PDA

View Full Version : Question to Beta Forces: Technics and Weapons

Spellbinder
May 21, 2006, 03:38 PM
I was watching one of the videos of a Force playing and a question dawned on me. Since a Force needs to carry a few wands or staves around to alternate between different Technics, is there any way to know which weapon has what? I'd imagine players would have a hard time fumbling through weapons looking for the right one, when they all have the same generic picture of a weapon when scrolling through a list to switch.

Dre_o
May 21, 2006, 04:09 PM
Did you notice the colors? The colors coorespond to the type of tech like so:

Yellow= Zonde
Red= Foie
Blue= Barta
Dark Red= Deega
White= Resta/ anti like tech (forgot name)
Purple= Dark

That is from what I know. Though I know you can set different element techs to different wands. I guess you just have to have good memory.

Spellbinder
May 21, 2006, 04:14 PM
I'm not exactly sure what part of the game you're talking about when you refer to colors, but I'm referring to when you bring up the small window where you switch weapons.

For a Force, they'd all just be pictures of the same generic wand or staff, so I'm wondering how one would tell which wand/staff has what Technics.

mechatra
May 21, 2006, 05:11 PM
Well...

The way the weapon symbols work is, if the weapon has an elemental affinty (meaning it has a different coloured photon on it) the symbol for it will be the same colour as its photon affinity.

For example a purple saber will have a purple symbol.

You could use this by say...
equip a yellow handgun dual wielding with your cane that you have Zonde techniques on.

Also. You can make canes and staves elemental affintys, but it is done slightly differently than making or buying them. To change the colour of the photon on a stave or cane, you must fill all of its tech slots with the same element tech.

For example a green photon (standard) cane will turn red if you put both foie and rafoie on it. This will also change it's symbol red.

Does that help?

Spellbinder
May 21, 2006, 05:13 PM
Yes... yes it does. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I've been hypothesizing different setups in my head, and was wondering what would happen if I had resta and 3 other techs of the same element on the staff. Would it no longer have an affinity since there are two elements on the staff?

mechatra
May 21, 2006, 05:18 PM
Exactly. Since staves take 4 techs its slightly harder to give them an affinty. Resta and the new anti-status spell are both light elemental.

Also as most people should know by now, there seems to be two new classes of spells - Nosu and Damu.

All the basic spells seem to be single projectile attacks.

the Ra series of spells all attack a targeted area with a kind of area-blast.

By the looks of the pictures Gi technique are all moves that surround your character.

So things seem to be quite organised on the technics side.

Ryna
May 21, 2006, 05:19 PM
On 2006-05-21 15:13, Spellbinder wrote:
Yes... yes it does. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif I've been hypothesizing different setups in my head, and was wondering what would happen if I had resta and 3 other techs of the same element on the staff. Would it no longer have an affinity since there are two elements on the staff?

To have an "affinity," all of the techs on the weapon must be from the same family. So, if the three other techs are light-element techs on your Resta staff, you will have a light-element weapon.

If one of the techs on the weapon is not of the same family, you will not gain the boost.

mechatra
May 21, 2006, 05:21 PM
Oh yeah ^

I forgot to mention the boost Ryna is speaking of. Having an elemental affinity on a Fo weapon gives a damage boost to all the technics of that element (so obviously all the technics on the weapon)

Tycho
May 21, 2006, 05:36 PM
On 2006-05-21 15:19, Ryna wrote:
If one of the techs on the weapon is not of the same family, you will not gain the boost.

Ah? If I may ask, does anyone know what exactly this boost is?

vitius137
May 21, 2006, 07:16 PM
what I think they are saying is that if you have all of the same element type techniques (all foies or bartas ect.) then those spells will be more powerful.

Inazuma
May 21, 2006, 07:17 PM
it was 4% boost when i tried it.

also btw, you can just equip 2 of the same element on a 2 hand staff and it will still get the bonus. however, you are wasting 2 slots..

unless there is a way to really improve that boost a whole lot, it doesnt seem like a good idea. a small damage boost is not nearly as good as having resta on the same staff.

i can see this mainly being useful for easy areas where you dont need resta available.

Spellbinder
May 21, 2006, 08:03 PM
Well here's wishful thinking that in the future, there will be a way to perhaps label what's what in some unique way when switching weapons. I'm sure I won't be the only Force that doesn't have all spells of the same family on their weapons for convenient color coding, hehe.

