PDA

View Full Version : Aside from the two specials for beasts and casts

Bastille
May 18, 2006, 05:54 PM
What other race related things are there, besides how their stats grow? I know in PSO, casts were unaffected by the majority of status effects as well as having HP regen but that was balanced out by them not being able to use techs. Now since casts can use techs, as long as they are forces, do they still keep the benefits they had in PSO? Also, what benefits do humans have in this one if any?

Axios-
May 18, 2006, 05:56 PM
So far they keep saying that they have no special ability. Some people will say that humans' "uber-balance" is their ability, but...just no. Newmans and humans don't have an ability on par with beasts' nanoblast and casts' SUV weapons.

Ryna
May 18, 2006, 05:57 PM
Just to note, Casts are affected by status conditions such as poison now.

Bastille
May 18, 2006, 06:04 PM
Do casts still have HP regen and newmans TP?

Axios-
May 18, 2006, 06:09 PM
I don't think that casts have HP regen anymore, and since there is no TP, Newmans don't regenerate it.

Bastille
May 18, 2006, 06:12 PM
Then what do I have to cast spells with now? I liked abusing TP mats <_<

Edit: NM... I must have missed that section while I was looking at the techs... Hmm grand now I get to play around with switching weapons between one designed for death and one designed for assistance while I play

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bastille on 2006-05-18 16:15 ]</font>

hypersaxon
May 18, 2006, 06:14 PM
You cast spells using PP, or Photon Points. They're related to your weapon, not your character. So in order to get more points, you either enhance your weapon or buy a better one I guess.

RFB
May 18, 2006, 06:15 PM
Each weapon has a PP bar. Same applies for wands & staves. When you cast a spell, you use up part of the weapon's PP bar. Thats what you'll be using.

Oh, and you shouldnt abuse PP restoration items... they're damn expensive =/

Axios-
May 18, 2006, 06:15 PM
All weapons are based off PP now.

Every weapon in Phantasy Star Universe has a PP gauge. If you use a Photon Art, the meter will decrease. If you run out of PP, you will be unable to use the Photon Art anymore. PP recharges at a slow rate while you have the weapon equipped. Also, you can recharge your PP between missions by using special recharging cubes.

PP is also used on force weapons to use technics (spells).

Bastille
May 18, 2006, 06:23 PM
Such a huge change... I liked the old way where I could equip a 195 mind mag and put on 4 god minds at level one then abuse as high of a level tech disk as I could then use god techs to push them to 30 and then go nuts in the ruins for a fast way to level up a force <_<

Did anyone who acted as a force for most of the beta find it hard to adjust to that system?

Axios-
May 18, 2006, 06:27 PM
On 2006-05-18 16:23, Bastille wrote:
Such a huge change... I liked the old way where I could equip a 195 mind mag and put on 4 god minds at level one then abuse as high of a level tech disk as I could then use god techs to push them to 30 and then go nuts in the ruins for a fast way to level up a force <_<

The system was probably partially implemented to stop people from doing stuff like that. However, I do see where you're coming from, and I liked doing that too. ^ ^;

Nedeti
May 18, 2006, 06:31 PM
Did anyone who acted as a force for most of the beta find it hard to adjust to that system?

Razon, Inazuma and Kairi were Force in the beta and they masterd the system quickly. Once you all play the game, you'll notice its far more easier then what you're currently reading.

oShojino
May 18, 2006, 06:33 PM
On 2006-05-18 16:23, Bastille wrote:

Its a definite adjustment, you tend to run out of pp..especially when you like to spam area spells <oh how I miss spamming rafoie and rabarta on my FOnewm>. Its sad to say that nothing really makes humans and newmans stand out, like beasts and casts specials. I really hope they change this..or at least allow some hybriding or some race only weapons..it all feels the same =/

hypersaxon
May 18, 2006, 06:34 PM
Just a quick question, wanted some clarity on something from people who've played the beta. Do technics level up the same way that Photon Arts do, by using them over and over? Or do you still have to buy different level spells in order to enhance the power, duration, etc.

physic
May 18, 2006, 06:36 PM
im guessing there will be some race only things, and as far as SUV goes, it uses up a slot that could be used for garment aura, id expect that slot will contain most of the special looking, and psoosibly powerfull looking stuff. As for beast it remains to be seen how much their horrible ata will come in to play at higher levels.

