice blocking is for.

zandra117
May 20, 2006, 05:53 PM
On 2006-05-19 21:26, A2K wrote:
Simply put, if they can be linked. Either, PC and PS2 players simply wouldn't be able to hear what Xbox 360 players were saying, or like what was mentioned before, it might be limited to private chat only.

or they could put in a feature where pc and ps2 players can hear xbox360 people voice chatting through a speaker. if someone gets annoying you can voice block them.

Ancient
May 21, 2006, 01:34 PM
The kid in that video needs to be beaten with his own xbox...if anything, my years on Live have given me insight into misserable state of parenting in many homes today. But at the same time, I dont think a voice chat service for a Sony or Nintendo console would prove any better. You've always had the option to mute people like this though, and the 360's new Gamer Reputation feature means that its far less likely that you will meet people like this if you have a good reputation. Of course a game like PSU wont be using Live360's rep-filters to put matches together, so you will still just have to be selective about the company you keep.
I'm kinda glad they are not linking the servers though. Having to type to non-360 players completly negates the positive aspects of voice chat, and I think most 360 users would keep to themselves for that reason anyway. And dispite being a smaller gamer base, PSOX was always a fun place to be.

Inazuma
May 21, 2006, 02:41 PM
this is a little off-topic but i remember hearing on a podcast that nintendo filed a patent for some special way to do voice-to-text.

the way they explained it was like this:
youd talk into the headset like normal, the game would interpret it and display it as text for everyone else to read. however the big thing was, the text size, color, style etc would vary depending on how you spoke.

so for example if you talk quiet, the text would be blue and small. and if you were yelling it could show up as red and big. anyway, it sounds like it could be really interesting and work out quite well.

Nedeti
May 21, 2006, 03:34 PM
i think PS2 would be better, since most of the PS2 owners and major gamers are mature. Xbox from what i have seen and from the clients who bought the console back when i used to work at ebgames store were kids from 7-12 years old acting dumb "i want Halo dad!"

CaptainJebus
May 21, 2006, 05:25 PM
I know way more spoiled brats with a Ps2 than I do with an Xbox. Honestly the fact that not all Ps2 games compatible with voice chat, and they don't have one giant unifed service like XBL. I do hope the servers are together just for the fact I refuse to buy a PS2 to play and I have no clue when I will upgrade my Pc or get a new one, so its easier to just play on my 360.

Shinjiro
May 21, 2006, 05:37 PM
There are things like ventrilo and teamspeak for PSU... if you wanna group with some buddies, you can do that; That way random people cant run into the server and scream random obsenities, and all that.