PDA

View Full Version : Newman religion

SekotheFOmar
May 18, 2006, 04:58 PM
Since the Newman race is religious in some ways, maybe us fellow newmans should make up a few procedures for worshipping what ever god newmans worship...just an idea

ShadowDragon28
May 18, 2006, 05:07 PM
" By the photons comes the radiance, by the radiance comes the wisdom, The Great Light shines it's sacred rays of photons upon all in Creation. Hark to the past and hark to the now, this alliance protects us, by the virtues of The Great Light's Power, we are One. "
( my made-up "saying" from the Newmans' religion )

Newman's are most likely Shinto-like Animist-Monists I think.

Kyunji
May 18, 2006, 05:08 PM
This would explain the "worship" lobby action.

Kupi
May 18, 2006, 05:19 PM
Personally, I'd hesistate to make any canonical statements (pun unintended) until we have the actual offline game's story to refer to.

Axios-
May 18, 2006, 05:21 PM
Newmans are scientologists.

ShadowDragon28
May 18, 2006, 05:48 PM
Lol... but um no. Photons seem to be the focus for the Newmans, not Body Thetans,alien souls inhabiting people, OT Levels or E-Meters, or any idolized, dead sci-fi author....

Look at the priest and priestess outfits, the look very much like Shinto priest and priestess kimono-robes.

And I did mention I made up the saying, and that I am making an approximate guess using what info there is on New Daiz and the Newmans, they *seem* like Shinto-like
Animist-Monists.

hypersaxon
May 18, 2006, 06:23 PM
For those that don't remember, the Great Light is the being who created the Algo Solar System in the old games http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

oShojino
May 18, 2006, 06:28 PM
This is a very interesting idea, Ill be waiting for more of the offline mode though to see Newmans and the Graal Religion play out.

zandra117
May 18, 2006, 10:19 PM
On 2006-05-18 15:07, ShadowDragon28 wrote:
" By the photons comes the radiance, by the radiance comes the wisdom, The Great Light shines it's sacred rays of photons upon all in Creation. Hark to the past and hark to the now, this alliance protects us, by the virtues of The Great Light's Power, we are One. "
( my made-up "saying" from the Newmans' religion )

sounds like you took one of the covenant prophet's sermons from the halo books and changed a few words around. lol

Brus
May 18, 2006, 10:24 PM
If great light is mentioned I wonder if we'll see the return of the profound darkness.

Tycho
May 19, 2006, 08:43 AM
>_> I'm clueless as to why an artificially created race that started out in a scientific era would have a religion in the first place... especially if it's supposed to be an intelligent race

Kano-Okami
May 19, 2006, 09:06 AM
Well, if you look at the strongest enfluences on people throughout the ages, its usually been religion, yet most were oblivious/droned to its power..
After all,
Nobody expects the newman inquisition,
xD

Oji_Retta
May 19, 2006, 09:10 AM
On 2006-05-19 06:43, Tycho wrote:
>_> I'm clueless as to why an artificially created race that started out in a scientific era would have a religion in the first place... especially if it's supposed to be an intelligent race

Religion has nothing to do with intelligence. Albert Einstein was a genius and he had a religion. No matter how far in the future you look, there is always religion even if it is reduced to cult type things ^_^.

Rihcky
May 19, 2006, 09:18 AM
^There is no denying that the majority scientists ar not religious. So a race that consists of scientists being very religious is just akward.

Shivore
May 19, 2006, 10:20 AM
Um excuse me, Isaac Newton, Albert Einstein, Thomas Edison, Charles Darwin, Copernicus, Galileo I could go on and on and on and on and on...

Get over it, scientists tend to have a religion just like everyone else.

That said, I hope the Newman religion won't feature much. If it does, okay, but I'd prefer them not to dwell.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shivore on 2006-05-19 08:21 ]</font>

Oji_Retta
May 19, 2006, 10:29 AM
On 2006-05-19 07:18, Rihcky wrote:
^There is no denying that the majority scientists ar not religious. So a race that consists of scientists being very religious is just akward.

Actually, that statement you made isn't that accurate ^_^. A lot of scientists are portrayed as not being religious because they are proffesional. But there are a good number of religious scientists (I think maybe the majority...depends how you define religious though) . About 2/3 of scientists believe in God/A God (not necesarily religious though).

Rihcky
May 19, 2006, 12:03 PM
I guess its a cultural difference. I know quite a few academics and only very few of those are religious. Then again, atheism is dominant here.

Bastille
May 19, 2006, 01:01 PM
As required by the church, we also have to show the alternative to the theory of evolution...

*Jeannie appears and starts making animals appear by magic*

Shivore
May 19, 2006, 01:14 PM
Uh, let's not let this thread go there. Believe me when I get involved in Creation vs. Evolution... it's not pretty. More like frustrating for everyone. I say we get back on topic.

ShadowDragon28
May 19, 2006, 01:22 PM
I actually have not played Halo or Halo 2, so I've never seen that stuff you mentioned. I really just made up that whole saying off the top of my mind.

My hypothesis is that "Seed" is the Profound Darkness reborn. But that's just speculation on my part.

Bastille
May 19, 2006, 01:27 PM
On 2006-05-19 11:14, Shivore wrote:
Uh, let's not let this thread go there. Believe me when I get involved in Creation vs. Evolution... it's not pretty. More like frustrating for everyone. I say we get back on topic.

I just felt like paraphrasing Family Guy <_< I say paraphrase because I would have liked to directly quote it but couldn't remember it exactly