Its also important to note that hu and newman tap or whatever is much higher than the differences in other stats.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: physic on 2006-05-18 16:37 ]</font>

Bastille
May 18, 2006, 06:36 PM
I take it the race boosts for the techs are taken out as well? Also, are the PMs able to boost our stats like the mags could or is leveling their stats just to determine how well they can help you when they reach their humanoid form, and then do armor still have slots and the basic units are still the same?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bastille on 2006-05-18 16:56 ]</font>

REJ-
May 18, 2006, 06:53 PM
Perhaps, Humans and Newmans have superior stats at higher levels compared to Casts and Beasts, to compensate for the lack of special moves.

Bastille
May 18, 2006, 06:59 PM
As long as each race has its own pros and cons that are somewhat balanced for each race, I'll be happy

Kyuu
May 18, 2006, 07:27 PM
On 2006-05-18 16:36, Bastille wrote:
I take it the race boosts for the techs are taken out as well? Also, are the PMs able to boost our stats like the mags could or is leveling their stats just to determine how well they can help you when they reach their humanoid form, and then do armor still have slots and the basic units are still the same?
From what I understand, the PM is completely different from the PSO Mag, and will not boost your stats in any way. Leveling them will be to increase their chance to successfully do an Item Synthesis, perhaps certain recipes will require a higher PM level?, and of course to get them to humanoid form where they can battle with you.
As long as each race has its own pros and cons that are somewhat balanced for each race, I'll be happyAye, I feel the same... I just don't see anything that balances out humans and especially newmans (main advantage being TAP, which is useless to every class except forces). With any luck, there will be some things in the full game that change this...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kyuu on 2006-05-18 17:28 ]</font>

oShojino
May 18, 2006, 07:34 PM
Spells level up with repeated uses just like PAs, and the race bonuses were taken out for spell damage. Beast ATA isnt as horrid as you think it is, sure with guns its glaringly obvious (even still though with gun PA's the ATA of the PA increases as you use it, and since with guns you're always using the PA that increases your accuracy with the gun overall) but with melee weapons its barely noticable.

At the moment the only pros Newmans have over the races are stats in EVP TAP and MST, and only FOrces use TAP MST (not confirmed). Humans overall "balance" isnt really that much of a pro either... especially in a system that has no hybriding, if anything they're a race of convinence... but with units anyone can overcome stat obstacles. As it stands Beasts and Casts have huge pros with their specials, Humans and Newmans Pros just dont stack up against them.

Bastille
May 18, 2006, 07:38 PM
What does TAP stand for? Tech attack power?

Kyuu
May 18, 2006, 08:40 PM
On 2006-05-18 17:38, Bastille wrote:
What does TAP stand for? Tech attack power?

Yep. TAP is what determines your strength with techniques. MST is now your resistance to damage from techniques (that's the rumor, anyway).

Saner
May 18, 2006, 08:43 PM
On 2006-05-18 15:57, Ryna wrote:
Just to note, Casts are affected by status conditions such as poison now.

yum! just like PSIII. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Bastille
May 18, 2006, 11:15 PM
I know I am pretty much correct to assume materials are out, but are units still in? It just won't be as fun for me when I play as something besides a force if I don't have god/battle <_<

physic
May 19, 2006, 12:26 AM
units exist, god battle may or may not exist, different weapons have way different speeds now though. sword is very slow for example

Bastille
May 19, 2006, 12:41 PM
Are section ids still in place? Since the main character in story mode has a preset name, I take it that they aren't.