Ryna
May 21, 2006, 08:08 PM
On 2006-05-21 15:36, Tycho wrote:

Let's say I have a cane with no techs currently assigned to it. If I put Zonde on it, its type will turn to yellow and it will have a 2% yellow bonus. If I also put Razonde on the cane, the yellow bonus will go up to 4%.

Kyuu
May 21, 2006, 08:36 PM
Ah, and so furthering what Ryna's saying, if you put resta, the anti-status spell, and a grants (if that spell still exists) on a two-handed staff, it'd be a light element staff with a 6% bonus? And if there was one more light spell you could add, then with a staff you could get up to an 8% bonus?

Ryna
May 21, 2006, 08:40 PM
On 2006-05-21 18:36, Kyuu wrote:
Ah, and so furthering what Ryna's saying, if you put resta, the anti-status spell, and a grants (if that spell still exists) on a two-handed staff, it'd be a light element staff with a 6% bonus? And if there was one more light spell you could add, then with a staff you could get up to an 8% bonus?

We can be fairly certain that there will be additional bonuses for having 3 and 4 of the same type of tech on a staff. However, since there was only two techs available from any tech-family, we can't say for certain what the percentages will be. The bonuses may end up being 8% and 16% in your scenario.

Shrevn
May 21, 2006, 09:38 PM
so for example i can put foie,rafoie,gafoie on a staff and i cant cast resta id have to equip another staff in order to resta?... that doesnt seem fair... since hunter/rangers get their abilities nomatter what they wear

Axios-
May 21, 2006, 09:39 PM
You can attach foie, rafoie, gifoie, and resta on a staff. You just won't get the boost to foie techs. At least, that's what I gather; someone correct me otherwise.

Witchblade56
May 22, 2006, 05:29 AM
Ok so Ryna and mech have been kind enough to answer the forgoing questions about elemental % boosts.

My question is this: Are there ways to make macros in this game that allow for the casting and quick changing of equips to correspond with the spell you would want to cast? It would seem to make it easier on the force to quick switch a stave/wand/club using macros rather than going into the equipment menus.

Let me give an example. In FFXI I can make a macro that looked like this:

/equip main "Vulcan's Staff"
/ma "Firaga III" <t>
/wait 1
/party [Firaga] III =====> [<t>]

Barring the party notification that i was rearranging the target mob on the subatomic level does PSU allow for equipmant macros that work in conjunction with spellcasting?

Thank you in advance for any replies http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Witchblade56 on 2006-05-22 03:30 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Witchblade56 on 2006-05-22 03:33 ]</font>

Spellbinder
May 22, 2006, 06:34 AM
Ahh... the naughty macros of FFXI... how I abused them so. I must have had at least 200 macroes for my Summoner.. *has reoccuring macro nightmare*

Shrevn
May 22, 2006, 09:53 AM
heh spellbinder beat me to it... the lazy warrior macro
/ja provoke
/wait 5
/ja provoke
/wait 5
/ja provoke
/say Man this is boring! lol...

Spellbinder
May 22, 2006, 10:39 AM
Not to tread too far off topic but, it's not that I had a string of them to let the game run by itself, its just that I made a set of 20 or so macros per Avatar + macros for healing = too much stuff :S

Back on topic: Um..go technics?

zandra117
May 22, 2006, 10:51 AM
On 2006-05-21 18:08, Ryna wrote:

On 2006-05-21 15:36, Tycho wrote:

Let's say I have a cane with no techs currently assigned to it. If I put Zonde on it, its type will turn to yellow and it will have a 2% yellow bonus. If I also put Razonde on the cane, the yellow bonus will go up to 4%.

Can you equip a cane with no techs assigned to it, If you can can you melee attack with it.

Lyrise
May 22, 2006, 11:12 AM
You can equip a weapon with no techniques linked to it; you won't be able to do a thing with it though - no techniques = no usable commands = no melee.

Witchblade56
May 22, 2006, 12:38 PM
Alright so we would have to manually switch staves if we wanted to use different techs is that it? That isnt so bad if the interface is quick i suppose. *Reallly hopes theres macros that can be written though*

/sigh I guess I'm spoiled http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Saner
May 22, 2006, 01:20 PM
Why did they include voices for created characters? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

"oh meh gai! oh meh gai! duh! oh meh gai!!" http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif

well gotta get used to it. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

one thing's for sure. Forces will be the noisiest while Rangers will be the quietest class. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saner on 2006-05-22 11:22 ]</font>