Kyuu
May 19, 2006, 02:37 PM
There have been no sightings of anything like a Section ID, no.

Bastille
May 19, 2006, 04:50 PM
And there goes further diversity and promoting multiple characters down the hole <_<

Parn
May 19, 2006, 04:57 PM
Yeah, because getting item drops based on your character name made so much sense. Oh wow, I get mostly rifles on my hunter because my alias is Parn! How incredibly useful!

Jesus...

Oji_Retta
May 19, 2006, 05:06 PM
On 2006-05-19 14:57, Parn wrote:
Yeah, because getting item drops based on your character name made so much sense. Oh wow, I get mostly rifles on my hunter because my alias is Parn! How incredibly useful!

Jesus...

Thankyou Parn. Same kind of thing happened to me.

Saner
On 2006-05-19 14:50, Bastille wrote:
And there goes further diversity and promoting multiple characters down the hole <_<

it's actually a blessing, Section ID was horrible only being able to find certain drops.

I really wouldn't call it diversity when its heavily flawed.

Bastille
It promoted people to have multiple characters as well as to trade with others and befriend others <_<

Saner
May 19, 2006, 05:08 PM
On 2006-05-19 15:06, Bastille wrote:
It promoted people to have multiple characters as well as to trade with others and befriend others <_<

not everyone likes using more than 1 character.

and you can still befriend and trade normally without such a restricting feature. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Parn
May 19, 2006, 05:11 PM
On 2006-05-19 15:06, Bastille wrote:
In theory, sure. All it did was lead people into making multiple characters with specific names and piping for their rare drops off of rare enemies based on certain section IDs.

Every other online game out manages to have players trade items with each other just fine. Section IDs were a broken concept and that's why they tossed it out. Good riddance.

Bastille
May 19, 2006, 05:12 PM
Eh, I guess with the new system for rares and such that creating balanced item drops for each section id would be pretty hard... And I guess no one wants to find out that the name they want to use gets them the equivalent of a bluefull ID or whichever one it was that got shafted majorly

Parn
May 19, 2006, 05:17 PM
Precisely. People started favoring one section ID over another, and it wasn't uncommon to have people add spaces after their name JUST to get a different section ID.

Saner
May 19, 2006, 05:20 PM
yup that's what I did to get Redria. lol. what a broken item drop system that was. it was obvious from the start people would exploit it in the most ridiculous ways. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

-Klaus-
May 19, 2006, 05:27 PM
On 2006-05-19 14:57, Parn wrote:

Jesus...

Laughing my freakin' arse off XD

I couldn't agree more, Parn.

Bastille
May 19, 2006, 05:30 PM
I got lucky that Kagome got redria for my FOnewearl when I started playing PSO on the GCN... Aside from a few articles that I didn't pay much attention to back in the DC days of PSO, I didn't know anything about it so it was a major fluke that I got one of the two IDs that would have suited me, and I actually did prefer being a redria over a pinkal since I just later made a pinkal hunter to collect things for my force while he went around murdering things in great armor.

While it did promote people to favor certain IDs over others as well as force some people to change the names they wanted, it also allowed people to find items that were more geared towards the character they wanted.

Authenticate
May 19, 2006, 06:37 PM
It promoted people to trade and befriend people with nice section IDs, you mean.

"You have Bluefull? Funk you man. Get the hell away from me, I don't even want to know you. Oh hey! What's up, dude with a Redria ID. Wanna play a few games together, since we're like best friends and all?"

They should just give humans and newmans neato abilities anyway. Something flashy at least. Humans should get something that helps all the classes equally, and newmans should get something more Force centered (but can also help out a newman hunter/ranger). Maybe make their abilities more defense based? Like Newmans could use their mental prowess to reinforce their shield line so that it gives a better defense boost and more resistance to tech attacks?

I dunno, just rantin', I guess.